• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: "Wii U less powerful than PS3, Xbox 360, developers say"

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I Don't see what the big deal is here guys. All this talk about things like 'shaders' and 'gpu's and abstract concepts like 'more/less powerful' distract from the real truth:
For over 25 Years Nintendo has delivered quality home video game entertainment to millions upon millions of gamers from all walks of life. With the recent successful launch of the 3DS, and it's exciting and varied library of announced games that will satisfy all, from the core gamers to the expanded audience, there's no doubt in my mind that Nintendo will continue it's legacy of great entertainment aimed at all ages at a reasonable price with the Wii U Video Game Console. This is evident from it's groundbreaking Handheld tablet-like controller that will facilitate a whole new experience for it's users. Even looking back it Nintendo's long and varied history, we can see that it is almost expected for them to raise the bar like that with their brilliant innovations on the home console frontier.

All that is well and good, but it still fucking sucks if the WiiU is going to have stale graphics.

Oddduck

I Don't see what the big deal is here guys. All this talk about things like 'shaders' and 'gpu's and abstract concepts like 'more/less powerful' distract from the real truth:
For over 25 Years Nintendo has delivered quality home video game entertainment to millions upon millions of gamers from all walks of life. With the recent successful launch of the 3DS, and it's exciting and varied library of announced games that will satisfy all, from the core gamers to the expanded audience, there's no doubt in my mind that Nintendo will continue it's legacy of great entertainment aimed at all ages at a reasonable price with the Wii U Video Game Console. This is evident from it's groundbreaking Handheld tablet-like controller that will facilitate a whole new experience for it's users. Even looking back it Nintendo's long and varied history, we can see that it is almost expected for them to raise the bar like that with their brilliant innovations on the home console frontier.

This entire post read like an official press release from Nintendo lol.

No way Wii U is weaker than current HD consoles in terms of rendering performance. They would not have had 2-3x the amount of RAM (1 ~ 1.5 GB) in there if the GPU's computing and rendering performance was lower than 360/PS3.

RIGHT GUYS ?????

Reggie is that you?

AzaK

Plus whatever they're using to transmit video wirelessly. I imagine thats one of the more expensive components. You're also forgetting the battery and the buttons and analog sticks. There's quite a few more components in there I do expect it would cost more to manufacture than a Kinect. Microsoft is making insane profits per Kinect sold there's no doubt about that.

There's also NFC and a small amount of memory.

Red UFO

Check the box.

another artilce:

Wii U Less Powerful Than Xbox 360, PS3 Says Dev
Author: William Usherpublished: 2012-04-02 15:19:21

While most of the industry news has been surrounding DLC controversy in one form or another, one of the broader topics about the industry is always about the next-generation consoles, especially Nintendo's Wii U.

New reports have surfaced where several developers have come forward (anonymously, of course) and detailed that the Wii U's HD capabilities are far less than that of the Xbox 360 and PS3.

The news comes courtesy of GameIndustry.biz who details that the anonymous developer mentioned that..."No, it's not up to the same level as the PS3 or the 360.,"... "The graphics are just not as powerful,"

Not content with just one answer, GI International contacted another developer who said the same thing (also requesting to remain anonymous)..."Yeah, that's true. It doesn't produce graphics as well as the PS3 or the 360,"... "There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up."

It's an interesting stance on the issue given that Gearbox feels the system has a lot to offer, when speaking about what they plan to do with Aliens: Colonial Marines for the Wii U, and Vigil also mentioned their excitement about the game console for DarkSiders 2. Other companies have also avoided directly talking about the Wii U's power capabilities and instead focused on talking about unique features inherit to the wireless tablet controller.

In regards to the actual hardware, rumored specs were released from a developer a while back but the hardware itself didn't seem all that much more powerful (or weaker) than the current HD consoles.

Until the developers are actually able to come out and say exactly what the specs are or Nintendo reveals them, we'll just have to go by the tidbits of info that's released on the new system.

Full details and pricing on the Wii U are expected to arrive at E3 this year. You can check out the entire article about the Wii U over at GameIndustry.biz

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wii-U-Less-Powerful-Than-Xbox-360-PS3-Says-Dev-41053.html

rdrr gnr

I'm dying.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

You bet!

Oh, I had a novel idea. Let's all go to the Nintendo store and get some Easter presents. Ha Ha Ha Ha, jolly good.

dancmc

It's been said to death but if the WiiU is only on par (or God forbid a little less) than 6-7 yo tech, it is a little ridiculous. I am praying that this is either completely incorrect or just a telephone game misconbobulation on the actual truth

For 2012, yes, they do look f'ing awful.
No, they really don't.

They look limited in comparison to what we know modern tech can do. There is a distinction. N64 era is the last time I could say games looked fucking awful.

And even that is a hyperbolic statement because some games use the limitations of their hardware beautifully. Going into this generation and for the past two artistry has mattered just as much as technical mastery. SMG is technically using tech completely antiquated. But the game itself still has a visual charm that stands up to games on higher end hardware.

Technical proficiency can only take you so far. And to this day we are seeing what a fusion of the two can do for PS3/360 software.

Replicant

I vote this quote to be this year's "I'm an expert" speech.

i-Lo

uh huh... so we should ignore it for the sake of heritage.

For over 15 Years Sony has delivered quality home video game entertainment to millions upon millions of gamers from all walks of life. With the recent successful launch of the Vita, and it's exciting and varied library of announced games that will satisfy all, from the core gamers to the expanded audience, there's no doubt in my mind that Sony will continue it's legacy of great entertainment aimed at all ages at a reasonable price with the PS4 Video Game Console. This is evident from it's groundbreaking Handheld tablet-like controller that will facilitate a whole new experience for it's users. Even looking back it Sony's long and varied history, we can see that it is almost expected for them to raise the bar like that with their brilliant innovations on the home console frontier.

hmm

(yes, I'm using these again!)

zelda31n0j.gif

zelda1bu1l.gif

zelda2tn2z.gif

I would call a machine that can do that weaker than Xbox 360 or PlayStation3 in any ways.

RIGHT GUYS ?????

Onemic

(yes, I'm using these again!)

zelda31n0j.gif

zelda1bu1l.gif

zelda2tn2z.gif

I would call a machine that can do that weaker than Xbox 360 or PlayStation3 in any ways.

RIGHT GUYS ?????

Tech demo, so it really doesn't say anything. I think we all remember the myriad of PS3 and PS2 tech demos that all looked leagues better than what the console was actually capable of doing with a fully realized game. Just wait till E3.

I have a source that says the Wii U is using NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines), which are more powerful than polygons. So the Wii U's graphics might look more powreful even thouugh it's using less gigashaders.

USC-fan

Banned
'The Wii U is more powerful than the 360, Ps3'

'The Wii U is as powerful as the 360, Ps3'

'The WII U is less powerful than the 360, Ps3'

make up your damn mind developers.

More Powerful = more ram

As Powerfull = CPU

Less Powerful = GPU

Done.

Bravo!!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I have a source that says the Wii U is using NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines), which are more powerful than polygons. So the Wii U's graphics might look more powerful even though it's using less gigashaders.

I trust you and your source. End of discussion guys.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Tech demo, so it really doesn't say anything. I think we all remember the myriad of PS3 and PS2 tech demos that all looked leagues better than what the console was actually capable of doing with a fully realized game. Just wait till E3.

So what those are sony tech demos. Ninty fans have already shown that most tech demos especially if we were to take zelda 64 and gc have been exceeded by actual products.

If they're willing to spend $20 or more million to see it through I don't see why not. It's not doing anything we haven't seen before.

edit: and yes I know you're funning.

Actually, I was serious.

Not sure how to judge a limited area's resources to a game with a large scope and it being consistent with what you see in that scene.

If they can push that quality throughout a 30 hour game, the system is more than good enough for me.

I can explain MGS4 running on a PS3 SDK. For a while there Sony was using a dual GPU setup in kits to approximate what Sony was claiming the final GPU would be capable of. It in the end never came close. Which is why the light scattering tech Kojima showed off at a GDC (I think) never saw implementation into the game. They were devving for a 480 or above SPU part when the end GPU was no more than the equivalent of a 320 SPU part.

That was an impressive tech demo though. Light realistically reacting to Snakes ears, and the cartlidge underneath. Impressive display.

I doubt Nintendo would do something similar. Unless they really really want the WiiU to be a certain size in an uncompromising way, and they couldn't get the power they were shooting for to fit in a case that size.

Actually, I was serious.

Not sure how to judge a limited area's resources to a game with a large scope and it being consistent with what you see in that scene.

If they can push that quality throughout a 30 hour game, the system is more than good enough for me.
I don't see any reason why not. I mean the more open areas would have larger visual compromises than a scene like that.

But I don't see why it wouldn't be possible in some form on the PS3 or 360. Compromises might have to be made (no game is going to have that kind of animation), but something very close.

this generation has brought out the worst in gamers when it comes to graphics :(

Visuals spoil people.

It's not that they aren't important but greedy people have blinders on.

We're not going from Atari 2600 games to SNES games.

Nothing is wrong with the power of consoles(besides the underpowered Wii and I still was ok with it) of today but great graphics are now all of a sudden not great enough.

There comes a point with me that it's time to be content on one area of games(this case, graphics) and to worry about other things like level design and concepts.

Especially from Nintendo as we are going from Wii to an HD machine with plenty of power.

I'm not pining for new higher resolution technology now that we have HD in our TVs.

'The Wii U is more powerful than the 360, Ps3'

'The Wii U is as powerful as the 360, Ps3'

'The WII U is less powerful than the 360, Ps3'

make up your damn mind developers.

It's almost like "more powerful" and "less powerful" are nonsense statements to start with. For instance I see PS3 owners talking about how it's more powerful than Xbox on a lot of message boards, but in reality each of the consoles has strengths and weaknesses relative to the others.

For a console that no one has shipped a game on yet they might not have a full idea of the strengths and weaknesses. Even then not everyone's games are going to stress the same parts of the console or maybe even any parts of the console, so some people will have it easier than others.

Regarding this story... I straight up do not respect NDA-breakers. They have absolutely no professional integrity at all and I wish they would be swiftly removed from jobs that afford them the privilege of knowing secret information that they so blatantly abuse. But aside from that, these guys just sound like idiots.

Orayn

Visuals spoil people.

It's not that they aren't important but greedy people have blinders on.

We're not going from Atari 2600 games to SNES games.

Nothing is wrong with the power of consoles(besides the underpowered Wii and I still was ok with it) of today but great graphics are now all of a sudden not great enough.

There comes a point with me that it's time to be content on one area of games(this case, graphics) and to worry about other things like level design and concepts.

Especially from Nintendo as we are going from Wii to an HD machine with plenty of power.

I'm not pining for new higher resolution technology now that we have HD in out TVs.

So things that actually matter?

goomba

Banned
I love how the thread title states "says developers" and not "says one anonymous source" and doesn't refer to the contradictions from other known "developers".

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It's almost like "more powerful" and "less powerful" are nonsense statements to start with. For instance I see PS3 owners talking about how it's more powerful than Xbox on a lot of message boards, but in reality each of the consoles has strengths and weaknesses relative to the others.

For a console that no one has shipped a game on yet they might not have a full idea of the strengths and weaknesses. Even then not everyone's games are going to stress the same parts of the console or maybe even any parts of the console, so some people will have it easier than others.

Regarding this story... I straight up do not respect NDA-breakers. They have absolutely no professional integrity at all and I wish they would be swiftly removed from jobs that afford them the privilege of knowing secret information that they so blatantly abuse. But aside from that, these guys just sound like idiots.

Considering these "sources" are most likely made up I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Top Bottom