• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: Nintendo Switch sells 80,000 in the UK in its opening weekend

xNiallC

One of the big problems I see it having in the UK is RRP in-store prices for games. Zelda is £59.99 in Game, for the normal version. That's ridiculous.

LordKano

And that makes it a new game?

That makes it a new game in the sense that it has plenty of room to improve. The people that could buy this game was very limited by the Wii U userbase.
If the game was released on a more popular console, it would have sold much more. That's the objective here. The game's potential hasn't been fully exploited.

Would've sold better with stronger/more launch titles and better communication regarding the abilities of the online functionality.

That's the main reason I haven't bought one yet, anyway.

It will sell ok based on thirsty Switch owners buying anything.

It won't move hardware.

It's actually one of the games, if not THE GAME, I'm looking forward to the most.

13ruce

Banned
It's been 3-4 days why are these counted as a full week of sales?

Lets wait on the friday (this week) number.

Kraq

One of the big problems I see it having in the UK is RRP in-store prices for games. Zelda is £59.99 in Game, for the normal version. That's ridiculous.

It makes me wonder how GAME actually stays in business. They (and others) have really tried hard to push the RRP this gen from £40 to astronomical heights, not to mention their games never seem to drop in price after a few months.

That said, even Amazon haven't been great. £45-48 for a Day 1 purchase is a big no-no. £40 or bust.

Goodlife

It won't move hardware.

Oh I dunno so much.

I think a fully portable (with multi player abilities while portable) MK will be a hugeeeee hit for parents looking to entertain the kids for 5 mins in the car / waiting for food etc etc etc

That makes it a new game in the sense that it has plenty of room to improve. The people that could buy this game was very limited by the Wii U userbase.
If the game was released on a more popular console, it would have sold much more. That's the objective here. The game's potential hasn't been fully exploited.

Like we have said. That is not what new is. A game that sells 8.3 million units osnot something you can claim a lot of people have not played. Will deluxe do better? I dunno, this is the first GOTY edition style Mario Kart. It will do well but I dont know how to properly depict its sales potential.

Not bad for a Zelda machine, can't really be compared to other launches that had much stronger lineups.

Nintendo botched the line up. Lots of games they could have remastered or ported to boost the line up.

eizarus

Banned
It makes me wonder how GAME actually stays in business. They (and others) have really tried hard to push the RRP this gen from £40 to astronomical heights, not to mention their games never seem to drop in price after a few months.

That said, even Amazon haven't been great. £45-48 for a Day 1 purchase is a big no-no. £40 or bust.

Simply because a lot of consumers see them as the easiest option and can't be bothered putting in 10% more effort finding a better option (I'm guilty of this too sometimes). They did however, have some really good sales during the Black Friday-Christmas period. Dishonoured 2 was £25, BF1 reached £30 (i think), Deus Ex was also £25. Pretty sure they must have raked in plenty from those sales.

Raide

Not an amazing start but not Wii-u levels either. Will certainly keep a close eye on the Switch but I really need to see more games and hopefully Monster Hunter announcements.

If Nintendo can provide ARMS the same treatment as Splatoon in terms of gameplat, content and online community build-up, i think it can sell very well for a new IP in a console with few install base.

LordKano

Like we have said. That is not what new is. A game that sells 8.3 million units osnot something you can claim a lot of people have not played. Will deluxe do better? I dunno, this is the first GOTY edition style Mario Kart. It will do well but I dont know how to properly depict its sales potential.

I can when 8.3M is in the lowest figures for the serie. That's like if the next CoD sold that much : it would be a game few people played.

ARMS could be a success at a lower price point. What they've shown so far doesn't seem to indicate that it is a full price product.

As for the opening week sales. I think it could have been a little higher if they got the balance of grey and neon better. Pre-order numbers should have indicated one was more popular than the other.

I can when 8.3M is in the lowest figures for the serie.

No it isn't

That's like if the next CoD sold that much : it would be a game few people played.

It's on the lower end but it isn't the series historic low. Considering the WiiU's userbasr it's hard to sell the idea that the worst selling system does not have the worst selling mario kart but yet no one played it.

NolbertoS

Isn't the UK Sonyland and Xbox land mostly?? I remember visiting a Game store and the Nintendo selection was small. I guess for 80K without any real advertisement, the UK didn't see the Superbowl commercial, and according to UK GAF, no Switch hype on TV, and no FIFA game on it, its actually a decent success for Nintendo. I think Nintendo should ignore EA and cozy up to Konami for PES instead, might've sold more units instead

ramparter

Banned
ARMS could be a success at a lower price point. What they've shown so far doesn't seem to indicate that it is a full price product.
Well what Nintendo have done so far doesn't seem to indicate that they price their products according to the content they offer.

LordKasual

Banned
It's an okay start, considering Zelda is the only worthwhile software on the console atm...

JP and US numbers will likely carry it

NotLiquid

It won't move hardware.

Arms was commonly touted as perhaps the Switch highlight on virtually every demo event it was at, so I highly doubt it's success will be purely attributed to people who will "buy anything".

Like Splatoon, it's success is contingent on how Nintendo treats it. In contrast to Splatoon they've sort of put themselves at a bit of disadvantage by only having a maximum of 6 months between reveal and release, while Splatoon had a good year to build hype and word-of-mouth.

It could be a runaway hit - but they'd have to start pushing it much quicker.

Raide

It's an okay start, considering Zelda is the only worthwhile software on the console atm...

JP and US numbers will likely carry it

Well if a new Zelda could not pull big numbers, I wonder how it will work when the usual Nintendo dry months kick in. I have hardly heard any 3rd party ports/announcements. Kinda expecting CoD etc.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Numbers aren't that great to be honest. The pathetic launch lineup(minus Zelda) is a huge part of the blame for that.

Justified

It's been 3-4 days why are these counted as a full week of sales?

Lets wait on the friday (this week) number.

Mostly all consoles release on a Friday, they all have their "first week sales" counted by those 3-4 day ( A full sale week is Monday -Sunday)

Eh I'm not that down on that number to be honest. UK wasn't as strong a market for Nintendo compared to PS or Xbox in general last gen let alone for home consoles.

I don't know why people are dismissing the value of these numbers because they come from the UK.

Figures from France and Germany have in the past, painted a slightly stronger picture for Nintendo's consoles, but only very slightly. The Wii U had very similar performance in to what it achieved in the UK market. There's plenty of data showing the Wii U outsold by the PS4 at an almost 4:1 rate from 2013 to 2015, specifically in France and Germany. People dismissing this as if the other regions are more 'significant' or where Nintendo make their ground, may find themselves disappointed.

J@hranimo

Banned
Hmm, let's see here:

Nintendo 3DS - 113,000
Nintendo Wii - 105,000
Nintendo DS - 87,000
Nintendo Switch - 80,000
Nintendo GameCube - 69,000
Game Boy Advance - 67,000
Nintendo Wii U - 40,000

Straight down the middle. That's decent enough, but nothing worth saying "Wii success!" or "lol DOA!"

Hope they flesh out the system with updates by the time Fall hits.

LordKano

No it isn't

It's on the lower end but it isn't the series historic low. Considering the WiiU's userbasr it's hard to sell the idea that the worst selling system does not have the worst selling mario kart but yet no one played it.

You don't get it. It's on the lower end, meaning that it could have sold way more if it was released on an appropriate console. Mario Kart Wii sold more than 30 millions units, Mario Kart DS 25 millions, Mario Kart 7 15 millions, and so on. The sales of a Mario Kart game are tied to the userbase, since everyone who buy the console tend to buy Mario Kart.
It isn't the serie historic low but it's only barely above Double Dash (tied to the gamecube, another failed hardware) and Super Circuit (which inexplicably bombed, maybe that's due to the game being trash).

That's 8.3 on an install base of what, 13 or 14 million? Well over half the people who bought a Wii U also bought Mario Kart 8.

That's my point. The game sold everything it could within the limits of its userbase. More than 8 millions units on a 13M userbase means an attach ratio of more than 60%. It's insane. It has the potential to sell way more.

Pretty solid start. Looking more & more like Switch won't be a Wii type of success but obviously performing better than Wii U. Think Switch will finish behind PS4 and Xbone but numbers will be interesting.

Top Bottom