• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: "Wii U less powerful than PS3, Xbox 360, developers say"

I don't know, but something tells me that the only way the Wii U would be weaker than six year old hardware is if they're putting all of the internals into the tablet and forgoing the box altogether. Maybe only marginally more powerful? Maybe, but one of their intentions with this system is to get multiplatform ports, they wouldn't handicap themselves so readily.

The conflicts in the reports probably have something to do with who is using what dev kits.

Medalion

Banned
Sony is the new sega, we're waiting for the sale of assets.

Its sad seeing the Nintendo die hards clinging to their false reality. Nintendo is going to disappoint on hardware again we've known this for a year.

But it's so much fun laughing in their faces when it all blows up, I say encourage their die hard loyalty so they get extra hyped and then extra disappointed

That's so cruel!

fernoca

Not to mention, that let's say that E3 comes and goes and all games revealed, all first-gen launch Wii U games revealed look "on par" with 6-7th gen 360/PS3 games.

"I knew it...is not powerful enough". Ignoring that we won't know specs until the unit is out and someone opens it....ignoring who knows how Wii U games will look by 2015 or whatever and no matter what they show it will be put aside by whatever teaser Microsoft and/or Sony show of their next consoles.

Until all 3 consoles are out there, we won't know much. People will focus on if one has more RAM, more higher specs. Sources will come and go about anti-piracy, no used games, always online, Unreal 4... which won't mean much until we're actually playing games on them. Things will become just another bullet-point.

It took 2-3 years to start getting good games on Unreal Engine 3 outside Epic; with many games on the first years using modified versions Unreal Engine 2.5 (heck, Bioshock 360 and Red Steel on Wii both were -apparently- done on modified versions of UE2.5; yet it was Bioshock with the airplane crashing demo and water/fire effects the one that got people talking. It was also the better game; but that's because we played both.)

Whatever you guys do, don't go into the WiiU speculation thread, they are just salty and in denial about Nintendo.
Considering your recent posts in there, gee..I wonder why? :p

antonz

Yeah it was a total fad, almost outselling the other two consoles combined and more than quadrupling the sales of their last console.

This is such a stupid comment. Who gives a fuck how many Wii Nintendo sold. It did jack shit for the average gamer as far as support. Support for the console ended basically in 2009 with a few stragglers later

Vinci

Danish
I'm waiting for a dev to say, "Yeah, it's actually rather neat, in a retro sort of way. Though, admittedly, we were taken aback when we saw the hand crank - but you know, it works well."

fernoca

I'm waiting for a dev to say, "Yeah, it's actually rather neat, in a retro sort of way. Though, admittedly, we were taken aback when we saw the hand crank - but you know, it works well."
And blowing on cartridges too. Guess all this years of blowing into the DS mic was training people for the "future". :p

The only thing that bothered me about the wii was how bad it looked on HDTVs.. fix that and I'm down even if it is grossly underpowered. Nintendo games are my favorite anyways. I'll still have to grab one of the other consoles though but I'm ok with owning two.
The wii and xbox360 combo worked very well for me this generation.

This is such a stupid comment. Who gives a fuck how many Wii Nintendo sold. It did jack shit for the average gamer as far as support. Support for the console ended basically in 2009 with a few stragglers later

It matters when half the people in this thread are acting like this is Nintendo shivering on its' death bed, releasing one last underpowered console before going full Sega.

big_z

But it's so much fun laughing in their faces when it all blows up, I say encourage their die hard loyalty so they get extra hyped and then extra disappointed

That's so cruel!

I enjoy messing with their false realities but i also try to save some. Ace bandage is going to need to mix an extra large bowl of poison punch this year. Should have no problem filling the bowl with all the tears.

Vinci

Danish

I think perhaps 'average gamer' does not mean what you think it means, especially not nowadays.

Tookay

Wow, wasn't expecting this when I got home. I really hope Nintendo doesn't think this is a good idea....the Wii magic is over, and things are much different now, this isn't 2006-2008 anymore.

You're right; we entered a global recession that we're barely getting out of and Nintendo just got humbled for having a pricey system. They're going to make an affordable console, not some technological beast.

kuroshiki

Wow.

This can't be, not even with nintendo's usual shitty standard hardware.

I mean, it can't be THAT shitty. That's just not possible.

D.Lo

The argument was about success or lack therof (aparrently the runaway success of the Wii was it 'backfiring'), not anyone's opinion on what would be good for them or what third parties want to do.

And I suggest you look up the word 'average'.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I mean, it can't be THAT shitty. That's just not possible.

let's say - all come to all - it's X360 level

if you are a NINTENDO ONLY gamer, why on earth would you care?

It's going to be a huge step up from the Wii, so i don't see what the problem is. Seriously.

I've moaned and bitched about Nintendo not giving us the "next gen" standard but the difference between it being 1.0x X360, 0.95x X360 and 1.5x X360 is neither here nor there. It's going to be "current gen" range - it's best to just accept it and move on.

I think a segment of Nthings have sent themselves up by buying in to the "X5 times X360!!!" - was that ever really likely!? The Wii U will trade on ideas not specs - this should have been obvious to hardcore nintendo fans surely?

Damn, all it takes is one generation and you really are stereotyped.

DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U + multiple keynotes/speeches where Iwata says that chasing the cutting edge GPU/CPU set up is folly. At WHAT POINT do you accept that this is company strategy ? (though i agree the "Nintendo hardware is always...." comments are nonsense). Anyways, Nintendo have laid out their policy, fans need to at least acknowledge it - expecting some huge reversal at this point in time (as much as i want it) is foly.

What in-production GPU would be the rough equivalent of Xenos, say as far as texel fillrate and shader power go? I mean, even a 4670 smokes the 360 pretty handily, and that is a very low-end card nowadays.

Damn, all it takes is one generation and you really are stereotyped.

The last 3 consoles Nintendo have released have all been underpowered relative to the competition. Yes yes handhelds following Nintendos power trajectory or whatever. The point remains.

Besides that, this generation has been going on for over 5 years. The average consumer isn't going to look back further than that when judging a company. The average consumer has the memory of a goldfish.

Believing this rumor is even worse than believing the x5 rumor.

Yeah, it's got to be bullshit. They'd save so little by dropping from an "obviously better than 360" GPU to one that was in the same neighborhood; the chips to get into the former category cost hardly anything nowadays.

You're right; we entered a global recession that we're barely getting out of and Nintendo just got humbled for having a pricey system. They're going to make an affordable console, not some technological beast.
I actually see this as being true.

I mean at most I saw the system having 5x something over the PS3/360. Maybe gigafloppers, maybe RAMses.

And that was at best. The truth is high priced consoles mean slow adoption, high up front cost, and just an all around stupid idea during a meager economic upswing.

Find a way to differentiate and don't ask too much from a bruised populace. Go loss leader if you want, but don't expect a home console to sell for more than $399 comfortably.

This is a reality console gamers are going to have to deal with. Sooner or later at least. Devaluation of the concept of consoles. A dedicated gaming platform has already been competing with dozens of other ways to play. From iPads to browsers; games can be played on just about anything shy of cooking utensils.

With regularity this tech is being improved. The very concept of consoles will have to change. They can't compete with PC's. Not in the strictest sense. They are way too small to compete directly.

They have a distinct advantage (errr... they did) of being solely dedicated to the act of play. This has always allowed consoles to excel in particular ways, while coming up short in others. Having a single set of hardware to dev for is a huge advantage. It allows those options to be explored at its fullest... but more and more I'm not seeing that as being necessary in this industry. Budgets have inflated to such a drastic extent within this single generation that specialization in specific hardware is becoming less necessary than a focus on portability.

The industry is changing before us rapidly. Consoles being static targets at one time allowed them to be exploited to degrees never thought possible, but the industry on the whole is going in an entirely different direction.

I have no answer. I just enjoy playing them as I've known them, and in my spare time making models and dreaming of a game that might never be.

Tookay

I think a segment of Nthings have sent themselves up by buying in to the "X5 times X360!!!" - was that ever really likely!? The Wii U will trade on ideas not specs - this should have been obvious to hardcore nintendo fans surely?

While I find your use of Nthings pretty condescending, I do agree that it's wishful thinking to expect bleeding edge technology out of the Wii U. However, I don't think most fans ever really bought into the 5x 360, if reading the Speculation thread was any indication. Most of them seemed pretty skeptical there, though, I don't think that means the Wii U is going to grossly underpowered, not when you take into consideration some of Iwata's comments about being left behind by third-parties on the Wii, Mark Reign's comments, tech demos, and other developer statements. I think you would actively have to go out of your way to make something weaker than the 360 at this point, and it doesn't seem likely Nintendo would do that.

DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U + multiple keynotes/speeches where Iwata says that chasing the cutting edge GPU/CPU set up is folly. At WHAT POINT do you accept that this is company strategy ? (though i agree the "Nintendo hardware is always...." comments are nonsense). Anyways, Nintendo have laid out their policy, fans need to at least acknowledge it - expecting some huge reversal at this point in time (as much as i want it) is foly.

But I don't think the DS or 3DS are really indicative of having "shitty hardware." They've followed pretty standard generational leaps, it's just that Sony has broken the bank trying to make handhelds that are maybe a little outside what the market wants at this point in time.

Also, addressing your overall thread contribution: you seem to repeatedly mention that you wish Nintendo would go after some high-tech standard, because we should care about it as consumers, yet you fail to realize that their entire business model is gaming. If they have an expensive failure and price themselves into oblivion with big-budgeted systems and games, then there'd be no company left for a consumer. So as a fan of their games and reality (not necessarily their business decisions though I respect them in a sort of analytical economics-major way), I'd prefer they still be in business.

DCharlie

Another thing : if Nintendo can sell a machine at a profit - they will, if they can reduce costs to hit an acceptable level, they will. They're applauded by Nintendo fans for their $$$$$ creating ability yet when it comes to their machine specs it seems the self same Nintendo fans suddenly want to switch and claim technical excellence!

Expect the Wii to be as good as it needs to be and little more - 5x X360 was clearly pie in the sky balls and i suspect below X360 is too. Expect the cheapest possible build they can get away with to achieve HD + pad support and a price that will mean profit per unit sold.

No great shocks to anyone at all. If it is a shock i really don't know what Nintendo you are following recently.

Also, addressing your overall thread contribution: you seem to repeatedly mention that you wish Nintendo would go after some high-tech standard, because we should care about it as consumers, yet you fail to realize that their entire business model is gaming. If they have an expensive failure and price themselves into oblivion with big-budgeted systems and games, then there'd be no company left for a consumer. So as a fan of their games and reality (not necessarily their business decisions though I respect them in a sort of analytical economics-major way), I'd prefer they still be in business.

no - the want for a high tech Nintendo machine is a purely selfishly driven desire that detatches itself from the reality that Nintendo operate in. I'm fully aware that that is the case. Nintendo ABSOLUTELY COULD afford an "expensive failure" - lets nip that in the bud right away, but they don't need to take that risk.

I love love love the bitter tears of entitled manchildren with expensive hobbies. "I want my uber-strong, expensive consoles! GIVE THEM TO ME!"

By far the best thing about Nintendo's success.

I mean at most I saw the system having 5x something over the PS3/360. Maybe gigafloppers, maybe RAMses.

And that was at best. The truth is high priced consoles mean slow adoption, high up front cost, and just an all around stupid idea during a meager economic upswing.

Find a way to differentiate and don't ask too much from a bruised populace. Go loss leader if you want, but don't expect a home console to sell for more than $399 comfortably.

This is a reality console gamers are going to have to deal with. Sooner or later at least. Devaluation of the concept of consoles. A dedicated gaming platform has already been competing with dozens of other ways to play. From iPads to browsers; games can be played on just about anything shy of cooking utensils.

With regularity this tech is being improved. The very concept of consoles will have to change. They can't compete with PC's. Not in the strictest sense. They are way too small to compete directly.

They have a distinct advantage (errr... they did) of being solely dedicated to the act of play. This has always allowed consoles to excel in particular ways, while coming up short in others. Having a single set of hardware to dev for is a huge advantage. It allows those options to be explored at its fullest... but more and more I'm not seeing that as being necessary in this industry. Budgets have inflated to such a drastic extent within this single generation that specialization in specific hardware is becoming less necessary than a focus on portability.

The industry is changing before us rapidly. Consoles being static targets at one time allowed them to be exploited to degrees never thought possible, but the industry on the whole is going in an entirely different direction.

I have no answer. I just enjoy playing them as I've known them, and in my spare time making models and dreaming of a game that might never be.

Good post. Things are changing, even though much of the industry is trying hard not to.

D.Lo

let's say - all come to all - it's X360 level

if you are a NINTENDO ONLY gamer, why on earth would you care?

It's going to be a huge step up from the Wii, so i don't see what the problem is. Seriously.

I've moaned and bitched about Nintendo not giving us the "next gen" standard but the difference between it being 1.0x X360, 0.95x X360 and 1.5x X360 is neither here nor there. It's going to be "current gen" range - it's best to just accept it and move on.

I think a segment of Nthings have sent themselves up by buying in to the "X5 times X360!!!" - was that ever really likely!? The Wii U will trade on ideas not specs - this should have been obvious to hardcore nintendo fans surely?.
Agree.

Disagree.

The DS was a generational leap from the GBA, it's just that Sony created a too-powerful PSP which at least to start with ended up too expensive, had slow loading (on UMD at least to start with) and with poor battery life. And while doing decently, partly due to the luck of a PS2 port (Monster Hunter) randomly catching on, it was a clear loser to the DS in the end.

The 3DS is also too powerful for what it is, some of the power goes to 3D, but it was also too expensive and has poor battery life. They needed a new hook (the 3D) and had their timeline set, but it broke their previous winning handheld principles in some ways.

Which leaves the Wii as their only by-design 'behind the curve' console ever.

The last 3 consoles Nintendo have released have all been underpowered relative to the competition
Wut

If you are including handhelds then that's diferrent, but consoles /= handhelds.

But if we do take the three examples of 'underpowered' nintendo hardware reletive to the competition (DS/PSP, Wii/PS3, 3DS/PSV) than the market has clearly stated that actually the Sony devices were 'overpowered' and the Nintedno ones were just right, given it won/is winning all three of those battles.

It's an extreme way of putting it, but it's like Nintendo is releasing a modern SNES and Sony and MS are releasing modern Neo Geos.

Another thing : if Nintendo can sell a machine at a profit - they will, if they can reduce costs to hit an acceptable level, they will. They're applauded by Nintendo fans for their $$$$$ creating ability yet when it comes to their machine specs it seems the self same Nintendo fans suddenly want to switch and claim technical excellence!

Expect the Wii to be as good as it needs to be and little more - 5x X360 was clearly pie in the sky balls and i suspect below X360 is too. Expect the cheapest possible build they can get away with to achieve HD + pad support and a price that will mean profit per unit sold.

No great shocks to anyone at all. If it is a shock i really don't know what Nintendo you are following recently.

I don't know what Nintendo they were following at all.

During the GCN days they lost at most of $10 on the thing.

The N64 is like their costliest console venture. Well... counting handhelds it would definitely be the 3DS.

But overall they aren't known for losing money if they don't have to.

The NES was made using slightly powerful tech, expanded through cartridges. The SNES featured a fairly feature rich VPU (what they called it at the time), with a piss poor CPU. And again expanded through cartridges.

Up until the N64 they'd never really tried to one up their competitors completely. And of course that time they completely missed the boat in another way.

I really don't see why anyone would expect them to go big. Since the Wii/DS days their priorities have shifted. They want small, sleek, reliable, and odd. Or gimmicky if you prefer.

Tookay

Agreed on all points. We're in a weird time, but I wanted to specifically address the bolded.

I think we need to consider:
  • The 360 just started hitting its stride a year or so ago
  • The HD consoles are finally reaching some mass market price point
  • The fact that this generation will far exceed the last one in length
  • The budgets required for HD gaming and shuttering of mid-tier developers

... all speak to the fact that we are at a weird place in gaming and it would be rather foolish to introduce a high-priced, tech-driven product at this point in time. Unless you're Apple, you're not going to get away with it.

IMO all these claims that 'Wii U isn't as powerful as current systems' are from butthurt Sony and/or MS PR folks. what else can they say? "ummm, yeah Wii U is more powerful, but graphics are overrated anyway!"

give me a break. it's just FUD, which is a notoriously deceptive practice used by PR people who know nothing except what they're told to say. think about it... Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. that's precisely what the purpose of these statements are meant to bring about. and strangely they are unsourced rumors... well, I guess they couldn't actually say who the sources were because then no one would take them seriously.

don't be so naive. PS360 are ancient pieces of trash.

Bwahahahahaha.

Hiltz

The funny thing is that once Nintendo clears up all this shit about the Wii U's hardware capabilities at E3, GAF will still be disappointed. It's in our nature to expect too much as we fall for it every single time.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hardware prices don't mean as much to me, but what worries me, is software prices. Nintendo going $59 now? Ugh. They probably will have to now that budgets for their games are going to have to increase with the new tech. The end of the $49 Era may be upon us.

That's one expensive Mario Party.

The funny thing is that once Nintendo clarifies all this shit up about the Wii U at E3, GAF will still be disappointed.
I won't.

I'm mainly looking for inventive applications of the Upad before I decide if I think it's an innovation or gimmick for console gaming.

Medalion

Banned
The funny thing is that once Nintendo clears up all this shit about the Wii U's hardware capabilities at E3, GAF will still be disappointed. It's in our nature to expect too much as we fall for it every single time.
Hey dude, this is neogaf.gif

Hardware prices don't mean as much to me, but what worries me, is software prices. Nintendo going $59 now? Ugh. They probably will have to now that budgets for their games are going to have to increase with the new tech. The end of the $49 Era may be upon us.

That's one expensive Mario Party.

and since this Nintendo, those first-party badboys are NEVER gonna drop in price

DCharlie

O all these claims that 'Wii U isn't as powerful as current systems' are from butthurt Sony and/or MS PR folks. what else can they say? "ummm, yeah Wii U is more powerful, but graphics are overrated anyway!"

give me a break. it's just FUD, which is a notoriously deceptive practice used by PR people who know nothing except what they're told to say. think about it... Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. that's precisely what the purpose of these statements are meant to bring about. and strangely they are unsourced rumors... well, I guess they couldn't actually say who the sources were because then no one would take them seriously.

don't be so naive. PS360 are ancient pieces of trash.

So ... Nintendo by not releasing any concrete specs were ALSO PR trolling the Wii U?

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
The funny thing is that once Nintendo clarifies all this shit up about the Wii U at E3, GAF will still be disappointed.

Because we all know the hardware will be disappointing. I would love to be proven wrong, but Nintendo just doesn't give a shit about that sort of thing and some of us here do.

Medalion

Banned
Because we all know the hardware will be disappointing. I would love to be proven wrong, but Nintendo just doesn't give a shit about that sort of thing and some of us here do.
It will be disappointing because you've already made up your minds about it, that you will convince yourself it will be no matter what Nintendo does.

I wish you were GAF.

I'm glad I'm not good God would that get boring.

I'd be sitting there typing back and forth to myself, occasionally alluding to sexual impropriety, occasionally looking schizophrenic because I'm talking to myself and cover all sides of the argument.

That sounds tiring just thinking about it.

Top Bottom