• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: Nintendo Switch sells 80,000 in the UK in its opening weekend

legend166

Yeah I think the next few months are definitely going to be rough. I think that's the price Nintendo is paying to get the system out this financial year.

Honestly, I think E3 is going to be a critical event for the future of the Switch. Not because it impacts customer sentiment directly or anything, but Nintendo need to show that combining their platforms has actually had the effect of increasing software output. Currently I can't see any evidence of that. Nintendo should be publishing 20+ titles a year for the Switch based on combined Wii U/3DS output.

Kebiinu

Banned
What of Mario Kart? And are there any big releases in May? ARMS will release sometime this Spring, and we still have Splatoon 2; perhaps this Summer? I wish they would lift the shroud covering these release dates...would help a lot.

Mory Dunz

How many of those drive units though? Like sure maybe those titles will push some players to buy a Switch alongside let's say Zelda that they really want. But I doubt people will buy a Switch for Lego/Yooka Laylee/Sonic specifically.

of the non first party games, I could see Sonic 2017, and DQ11 in Japan driving units. But that's about it. I think Yooka could if it was a simultaneous release.

I do think as a whole they make the lineup more attractive and may drive units in a collaborative sense. Like when a Mario odyssey drops, people on the edge could go, "oh and I could get sonic, minecraft, yooka too. Hm, maybe I'll purchase one".

NSESN

Yeah I think the next few months are definitely going to be rough. I think that's the price Nintendo is paying to get the system out this financial year.

Honestly, I think E3 is going to be a critical event for the future of the Switch. Not because it impacts customer sentiment directly or anything, but Nintendo need to show that combining their platforms has actually had the effect of increasing software output. Currently I can't see any evidence of that. Nintendo should be publishing 20+ titles a year for the Switch based on combined Wii U/3DS output.

It's not like Nintendo announced all of their 2017 games, I believe we will see new stuff at E3 just like happenned with 3D World. And 3DS still is a major platform for Nintendo, so Switch won't have all of Nintendo output.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So folks are saying that selling twice as many as the WiiU at launch is now a good thing. Okay. Good luck with that.

Mory Dunz

hm, looking over at data that we have from 2015, PS4 likely outsold 3DS in France in 2016 as well as 2015. Games on PS4 also sold better in 2015, so it is unlikely that it changed in 2016:
http://www.lefigaro.fr/secteur/high...-console-la-plus-vendue-en-france-en-2015.php

Thats not to say that Nintendo does not have good sales in France, it does.

software wise, you don't compare Nintendo to PS4. It's compared to Activision, EA, Sony, etc. I believe that's what he meant by "video game seller". Dunno if they're actually first though.

NSESN

software wise, you don't compare Nintendo to PS4. It's compared to Activision, EA, Sony, etc. I believe that's what he meant by "video game seller". Dunno if they're actually first though.

They are, see Lord Kano post in previous pages.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Lego City is genuinely entertaining, so it should get some buzz that it did not get on the WiiU with its multi-platform re-release

I also have a sneaking suspicion PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game will fare far behind Switch's.

sensi97

gtj1092

They sell more consoles and more games. As a video game seller, they're number one in that country.
We don't have hard data for anything else.

3DS outsold PS4 last year? I want proof. Even your numbers show that ps4 has been selling better than 3DS since it launched.

Going to drop this though as this is the UK sales thread.

He is clearly saying Nintendo generates more revenue than PlayStation and is the market leader. My question was specific. So yes you add Activision EA and Sony. The majority of their sales are on PlayStation.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Of course Activision, EA, Warner Bros. et al count. when it comes to revenue.

Are you saying Nintendo generates more revenue than PlayStation in France?
Yes.

Of course Sony can't claim 100% of a game sale, but they get their licensing fee for every produced disc for that market. Which in turns means every game sold on PS4 in France + an unknown number is part of the money made in France by PlayStation.

Do you have a quote about the 3DS being the best selling console in France ? I didn't find it in the article. Or do you mean LTD ?

This seems to overlook a pretty big point:

And, in case you're solely asking about hardware, the 3DS is currently at 4.7 millions units sold (until January 2017), and is the best selling console in the country.
http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article...8_4408996.html

The 3DS is at 4.7 million and launched in March of 2011.

The PS4 is at 3.2 million and launched in November 2013.

The PS4 is selling at a faster rate than the 3DS is. It's just sold less total due to the 2 and a half year head start by the 3DS.

sensi97

3DS outsold PS4 last year? I want proof. Even your numbers show that ps4 has been selling better than 3DS since it launched.

Going to drop this though as this is the UK sales thread.

Just for reference and I'll stop posting about it too but we have these numbers from articles posted in this thread:

PS4 LTD end of 2015 : 2,150K (link)
PS4 LTD end of 2016 : 3,221K (link)

700K 3DS sold in 2016 (link)

So the PS4 likely outsold the 3DS in 2016 in France (1M vs 700K)

EmiPrime

Blind faith / hope. The trials and tribulations of being a Nintendo fan...in the UK.

My prediction: this thing is gonna be dead within a year by way of retailers dropping it or something else. Either that or a price cut / ambassador programme of some sorts. Maybe it'll be relegate to a tiny shelf in some retailers like Wii U was. I hope I'm completely wrong, but I don't have faith at £280 with PS4/XBO available for less in a market which isn't Nintendo-friendly.

This is a very real proposition, it happened to the Wii U after all. If this system is only getting 2 or 3 retail releases a month what's in it for retailers? Consoles and accessories take up a lot of warehouse space and tend to have slim margins, they need to make money off of software to justify that. If Switch console sales are middling and Nintendo aren't giving retailers a steady stream of software to sell they're going to dump it or just relegate it to a few chart titles on the amiibo shelves. Nintendo UK can't afford a slow start, if retailers give up on it it will be very difficult to recover from.

They needed to go in all guns blazing instead we have what resembles the Wii U post-launch retail release schedule. Shopto have 20 retail Switch games for order or pre-order and that includes Q4 games like Mario Odyssey, FE Warriors and Xenoblade 2 as well as SMT which is a long way off. That is dreadful.

Fdkn

Comparing LTD sales of a feb 2011 system vs a nov2013 system to argue market leaders sure is weird

PS4 has been the most sold console since its release and PS4 software has been leading the yearly charts since then too, so obviously ps4 is the current market leader in France and it narrows the LTD gap every year.

Those are facts and have nothing to do with Nintendo being fine in France.

dc89

One of the big problems I see it having in the UK is RRP in-store prices for games. Zelda is £59.99 in Game, for the normal version. That's ridiculous.

Yeah when I went to get the Wii U version on Friday I went to Game, primarily to see if they had a Switch demo unit - they didn't. I saw Zelda for £59.99 and walked to Argos where it was £47.99. Still expensive, but a damn sight better than the best part of 60 notes!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Isn't this number always just "here's how many units we provided".

I'm sure every console sells out on launch pretty much. It's all about how much they actually supple. PS4 nailed its production and got loads into the channel. Sony smashed it this gen.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I also have a sneaking suspicion PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game will fare far behind Switch's.

Well yeah, PS4 and XB1 gamers also have a lot more choice and diversity when it comes to deciding which recent release to pick up. The last month has already been crazy for PS4.

Shiggy

Well yeah, PS4 and XB1 gamers also have a lot more choice and diversity when it comes to deciding which recent release to pick up. The last month has already been crazy for PS4.

Surprisingly, even the Wii U has more retail titles coming for the rest of the month than the Switch (in the UK).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The Wii comparisons make no sense. The wii didn't take off from the start. the Wii u took off at the start in comparison in some areas and it's sitting at 13m shipped?

Yes it did. It definately wasn't a slwo burner. It was just supply consistently didn't match the demand so it's sales for it's entire first year were supply constrained.

The Wii comparisons make no sense. The wii didn't take off from the start. the Wii u took off at the start in comparison in some areas and it's sitting at 13m shipped?

The Wii was the pretty much the best selling system ever in its first year. I think maybe the PS2 and GBA are the only other systems that really rival or maybe sold faster than it did worldwide.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yes it did. It definately wasn't a slwo burner. It was just supply consistently didn't match the demand so it's sales for it's entire first year were supply constrained.

Of course it took off from the start (even though you're right that it was supply constrained). As user JoshuaJSlone pointed out back when he was monitoring Wii sales back in the day, the Wii had the most stock of any system - including the PS2 and DS -, and yet was consistently sold out. And that went on for literally years, at least in the US. Nothing is touching the Wii anytime soon. The Switch is having a great start, and its lifetime sales could very well exceed what many people are expecting, but it isn't anywhere near as transformative as the Wii to achieve the same kind of success. Nothing is, honestly.

Top Bottom