• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI: What We Loved About Our Hands-On Time With Horizon Zero Dawn

This game sounds and looks sooo good

I'm just holding out hope they really nail the story. It's the only thing that could potentially hold it back in a good way. Even if it's no Baldurs Gate, as long as it's fundamentally interesting and the narrative is pushing you through the game in an interesting way I'm up for it.

I'm hoping the story is more about Aloy than about the word and dinobots. They will have a place in the story, but hopefully take a backseat to making it a character driven story
Considering how that story trailer went I think you'll get your wish as well as good world building lore.

It sound like instead of one big map, Horizon will be few big area stitch together?
I have not problem with that, actually prefer that as long as we can freely go to each area at anytime.

To me it sounds like it is us a big map, but not every scenary will be available from the beginning of the game.

My hope and dreams for this game, things that if not in the game, I hope is in the sequel.

-Controlling thundermaw for melee dinobots battle
-Aerial battle while on top of GlintHawk
-controlling multiple smaller robot pack as your offensive option.
-grappling hook and spiderman style swinging as traversal option
-able to use your slow mo concentration skill to aim your bow while airborne
-glide or wingsuit, or maybe just smaller robot bird that attach to your back or something.
-more melee weapon, maybe 2 handed sword or something, but I don't mind if this never happened.

No offence but these sound like the worst ideas. Spider-Man swinging? A wingsuit?!

cornerman

Horizon is looking great. I do hope people consider that this is guerrillas first trek into the rpg space, and that they though they have been working on this for a number of years, they will still need more time for this to grow. Witcher 3 stands on the back of witcher 2 and witcher 1, totalling over a decade of development. Same for alot of great rpgs. As great as I anticipate this game being it still serves as a foundation. I hope people appreciate what its accomplished thus far and not get bent out of shape over what it may lack.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I wonder what they didn't love. That's a re far more interesting question in the face of their impressions

What they said about the combat is promising. Chase me through the forest robo-pterodactyl.. I'm ready! Seemed like they really enjoyed it.

Man from the first Killzone to Horizon it's crazy to see how far GG and games in general have come.

Horizon is looking great. I do hope people consider that this is guerrillas first trek into the rpg space, and that they though they have been working on this for a number of years, they will still need more time for this to grow. Witcher 3 stands on the back of witcher 2 and witcher 1, totalling over a decade of development. Same for alot of great rpgs. As great as I anticipate this game being it still serves as a foundation. I hope people appreciate what its accomplished thus far and not get bent out of shape over what it may lack.
Unfortunately any open world rpg now has to stand against the Witcher 3(according to the gaming community I've seen because that's definitely not just a gaf thing). So first romp or not that's what everyone will pit it against.

cornerman

Unfortunately any open world rpg now has to stand against the Witcher 3(according to the gaming community I've seen because that's definitely not just a gaf thing). So first romp or not that's what everyone will pit it against.
Lol. Yes its foolish for me to hope that...its more of a wish I suppose. If more people were educated on what goes into game creation, or at the very least took a moment to think things out, it'd do wonders for the gaming industry and its customers.

Lol. Yes its foolish for me to hope that...its more of a wish I suppose. If more people were educated on what goes into game creation, or at the very least took a moment to think things out, it'd do wonders for the gaming industry and its customers.
Personally I'm just excited to see a studio step out of their comfort zone and it actually seems to be what they needed because so far the game looks and apparently plays great and that's not easy to do coming off a fps to a open world single player,third person rpg. I'm excited regardless of whether it stacks up to Zelda:Botw or the Witcher 3

a lot of games get compared to Dark Souls nowadays, but it evoked the same kind of pressure and challenge from me.

Horizon Zero Dawn is the Dark Souls of open world games. You heard it here first.

Personally I'm just excited to see a studio step out of their comfort zone and it actually seems to be what they needed because so far the game looks and apparently plays great and that's not easy to do coming off a fps to a open world single player,third person rpg. I'm excited regardless of whether it stacks up to Zelda:Botw or the Witcher 3

It's so strange that HZD is constantly being compared to both Witcher 3 and Zelda: BotW, two open world games that are on the complete opposite ends of the spectrum. I guess that's why Horizon sounds so appealing to me, it falls right in the middle by all accounts.

Vire

Game looks too good to be true, don't know what else to say other than that.

Trying to keep my hype in check though...

Top Bottom