• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giana Sisters DS Official Thread

A bit of a bad bump again, but not as bad as the previous one there I guess.

Just 100%'ed the game. That last bonus level, wow wow wow. I was not expecting that. I was like in giana sisters nirvana through the whole thing. Absolutely amazing. This is probably my favourite DS game of EVER now. It's too bad the first three or so worlds were a little slow, but the rest of the game is just so good. And then that last bonus level, holy WOW. Didn't notice anyone else talking about that bonus level in here, but the game isn't really that hard to complete to get to it, so anyone else that played this game and still feel like thinking back and giving some more orgasmo thoughts on the last bonus level?

It was such a nice surprise for me as well, completely unexpected, I thought there was going to be just another level on the zany side like the other bonus levels have been and then I will be done with the game. Instead I go on this half hour epic.

Have a lot of respect of the team that did this now. Amazing art, amazing music, amazing levels. I really hope Bitfield can come back to this IP at some point, I guess there might not be any push for it from Spellbound any more without Armin. But this really felt like a labour of love. .. and I need another one. Marry me Giana. If they toned down the air control a bit and added a run button they could go.. completely insane with it.

bon

Enk said:
Argh, thought this was a bump with some more info on the (probable) US release. :mad:
Probable? Nintendo Power just reviewed it so I assumed it was coming out soon for sure.

lupinko

Because of an earlier post in this thread, I bought Giana Sisters on iPhone4, and it's amazing! Well, as amazing as a platformer can get on iPhone, I'm surprised at how well it controls compared to how shoddy most 2d platformers are on touch controls.

Enk said:
Argh, thought this was a bump with some more info on the (probable) US release. :mad:
Oh. Didn't realise it wasn't out in the US yet. Think it came out in the rest of Europe last summer (there's Deutschland and then there's the rest of Europe, hehe), which was already really really late.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
A bit of a necro-bump here, but after far too long, it looks like the US version of Giana Sisters DS may have finally seen the light of day.

A user on the dtp entertainment forums claims to have gotten a copy from CD Universe. As proof, he links to this Google doc, which shows scans of the cover and every page of the (full color!) instruction manual.

Over at CD Universe, there is indeed a listing for the game. The artwork shown is not from the US version (there's a PEGI rating instead of ESRB), but the lone product review claims to have received the proper US version.

The game costs $19.74, but it's currently on backorder. It's supposed to ship out in 3-10 days. Amusingly enough, it's currently the #2 top selling DS game on the site (just below the new Professor Layton).

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8438561

I also found it available at Walmart.com. It's currently listed as in stock at a cost of $19.96.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Giana-Sisters-DS-Ninetendo-DS/17771996

I just ordered my copy from Walmart, and it should be here by Friday. I can't believe that we're finally getting a US version the game. And only eight months after my review ran in Nintendo Power. Perfect timing!

eller711

Neo Member
Whimsical Phil said:
I just ordered my copy from Walmart, and it should be here by Friday. I can't believe that we're finally getting a US version the game. And only eight months after my review ran in Nintendo Power. Perfect timing!

A man can buy two copies of Giana Sisters but not of Burnout. I see how it is Phil.
I will have to see if we can get these in at work the next time I'm there. I would actually like to get my hands on the US version.

Whimsical Phil

Newegg has it in stock as well ($19.99). A couple of people on the Digital Press forums have already gotten their copies.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16878160084

I wonder what the print run on this game is. I'm guessing that it's fairly small, so if you're interested in it (and you really should be), it's probably best to get it sooner rather than later.

eller711 said:
A man can buy two copies of Giana Sisters but not of Burnout. I see how it is Phil.
Seeing as how I also bought the game for iPhone and Mac, this will be my fourth copy.

Well worth it, though!

(Although technically I didn't buy the Mac version...I got a free copy for beta testing the game)

McNum

It's out in the US finally? Congrats, guys. It's a pretty good platformer, and for those of you who played the original, I'd suggest that you complete the game without using a continue. That's not too hard, as you can revisit stages, including the gem heavy bonus stages. But if you managed to pull this off, you unlock something:
All 35 original levels played back-to-back
in a special bonus level in the last world.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ordered.
I stopped my search for the import a few months ago when I heard plans were back to publish in US from Destineer.
I have to imagine its a tiny print run. Especially since the box art is such a bad photoshop job and there's no info on it.

Didn't the creator recently pass?

Grr... I've been spending too much money on games lately and I don't even want the game that badly, but it'll probably be impossible to find if I wait to buy it... what to do...

@MUWANdo

Banned
Not to be a threadshitter, but, people were really legitimately excited for this? I had the PAL version, flew through it and dropped it on ebay the next day. Simple, repetitive, unchallenging, dull. My eyes glaze over just looking at those screenshots again. I guess I'm not the target audience for this game (ie I have absolutely no fond memories of the original), but still, disappointing.

@MUWANdo said:
Not to be a threadshitter, but, people were really legitimately excited for this? I had the PAL version, flew through it and dropped it on ebay the next day. Simple, repetitive, unchallenging, dull. My eyes glaze over just looking at those screenshots again. I guess I'm not the target audience for this game (ie I have absolutely no fond memories of the original), but still, disappointing.

I never played the original, but I thought it was a good, enjoyable platformer. Though I'll never understand people who say this is better than NSMB.

shidoshi said:
Wow - I went to order it now, and all of the sources listed in this thread are now out of stuck. Grr.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/video_game/GB-DS-GIANA-SISTERS

A bit more expensive though.

Whimsical Phil

My copy shipped from Walmart.com yesterday; it should be here by Friday.

I'm way too excited to get another copy of a game that I bought two years ago.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Same here. I'm amazed this game is coming out in the U.S., and that I'd never heard a word about it until I saw this thread. Good on you guys.

Enk

makes good threads.
It's about time this finally came out over here but why did it have to be this month. :-/ Too many games already are already sapping up my funds.

Whimsical Phil

A day late, but my copy arrived today. Just plowed through the first world. Such a fun game. I'm really looking forward to doing another full playthrough. Right now, I have the attract screen running while I listen to the music.

3gopgxb

Here's what I'm wondering now: Is this one of those games that is somewhat difficult to find now, but in a month's time will be clogging Best Buy's "Holiday Video Game Bargains for under $20!!" bins or will it be like Treasure's Tiny Toon Adventures game for GBA (Buster's Bad Dream) where it briefly shows up at a few obscure online retailers before disappearing forever?

Hopefully it's the former just so that more people get a chance to play it. Either way, it's definitely worth tracking down now.

I just got this in the mail yesterday, played a bit this morning.

Very easy but I'm not finding it boring. Plays well, very nice looking too. I'll at least give it a playthough. I think it would be a pretty good game for my little sister too (I was debating getting her a DS for Christmas anyway).

Newegg still has it in stock. Solid platformer and a good price.

Top Bottom