• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: Nintendo Switch sells 80,000 in the UK in its opening weekend

faridmon

That is really a fact?

Wii is the best selling console in UK ever if I'm not wrong (wrong... read the edit).

Blame Wii U and not the market because like UK everybody else didn't buy it... if Nintendo makes a console that the market wants to buy (like Wii) then it will sell great.

Edit - Wii was the fastest console seller in UK but after it was discontinued 360 outsold it.

3DS and Wii sales weren't good in UK in comparison to other markets, that should be the proof, no?

openrob

When more games drop I expect sales, (Mario Kart, I'm looking at you!) but they HAVE to do better with advertising. My local game is currently decked out with Horizon promotional material, and I'm just thinking, "this is a console launch!".

Y

That's my point. The game sold everything it could within the limits of its userbase. More than 8 millions units on a 13M userbase means an attach ratio of more than 60%. It's insane. It has the potential to sell way more.

Ok, but your prior post said 8.3 million was low( maybe you said something before that I missed). Which I took as a criticism of its sales without considering that 8.3m sales based on the install base is VERY good. Sorry if I misunderstood you. But yeah, triple the install base and the sales of Mario Kart 8 increase likely at the same rate. It's a huge deal on every Nintendo system.

You don't get it. It's on the lower end, meaning that it could have sold way more if it was released on an appropriate console.

Duh. That doesnt make it a new game. That doesnt make it a game no one played. It means it is on the lower spectrum of series sales.

Mario Kart Wii sold more than 30 millions units, Mario Kart DS 25 millions, Mario Kart 7 15 millions, and so on. The sales of a Mario Kart game are tied to the userbase, since everyone who buy the console tend to buy Mario Kart.

Mario Kart's sales are not linear with install base. The lower performing games have better attach rates. They dont scale to userbase. 35% of Wii owners bout the Wii version. If it was linear that would be higer. That's why the idea that no one played these games is funny. A lot of people did.

It isn't the serie historic low but it's only barely above Double Dash (tied to the gamecube, another failed hardware) and Super Circuit (which inexplicably bombed, maybe that's due to the game being trash).

You said it was the lowest. It isnt the lowest. We dont need tm reasons.

That's my point. The game sold everything it could within the limits of its userbase. More than 8 millions units on a 13M userbase means an attach ratio of more than 60%. It's insane. It has the potential to sell way more.

No one said it has low sales potential. We all said it isnt a new game and it doesnt function as one. That's true. 8.3 million people already bought the game. That is 8.3 million people who may not want to buy it again if they get a Switch. That is why we are saying it is functionally not a new game.

That does not imply we think it has little sales potential.

LordKano

Ok, but your prior post said 8.3 million was low( maybe you said something before that I missed). Which I took as a criticism of its sales without considering that 8.3m sales based on the install base is VERY good. Sorry if I misunderstood you. But yeah, triple the install base and the sales of Mario Kart 8 increase likely at the same rate. It's a huge deal on every Nintendo system.

I maybe should have been more precise but I wanted to say low for a Mario Kart game, just like the sales of Infinite Warfare were low for a CoD game. Of course, any game selling 8 millions units is a huge achievement.

ZG002

Neo Member
Looks like they have now sold what they sent to the UK, I know on launch day you could fairly easily go get one if you wanted. (Argos, prime now etc had stock)

Checking now all are out of stock.

It's not a massive start, but it's at least better than the Wii U.

I know people I work with have no idea about the thing, but it's on the radar with all my gaming friends.

Only one jumped in though, the rest of us are waiting for Mario tbh.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
They are advertising it more here, but all I see are adds for 1,2 switch which is making people I know think it's a smartphone app

Why can't Nintendo just advertise an actual game ffs

jjonez18

They likely made more money on the Switch launch compared to all other launches before. Price of the system and pretty much ever one getting Zelda that's a lot of money spent for Nintendo in one of their weakest main markets.

Pretty good for a March launch in this day and age following WiiU.

Yeah. All things considered, it's not too shabby. Just the first step of the marathon though. To not be shunned like everything other than the Wii and DS they need to keep the software flowing.

jonno394

They are advertising it more here, but all I see are adds for 1,2 switch which is making people I know think it's a smartphone app

When i bought the Switch to my mom's my niece's told me they had send adverts for it and how "that's the one with the dancing game". There 9 and 7 so don't know what channels they watch but likely 1 2 switch dancing game or Just Dance they're on about.

I saw one Breath of the Wild ad but 1 2 Switch does seem to be getting the most coverage.

Haines

Banned
I think the system will sell well.

I think Nintendo understand good games will sell lots of units.

MK8 and splatoon fairly quickly kind of prove this. Those are console movers.

Mario in the fall?

Yeah this thing will.sell fine.

Shiggy

I maybe should have been more precise but I wanted to say low for a Mario Kart game, just like the sales of Infinite Warfare were low for a CoD game. Of course, any game selling 8 millions units is a huge achievement.

Reading that single post without context, it might not have been precise. But the thread of posts that you replied to and with your previous replies, it was pretty clear that you weren't implying that MK8 sold badly on Wii U. I don't see that your wording was at fault here for a misunderstanding.

Bumhead

Banned
Nintendo botched the line up. Lots of games they could have remastered or ported to boost the line up.

I really don't think the lineup needed boosting. With Zelda being one of the launch games, Nintendo ran the risk of cannibalising everything else by releasing more first party output on launch. This system is Zelda +1 for many as far as games go right now. I think it's wise that Nintendo didn't piss off the third parties and indies who are there by making that +1 something like Mario Kart.

MK8 is what I'm waiting for despite playing a fair chunk of on Wii U. I think that game represents an almost perfect usage case of the system and Mario Kart is something that will get a lot of love with my other half and the kids. It might be a port but I'd still expect MK to do very well for Switch, and irrespective of it being on Wii U already it's a super important presence for any Nintendo system.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel that's a pretty good result given the situation.

1.) The system doesn't have the major Western third parties on board, or any sign that it will.
2.) There isn't even all that much Japanese third party support for that niche.
3.) The idea of the casual audience buying a dedicated device instead of using a phone is a stretch. Younger children are also increasingly hard on this front, and with the older children you're directly competing with Microsoft and Sony.

As such, the core pitch here is playing Nintendo games and maybe indie games on the go. You've got Zelda versus having shiny upgraded versions of all the biggest AAA hits like the PS4 and XB1.

I would say this most closely resembles what the Wii U and GameCube offered, and it's a step up from that sales wise.

That said, I totally get why someone would look at that and view it as low. It is lower than a lot of systems.

I really don't think the lineup needed boosting. With Zelda being one of the launch games, Nintendo ran the risk of cannibalising everything else by releasing more first party output on launch. This system is Zelda +1 for many as far as games go right now. I think it's wise that Nintendo didn't piss off the third parties and indies who are there by making that +1 something like Mario Kart.

MK8 is what I'm waiting for despite playing a fair chunk of on Wii U. I think that game represents an almost perfect usage case of the system and Mario Kart is something that will get a lot of love with my other half and the kids. It might be a port but I'd still expect MK to do very well for Switch, and irrespective of it being on Wii U already it's a super important presence for any Nintendo system.

Nintendo leaving the door open for 3rd parties never works out. If no third party wants to launch a major effort at launch and are all doing the wait and see approach then imo you just do what you gotta do.

If they didnt wanna hurt third parties then I still dont see why end of April is their next big title. You have 1 retail game coming in that span from third parties. Why care this early given they are not producing on your platform at all?

Papacheeks

Banned

1.) The system doesn't have the major Western third parties on board, or any sign that it will.
3.) The idea of the casual audience buying a dedicated device instead of using a phone is a stretch. Younger children are also increasingly hard on this front, and with the older children you're directly competing with Microsoft and Sony.

As such, the core pitch here is playing Nintendo games and maybe indie games on the go. You've got Zelda versus having shiny upgraded versions of all the biggest AAA hits like the PS4 and XB1.

I would say this most closely resembles what the Wii U and GameCube offered, and it's a step up from that sales wise.

That said, I totally get why someone would look at that and view it as low. It is lower than a lot of systems.

If it's similar to Wii U/Gamecube isn't that a bad sign? Wasn't this suppose to correct the issues those consoles had?

Wasn't pooling all their developers from Handheld under one roof suppose to be the correction they made? And that feels like nothing is ready and wont be for some time. Hence the majority of releases including Zelda were all original Wii U games. Say what you want about Splatoon 2 but I'm getting the feeling some of the things in that game are re-used from first spaltoon.

Right now this device like the Wii u has a big question mark of uncertainty until we get more data from other regions. And I thought this whole time the pitch/message/and build up was to mitigate similar Wii U situation?

Right now from outside looking in, feels like NINTENDO hasn't learned anything. How to you launch a system in the state it's in, how do you make decisions on charging the unit that make no sense in 2017?

I guess I don't understand, maybe when there's a revision I'll understand more?

Just my 2 cents.

NolbertoS

If it's similar to Wii U/Gamecube isn't that a bad sign? Wasn't this suppose to correct the issues those consoles had?

Wasn't pooling all their developers from Handheld under one roof suppose to be the correction they made? And that feels like nothing is ready and wont be for some time. Hence the majority of releases including Zelda were all original Wii U games. Say what you want about Splatoon 2 but I'm getting the feeling some of the things in that game are re-used from first spaltoon.

Right now this device like the Wii u has a big question mark of uncertainty until we get more data from other regions. And I thought this whole time the pitch/message/and build up was to mitigate similar Wii U situation?

Right now from outside looking in, feels like NINTENDO hasn't learned anything. How to you launch a system in the state it's in, how do you make decisions on charging the unit that make no sense in 2017?

I guess I don't understand, maybe when there's a revision I'll understand more?

Just my 2 cents.

Nintendo this gen tried the hardest to woo some Western 3rd parties based on articles online, but seems most Western 3rd parties will stay with Xbox/PS4 userbase until something drastic happens like one of them bows out of the console race. I think Nintendo is hoping some indie developers catch on fire and maybe take a stab at bigger budgeted games. I think this gen, Nintendo gave indies more power and tools to bring their games to the switch. Time will tell if the payoff works. Even if the Switch sells Wii like numbers, doubt EA, Activision, CD Projectz, and Ubisoft will bring their main titles to the Switch.

I think the game release schedule is fine at the moment - it is a soft launch and the idea seems to build up the user base before Mario drops at the end of the year and everyone wants a Switch for xmas.

Zelda now, Mario Kart in a couple of months - a few more decent games to cover the late Summer/Autumn.

Nintendo's problem is if Mario slips to next year.

Bluth54

Nintendo this gen tried the hardest to woo some Western 3rd parties based on articles online, but seems most Western 3rd parties will stay with Xbox/PS4 userbase until something drastic happens like one of them bows out of the console race. I think Nintendo is hoping some indie developers catch on fire and maybe take a stab at bigger budgeted games. I think this gen, Nintendo gave indies more power and tools to bring their games to the switch. Time will tell if the payoff works. Even if the Switch sells Wii like numbers, doubt EA, Activision, CD Projectz, and Ubisoft will bring their main titles to the Switch.

The Wii U was pretty indies friendly but that didn't help the system. Having indie games is great but they don't replace the big budget AAA games the Switch isn't getting for many consumers.

Interfectum

In comparison to the other half of their releases? No it isn't massive. Still a good ways to go.

It's a start. They are recovering from a massive console bomb and have to prove themselves to the market again. I'd say we need to give Switch the rest of the year before we can start making any long term predictions about it's overall health tbh.

If that is the case, it is going to really be dependent on how much people want to play on the go. That will be the main selling point because we already saw how things go when it is just Nintendo games/indies trying to sell a console.

At the very least, Nintendo's baseline should be substantially better this time around though. As we see in UK, for example, with Switch launching two times higher than the Wii U.

KingV

Eh, 2 * Wii U numbers isn't impressive.

2*wii is at least a sizable enough install base to have a business.

If they can sell 30 million switches, Nintendo will likely be profitable, and have at least a half dozen 5 million plus sellers in the next 5 or 6 years.

It's not enough to beat Sony air MS, but it's likely enough to keep them in business over the long term.

ZeoVGM

Banned
That's a solid start.

But my god, those PS4 numbers are insane. It's almost unfair to compare anything to that.

Solid enough start. It's performing much better than Wii U which is the important metric. It's going to be really interesting to watch legs over the next few months

Hero

Decent numbers but not sure how well that bodes for the remainder of the year.

Surprised we haven't heard anything about numbers from Japan or NA.

J@hranimo

Banned
It's a start. They are recovering from a massive console bomb and have to prove themselves to the market again. I'd say we need to give Switch the rest of the year before we can start making any long term predictions about it's overall health tbh.

Oh of course, I agree with that. I was just saying that it isn't as massive as that poster was making out to be. I think if it launced in the 6 figure mark, it'll be "wow!" in the UK.

Nothing can really be predicted for the Switch's 1st year now.

Zedark

Decent numbers but not sure how well that bodes for the remainder of the year.

Surprised we haven't heard anything about numbers from Japan or NA.
Japan always comes on Wednesday, NA we must rel on Nintendo to speak up, else there is a long wait until March NPD. Think we will hear something from Nintendo at some point before that, though.

Rellik

Looks like they have now sold what they sent to the UK, I know on launch day you could fairly easily go get one if you wanted. (Argos, prime now etc had stock)

Checking now all are out of stock.

It's not a massive start, but it's at least better than the Wii U.

I know people I work with have no idea about the thing, but it's on the radar with all my gaming friends.

Only one jumped in though, the rest of us are waiting for Mario tbh.

They're in stock right now on Very.

Oregano

I think that's about an okay result. Not good, not bad.

More importantly (anecdotally speaking) people like the concept and a few people at work today said they want one.

It could go either way but I definitely think there's a good foundation to build on.

Welfare

Respectable launch when the only notable software is Zelda. There is Mario Kart in April so that'll bump sales until Arms and Splatoon 2.

Top Bottom