• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

repeater

Man, this is one of my most played games ever. I played so much GH2 I had note chart lanes scrolling down my field of vision as I closed my eyes and tried to sleep.

oti

Banned
you sayin I like anime
image.php

Anjin M

That's fair.

At the end of the day, no fanbase is going to turn me away from a title I'm genuinely interested in. It just gets a little more dicey when I'm on the fence. Those times a communities' temperament can have a real impact on coloring the game in my mind.

Perhaps it's shallow or whatever, but it is what it is. I don't even have time to play all the games I'd like to as it is, so it's not difficult to scratch something I'm vaguely interested in off my mental list due to minor infractions like a surly, insufferable fan base.
I learned after Undertale that, no matter how much the fans evangelize a game, I should really trust my gut about whether I will like a game or not. I'm sure Nier is a great game, but I know I shouldn't buy it.

Mr. F

Banned
The energy on this beastcast is A+, love the ragging on Bakalar. "what's the opposite of a spike?"

Wish Austin was back around more often.

Hindl

oh that's not my experience? Sorry man, I'll get my experience right next time.

Your experience of not being into any Persona after 10 hours is your own and that's fine. Your belief that Persona is a game for anime fans and not games fans is wrong

chekhonte

Your experience of not being into any Persona after 10 hours is your own and that's fine. Your belief that Persona is a game for anime fans and not games fans is wrong

I'm talking about people I know who are into persona are all people who are also into anime. That is my experience and a correct account.

Hindl

I'm talking about people I know who are into persona are all people who are also into anime. That is my experience and a correct account.

Fine but you didn't specify you were talking about people you know. You made a sweeping statement for everyone that enjoys Persona

chekhonte

Fine but you didn't specify you were talking about people you know. You made a sweeping statement for everyone that enjoys Persona

That's fine if you want to interpret a statement emotionally but don't pretend that I made a sweeping statement. I clearly said in my experience which is in no way a generalization about everybody.

def sim

This has been my experience with every Persona game. I've come to believe that the persona series is a game for anime fans and not so much a game for game fans.

I wouldn't say I'm an anime fan - it's not something I actively seek out - and I was able to enjoy the previous two games well enough. I'll give the game some more time, but I feel like the high school slice of life isn't something that's for me anymore. Maybe I'd be more into it if they made one about a Japanese salaryman.

Curufinwe

That's fine if you want to interpret a statement emotionally but don't pretend that I made a sweeping statement. I clearly said in my experience which is in no way a generalization about everybody.

Putting "my experience" before making a sweeping statement, doesn't stop it from being a sweeping statement. And a particularly stupid one at that.

This has been my experience with every Persona game. I've come to believe that the persona series is a game for anime fans and not so much a game for game fans.

repeater

This stream is super stupid. Also super great. Giantbomb.com is great.

man what a great beastcast.

I missed Austin on the beastcast but I actually really like Waypoint.
I must say I think Waypoint Radio has picked up a lot since Rob joined, he's great and really adds something to the dynamics.

Hindl

No you didn't. This is what you said:

You said that your experience is that you play Persona games for about 10 hours and it doesn't grab you. You then say that you now have a belief that Persona is a game for anime fans, not game fans. Nowhere did you say that this belief stemmed from your experience dealing with Persona fans, just a belief you formed after your experience of playing Persona games for 10 hours and not getting into them. Only after this did you clarify that this belief came from interacting with other Persona fans

chekhonte

Putting "my experience" before making a sweeping statement, doesn't stop it from being a sweeping statement. And a particularly stupid one at that.

No you didn't. This is what you said:

You said that your experience is that you play Persona games for about 10 hours and it doesn't grab you. You then say that you now have a belief that Persona is a game for anime fans, not game fans. Nowhere did you say that this belief stemmed from your experience dealing with Persona fans, just a belief you formed after your experience of playing Persona games for 10 hours and not getting into them. Only after this did you clarify that this belief came from interacting with other Persona fans

Shucks, you're both right. I mistyped that was not supposed to be my sentiment.

EDIT: also sorry about being a jackass about it.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh this sounds like a cool stream. Looking forward to watching it over the weekend.

Also I bought Flinthook during my lunch break. I'm terrible at it but really enjoying it. The movement and controls are surprisingly smooth and precise.

Austin is right, I feel like this is a game Dan would love.

Lingitiz

Yeah. This is the first Persona game I've tried to play in earnest, but I've watched all of 3 and 4 and the anime as well. All those experiences have been far more rewarding and fun than actually playing the games, which is a shame.

I'm 50 hrs into P5 and the pacing just all over the place. I know that's par for the course with this series, but it's still really frustrating and I'm finding I enjoy this series more distilled into a format where I can digest the story easily, on in the background (like an Endurance Run), or on a portable platform where I can chip away at it every now and then.

Yeah. This is the first Persona game I've tried to play in earnest, but I've watched all of 3 and 4 and the anime as well. All those experiences have been far more rewarding and fun than actually playing the games, which is a shame.

I don't think I've ever seen an anime of a game where I thought "man I shouldn't have played the game, this is better." Granted my sample size is low: Danganronpa, Persona, and Steins; Gate.

Lingitiz

I don't think I've ever seen an anime of a game where I thought "man I shouldn't have played the game, this is better." Granted my sample size is low: Danganronpa, Persona, and Steins; Gate.

That's not to say I think the anime are good, they're solid companion pieces to the game. My original exposure to the series was through the endurance run, and then jumping into the anime after that. My issue is probably expecting to have the same level of enjoyment playing this one for myself, but the slow pace is something I forgot about.

TraBuch

Banned
I feel like the next Fast and the Furious movie has to be Lucas Black and his Tokyo Drift crew versus Dom and his crew, right?

Also, Steins;Gate anime > the visual novel. Fuck visual novels. They're terribly edited books.

Scizzy

Whoever it was who said the Waypoint podcast had improved a lot was totally right. I hadn't listened to any since the first couple, but the latest one was fun and interesting. It might be the third best podcast in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom