• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: "Wii U less powerful than PS3, Xbox 360, developers say"

Grymm

Banned
Most of this thread is irrelevant. Whether it's slightly less powerful than 360/PS3, on par, or slightly more powerful, it's still not going to compare to the consoles it's really going to be up against in 720 and PS4. It's Wii all over again, this time with less quirky appeal.

So what's the general opinion of the bird demo in here? Is it super good looking so its fake or is it real time but looks like shit?
Good looking real-time. Not doing anything that we can tell out of range of current consoles aside from the approach to Global Illumination. Everything seems to generally be of higher precision, but it is hard to know without documentation.

squidyj

Good looking real-time. Not doing anything that we can tell out of range of current consoles aside from the approach to Global Illumination. Everything seems to generally be of higher precision, but it is hard to know without documentation.

please demonstrate said global illumination.

people talked a lot about GI in the Zelda demo but it wasn't there.

Grymm

Banned

So what was happening on the controller screen while the bird demo was playing?

I mean this in a "did they sacrifice any sort of controller image to use more power for the bird demo" kind of way.

please demonstrate said global illumination.

people talked a lot about GI in the Zelda demo but it wasn't there.

I have no idea if it's real-time GI or a pre-baked approximation like we saw on the other consoles, but when the bird is flying over the water, light is reflecting back up on the bird. It was an impressive display, but not out of range of current consoles.

edit: I realized I contradicted myself squidy. I should have said up there "Not doing anything that we can tell out of range of current consoles aside from the approach to Global Illumination. If it is more than pre-baked."

So what was happening on the controller screen while the bird demo was playing?

I mean this in a "did they sacrifice any sort of controller image to use more power for the bird demo" kind of way.

You had another camera angle, albeit with a limited range of view with similar fidelity. Naturally at a lower resolution.

Hiltz

Nintendo has stuck with the "good enough" standard when it comes to console hardware and Wii U won't likely be the exception. Whatever the console lacks in graphics, it will make up for with its unique capabilities. This is similar to how 3DS is not as powerful as the PS Vita yet capable of doing 3D without the glasses. The platform just has to be strong enough to make whatever gimmick Nintendo wants to focus on work effectively and smoothly. Devs will be attracted to it. Of course, if third-party games don't sell well, then Wii U is going to suffer almost as badly as the Wii did - just without the much cheaper development costs.

Even if Wii U is essentially like the 360's HD visuals, then at least it will likely have better performance. It probably has less to do with "future-proofing" the console and more to do with making it capable of handling the seemingly stressful tech involved in getting the console to work with the UPad without a hitch (kind of like how the 3DS has to be strong enough to render the games twice in 3D). For all we know, Wii U may even be capable of handling UE4 if its scaled down. In any case, it can't be as bad as it was with the Wii's graphics where it wasn't only behind the 360 and PS3, but also lacked HD output and even shaders.

I think the reality is Nintendo won't be getting the strongest third-party support. Third-parties have been burned by Nintendo before with its past home consoles to put all their eggs in one nest. Even when third-parties offer multiplatform games on Nintenod consoles, the case is often that the other versions sell better. However, in all fairness, a lot of devs don't even give Nintendo versions of their games a chance to be successful to do poor marketing and overlooking them in favor of a different platform's version. Nintendo really just needs to make Wii U compotent enough so that it qualifies for the LCD for third-party multiplatform support. It may get lucky and serve as the lead platform for some current-gen games.However, being lead platform once Xbox 3 and PS4 enter the fray probably won't happen. That's naturally where making it easy to port games to becomes even more important. After all, most of us recognize how the third-party exclusive is becoming a thing of the past. Beyond just making Wii U an easy platform to port third-party software to, Nintendo's already solved the issue of dual analog controls so developing for a specialized controller won't be nearly as much of an issue as it was for the Wii. Even if devs feel like they're ported games need to take advantage of Wii U's controller, most of it seems like it can be implented with ease. The most basic capabilities would give Wii U a slight advantage even if Wii U version of the game cannot visually compete against Xbox 3 and PS4. Quite frankly, that's the part Nintendo hopes it can rely on third-parties for.

Then there's the online service. More and more it seems to be like graphics are the least thing Nintendo is going to be focused on with the Wii U. Yes, they'll make impressive games and take advantage of their own hardware (as they always do), but establishing a more flexible online service is a bigger priority. It's going to be easier for gamers and developers to be more accepting of Wii U's lack of visual punch over another outdated home console online service. Fortunately, we've already seen signs of Nintendo moving forward with a better online service plan that's account based and capable of using the controller for voice chat, video chat,and internet browsing using a virtual keyboard on the touchscreen.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Global Illumination? Ooh, sounds impressive. What is that, exactly? Is it one of the next generation of buzzwords?

z0m3le

Banned
Nintendo has stuck with the "good enough" standard when it comes to console hardware and Wii U won't likely be the exception. Whatever the console lacks in graphics, it will make up for with its unique capabilities. This is similar to how 3DS is not as powerful as the PS Vita, yet it's capable of doing 3D without the glasses. The platform just has to be strong enough to make whatever gimmick Nintendo wants to focus on work effectively and smoothly. Devs will be attractive to it. Of course, the main thing will boil down to whether third-party software sells well that will ultimately determine Wii U's future.

Even if Wii U is essentially like the 360 in terms of its visuals in HD, then at least it will likely have better performance and a part of that probably has a lot to do less with "future-proofing" the console and more to do with making the console capable of handling the seemingly stressful tech involved in getting the console to work well enough with the UPad so things like latency and other tech stuff that's way beyond me, work without a hitch (kind of like how the 3DS has to be strong enough to render the games twice in 3D). For all we know, Wii U may even be capable of handling UE4 if its scaled down. In any case, it can't be as bad as it was with the Wii's graphics where it wasn't only behind the 360 and PS3 but also lacked HD output and even shaders.

I think the reality is Nintendo won't be getting the strongest third-party support. Third-parties have been burned by Nintendo before with its past home consoles to put all their eggs in one nest. Nintendo really just needs to make Wii U compotent enough so that it qualifies for the lowest common denominotor for third-party multiplatform support. Who know,s it may be the lead platform for some games in termsw of current-gen titles, but that's not likely going to be the case once Xbox 3 and PS3 enter the fray. That's naturally where making it easy to port games to becomes even more important. After all, most of us recognize how the third-party exlcusive is becoming a thing of the past. Beyond just making Wii U an easy platform to port games to, Nintendo's already solved the issue of dual analog controls so developing for a specialized controller won't be nearly as much of an issue as it was for the Wii. Even if devs feel like they're ported games need to take advantage of Wii U's controller, most of it seems like it can be implented with ease.

Then there's the online service. More and more it seems to be like graphics are the least thing Nintendo is going to be focused on with the Wii U. Yes, they'll make impressive games and take advantage of their own hardware, but establishing a more flexible online service is a bigger priority. It's going to be easier for gamers and developers to be more accepting of Wii U's lack of visual oomph over another outdated online service. Fortunately, we've already seen signs of Nintendo moving forward with a better online service that's account based and capable of using the controller for voice chat, video chat,and internet browsing using a virtual keyboard on the touchscreen.

Yeah, we will have to take a wait and see approach to everything, these unidentified devs who are working on the Wii U, could just be using an engine that is poorly implemented on the console, we have a few developers who have come forward and declared that it is more powerful, has more resources, and that games will look better... and then there are the 2 demos which both look to be keeping up with the PS360 fine, especially when you see that the bird demo is being rendered twice.

Your thinking aligns with mine pretty well here, except I do believe third parties will be here this next gen, simply because they did very few exclusives, infact almost every PS3 exclusive this gen was in house, and Nintendo's house of software is pretty extensive, so no problems there.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
man, if this actually came about... what would even be the point in updating the hardware at all? just to sell a non-portable tablet that has no use other than gaming and even then, in a very limited fashion?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Emotional investment in hardware power, toward a company that couldn't care less anymore about either hardware power or its hardcore fans. It's not a healthy combination.

Rootbeer

Banned
If true, I wish I could just sit back and say "doesn't matter to me" but it does. The next playstation and xbox are still a year or more away, yes, but once they are out, we are talking about machines that are way way more powerful than the Wii U, and it is going to be the same story all over again. All the developers will abandon the Wii U because it's "gimped" in the horsepower department and I do not want to see that happen!

No surprise, I thought journalists already confirmed this based on the
360 version
trailers at E3.

EviLore said:
Emotional investment in hardware power, toward a company that couldn't care less anymore about either hardware power or its hardcore fans. It's not a healthy combination.
And who are Nintendo's hardcore fans exactly?

If you're talking about the Mario, Zelda, Pokemon crowd I think they're pretty set.

If you're talking about the guy whose last Nintendo console was Nintendo 64 and waxes nostalgic on IGN about the good old days when Nintendo apparently had massive third party support, was always ahead of the curb in technology, and never dumbed down their games for KIDDIES and NON-GAMERS, well...

Wii U will be exactly the same as Wii. Hardcore dudebro gamers will complain until the cows come home and Nintendo will make out like kings. And they'll release some games every now and then.

IrishNinja

let's say - all come to all - it's X360 level

if you are a NINTENDO ONLY gamer, why on earth would you care?

It's going to be a huge step up from the Wii, so i don't see what the problem is. Seriously.

I've moaned and bitched about Nintendo not giving us the "next gen" standard but the difference between it being 1.0x X360, 0.95x X360 and 1.5x X360 is neither here nor there. It's going to be "current gen" range - it's best to just accept it and move on.

I think a segment of Nthings have sent themselves up by buying in to the "X5 times X360!!!" - was that ever really likely!? The Wii U will trade on ideas not specs - this should have been obvious to hardcore nintendo fans surely?

DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U + multiple keynotes/speeches where Iwata says that chasing the cutting edge GPU/CPU set up is folly. At WHAT POINT do you accept that this is company strategy ? (though i agree the "Nintendo hardware is always...." comments are nonsense). Anyways, Nintendo have laid out their policy, fans need to at least acknowledge it - expecting some huge reversal at this point in time (as much as i want it) is foly.

I actually see this as being true.

I mean at most I saw the system having 5x something over the PS3/360. Maybe gigafloppers, maybe RAMses.

And that was at best. The truth is high priced consoles mean slow adoption, high up front cost, and just an all around stupid idea during a meager economic upswing.

Find a way to differentiate and don't ask too much from a bruised populace. Go loss leader if you want, but don't expect a home console to sell for more than $399 comfortably.

This is a reality console gamers are going to have to deal with. Sooner or later at least. Devaluation of the concept of consoles. A dedicated gaming platform has already been competing with dozens of other ways to play. From iPads to browsers; games can be played on just about anything shy of cooking utensils.

With regularity this tech is being improved. The very concept of consoles will have to change. They can't compete with PC's. Not in the strictest sense. They are way too small to compete directly.

They have a distinct advantage (errr... they did) of being solely dedicated to the act of play. This has always allowed consoles to excel in particular ways, while coming up short in others. Having a single set of hardware to dev for is a huge advantage. It allows those options to be explored at its fullest... but more and more I'm not seeing that as being necessary in this industry. Budgets have inflated to such a drastic extent within this single generation that specialization in specific hardware is becoming less necessary than a focus on portability.

The industry is changing before us rapidly. Consoles being static targets at one time allowed them to be exploited to degrees never thought possible, but the industry on the whole is going in an entirely different direction.

I have no answer. I just enjoy playing them as I've known them, and in my spare time making models and dreaming of a game that might never be.

I won't.

I'm mainly looking for inventive applications of the Upad before I decide if I think it's an innovation or gimmick for console gaming.

...these are all very good posts.
personally, there's quite a wide spectrum between 360 & "5x current gen!" and i'm hoping this somehow ends up closer to the middle, but if and when it's on the lower end of the scale, i'm a) going to have my expectations appropriately adjusted, and b) going to rely on 1st part efforts to best utilize the hardware.

i don't have stock in nintendo or any other company. if missing parity with the rest of the next-gen systems, or the online, or any number of factors again keep it limited on the 3rd party end (much less lead platform development/utilizing it's strengths), then i still get what is likely to be an enjoyable system with a handful of EAD/etc titles i love & replay, and a small number of exclusives that i end up really digging, too.
just like the wii. and the gamecube. and the n64 - pretty much the only system i grab day 1 because of this pattern, personally.

...you're not opiate

I thought that was HDR?
HDR is High Dynamic Range rendering. The core concept is to simulate the high ranges of light our eyes pick up, and the effects of it. Shadows being darker when entering from a well lit area.

Global Illumination is more about how colors or intensities of light interplay with a texture.

Cromat

If true, I wish I could just sit back and say "doesn't matter to me" but it does. The next playstation and xbox are still a year or more away, yes, but once they are out, we are talking about machines that are way way more powerful than the Wii U, and it is going to be the same story all over again. All the developers will abandon the Wii U because it's "gimped" in the horsepower department and I do not want to see that happen!

Why does it matter to you?

If the Wii U is not to your liking, just get another console. I sure plan to!

Evilore said:

I don't understand why people don't just buy a console for what it is and not what it could have been had it been designed differently. If a relatively underpowered console with a tablet controller isn't to your liking, don't get a Wii U and get one of the other two.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does that imply such emotional investment is healthy if people feel they're being catered to by said company, or if said company does care about hardware power? Or emotional investment in other companies and therefor in the power of this hardware in, well, reverse, trying to proclaim how bad it is compared to others before we get any solid evidence for what any of them are preparing? Or that other similar companies do care about hardcore fans over maximising profit potential, regardless of their capability to do it and the way they choose to do it with (focusing on the power of the hardware is one such approach for the same goal after all)? That was an awfully specific comment and could be interpreted in these ways, as it has been, when the simple and healthy approach would be, as Thunder Monkey added below, to leave it at "hardware power" instead of add the rest and gear it against one side of the argument, while as a mod providing ammunition to just as irrational other sides that will just quote, applaud, etc.

standing-ovation.jpg

all this confusion about the Wii U's rumored power leads up to this:

1) Due to conflicting reports about the Wii U's power, we can now assume it will not be MUCH stronger than 360/PS3/not a generational leap or else there would be no discussions about it but people would simply admit to the leap like with previous gens.

2) Knowing this, in order to gauge the ACTUAL graphics capabilities of the Wii U, we will probably have to wait years and years to give different devs a chance to figure the intricacies of the system out and learn how to get the most out of it as with every system

the end

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

You know, even if Nintendo keeps throwing at us Zeldas or Metroids or RPGs like Xenoblades, all of which I think can safely be considered as "core" games, I am willing to bet my life the Nintendo couldn't care less rhetoric will still be thrown around by those who dislike or those who wishes ill for the company. Do you consider games like Super Mario Galaxy, for example, as games unfit to be called "hardcore"?

Hell, they even managed to secure games like Monster Hunter and Resident Evils. But people are going to keep saying this, no matter what. I for one, am a Nintendo fan and though I wish they could have done more, my disappointment with them is not so big as to call their stance towards me this gen as "couldn't care less" or "abandonment." What do you think about this? Am I the only exception to your judgment as to how they treat their "hardcore" fans?

Damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

Cygnus X-1

That's impossible. So many crazy rumors on Wii U, but this is really stupid. Why should Nintendo make their next-gen less powerful than a 2006 tech? It doesn't make any sense. Even from an economic point of view.

seems nintendo is trying to jump on the back of the success of the wii.

The Wii was more powerful than the most powerful console of its last generation through, i.e. the Xbox.

The article's "oh, come on" moment: Some developers are looking at the PS3/PS Vita combo as being more powerful than the Wii U with tablet controller, and easier to program, too. "You can do everything with that combo that you can with the Wii U, and more," said the source. Nintendo's bid for a unique play experience with the tablet controller may not be completely successful.

Ok. This settles it. The article is dumb. We can see indeed how much is selling the Vita/PS3 combo.

While it IS true that Nintendo seems to care LESS about the hardcore audience then they did many years ago(also because now they have the casual gamer to worry about), they still care ENOUGH for me to support them because they still make a couple wonderful games each gen that no one else can do quite like them.

tassletine

There's no way this is true. It contradicts all the information we know, not only about the horsepower but also what the controller can do in conjunction with the main unit. The fact that the article mentions the vita being able to do more smacks of someone trying to promote Sony.

Log4Girlz

Hardware prices don't mean as much to me, but what worries me, is software prices. Nintendo going $59 now? Ugh. They probably will have to now that budgets for their games are going to have to increase with the new tech. The end of the $49 Era may be upon us.

That's one expensive Mario Party.

*remembers what he paid during N64 era*

Coolwhip

Banned
If the other information this site gives is true about doubling the already ridiculous development costs, then I'm more than fine with less POWER.

Reuenthal

Banned
Nintendo cares about its hardcore fans, as much corporations 'care'. (That means they create products that cater to those fans). Hardware power probably not. Nintendo hardcore fans are going to get their console for Nintendo games even if their system is underpowered because Nintendo provides them the games they desire.

(I hope I am not misunderstanding what one means by hardcore fans. If you mean people who care a lot about graphics then Nintendo doesn't care about those fans).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Nintendo caters quite well to their 'hardcore fans'. Technology fans, not so much.

Cygnus X-1

Just a question for tech GAF: at this point, using too much old CPU and GPU inside a new console, wouldn't bring the system to be more expensive rather than the opposite? Especially after 1-2 year on the market?

My reasoning is based on the fact that if Nintendo keeps using in the Wii U very old tech, the plants who produce this CPU and GPU will produce almost just for Nintendo, since it is reasonable to expect that other companies will already produce better tech for their systems. So no-one will be using so old chips anymore and Nintendo will have to pay to keep plants producing this kind of tech quite entirely.

So, again, it doesn't make any sense to me.

tassletine

I'd also like to say that developers can talk a lot of crap and some of them don't even understand the tech. If they're getting grips with the system it could just be someone airing their frustrations about one particular area.
A close friend of mine when asked how powerful the 3DS was, told me it was as powerful as a Dreamcast.

DaMan121

Just a question for tech GAF: at this point, using too much old CPU and GPU inside a new console, wouldn't bring the system to be more expensive rather than the opposite? Especially after 1-2 year on the market?

My reasoning is based on the fact that if Nintendo keeps using in the Wii U very old tech, the plants who produce this CPU and GPU will produce almost just for Nintendo, since it is reasonable to expect that other companies will already produce better tech for their systems. So no-one will be using so old chips anymore and Nintendo will have to pay to keep plants producing this kind of tech quite entirely.

So, again, it doesn't make any sense to me.
Nope. The gpus the 360 and ps3 were based off were obsolete 2 years later, and they are still in production. Entire factories are built specifically for these console cpus and gpus.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nintendo caters quite well to their 'hardcore fans'. Technology fans, not so much.

And it has served them well this gen, hasn't it? From a financial point of view, I mean. And whatever "hardcore" (God I hate this term so much) fans or gamers might think, financial situation is an extremely important aspect of a gaming company in order to sustain itself, in order to continue existing. Take SEGA for example... if they do not have games like Mario and Sonic games to sustain their condition, how much worse would their situation be?

And if the 'double the development cost' thread is the truth, then many people should be afraid about what kind of worrying future the gaming world will suffer if all companies are so hard-bent on the more power more power more power mantra.

As if the current trend of gaming companies collapsing and bleeding are not worrisome enough.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
And it has served them well this gen, hasn't it? From a financial point of view, I mean.

Yeah, it's served them well. I mean, if you're a 'hardcore Nintendo fan' in the sense that you like tech savvy Nintendo, then of course you will be disappointed. But in terms of software Nintendo has been catering to the 'hardcore' pretty damn well, in my opinion. They've done some excellent work with their own IPs over the Wii, and appear to be doing the same with the 3DS. Hardcore Nintendo fans who love Nintendo games should be satisfied, and to my knowledge are.

And that is always going to be Nintendo's hook. The Wii U could be a goddamn PS2 with a Wii bolted on, and as long as the game design of their major IPs is up to scratch the hardcore Nintendo fans will eat it up. Nintendo knows this too. Super Mario Whatever is their get out of jail free card.

There's a part of me that will always be disappointed in Nintendo, if just for the lack of muscle under the hood. It sucked on the Wii and will suck on the Wii U. Same goes for online integration, and an open development environment with lots of customisation. But that disappointment comes from being primarily a PC gamer, where I get all these things.

Yet I'll still buy and love the Wii U because it scratches my Nintendo itch, just as the Wii did.

Tookay

As in right the way back? Like the Wii was? That would be so awesome, NES, SNES, N64, Cube, Wii and Wii U in one box!

Well it plays Wii discs for sure, and I'm positive the VC will continue in some form. The only question is whether the GCN will be added to the VC (seems a no-brainer though).

EDIT: ... but you know, Nintendo.

rezuth

Why does it matter to you?

If the Wii U is not to your liking, just get another console. I sure plan to!

I don't understand why people don't just buy a console for what it is and not what it could have been had it been designed differently. If a relatively underpowered console with a tablet controller isn't to your liking, don't get a Wii U and get one of the other two.

I would if Nintendo did release games on other platforms.

Tookay

Yeah, it's served them well. I mean, if you're a 'hardcore Nintendo fan' in the sense that you like tech savvy Nintendo, then of course you will be disappointed. But in terms of software Nintendo has been catering to the 'hardcore' pretty damn well, in my opinion. They've done some excellent work with their own IPs over the Wii, and appear to be doing the same with the 3DS. Hardcore Nintendo fans who love Nintendo games should be satisfied, and to my knowledge are.

And that is always going to be Nintendo's hook. The Wii U could be a goddamn PS2 with a Wii bolted on, and as long as the game design of their major IPs is up to scratch the hardcore Nintendo fans will eat it up. Nintendo knows this too. Super Mario Whatever is their get out of jail free card.

There's a part of me that will always be disappointed in Nintendo, if just for the lack of muscle under the hood. It sucked on the Wii and will suck on the Wii U. Same goes for online integration, and an open development environment with lots of customisation. But that disappointment comes from being primarily a PC gamer, where I get all these things.

Yet I'll still buy and love the Wii U because it scratches my Nintendo itch, just as the Wii did.

Yep, you nailed the vicious cycle. As a Nintendo fan, the last several years have probably been some of its best, in terms of pure quality titles, but it's also frustrated with their (fiscally reasonable yet limiting) hardware and design choices at times. Which is further frustrated when you realize that the reality of the situation demands that they play it somewhat safe on that front.*

But... the games man.

*Except for online. There's no good excuse for them dragging their feet so much in that arena and they've left a lot of money on the table and hurt their brand power as a result.

Top Bottom