• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: Nintendo Switch sells 80,000 in the UK in its opening weekend

Bumhead

Banned
Nintendo leaving the door open for 3rd parties never works out. If no third party wants to launch a major effort at launch and are all doing the wait and see approach then imo you just do what you gotta do.

If they didnt wanna hurt third parties then I still dont see why end of April is their next big title. You have 1 retail game coming in that span from third parties. Why care this early given they are not producing on your platform at all?

I'm not talking about the likes of EA and Activision regarding support that isn't there. I'm talking about those that ARE.

If the Switch launches day one with Zelda and Mario Kart, then who is buying Bomberman, Fast RMX etc? Zelda is a lock for most day one buyers, but I think Mario Kart launching alongside it sucks the air out of the room for everybody else.

It looks better on a list and I personally wish we had it now, but I'm not convinced releasing MK8 now is better for business.

A little lower than I'd like, but 'double the Wii U' is about what I'd expect.

I doubt we'll get a price drop this summer, as UK retailers did for the Wii U.

Which sucks for me lol

Oregano

I'm not talking about the likes of EA and Activision regarding support that isn't there. I'm talking about those that ARE.

If the Switch launches day one with Zelda and Mario Kart, then who is buying Bomberman, Fast RMX etc? Zelda is a lock for most day one buyers, but I think Mario Kart launching alongside it sucks the air out of the room for everybody else.

It looks better on a list and I personally wish we had it now, but I'm not convinced releasing MK8 now is better for business.

I actually think the spaced releases have nothing to do with third parties. It's simply about keeping people engaged and giving several pushes throughout the year. That's where Nintendo's platforms have struggled.

Bumhead

Banned
I actually think the spaced releases have nothing to do with third parties. It's simply about keeping people engaged and giving several pushes throughout the year. That's where Nintendo's platforms have struggled.

Oh yeah, absolutely. That's the other side of it and ties into what I meant by being better for business.

As I say I wish we had MK8 now, because then I'd have my Switch, but April isn't far off and that 2 month window is relatively nice to bring in another spike of interest (in theory and hopefully). ARMS and Splatoon aren't far off either after that, right?

The only real gap is between the summer and Mario/the Christmas period, but I'm still confident we haven't seen the last of reveals for this year.

Recall

So I saw a Switch out in the wild today. My Son had an appointment with the doctors today and a kid entered the waiting area playing on a Switch. Took me by surprise.

I've never seen anyone with a Vita or 3DS (mostly seen just OG ds lites at my son's school) so seeing the switch was unexpected. I know it means very little but I wonder how popular the Switch might become.

Madame M

Banned
The only shocking number in the OP is the XBox One first week sales lol.... seriously?

3DS seems high too, thing was way overpriced and had no launch games when it dropped.

KAL2006

Banned
Sales will definitely slow down. Price is too high for handheld market and Nintendo market.

Price drop and Pokémon in the fall will give it a nice boost.

groansey

Sales will definitely slow down. Price is too high for handheld market and Nintendo market.

I don't know if we'll see a drop, more likely 1, 2 Switch bundled and I'd guess some £300 MK, Zelda, Splatoon bundles. I can see the console gathering a lot of momentum this xmas if Pokemon is announced - Pokemon is what is needed if Nintendo are serious about this. They will clean up.

Hopefully by then the other issues will be sorted too.

Freeman76

Man that PS4 number will never be topped will it.

Haha nope. MS basically gave away 75k day one sales with their E3 balls up.

Good news for Ninty, hope the machine gets great support so I can buy one. Hoping for a MH, and a PSO. Then I will buy.

Considering that most people either skipped the Wii U (or were burned by their Wii U purchase) I would have expected the pent up demand to be larger for those wanting to get back into Nintendo gaming.

Once the core fans have their fill it seems like its going to struggle to shift units in the UK at this price.

nampad

Ok launch numbers but the legs are what matter. The supply of Nintendo games is decent but I am not sure if that is enough.

KAL2006

Banned
Switch needs to be £250 with a free game bundled in to have a chance.

I'm guessing at E3 Nintendo will announce emergency bundles, with preloaded games (not physical) to give Switch a boost in sales due to sales slowing down drastically in April and May.

Mario Kart 8 Red Switch Bundle - £250
Splatoon 2 Green/Purple Bundle - £250
Arms Gray Bundle - £250

Champion

Isn't Mario Odyssey scheduled for Holiday 2017? There's no way they're dropping the price if that games releases in Q3 along with Pokemon.

KAL2006

Banned
Isn't Mario Odyssey scheduled for Holiday 2017? There's no way they're dropping the price if that games releases in Q3 along with Pokemon.

Mario didn't save Wii U. And that was a 2D Mario which was is usually sells more.

Nintendo systems just don't sell at premium prices. The Wii U and 3DS launch is an example of this.

notaskwid

No way this console outsells PS4 with RDR2/Destiny 2 bundle for 199, or even gets close to it, without a 3ds like price drop.
Regardless of Mario or Pokemon.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That seems okay-to-moderately-good. Took me a while to find one, there's not a huge amount of stock left, which implies that it surpassed Nintendo's expectations and consequently ended up undersupplied. Now we just need to wait and see what kind of legs it has.

kunonabi

Considering that most people either skipped the Wii U (or were burned by their Wii U purchase) I would have expected the pent up demand to be larger for those wanting to get back into Nintendo gaming.

Once the core fans have their fill it seems like its going to struggle to shift units in the UK at this price.

I don't think all their core fans jumped in either. Just one person in my group of Nintendo diehards actually bought it. The rest of us are all waiting.

TheMan

Meh, Nintendo failed to feed the hype machine and besides Zelda (which by all metrics is outstanding), they failed to release a compelling slate of games. I still don't understand why they didn't let this bake in the oven a bit longer.

I guess the sales figures don't indicate complete failure but they also don't indicate that the world is welcoming Nintendo with open arms. Probably selling mostly to the hardcore fans who'll always be there. I want to see sales in 6 mo.

Meh, Nintendo failed to feed the hype machine and besides Zelda (which by all metrics is outstanding), they failed to release a compelling slate of games. I still don't understand why they didn't let this bake in the oven a bit longer.

But this isn't a failure? Considering the high price I'd say it was a success. Now with a price drop and Pokemon they'll be cooking.

KAL2006

Banned

I personally think it's just price.

If this was £250 with a game at launch I would have bited. £280 is crazy. PS4 is selling at £200 and that's getting crazy bundles like Horizon. Then we will get heavy hitters like Destiny 2 and Red Dead 2.

Nintendo need to drop prices drastically with more heavy hitters.

If they release Pokémon Stars Bundle for £250 they can get some sales in.

Scrawnton

Should have quoted, but my post was inspired by the user who said they'd 'clean up' with pokemon.
They could still clean up without beating PS4 because PS4 is selling so darn well all Nintendo has to do if sell 60% of that and I'd consider it a huge success.

2*wii is at least a sizable enough install base to have a business.

If they can sell 30 million switches, Nintendo will likely be profitable, and have at least a half dozen 5 million plus sellers in the next 5 or 6 years.

It's not enough to beat Sony air MS, but it's likely enough to keep them in business over the long term.

Thats a huge step down if we're counting the 3DS' 60+ million sold in the last 6 years alongside the Wii U's 14M. From ~80M to 30M is huge, even if its not as big as 250M to 80M.

I wonder if they're considering a DS successor at this point, or just pushing the Switch with price drops and expanded software lineups.

They could still clean up without beating PS4 because PS4 is selling so darn well all Nintendo has to do if sell 60% of that and I'd consider it a huge success.

Microsoft is doing about that and are considered a failure around these parts.

jonno394

Thats a huge step down if we're counting the 3DS' 60+ million sold in the last 6 years alongside the Wii U's 14M. From ~80M to 30M is huge, even if its not as big as 250M to 80M.

I wonder if they're considering a DS successor at this point, or just pushing the Switch with price drops and expanded software lineups..

Yeah the DS line is done now. 3DS will still sell well over the next 12-18 months, but the Switch is their new handheld. IMO they'll likely release a lower price SKU without the Dock and HDMI cables for people who just want to use it as a hand held.

LordKano

I guess the sales figures don't indicate complete failure but they also don't indicate that the world is welcoming Nintendo with open arms. Probably selling mostly to the hardcore fans who'll always be there. I want to see sales in 6 mo.

The amount of reaching to conclusion in this post is quite incredible.

Was, Sony is stronger now.

Switch wasn't sold out anywhere here, preordered mine the day before the release and got it day one, we'll see.

Nintendo is still leading the market in France, and by large.

The Wii U was such a major disaster with that 40K launch that doubling it is not a big achievement

but I expect the Switch to do much better overall, still won't ever come close the PS4/X1 numbers

LordKano

https://twitter.com/W_Chloe/status/827105644155170816
C3p4L95XAAA3lDN.jpg

And, in case you're solely asking about hardware, the 3DS is currently at 4.7 millions units sold (until January 2017), and is the best selling console in the country.
http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/articl...llions-de-jeux-en-france_5073558_4408996.html

Champion

Mario didn't save Wii U. And that was a 2D Mario which was is usually sells more.

Nintendo systems just don't sell at premium prices. The Wii U and 3DS launch is an example of this.
I think its more of a software issue rather than the price being the problem. The price will drop eventually but I dont think it would be done while simultaneously releasing Pokemon and Mario.

I wonder what France was like considering they seem to be a bigger fan of Nintendo than the UK.

I have a mate living in France and he's just posted on facebook that they are in stock at his local supermarket, anecdotal but it's at least a sign it's not sold out absolutely everywhere.

LordKasual

Banned
Well if a new Zelda could not pull big numbers, I wonder how it will work when the usual Nintendo dry months kick in. I have hardly heard any 3rd party ports/announcements. Kinda expecting CoD etc.
Nintendo leaving the door open for 3rd parties never works out. If no third party wants to launch a major effort at launch and are all doing the wait and see approach then imo you just do what you gotta do.

If they didnt wanna hurt third parties then I still dont see why end of April is their next big title. You have 1 retail game coming in that span from third parties. Why care this early given they are not producing on your platform at all?

Yeah they likely aren't coming. Switch is pretty much in the same position it was in with the Wii.

Not as severe, of course, but the same position. Devs don't care to downgrade their work to fit on a weak console.

Not to mention the loops they probably have to jump through to provide now-super-basic multiplayer and social features on a Nintendo console. So even if a game like CoD was coming, they probably still have to worry about Nintendo putting a hatchet to its established features.

Noticing this super familiar trend again is why I don't have a switch now, which is sad because i was really up for buying one on launch day. Same shit, different year.

Top Bottom