• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: "Wii U less powerful than PS3, Xbox 360, developers say"

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
why would gamindustry.biz/eurogamer make up quotes?

unless you're being sarcastic, in which case i fully support your decision.

The sources are probably marketing folks who are getting their info second hand.

Tookay

The only possible way all these rumors (2-5x 360, on par, less than) can be true: devs don't even realize the power of the Xbox 360.

more powerful hardware requires bigger casing because it requires more cooling and generally a larger motherboard. don't be dense.

So what you're saying is hardware technology has stopped advancing and all new machines will be built using 2005-era components?

Considering these "sources" are most likely made up I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Their info could very well have basis!

Depending on the engine used, how optimized it is to the system, how they are using the Upad, there could be unforeseen factors that really hinder game stability.

Two independent scenes being rendered at the same time, at 360 or close to fidelity, in an unoptimized engine could take something twice as powerful and make it whimper. The PS3 in most cases has more effective power than the 360, but an unoptimized game can take a field full of grass and turn it into a simple grass texture.

This isn't alien. We saw it last gen as well. The one that sells the games gets the focus, and even in an era of almost identical tech that can mean the difference between "Good enough!" and "YEE GADS MAN!"

edit: Now the phrasing is completely suspect. But I won't judge someone for having limited English.

(yes, I'm using these again!)

http://www.abload.de/img/zelda31n0j.gif

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/zelda1bu1l.gif

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/zelda2tn2z.gif

I would call a machine that can do that weaker than Xbox 360 or PlayStation3 in any ways.

[B]RIGHT GUYS ?????[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm not seeing anything here that couldn't be done on the PS3. I'd go as far as saying God Of War 3 looks better then those and that was an actual game.

D.Lo

I hope their design priorities (apart from 'make a profit') are:

1) A box that is small, quiet, and doesn't break. Remember when consoles were like that? You could run an N64 for a week straight, drive over it with a bus and Goldeneye still ran fine. Yet even my slim PS3 gives me a feeling like vinyl records used to - every time I use it I am damaging it and shortening its lifespan. Let alone the completely unacceptable original 360 design. And they're all noisy fan heaters.

2) A reasonable launch price, which given the US economy is most likely $250 again.

3) An archetecture and design that allows maximum flexibility and general power within the above two parameters.

4) Ideally mandated 720p and at least 30fps. Or in my ideal fantasy world mandated 1080p and 60fps minimum. I'll always take less effects for smooth performance.

AniHawk

Yah, but as noted already...it doesn't take much to be a "source" (heck, I've been for other sites :p).

Like a post from an user and a bad Photoshop. :p

So, a source doesn't need to be reliable much less give real info.

Like:
-Kotaku vs. Cheapassgamer
-IGN vs. NeoGAF in: Metal Gear Solid Triology

having a shoddy source is one thing, but claiming a source was made up, and insinuating that this was done for hits, or to damage nintendo or whatever, is an entirely different one.

Visuals spoil people.

It's not that they aren't important but greedy people have blinders on.

We're not going from Atari 2600 games to SNES games.

Nothing is wrong with the power of consoles(besides the underpowered Wii and I still was ok with it) of today but great graphics are now all of a sudden not great enough.There comes a point with me that it's time to be content on one area of games(this case, graphics) and to worry about other things like level design and concepts.

Especially from Nintendo as we are going from Wii to an HD machine with plenty of power.

I'm not pining for new higher resolution technology now that we have HD in our TVs.

The problem is, the current machines are wheezing to keep up with developers ambitions. Open world games struggle to run at 30fps, many games don't run at 720p etc.

More power gives more headroom for developers. There are games this generation that simply could not have been done last generation, and I hope that continues into next generation.

You might say your totally happy with graphics as they are, but when you see something that looks a lot better will you still feel the same way? Hell, there was a time when I couldn't imagine games looking better than Daytona USA. Look where we are now!

I hope their design priorities (apart from 'make a profit') are:

1) A box that is small, quiet, and doesn't break. Remember when consoles were like that? You could run an N64 for a week straight, drive over it with a bus and Goldeneye still ran fine. Yet even my slim PS3 gives me a feeling like vinyl records used to - every time I use it I am damaging it and shortening its lifespan. Let alone the completely unacceptable original 360 design. And they're all noisy fan heaters.

2) A reasonable launch price, which given the US economy is most likely $250 again.

3) An archetecture and design that allows maximum flexibility and general power within the above two parameters.

4) Ideally mandated 720p and at least 30fps. Or in my ideal fantasy world mandated 1080p and 60fps minimum. I'll always take less effects for smooth performance.

As much as I would like at least a single generational focus on IQ and stability you'd be telling devs "That new way of doing prebaked Global Illumination you figured out? Yeah it makes your game dip below our standard. Remove it or something else." Is going to put them off.

fernoca

having a shoddy source is one thing, but claiming a source was made up, and insinuating that this was done for hits, or to damage nintendo or whatever, is an entirely different one.
But that's the magic of it, if it was made up...they won't admit anything.
Only if it happens to be true, they'll make sure to reminds everyone that "they broke the news first".

If someone questions them, they'll just say that it was wrong, that "oh well, maybe next time" and pass the page.

Heck, there was talk at the speculation thread about sites that used IdeaMan's posts as "news" in other blogs/sites; without giving credit to him. So the"sources" could be anyone or anything. Even one of the posts in one the "Vigil in 2012 on Wii U on par" thread. :p

Wait so who is more disaster-doomed? Nintendo or Sony?

Nintendo has billions in a vault.
Sony is billions in the hole.

Only if it happens to be true, they'll make sure to reminds everyone that "they broke the news first".

If someone questions them, they'll just say that it was wrong, that "oh well, maybe next time" and pass the page.

Heck, there was talk at the speculation thread about sites that used IdeaMan's posts as "news" in other blogs/sites; without giving credit to him. So the"sources" could be anyone or anything. Even one of the posts in one the "Vigil in 2012 on Wii U on par" thread. :p

Because gaming journalists are never held accountable. And it's a fucking travesty.
In any other field, they'd be flayed alive for the shit they pull here.

The problem is, the current machines are wheezing to keep up with developers ambitions. Open world games struggle to run at 30fps, many games don't run at 720p etc.

Yeah, more power could help but what you said sounds like developers' problem with their prioritization(I am sure they could have made sacrifices to get the games to run better).

Like Perfect Dark on the N64.

Brilliant concepts, bad execution due to overreaching the given tech.

People ate that game up though but I didn't.

But then again, I might be in the minority, I think tech can have a counterproductive result on games because it could favor glitz over design.

Depends on the developers' mindsets though.

AniHawk

but what has gaminundustry.biz/eurogamer done to warrant our distrust in the past? i might understand if this was a cheap ploy for hits if it came from sp-ong, but not these guys.

but what has gaminundustry.biz/eurogamer done to warrant our distrust in the past? i might understand if this was a cheap ploy for hits if it came from sp-ong, but not these guys.

Maybe the "developer" had a large doughnut in his/her mouth and it was a mistranslation though.

I find it credible if that's the case

saunderez

Yeah, more power could help but what you said sounds like developers' problem with their prioritization(I am sure they could have made sacrifices to get the games to run better).

Perfect Dark required the memory expansion pack. It wasn't even possible on the Nintendo 64. You've just proven exactly WHY we need a new console generation.

No way Wii U is weaker than current HD consoles in terms of rendering performance. They would not have had 2-3x the amount of RAM (1 ~ 1.5 GB) in there if the GPU, computing and rendering performance was lower than 360/PS3.

RIGHT GUYS ?????

No way Wii U is weaker than current HD consoles in terms of rendering performance. They would not have had 2-3x the amount of RAM (1 ~ 1.5 GB) in there if the GPU's computing and rendering performance was lower than 360/PS3.

RIGHT GUYS ?????

(yes, I'm using these again!)

I would call a machine that can do that weaker than Xbox 360 or PlayStation3 in any ways.

RIGHT GUYS ?????

Can someone check on herzogzwei1989 to see if he's alright?

I think he may be having a meltdown

Perfect Dark required the memory expansion pack. It wasn't even possible on the Nintendo 64. You've just proven exactly WHY we need a new console generation.

And it still ran like shit.

Who's to say the new games on next generation consoles won't if they don't have their priorities straight???

Brilliant concepts, bad execution due to overreaching the given tech.

People ate that game up though but I didn't.

But then again, I might be in the minority, I think tech can have a counterproductive result on games because it could favor glitz over design.

Depends on the developers' mindsets though.

Yeah, I definitely agree. I'd rather have something that isn't quite as pretty that runs better, and I'm sure that all developers have to make sacrifices of some kind from their initial vision to get things working properly.

That said, I think we could defintiely use a little extra power. There will be a point where textures and whatnot don't need any more detail, and we are almost there, but other graphical aspects could use some improvements. I can't wait for the day that the industry as a whole sees graphical presentation as maxed out, and start focusing on moving forward in other areas.

saunderez

And it still ran like shit.

Who's to say the new games on next generation consoles won't if they don't have their priorities straight???

They run like shit now, there's pretty much no chance they can run worse on new hardware. I pulled out the 360 version of GTAIV on the weekeend (The Ballad of Gay Tony) and the framerate is abysmal at times. As much as I've loved this generation these machines are tapped out, we need more power. Doubly so if we want 1080p standard (which I do).

Must be great to be the type of person who gets paid to post articles with anonymous sources meant to do nothing more than obtain quick cheap attention, get page hits for your site and be considered a journalist of some fashion all while completely and deliberately ignoring other named sources who have said things on the record that for now seem to completely contradict much, if not all of what you just "wrote."

Reg

Banned
Does it really matter? I'm just hoping they get their online environment in order. Which is much more important.

fernoca

Well, in my case I have no actual distrust (though the Photoshop/4chan thing I linked above was started by Eurogamer); but that the suspicious quotes coupled with how "on par " and "more powerful" has already been quoted, "less powerful" was the only thing remaining to see.

Since is their job, before posting rumors and tips by sources to investigate and expand on it; why not add those "sources" last year were talking about how Wii U dev kits/tablet were updated so that you could use 2 tablets; instead of their source that says "only one".
Or counter their anonymous "less powerful" bit, with quotes from Vigil or Gearbox saying that it's more powerful.

Of course, a "less powerful" only rumor/article will get more exposure of hits; but that's part of it. Heck, this thread wouldn't be here or with this many replies if it was "more powerful".
Or like the previous "more powerful thread", it would've been put aside as "an AceBandage thread". :p

You do realize this article is just reporting on the first one, right? They aren't two independently written articles
He's having fun with it, not actually believing it. :p

Massa

They run like shit now, there's pretty much no chance they can run worse on new hardware. I pulled out the 360 version of GTAIV on the weekeend (The Ballad of Gay Tony) and the framerate is abysmal at times. As much as I've loved this generation these machines are tapped out, we need more power. Doubly so if we want 1080p standard (which I do).

GTA will always run like crap on consoles.

If they go for a lowish price point and try make the hardware profitable from day 1 instead of taking an initial loss like the PS360 and have the more expensive than a traditional controller tablet controller it's not going to leave a whole lot of money for putting high spec hardware in the thing. I'm not expecting it to be anything much more than on par with the current consoles.

theBishop

Banned
Must be great to be the type of person who gets paid to post articles with anonymous sources meant to do nothing more than obtain quick cheap attention, get page hits for your site and be considered a journalist of some fashion all while completely and deliberately ignoring other named sources who have said things on the record that for now seem to completely contradict much, if not all of what you just "wrote."

I agree the story is shit journalism, but GI.biz is one of the most credible sites about videogames. Not quite Gamasutra, but definitely ahead of Kotaku, Joystiq and other blogs.

AzaK

OK, I know I'm gonna sound crazy but how about when Wii U is released, we buy it and play some great games together?

Rhindle

In what context does it make a difference whether WiiU is a little bit better, little bit the same or little better worse?

I don't see how that's going to affect anyone's decision to buy one this year. Next year, it will be a generation behind regardless.

Grymm

Banned
OK, I know I'm gonna sound crazy but how about when Wii U is released, we buy it and play some great games together?

How about instead of blindly buying products we do our homework and find out whether they are worth it or not first like good consumers?

No matter what the media say Nintendo won't reveal anything till E3 whether it's powerful or not, what are the games and release date/ price. All of this is just a rolling snowball of Wii U attention till E3.

big_z

Wait so who is more disaster-doomed? Nintendo or Sony?

Sony is the new sega, we're waiting for the sale of assets.

Its sad seeing the Nintendo die hards clinging to their false reality. Nintendo is going to disappoint on hardware again we've known this for a year.

I wouldn't even care, honestly. I play games of all ages/generations constantly. I've enjoyed, and continue to enjoy, the Wii, and it's so much weaker than the competition.

Just as long as the Wii U is affordable and brings something worthwhile to gaming, I'll be happy.

unomas

Banned
Wow, wasn't expecting this when I got home. I really hope Nintendo doesn't think this is a good idea....the Wii magic is over, and things are much different now, this isn't 2006-2008 anymore.

Top Bottom