• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giana Sisters DS Official Thread

Glad you people's copies arrived! Amazing isn't it? Its definitely going to be the DS' most overlooked gem simply due to it's bizarre limited release, still no sign of a release outside of Germany and Australia :lol

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
El-Suave said:
This isn't exactly the right thread but sad news from Germany:

Armin Gessert, creator of the original Great Giana Sisters died on Sunday due to a heart attack.

Games he is credited for include:

Great Giana Sisters
The Great Courts/Pro Tennis Tour
Desperados
Airline Tycoon

http://www.spellbound.de/?idcat=10&idart=284
http://www.pcgames.de/aid,699141/Armin-Gessert-Schoepfer-der-Great-Giana-Sisters-verstorben/PC/News/

Rest in Peace.
Well, damn. That's horrible.

Thanks for the great game, sir. The original Giana Sisters was/is awesome. Rest in peace.

Taurus

I finally got my copy! :D

The game is BEAUTIFUL. One of the best looking DS games I've played. Animation is top notch and the background graphics are great. So far I've played through 2 first worlds (about 18 stages) and the difficulty has been very very easy, just keep running through. I'm eagerly waiting to get to the harder levels.

The music is pure gold to your ears. If you've played the original Giana Sisters, you will recognize many of the Chris Huelsebeck's original classic themes.
Only complain I have so far is that IMO there could be more power-ups just like the original Giana Sisters game had.

Seriously, if you have chance to buy this game, BUY IT! Support this awesome game's creators!

It's available worldwide in the amazon.de: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001PVWYAM/ (EDIT: not available currently for worldwide shipping)

Just use google translate if you don't understand german. :)

Teppic

Taurus said:
It's available worldwide in the amazon.de
No, I tried Amazon.de and I get this:

This article can unfortunately not be shipped to the destination of your choice. You can either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by entering the quantity to 0 and click "Update." Learn more

Lives in Sweden.

Taurus

Teppic said:
No, I tried Amazon.de and I get this:

Lives in Sweden.
Huh? That's odd. Last time (before I made my order from cdwow) I tried to buy it it was available. I live in Finland. I got my copy from cdwow.com after a month of waiting, but they don't have it even listed anymore. :(

El-Suave

The current (incredibly cheap) offer is from a Marketplace seller who might not ship abroad. Try clicking on the offer from Amazon itself which is to the right in the box below the order button. It's more expensive than the marketplace offer, but it's the regular price when the game came out.

Teppic

El-Suave said:
The current (incredibly cheap) offer is from a Marketplace seller who might not ship abroad. Try clicking on the offer from Amazon itself which is to the right in the box below the order button. It's more expensive than the marketplace offer, but it's the regular price when the game came out.
I see, thanks!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Nemesis556 said:
Whimsical Phil said:

Well by "person" i mean human. Though some might think his awful humor disqualifies him.

youngeinstein.jpg

AwRy108

chicken_ramen said:
It's the same problem I have with Kirby and Starfy, solid mechanics can't carry the game on their own.

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone with this opinion. I thought Kirby Superstar Ultra was as boring as sin, and I'm not finding Starfy to be much more enjoyable. Both solid games, but extremely non-exciting platformers. Man, I sure hope Henry Hatsworth gets a sequel!

Jswanko

Im going to try and have a friend pick this up for me, she's studying in Berlin at the moment. Anywhere in particular I should tell her to look?

sphinx

the piano man
mmh, is this really a good game??

I am in germany for the next 4 weeks and I have seen it in stores but it looks like a game I´d probably buy once it is in the saturn/media markt bargain bins at 10 euros.

This isn´t 39.99 euro material, right?

by the way it broke my heart when I searched the bargain bin in the Berlin Alexander platz Saturn store and there were plenty of copies of freaking ETRIAN ODYSSEY being treated as same as the worst shovelware.

Berliner: GEHT UND KAUFT ES!!!! Es ist keine Empfehlung sondern ein Befehl. >_<

jarosh

sphinx said:
mmh, is this really a good game??
yes

sphinx said:
This isn´t 39.99 euro material, right?
yes, it is

sphinx said:
by the way it broke my heart when I searched the bargain bin in the Berlin Alexander platz Saturn store and there were plenty of copies of freaking ETRIAN ODYSSEY being treated as same as the worst shovelware.
what makes you think bargain bin pricing is somehow related to the quality of a product? i buy almost all my games at bargain bin prices and they're all great :p

sphinx

the piano man
jarosh said:
yes, it is

why?

I read here is just a cakewalk, going from left to right with no difficulty whatsoever.

Is it an interesting take in the 2d platforming genre somehow?

Why would I pay 40 or even 30 euro to play that?

Turrican3

IMHO it's not full price - worthy.

I appreciated it due to strong nostalgia effect and an excellent work done by Fabian Del Priore in remixing the original Chris Huelsbeck soundtrack, but I think it is a *very* simple platformer, with little differences in style between the various levels (I've not yet completed it, but c'mon, couldn't they REALLY design two or three different
world end bosses
?! that sounds cheap to me). Even Super Princess Peach is faaaaar more difficult than Giana Sisters DS, in which the so-called "hidden" gems are almost literally thrown in your face.

I've bought it in Germany (Amazon.de) and paid less than 25 euros, shipping included. That's a fair price for the efforts put into this game, IMHO. But 40-45 euro? No way,
even if I'd have bought it anyway at that price just to enjoy the music. :D

Why would you buy it without reading anything about it or listening/watching one video? Where did you buy it from anyway?

Also hating the music seems impossible to me.

OnPoint

OK. Just finished my copy. It was good, but Jesus Christ do you guys overhype the shit out of it.

Someone said (in the Hidden Gems thread) that the game doesn't hit its stride until World 6. I'd argue that it doesn't hit its stride, really, until World 8. And those are really the only challenging levels in the whole game
including the World 9 levels
Yes I collected every single red gem.

The graphics are well done, the soundtrack is sublime, but the actual gameplay was incredibly basic. I expected something phenomenal with the way GAF talks about this, and I was given what was simply a competent and enjoyable rudimentary platformer, not the second coming of Christ.

Good, but not worth the import price. I'd advise people who can't easily get it to wait for some sort of localization.

Whimsical Phil

Number 2 said:
Well by "person" i mean human. Though some might think his awful humor disqualifies him.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb88/vegasmike702/youngeinstein.jpg
It was sarcasm. I was being sarcastic.

The picture I posted from from the Australia episode of the Simpsons. The text below it was a quote from that episode.

Why would I random post a picture that referred to Yahoo Serious in the middle of a discussion about Australia if I didn't know who Yahoo Serious was or where he was from?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Saw this on Gamefaqs. Apparently the game has a chance of coming to the United States afterall:

http://**********.com/viewstory.php?id=106881

Asterisks stand for Go Nintendo (without the space). I'm a gaf newb, anyone care to enlighten my brain on why it blocks that out? If it's not allowed I'll edit this post right away.

Not sure how credible the site is. I'm not much of a Nintendo insider lol. Anyways, I was thinking of getting this game for my 11 year old sister for Christmas. Do you guys think she would like it? She's into girly stuff and she plays her DS a lot, but she's just horrible at platformers. Would this game be good for making her better at platformers without it being a frustrating experience for her? I've read this thread and from what I can gather most of the game is fairly easy.

osoul

Neo Member
Giana Sisters DS has to be my favourite platform game since Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. It's easy, but very comfortable to play, the music and the graphics are both spot on retro style.

My only complaint is they really wanted to recycle all 32 levels from the original C64 version, and this really slowed down the game's otherwise creative leveldesign in the first 5 worlds. After 6-2 (I think) the game hit its stride, and the levels became complex and fun. I really like how they built up the atmosphere in the last 2 worlds. 7-6 is my favourite level in the game.

The publishing is, however, subpar, Giana doesn't get the deserved spotlight even in her native land. I thought they planned an IPhone port, and a worldwide release, but it doesn't look so ambitious at this moment. It would be great to see new levels, some new features built for the same engine, a Wii port would be great too.

I just purchased a used copy from AmazonUK for a little over 60 bucks. I hope it was worth it. All of the new copies were around 90 bucks shipped. :(

Sew

Sheesh, seems like this game has attained collector status already. The prices on ebay aren't any better, English language versions are typically $99AUD + delivery from UK.

Don't worry about whether it's worth $60; if you don't like it you'll probably make your money back on it. Glad I put this one on the keeper pile.

You were all warned :p Western publishing must have gone completely to tits to be honest what with seeing the devs get an iPhone port out instead for all territories.

iPhone port looks pretty quick and sloppy with up-rezzed (via Flash) assets and so forth, but game should do well on the platform since its a great platformer on a platform that doesnt have Nintendo platformers now :D

WISE FROM VOUR GWAVE!

I thought this was the best place to say instead of making a new thread and I know some people missed the chance to play this because it came out in limited areas a while ago. This game is now out for iPhone/touch also, while that is awesome there are some drawbacks.

It looks like they applied a backbone-quality(tm) filter when they enlarged the sprites so it doesn't have that pixel sharp style to it all.

Also, it's only £2.99

mzl.wdezyfzj.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.qrzsfxxo.480x480-75.jpg

*in before "no real dpad is shit"

Whimsical Phil

Diablohead said:
WISE FROM VOUR GWAVE!

I thought this was the best place to say instead of making a new thread and I know some people missed the chance to play this because it came out in limited areas a while ago. This game is now out for iPhone/touch also, while that is awesome there are some drawbacks.

It looks like they applied a backbone-quality(tm) filter when they enlarged the sprites so it doesn't have that pixel sharp style to it all.

Also, it's only £2.99

*in before "no real dpad is shit"
Sadly, it's not yet available in the U.S. iTunes store. The only thing we have is a free soundboard that advertises the game as "coming soon."

Whimsical Phil said:
Sadly, it's not yet available in the U.S. iTunes store. The only thing we have is a free soundboard that advertises the game as "coming soon."
Apple seem to have a method which means if it comes out at midnight somewhere, all regions get it at the same "time", so it should be in a few hours for you. It just hit the UK half an hour ago when I posted.

Sew

Yeah, pity about the pixel art. But, it's pretty hard to scale a DS game to iPhone resolution without filtering, or completely overhauling the assets. I hope it does well all the same. It deserves to. :)

osoul

Neo Member
So the game will be worldwide known with the IPhone release? I think I will stick to the DS version though. The georgeous spritework is unbeatable, and this looks like exactly the same (anyone noticed any differences?)

aaaand... am I the only one, who find the normal (blonde) Giana terrible looking in this IPhone version?

Lijik

Only five bucks? Eh. I'll bite.

osoul said:
aaaand... am I the only one, who find the normal (blonde) Giana terrible looking in this IPhone version?

If thats the only thing you find terrible looking in this version, then probably yes.

It would have been nice to play in the regular res or regular x2, it would fit into the screen with a border but at least we could play it looking awesome instead of filtered.

Will probably buy this tonight since it's a rather good price for what sounds like a solid but easy platformer.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Jesus, I assume thats indicative of it not doing well at all. What a lucrative market that iPhone has!
Doesn't always mean it's doing bad, on the UK itunes marketplace it's been on the main app store page for a while, it's under the "what's hot?" section (a god send to most app sellers as it's free advertising) but it's not yet been in the top 100 for long where the real meat of income comes from impulse buyers. This price might get it there.

Main problem with the app store is there is way too many games, unless you strike it lucky and get in the top 100 sales or featured on the main page you usually dissapear after a few days. Something apple keep's getting moaned at to adress. Doesn't help with about 95% of homebrew games being crap and getting in the way.

osoul

Neo Member
Giana Iphone review: http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/giana-sisters-review

"If you love Super Mario Bros. but have always found it just a bit too masculine" :lol

This sentence killed me. Is there anyone out there in this planet who find SMB or any of the SMB games "masculine"? Since when a damsel in distress, clouds with big smiles or cutesy music is considered "masculine"? I've been a fan of many Mario games, but this word is the last thing I can attach to them. I believe most Mario-fans never admit their obsession to masculine friends.

That's said, even Giana Sisters is a more masculine game than most Marios. Well, except for it's difficulty, that is clearly aimed at n00bs or casual nostalgia-fans.

Top Bottom