• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Zaph

Yeah I agree. At this rate they won't even make it another 5 episodes and at that point who cares which squad members live or die or if they fail entirely? I don't want or expect high-level play, but some baseline competence, just so the series lasts longer than a few weeks, would be nice.

Would it really matter if it didn't? They've done so many other features with double-digit episode counts.

If Vinny wants to keep the format going, they could easily do something similar to TitR by breaking it into seasons and moving the feature to another game.

Would it really matter if it didn't? They've done so many other features with double-digit episode counts.

If Vinny wants to keep the format going, they could easily do something similar to TitR by breaking it into seasons and moving the feature to another game.

It's hard to get invested in their future success or failure if they're done before the game even really gets going, so yeah, I think it matters. If the stakes are higher, it's more entertaining. Even if they immediately move on to another game after this one, that doesn't change. And any potential Xcom 2 feature wouldn't even last 3 episodes judging by this.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I've said it before.

State of decay exquisite corps.

Do it GBeast.

I had to stop the video 2/3 of the way in for a bit and I guess in the meantime y'all managed to openly spoil the rest of it.

I mean. Not that any of it's a surprise. But still.

That's just the nature of things with all content- when it happens, it's going to be discussed here.
If you're really bothered by it you should stay away from the thread until you have watched. That's what I usually do for content I don't want to be spoiled on.

oti

Banned
They'll do it in Fire Pro so you have to watch wrestling

ziIKFnTgQFulnxXDDBqFCw.png

Antiwhippy

Ohhhh I would love that.

Last time I mentioned it someone said that it would be too easy.

But seeing this now.

I'd say it's just the right difficulty.

Besides Exquisite corps is like a DnD session. It's about the stories you tell for each turn.

derFeef

Last time I mentioned it someone said that it would be too easy.

But seeing this now.

I'd say it's just the right difficulty.

Besides Exquisite corps is like a DnD session. It's about the stories you tell for each turn.

Breakdown can go bad pretty quickly, not sure why it would be too easy - plus yeah :D

Hey don't judge so soon, watching people suck arse can be fun too

Yeah, the important thing is that they are having fun. If so it doesn't bother me much if they aren't playing well. Alex in SMS (at least early on) and Dan at the end of BitE were when it kind of sucked for the series.

But missing UI elements still triggers me.

I mean the story setup of XCOM 2 is literally that you failed horribly and had an early game over in XCOM: EW so it'd be a perfect transition really

Yeah pretty much. I wouldn't worry about this one ending early. They will just get to play the better game.

zelas

I can't believe I believed Dan when he said he was good a XCom.

Lol, seriously. This episode jumped into lunacy faster than any other. At the end it seemed like he was tanking on purpose with the way he was just confirming actions blindly, on multiple turns.

So a bug definitely killed Vinny. The one silver lining is that it wasn't a chrysallid.

I think the problem with the XCORPS' commander so far is that they don't all understand the core mechanics of the game. Their understanding of stuff like flanking and its bonuses, cover and its bonuses, height and its bonuses, action points, basic soldier skills, etc. are all at varying levels which is crippling their ability to survive in battles. (The strategic map is a whole 'nother beast.) Once the game transitions into more advanced enemies they'll be completely lost.

Also, as much fun as it'd be to see them try XCOM 2, I don't think they're quite ready yet. The XCOM EU to EW to XCOM 2 to (hopefully) WotC gameplay all build upon the previous foundation, so not getting one chain in the link will make the later ones harder.

I think taking the time to learn about flanking and cover direction would probably help them a lot.

I love this feature and XCOM a lot. I dont want it to just end really quick.

Shooting rockets and throwing grenades blindly probably doesnt help either.

Antiwhippy

I think taking the time to learn about flanking and cover direction would probably help them a lot.

"I SHOT THOSE DESKS SIR!"

"You've always hated learning."

BTA

I think this and Sunshine would have benefitted slightly from someone doing some research and giving them some sort of very quick intro guide/tutorial video package?

I don't mean anything explicit or "this is how you win". I just mean it'd be good to have the basics clearly stated, and in Sunshine's case an example of how to do certain moves, etc. And then they're free to forget how to do all of it for the same level of comedy, just without some wasted time for them because it's not clear to any of them how to do what they want to do.

I'm loving both, to be clear. Just think this would clear up some of the slow bits that eat time.

Kalor

That episode started well with Dan trying to get the Base organised but it went downhill way quicker than I was expecting. It'd be nice if Dan was more careful with his moves and not rushing into it but the series is a lot of fun so far even with their range of game knowledge.

Zaph

Bahhh spoiler your stuff, people, the video came out like 4 hours ago!! Not every gets to watch them the minute they're out. :(

You're never going to get everyone to spoiler tag their posts. Just don't check the thread until you've watched the thing you don't want spoiled.

I think this and Sunshine would have benefitted slightly from someone doing some research and giving them some sort of very quick intro guide/tutorial video package?

I don't mean anything explicit or "this is how you win". I just mean it'd be good to have the basics clearly stated, and in Sunshine's case an example of how to do certain moves, etc. And then they're free to forget how to do all of it for the same level of comedy, just without some wasted time for them because it's not clear to any of them how to do what they want to do.

I'm loving both, to be clear. Just think this would clear up some of the slow bits that eat time.

This would be great for all features. You could even get a GB Forum mod to compile a short list of tips.

swimbuff

To be fair, I think Dan is purposely being reckless with his units (excepting himself) for some perceived entertainment value. It was both frustrating and entertaining to watch. He should dial it back though, because the game is already challenging in its own right and watching the crew try to overcome that challenge will be fun enough by itself. Otherwise it will be a short series.

Hasney

Xcom was a mistake, xcom fans are too tryhard they can't enjoy fun

It's the opposite? Wanting the fun to continue because otherwise they'll all get wiped out.

Tell Dan that Beast in the East 2 starts when it's game over in XCOM and he might do better!

imBask

Banned
It's the opposite? Wanting the fun to continue because otherwise they'll all get wiped out.

Tell Dan that Beast in the East 2 starts when it's game over in XCOM and he might do better!

did they mention that if they all die the series die or are people just assuming that? haven't watched the latest one

Wunder

Yeah you really can't sustain that many losses, especially in the early game where keeping your squaddies/corporals alive is key to reduce the number of wasted missions/EXP. Not even considering the wider meta game of building placement, research, equipment and soldier upgrades.

I'm loving the series, it's just a shame because while it's funny, they'll soon be caught in the inevitable death spiral

BTA

did they mention that if they all die the series die or are people just assuming that? haven't watched the latest one

I think it's more that if they manage to lose all their soldiers that already have experience they're even more screwed while the game's already getting harder?

I've never played the game (I've only tried the old old original a few times) though.

BTA

I'm sure they/Vinny have a plan in place for how to proceed if things end much sooner than expected though, whether that be restarting (perhaps in an accelerated way) or the sequel or something else.

Also,
at least Dan losing people means we'll get 2 new Abby creations.

Scizzy

I kind of expected Dan to try to make himself the hero, but the extents to which he went were kind of shocking.
He had Alex running in to the open just to give himself cover! He refused to ever run and gun! He kept dashing Vinny into blind spots! He held onto the medkit forever just in case! All the while, he was safely in cover!

Edit to add: I don't think I've ever seen a single thin man
do so much damage. That one guy who got behind them killed Vinny, killed Alex, and badly wounded Lang. And Dan just ignored him!

swimbuff

They should play Final Fantasy Tactics for the next game in this series.

They will completely wipe in the Battle at Dorter Trade City.

Tagyhag

To be fair, I think Dan is purposely being reckless with his units (excepting himself) for some perceived entertainment value. It was both frustrating and entertaining to watch. He should dial it back though, because the game is already challenging in its own right and watching the crew try to overcome that challenge will be fun enough by itself. Otherwise it will be a short series.

Probably to a point but to run a series to a ground? Especially one that Vinny has wanted to do for so long?

I don't think he's THAT big of an asshole.

I think Dan was just cocky and went into it overestimating his ability and memory for the combat systems. He seemed pretty happy with himself for remembering how the metagame works, and I think that encouraged him that he could go into the combat missions and do his 'protect dan above everyone else' bit and still be ok.

Then when things started going wrong he didn't know how to right the ship.

Top Bottom