• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giana Sisters DS Official Thread

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
ordered through a friend. this and prehistorik will be my sweet dsi platforming winter of '10.

Ranger X said:
Will the Australian version play in my DS? Is it in english?

Dude come on, topic isn't that long and all your questions have been answered multiple times. Yes, it will play in any DS, yes it is in English. And what language exactly do you think Australian's speak? :lol :lol

VOOK said:
2vum17d.jpg

For the love of god please someone make a full size printable boxart like this!!

HUELEN10

Dragona Akehi said:
For the love of god please someone make a full size printable boxart like this!!
I'll do it, pending you can find the art in a higher resolution. Won't look that good printed out at that size...

SecretBonusPoint said:
Dude come on, topic isn't that long and all your questions have been answered multiple times. Yes, it will play in any DS, yes it is in English. And what language exactly do you think Australian's speak? :lol :lol
Aussieglish?

Ranger X

SecretBonusPoint said:

ok ok, I suck at reading. :lol

But how am I supposed to know what language people in Australia are speaking? I honestly thought they might have had a language of their own or something else than english.

Rlan

Ranger X said:
ok ok, I suck at reading. :lol

But how am I supposed to know what language people in Australia are speaking? I honestly thought they might have had a language of their own or something else than english.

paul_hogan_as_michael_j_crocodile_dundee.jpg

I hope you're not fucking serious man.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Ranger X said:
:lol:lol:lol

wrowa

Ranger X said:

You know, because of statements like that so many Europeans think that Americans are straight out stupid ;(

Ranger X

I know alot more things than a USA resident, I'm a Canadian. :lol

So why do I get blamed because there's something I don't know anyways? You guys know everything I suppose. There's no shame in not knowing something + there's tons of things I know that would be surprised you don't. I wouldn't think you're crazy for that.

EDIT: just bought the game anyways. Can't wait to receive it!

Ranger X said:
I know alot more things than a USA resident, I'm a Canadian.

Ranger X said:

:lol

This and that (now sadly closed) borderlands thread have made my day.

Ranger X said:

So why do I get blamed because there's something I don't know anyways? You guys know everything I suppose. There's no shame in not knowing something + there's tons of things I know that would be surprised you don't. I wouldn't think you're crazy for that.

EDIT: just bought the game anyways. Can't wait to receive it!

You're part of the goddamned Commonwealth.

Shame on you.

STG!

Thanks for the link, placed an order for this at cdwow. Wish I was getting this before I travel next week...

8bit

Knows the Score
OK, maybe I need to go and find if there still is a copy of it. I was kind of disappointed in the level of challenge but I'll take on board that it improves.

After finding it in the city I've put a few hours into this today. I really like platforming games and the DS has an almost complete lack of any that I personally think are any good.

First off, this game looks and sounds great. Really pretty, nice animation and a great retro remixy soundtrack. On top of that the platforming mechanics are really solid. Moving and jumping has a really great weighty feel. A lot of these modern half 2d/half 3d or prerendered 3d games have such floaty physics it's really nice to play a proper 2d game with heft to it.

That said, the game claims to have 80+ levels, I'm up to world 6 now and it's only just now that the level design has gotten remotely interesting. That's 60 or so levels before the game has had levels where I'm actually exploring and having fun. The game has been, up until this point, a little too easy even when getting all the red crystals. It's the same problem I have with Kirby and Starfy, solid mechanics can't carry the game on their own.

Still, I'm enjoying it more than I've enjoyed those series. I hope the level design stays good for the rest of the game. It's pretty fun. Obviously fun enough that I've powered through so much of it.

andymcc

Banned
Ranger X said:

is it too late for me to call him a douchebag?

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Well, it took just under two weeks, but my copy of the Australian version arrived today.

I've only played through the first two worlds, but I am so glad that I broke down and imported this. Such a fun game, and it brings back so many warm, fuzzy memories of my C64.

I absolutely love the sprite work, the animation, and the remixed music. It's pretty darn easy so far, but I don't mind in the slightest. I'm having a blast playing through this simple, charming platformer.

Of course, the game comes in one of those fat European/Australian DS cases, so I did a little scanning and editing in order to make a printable cover that fits in a "real" DS case. I already uploaded the cover to The Cover Project, but it's not yet set up on their download page.

Regardless, anyone who is interested should be able to download the cover with this link. Like I mentioned, this is a scan of the Australian cover, so the text on the back is in English. It also has a less intrusive ratings symbol on the cover than the German version.

Also, with inspiration from VOOK, I whipped up a retro cover. Just follow this link to grab that one.

I've been playing strange journey, so I had put this game down at the start of world 7. I just came back to it today and here the thread is back on the front page. Worlds 6 and 7 are definitely where the game gets more interesting. It's never hard or anything, but the levels do get more explorey and the red crystals a little more of a search to find, which I like. It would have been nice if the whole thing had been more like this, but it's not a big deal. The art design is so cool and the platforming mechanics are great. It's a cool little game.

lupinko

Ranger X said:
Maybe you should note that Amazon.de doesn't seem to ship in North America. At least they don't ship in Canada.

EDIT: Life is against me. My 3 cards don't work at CDWOW or it's because i'm in Canada. God damnit.

I'm in Canada, and I use Cdwow all the time with no credit card problems here. *shrugs*

Sew

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago (locally, from JB Hifi). I finished it last night, but I still have a few bonus levels to unlock. In a nutshell:

CTLance said:
Buy this game, peeps. 80% of the game will probably be too easy for anyone posting on a videogame forum, but there are a few later levels that are quite sadistic - but never unfair.

Plus it's absolutely gorgeous. If only all remakes had that much "soul".

This.

I was a little hesitant with it at first, because it doesn't have the pace of SMB, but that was just a case of me having the wrong expectations. A few worlds in and I was hooked - this is a masterful run n' jump platformer, with all the feel and character of the original. I thought the music and level theming got a bit samey as the game went on (final world excluded), but gameplay wise it continues to throw devious little surprises at you. If you're into good 2D on the DS, basically you have to buy this. The excecution is proper old school platforming, with very little bullshit or gimmickery.

Giana fans should also check out the unofficial sequel to the original: http://www.gianas-return.de/ ..it's a huge labour of love made by a small group of German Giana fanboys over the last few years, with all original pixel art and chiptunes. Really nice stuff.

Ranger X

lupinko said:
I'm in Canada, and I use Cdwow all the time with no credit card problems here. *shrugs*

I bought one on Ebay anyways :p

It's at the post office but I can't go pick it up until Monday.

Jefklak

Bump!
received the game 2 days after I ordered it @ amazon.de, wow that's fast.

Played through world 1 and halfway 2 so far, and I think I only played 20 minutes long I know those are supposed to be introductionary-level-ish things though. I do like the game so far - especially the animation! Those enemy death animations are soo great. Hearing that "SPLUT" when you bounce off an eyeball and seeing the thing sort of explode and fall is amazing. Enemy bodies don't disappear like in most games. Those bird things (no idea, the red ones in the beginning?) laugh at you when you come near them but you hear them scream when you step on 'em :lol
Level design so far: very simple, but some nice hidden passages I didn't expect. Lovely little game, especially for only €16...

BUY BUY!

The only thing I miss (because I'm used to it, not because it's needed) is a run button. Holding down shoot + d-pad, I was thinking "yeah I'm going pretty fast" (mario-style) but lol, just using d-pad is enough, there is no speed increase...

Taurus

Oneself said:
Ordered two copies from cdwow a couple of days ago; one for me and one for my fellow The Main Event.:D
Have you received them yet?

I ordered Giana and new Prof Layton from cdwow.com on 5th October but I haven't received them yet. Layton was shipped on 6th October so it's been almost 3 weeks, and Giana status is still "backorder" although it still says "ready to be shipped in 7-10 days" on their site. Oh, now it says "Hurry, limited stock!". I don't think I'll use cdwow.com ever again... :(

This is what they answered to my e-mail yesterday (answer came in couple of hours, so that's positive):

Hi X,

Thank you for your e-mail and sorry to hear you are still yet to receive "PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE DIABOLICAL BOX"

The majority of orders arrive well within a week, though we kindly ask all of our customers to allow up to a maximum of 21 days for an order to be delivered from the date of dispatch.

We expect all dispatched orders to be delivered within our delivery estimates and we regularly test these to ensure they remain suitable for each destination country. Some items are occasionally delayed within the relevant postal system and we regret when this occurs.

In regards to "GIANA SISTERS" we have experienced a delay in receiving this product from our suppliers and we are currently awaiting confirmation of when the goods will be available for dispatch.

As soon as we have this information, we will let you know by email.

Once again, sorry for the inconvenience caused to you by this delay, and thank you very much for your patience - it is sincerely appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Adam | Customer Services Representative
cdwow.com is UK, right? I've had orders from play-asia.com come faster. That's just BS. And I'm from Europe btw.
[/rant]

Taurus said:
Have you received them yet?

I ordered Giana and new Prof Layton from cdwow.com on 5th October but I haven't received them yet. Layton was shipped on 6th October so it's been almost 3 weeks, and Giana status is still "backorder" although it still says "ready to be shipped in 7-10 days" on their site. Oh, now it says "Hurry, limited stock!". I don't think I'll use cdwow.com ever again... :(

This is what they answered to my e-mail yesterday (answer came in couple of hours, so that's positive):

cdwow.com is UK, right? I've had orders from play-asia.com come faster. That's just BS. And I'm from Europe btw.
[/rant]
I eventually caved and ordered from them as well, and it came up as backordered. I think this thread produced an unexpected wave of orders. :lol It's bogus that they still have it up for sale on their page despite not even having filled the current orders. I'm also put off by the fact that they charged immediately and the item hasn't shipped for weeks since. I'd look for it elsewhere, but I've already paid the exchange rate so I'm just going to tough it out. All I know is that it had better come through ultimately.

jarosh

Jefklak said:
Bump!
received the game 2 days after I ordered it @ amazon.de, wow that's fast.

Played through world 1 and halfway 2 so far, and I think I only played 20 minutes long I know those are supposed to be introductionary-level-ish things though. I do like the game so far - especially the animation! Those enemy death animations are soo great. Hearing that "SPLUT" when you bounce off an eyeball and seeing the thing sort of explode and fall is amazing. Enemy bodies don't disappear like in most games. Those bird things (no idea, the red ones in the beginning?) laugh at you when you come near them but you hear them scream when you step on 'em :lol
Level design so far: very simple, but some nice hidden passages I didn't expect. Lovely little game, especially for only €16...

BUY BUY!

The only thing I miss (because I'm used to it, not because it's needed) is a run button. Holding down shoot + d-pad, I was thinking "yeah I'm going pretty fast" (mario-style) but lol, just using d-pad is enough, there is no speed increase...
something to keep in mind: make sure to get ALL the red diamonds. especially later on it becomes clear that the game (and the level design) is pretty much built around collecting them. and trust me: it gets quite a bit more challenging later on. the first few worlds are insanely easy. i don't think it's until the second half or even the last third where the difficulty really ramps up. if you make it your goal to collect all the red diamonds you will NOT be disappointed by the amount of challenge. i'd even go as far as calling some of the later levels positively BRUTAL and punishing ;)

jarosh said:
something to keep in mind: make sure to get ALL the red diamonds. especially later on it becomes clear that the game (and the level design) is pretty much built around collecting them. and trust me: it gets quite a bit more challenging later on. the first few worlds are insanely easy. i don't think it's until the second half or even the last third where the difficulty really ramps up. if you make it your goal to collect all the red diamonds you will NOT be disappointed by the amount of challenge. i'd even go as far as calling some of the later levels positively BRUTAL and punishing ;)

Bingo, that is the way to approach this game: don't even allow yourself to pass a stage 'til the red diamonds have been collected. Clearly if you enter the game as an A->B platformer, the majority of the game would be way too easy...but as you said, it seems clear that it was never intended to be runthrough like that for folks like us.

Though to their credit, the game is still a lot of fun and really charming despite its ease, I've gone back to old stages and runthrough them just because it was a blast (the music, the backgrounds, the power-ups, etc).

I hate to hear that some of you guys have had issues with CDWow. They seem to have a pretty stellar reputation, on GAF especially (I didn't order Giana Sisters from them, but I did choose them for importing the upcoming SingStar Take That per GAF's recommendations). I guess this was just a matter of bad timing, with demand for this game being in the midst of a relative surge. It doesn't seem typical of most folks' experience with them, from what I've read.

STG!

Well, it took a while but I finally got my order (which I placed at the time of my last post itt) from cdwow today. Didn't get a confirmation that my order shipped until I got back from my vacation, but judging from the responses here I guess product is a little tight.

And was it worth the wait? Absolutely. I've read about this game for years knowing it's history so it's great to finally be able to play it on a platform I own. First off, the music is fantastic. The graphics are wonderful and look nicely updated compared to the screens I've seen of the game before. The game plays tight: the feel to the platforming is rock solid on the DS and it's surprisingly similar to how a Super Mario Bros. game would feel... well, minus a run button. Flew through the first world so far (collecting all the red diamonds naturally) so I'm looking forward to seeing how the difficulty starts ramping up.

Whimsical Phil

STG! said:
And was it worth the wait? Absolutely. I've read about this game for years knowing it's history so it's great to finally be able to play it on a platform I own. First off, the music is fantastic. The graphics are wonderful and look nicely updated compared to the screens I've seen of the game before. The game plays tight: the feel to the platforming is rock solid on the DS and it's surprisingly similar to how a Super Mario Bros. game would feel... well, minus a run button. Flew through the first world so far (collecting all the red diamonds naturally) so I'm looking forward to seeing how the difficulty starts ramping up.
It's been mentioned before, but yes, the difficulty definitely spikes later in the game if you're attempting to collect the red diamonds (i.e. you're playing it the proper way). For me, things started to get tough around World 6, and it just gets worse (i.e. better) from there.

Such a great game. I'm so glad that I picked it up.

STG!

Whimsical Phil said:
It's been mentioned before, but yes, the difficulty definitely spikes later in the game if you're attempting to collect the red diamonds (i.e. you're playing it the proper way). For me, things started to get tough around World 6, and it just gets worse (i.e. better) from there.

Such a great game. I'm so glad that I picked it up.

Totally agree. With a game like this I'll obtain everything in a stage before I move to the next. I'm guessing you eventually find more than 4 red diamond per stage? Quality stuff.

Whimsical Phil

STG! said:
Totally agree. With a game like this I'll obtain everything in a stage before I move to the next. I'm guessing you eventually find more than 4 red diamond per stage? Quality stuff.
Oh, keep playing.

Number 2 said:
Well Yahoo Serious is a person.
Do tell.

I finally got my copy from CD-WOW, and it's a blatantly used copy shipped from Hong Kong. Thankfully it doesn't appear to be pirated (my heart dropped when I saw the HK shipping info), otherwise I would've flipped my lid. My guess is that their supplier wasn't able to scratch up enough copies to fulfill orders so they ultimately resorted to alternate means. I don't know whether to be thankful or pissed. If I had known I'd be getting a copy with shelf wear 3 weeks late I might have just paid an extra few bucks for a new copy in a timely manner.

Oneself

Got both copies today as well. Shipped on October 27th from ??Honk Kong?? as well... They're not wrapped but they don't appear to be used .. maybe they do this to save us the border fees (like a "faked gift")? Because the shipping was totally free .. and normally, orders from HK to Québec clearly aren't free.

Anyways.

I can confirm that this game totally rules. It's the best platformer on DS IMO, easy at the start but everything is A+ quality ... controls are perfect, the soundtrack is awesome (like a mix between the old Sonic games, DKC & MC Kids!!) top notch graphics & animations..
It's like a 16-bit era platforming wet dream. So, if you're from the 8-16bits generation, it is without hesitation, a MUST HAVE for you.

Ranger X

Hey, I just started playing this tonight. I am at the end of World 2 with all the red diamonds so far.

This is awesome. It's a must for platforming fans.

STG!

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I finally got my copy from CD-WOW, and it's a blatantly used copy shipped from Hong Kong. Thankfully it doesn't appear to be pirated (my heart dropped when I saw the HK shipping info), otherwise I would've flipped my lid. My guess is that their supplier wasn't able to scratch up enough copies to fulfill orders so they ultimately resorted to alternate means. I don't know whether to be thankful or pissed. If I had known I'd be getting a copy with shelf wear 3 weeks late I might have just paid an extra few bucks for a new copy in a timely manner.

This is how my copy arrived as well. :/ Would have at least liked the heads up they were going to do this considering I paid for a new copy. But it wasn't a bootleg and the condition looked near mint: other than some very, very light marks on the outside of the case, it looked like it was just opened (i.e. Gamestop "new") and unplayed... Meh.

Once I popped in the game though, I was very thankful to have it. Onto the third world. :)

Top Bottom