• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Time for Family Part 8:

2MuX4eZ.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I kinda wish it was Bayo 2 because it's the one I didn't get to play, but I know that will remain a dream forever.

Will get when heavily discounted.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Vanquish isn't coming to steam so the point is moot anyway.

You know what's an awesome Sega shooter that you can play on steam?

Binary domain.

Get Binary domain.

Hindl

I liked Bayonetta 2 more than Bayonetta. I was never into the hardcore combat, I just liked the style. Apparently Bayo 2 dumbed down a lot of that stuff, but it looks a hell of a lot more vibrant than Bayonetta and I like the weapons more. Plus it doesn't have those frustrating QTEs that pop up outta nowhere and give you less than a second to respond.

Bayo 2 also had better music

Curufinwe

Maybe I'm just immune to those minor oddities from years of reading sketchy VN and manga translations, I read really fast and my brain just assembles it into something that makes sense. I do wish its localization was up to the standards of Yakuza 0, but what is?

I'd settle for the standards of the P4 localization.

Maybe Atlus could have spent more of the funds in their back account to hire better editors or have given them extra time. Cause some of these lines are trash, and trash will never be anymore more than trash.

There are core things Bayo2 does that allow for more experimentation in combos that almost made me like it more. I might have liked Bayo2 more than Bayo1 if not for the damn partner NPC constantly telling you to hurry up every time you spent literally more than five seconds looking around levels designed to be explored.

Hindl

Maybe I'm not paying attention but I haven't seen really anything in Persona 5 that's made me pause and think about the localization. I've seen bad lines online that I must've seen while playing, but I guess I just shrugged them off. But whatever, some weird lines aren't going to keep me from enjoying it

Edit: Also, first Bayonetta in Smash, and now original Bayonetta on PC. Maybe Sega is announcing Bayonetta 3 soon?

Yooka Laylee is a classic Rare platformer. The camera is wonky at times, the controls are a little sensitive at times but overall, I'm loving it. It has a retro gaming feel to it. Brings me back to my childhood.

Can't wait to play more after work.

KingKong

Rain World looks really interesting and I feel like Brad made it seem harder than it is (it's pretty clear the red warning means there are enemies above for example)

Rain World looks really interesting and I feel like Brad made it seem harder than it is (it's pretty clear the red warning means there are enemies above for example)
But... what can you actually do if an enemy is around, other than waiting and hoping they go away? The prey simulator aspect is so cool sounding, but in practice it just looks like a lot of waiting and repetition. Victory not through skill, but rather RNG.

A well-designed level would be so much more compelling-screen-to-screen, IMO. Although maybe some kind of tuning would make Rain World's systems work better.

KingKong

But... what can you actually do if an enemy is around, other than waiting and hoping they go away? The prey simulator aspect is so cool sounding, but in practice it just looks like a lot of waiting and repetition. Victory not through skill, but rather RNG.

A well-designed level would be so much more compelling-screen-to-screen, IMO. Although maybe some kind of tuning would make Rain World's systems work better.

I agree their messaging and tutorials are poor but apparently the game actually has an AI system that moves around, it's not just randomly spawning in. I dont think we saw it in the quick look but enemies fight each other over you which is pretty cool

it did have a patch that made things easier after Brad played it so it definitely has problems

e: from the steam forums

The creatures have as much agency as the player. They exist perpetually, need to hunt for food, find shelter, get into squabbles with each other over territory, etc., and as such they are only limited in where they can go on the map by their own physical limitations (and in some instances gates, etc). Also worth noting is that each creature is a unique individual with its own size/weight/look/personality (aggression, fear, etc), and they can learn from their experience from whatever previous encounters they've had with the player.

Each of the lizard breeds has its own preferred prey. And usually they have something that they'd rather eat than a slugcat, which can be very helpful to learn!

each of the limbs of the creatures can take damage. Like, if you hit a lizards arm or leg with a rock, it can cripple that limb, meaning that the lizard cant use it for locomotion; it will move slower, and if it is trying to climb a pole or something and it weighs too much for the other limbs to support it and will probably slide down, with its broken arm or leg dangling, etc.

Another thing to note is that the creatures pathfinding will learn from its mistakes, so if it attempts a path a few times and is unable to for whatever reason, it will seek out alternate routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom