• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattp

Yea sometimes I flip my brain in corporate mode and wonder why on earth are Vinny and Alex getting paid for literally two Quick Looks a week.

I'm sure they'll pick up speed once their studio is done but also at the same time I wonder how much of a shock it'll be to finally have to work.

And, yes, I know it's not a 1:1 fair comparison but there are YouTubers making single handedly more money with tons of more content than GB combined and they work with a simple home setup. If a YouTuber can do 1080p/60 videos with a $150 Blue Yeti and a $300 capture card connected to a PC the two people doing an hours worth of content a week with a higher budget makes me scratch my head.

I just have no clue how inefficiently they spend their 8 hrs a day...

/rant

you know, i'm just throwing this out there, but maybe they do other things besides customer facing video content? i know that sounds crazy

you guys are ridiculous, sometimes, with the whole "what do the guys do all day? they barely make any videos"

Zaph

Has Alex ever thought of or made his own premium content? Bombing the AM felt like a Patrick joint and even then he made other series like Spookin'. So yeah, I don't know what Alex does really.

Vinny I can excuse because he's a video man who is probably busy setting stuff up, taking care of a family with two babies, plus he made a ton of premium stuff when he was still in GB West.
Contrasted with GB East which has had two months to replace their morning show with something. No offense Alex - but WTF are you doing all day?
Alex has said a few times that he just can't do that solo talk-to-a-camera thing. If you watch that first Vinny PC build thing, Alex looks really uneasy whenever it's just him on camera. Doesn't really answer your question as to what he does all day, but yeah, that's why there's no home solo content with him.

Honestly, I'd rather have nothing from GBeast than have the site look like a glorified Youtuber account again, especially with someone who obviously doesn't want to do it. It's a professional outlet, there's only so many bedroom videos they can do.

you know, i'm just throwing this out there, but maybe they do other things besides customer facing video content? i know that sounds crazy

you guys are ridiculous, sometimes, with the whole "what do the guys do all day? they barely make any videos"

We're allowed to be critical about this, relax. But I'm curious, what do you think they are doing all day?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
He did several solo bombasticas that were pretty good

mattp

We're allowed to be critical about this, relax. But I'm curious, what do you think they are doing all day?

yeah but it usually comes off as calling them lazy and shit
they run a website, with minimal staff. maybe a lot of alex's day is spent dealing with industry contacts at publishers working out review copies and press releases etc
maybe vinny is busy running the video "department" of the site. technical issues, schedule, etc

not to mention they've been building a studio

Probably flirting with that TV Guide girl and tech hunk

Fnb52jL.png

daydream

Banned
I haven't counted but I feel like, even without the conditions to produce Premium videos, Beast has been putting out a solid and steady stream of content. Not to mention they're always quality which is what matters at the end of the day.

Alex has said a few times that he just can't do that solo talk-to-a-camera thing. If you watch that first Vinny PC build thing, Alex looks really uneasy whenever it's just him on camera. Doesn't really answer your question as to what he does all day, but yeah, that's why there's no home solo content with him.

Honestly, I'd rather have nothing from GBeast than have the site look like a glorified Youtuber account again, especially with someone who obviously doesn't want to do it. It's a professional outlet, there's only so many bedroom videos they can do.

Yup, he's become way more confident since doing Bombing and especially since GBeast got started but it's obvious that he wouldn't be comfortable carrying something solo and that's fine. As you say I don't mind them taking their time, especially when they are still putting out content and that content has been great.

tchocky

I haven't counted but I feel like, even without the conditions to produce Premium videos, Beast has been putting out a solid and steady stream of content. Not to mention they're always quality which is what matters at the end of the day.

They have produced 16 ql/unfinished videos in February which is pretty incredible for just the two of them, especially since they couldn't do much this week since the office is being worked on.

komplanen

How long do you think it takes Alex and Vinny to make 2 hours worth of quick looks? Let's say we all agree that Vinny is doing the editing and Alex mostly just participates on the recording? Two people work 40 hours a week so that would mean they do quite a lot of non-customer-facing content, don't you think? I mean maybe my math is wrong but I'd have a hard time believing there's so much of this mysterious content that a group of 7 people all are engulfed by it.

But to be honest I kinda knew what I was going against when criticizing Giant Bomb on even the smallest thing...

Patryn

I'm viewing GBeast right now as being in the same mode as the SF office was before Dan and Jason joined.

I'm willing to wait and see what happens when the new person joins. If things are still somewhat quiet there, then I'll be more critical. But for now, I'm willing to give them a pass.

Did jeff say when they expect to hire someone? I expect another 6 to 6,000,000 months or so, minimum.

Quoting myself, because it's easier than typing everything again:

Latest Jar Time Jeff mentioned they'd be interviewing somebody pretty soon, but seemed somewhat unsure if that was THE person. He also mentioned that they have a few other additional candidates in mind.

So... honestly the earliest I could conceivably see someone starting is mid to late March.

Honestly, I really do think it's either April or June, given that May will be spent doing E3 prep work and the like.

People think I joke, but I do see a world in which they don't start until after E3.

daydream

Banned
How long do you think it takes Alex and Vinny to make 2 hours worth of quick looks? Let's say we all agree that Vinny is doing the editing and Alex mostly just participates on the recording? Two people work 40 hours a week so that would mean they do quite a lot of non-customer-facing content, don't you think? I mean maybe my math is wrong but I'd have a hard time believing there's so much of this mysterious content that a group of 7 people all are engulfed by it.

But to be honest I kinda knew what I was going against when criticizing Giant Bomb on even the smallest thing...

for the record, I don't have qualms with someone raising the question

you gotta keep in mind that there's a lot going on behind the scenes, they have way too many meetings, stuff like pax and such require preparation and coordination, content scheduling is a thing, etc.

they also play games off-camera, a lot, in fact. either for review or to prepare for QLs. that probably takes up several hours every day

although I think we can all agree that we wouldn't mind at least one more premium feature out of gb west (preferrably featuring brad)

Did jeff say when they expect to hire someone? I expect another 6 to 6,000,000 months or so, minimum.

visas are tricky

sjack

Banned
Don't understand the complaints of lack of content from GBeast. They're releasing 3-5 quicklooks a week these days, which is a vast improvement to what it was back in their previous office.

Are Rocky V fans like RE6 in that they have created this mass delusion that somehow the thing they enjoy is that amazing creation no one seems to recognize?

for some reason I thought Rocky Balboa was V and I was about ready to have words with you.

Then I remembered what V actually was...

Scizzy

Alex does all the news stuff with Patrick gone, Brad is the main contact point with industry-types, and Jeff presumably spends a bunch of hours a week dealing with site management issues and CBS. My impression, though I don't know for sure, is that Dan doesn't have the same kind of commitments during the week. Also, give Drew some credit! He's the one recording all that stuff with Dan all the time (aside from Danswers, but he and Danny already did their podcast).

Patryn

I'm not sure the situation now, but as I recall Vinny and Alex don't even go into the office every day.

And at least this week, isn't their studio being worked on?

mattp

sorry i wasnt really just responding to you. just the frequent posts i've seen in these threads with people calling the gb staff lazy when they don't pump out tons of videos, as if they don't do other things as well

for the record, I don't have qualms with someone raising the question

you gotta keep in mind that there's a lot going on behind the scenes, they have way too many meetings, stuff like pax and such require preparation and coordination, content scheduling is a thing, etc.

they also play games off-camera, a lot, in fact. either for review or to prepare for QLs. that probably takes up several hours every day

although I think we can all agree that we wouldn't mind at least one more premium feature out of gb west (preferrably featuring brad)

visas are tricky

I know. I hope Rab gets his visa issues cleared up :(

Zaph

sorry i wasnt really just responding to you. just the frequent posts i've seen in these threads with people calling the gb staff lazy when they don't pump out tons of videos, as if they don't do other things as well

Frequent posts is a bit of a stretch. Yeah people lament the lack of content some weeks, but we must be reading a different thread if you're seeing frequent posts calling them lazy.

I know. I hope Rab gets his visa issues cleared up :(
Rab Florence? I'd... be okay with that.
It's crazy how much Consolevania was formatted like this current Youtube/Personality gaming content generation, but before Youtube was even a thing. Bunch of trendsetters.

Megasoum

Banned
GB is doing a commentary track on Rocky 4 on the same day as Tested.com is releasing a commentary track on the movie Brazil...

Two worlds! hahaha

Bacon

You must be visiting a different thread

komplanen

To be completely honest though, *I* am fine with Gbeast's output. *I* don't need more of it.

I just have trouble understanding big corporations and individual work ethics when there's so much more they *could* do to get subscribers / ad revenue and it still would fall in the normal category of what people do at a job like that.

Just look at Dan. He's clearly not cut from the same tree as the rest of the GB when it comes to amount of work he's doing.

Also my point about comparing to YouTubers was the simple fact that there are people doing high-quality podcasting and video recording without fancy studios and thousands of dollars worth of equipment.

I mean can anyone honestly hear such a huge disparity between Giant Bombcast's quality compared to 8-4 Play or Player One Podcast? Or are GB quick looks really so high quality 720p that when you go and watch YouTube let's plays from people's home setups they look like amateur work?

These are just some questions :)

tchocky

I'm not sure the situation now, but as I recall Vinny and Alex don't even go into the office every day.

And at least this week, isn't their studio being worked on?

Yes you will notice that their quick looks get added to the schedule in a group of 3 or 4 so they do them in one day and Vinny has said work has been done on the recording space this week so that is why they have not released much content this week.

I think over the last few weeks the free content has been fine, the way their schedule works they can release a maximum of two qls per day which we have got most days as well as some weekend qls. All they really need to add is a GBeast podcast and premium series and a GBSF premium series with Brad/Jeff/Jason.

Drew's mobile quick look got me semi addicted to that game Heroes Charge. It's almost like a passive, barely any input version of a loot game. It's been interesting to me as just sort of a passive game to play without even looking at most of the time.

Speaking of mobile games though I wonder if Drew ever got more into Monster Strike. He talked about it before and showed it off on a UPF and that game surprisingly gets pretty deep, but you don't really see any of that early on. I think an updated QL with more advanced levels or events could be interesting.

popo

I keep forgetting we are on GAF. Where a genuine question wondering how people spend their working day translates in to "those lazy fuckers are sat on their arse all day!"

After several years of following the guys I can say that not one of them is lazy or a shirker - so the question is genuine - what is Alex doing with his time? Just general interest. I didn't question what Vinny does as I have no idea what the job of the video guy entails. Although people bringing up his kids are crazy. I am sure Vinny isn't child rearing on company time and neither should he. Parents have been juggling work and home since the dawn of civilisation.

So back to Alex. For the sake of argument I am going to equate him to Dan. Jeff has meetings, Vinny runs video, Brad seems to have taken over publisher relations and producing the podcast. Leads me to feel that Alex and Dan have similar duties.

Dan and Alex are in a similar number of Quick Looks. Dan has written more reviews this year. Alex posts trailers. However, Dan also podcasts for 3 hours a week and runs (at least) two premium series and an extra premium podcast. If you broke it down to raw numbers and one of them had to be laid off - which would you choose?

Sure when the person who he was doing the show with also had a setup that allowed them to do so, who knows if Vinny would be able to pull that off.

Crazy tech like and internet connection and a microphone.

Zaph

I can't remember what Rab did that pissed me off...but it was something

I remember he got a bit much during the height of the gg shit, but you can't really hold it against him, he had to watch as his close friends received lots of nasty harassment.

To be completely honest though, *I* am fine with Gbeast's output. *I* don't need more of it.

I just have trouble understanding big corporations and individual work ethics when there's so much more they *could* do to get subscribers / ad revenue and it still would fall in the normal category of what people do at a job like that.

Just look at Dan. He's clearly not cut from the same tree as the rest of the GB when it comes to amount of work he's doing.

Also my point about comparing to YouTubers was the simple fact that there are people doing high-quality podcasting and video recording without fancy studios and thousands of dollars worth of equipment.

I mean can anyone honestly hear such a huge disparity between Giant Bombcast's quality compared to 8-4 Play or Player One Podcast? Or are GB quick looks really so high quality 720p that when you go and watch YouTube let's plays from people's home setups they look like amateur work?

These are just some questions :)

I honestly do see a big difference from Giant Bomb's podcasts compared to other gaming ones. Even though its usually off-topic at plenty of times, it just seems a lot more structured and professional than others that I've heard, and there's a huge difference in mic quality.

I also feel like Dan's been doing a lot recently. He's been handling the brunt of reviews recently and is involved with the most premium content like the UPFs, the premium podcasts, MGscanlon, the unplugged and the Eye of the Ryckert which was gonna be a daily thing. And that doesn't even include the non premium stuff like the bombcast and the quicklooks.

Also, each quicklook relies on the person playing it to have actually played the game for a while as to actually give the game a fair shot of being shown off and not just them bumbling around for 30 minutes in the tutorial section. And that doesn't even include all the news/business stuff they do.

I would never knock an LPer because the amount of work they do is insane, especially the solo LPers, but the quality/quantity of work they put into their site has been nothing short of amazing for me personally.

komplanen

No..this was at least a year ago. Not GG related

Maybe it was the story he wrote about a UK journalist not disclosing her relations to Square -Enix when hyping up the original Tomb Raider remake? The UK journalist in question pulled out the libel card and Rab got fired from Eurogamer.

Or am I thinking of a different guy?

Maybe it was the story he wrote about a UK journalist not disclosing her relations to Square -Enix when hyping up the original Tomb Raider remake? The UK journalist in question pulled out the libel card and Rab got fired from Eurogamer.

Or am I thinking of a different guy?

Thats him

Patryn

Question: Didn't someone also find that at least Vinny was also working on wider CBSi stuff? Like someone found a TV Guide video with Vinny doing the VO?

Is it possible that GBeast is partially spending their time working on other sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom