• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread 2: A thread on a popular internet message board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nert

It must be difficult to come up with a single site design that caters to a large audience with such diverse desires. For example, I only go to the website to watch their video content (and maybe to read the occasional review or article from Patrick), so I would be happy visiting a sharper and less cluttered version of YouTube. Beyond that, there's the actual GiantBomb community to consider, which cares about all of the forums, the news posts and official trailers, the wiki stuff, the quest system, private messages and everything else that I don't touch.

Even just deciding what to prioritize on the front page sounds daunting. Do you focus on interesting stuff in the community? Do you push news articles and official trailers? Do you attempt to get people to flesh out a specific wiki page? Do you use the entire page to show off the latest original video content?
do that last one, please.

Zaph

Especially after seeing the design process of Polygon.

http://i.imgur.com/To9eC.png
http://i.imgur.com/83lvr.png
http://i.imgur.com/pOkH9.png

It's hard not to notice the difference in professionalism. It reads as a high quality online magazine with beautiful font work, kerning and leading.

I love the personalities at GiantBomb, but I'm definitely disappointed in what they have shown so far for the site redesign. Who knows, maybe they'll blow me away once the final site rolls around.
2 front-end designers and a handful of engineers vs. an over-funded start up who contracted 3 independent designers just to make their logo.

Comparing the two is just silly.

Giant Bomb is your favourite old pub where everyone knows your name, while Polygon is a swank bar in Soho that's trying to do everything.

kylej

Banned
Thinking about it, after dropping the weekly show, ERs, video reviews, not having some kind of follow up to TANG, relegating ILM to candid office videos, I'm inclined to agree to an extent.

Which is why unless they show something interesting tomorrow I'm not re-subbing. Been a pretty dreadful year of content from Giant Bomb outside of the Bombcasts.

Vire

2 front-end designers and a handful of engineers vs. an over-funded start up who contracted 3 independent designers just to make their logo.

Comparing the two is just silly.

Giant Bomb is your favourite old pub where everyone knows your name, while Polygon is a swank bar in Soho that's trying to do everything.
Not a bad comparison, but I don't really think comparing the two is silly. Especially since that video almost came out day in date with the reveal of the new Giant Bomb redesign.

Both offer the same product at the end of the day, coverage of video games.

I understand Polygon has infinitely more funding, but at the same time it's not unreasonable to expect better than what we were shown.

I'm being harsh because I care about the product, otherwise I wouldn't give a shit and wouldn't be posting this. I want Giant Bomb to be the best video game website on the planet.

SerRodrik

Especially after seeing the design process of Polygon.

http://i.imgur.com/To9eC.png
http://i.imgur.com/83lvr.png
http://i.imgur.com/pOkH9.png

It's hard not to notice the difference in professionalism. It reads as a high quality online magazine with beautiful font work, kerning and leading.

I love the personalities at GiantBomb, but I'm definitely disappointed in what they have shown so far for the site redesign. Who knows, maybe they'll blow me away once the final site rolls around.

Ugh, I dunno much about their future designs, but current Polygon/Verge reeks of design wank. Really don't like the look of it.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I totally forgot about this. People don't like the new skin?

I'm quite a big fan of it, especially the way the've got the re-sizing working. But really though, the biggest piece of news to come from this for me is that they've been working on a new video player, meaning that hopefully I'll be able to pause videos now and won't have to deal with skipping back to where I was. At the same time, as neat as most of the other stuff that was shown is, 90% of my GB usage is on the video page, so as long as that ends up looking clean then I'm good.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Seriously, Brad needs to learn to get that stick out of his ass and take some constructive criticism.

People shouldn't have to walk on eggshells just because you might "Upset Brad again". I don't like the new site design, deal with it.

It's more like people complaining about a search that's hitting a production server and not a live one, so of course it isn't behaving like it's going to when it's actually a real, finished website.

Zaph

It's more like people complaining about a search that's hitting a production server and not a live one, so of course it isn't behaving like it's going to when it's actually a real, finished website.
Err, pretty sure the 'complaints' were that it's, for the most part, the same search. Nobody was expecting it to run smoothly off a laptop.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill

If I'm not mistaken, people were expecting a sort of advanced-filtering search. Jeff talked about it in either a recent podcast or QL. The example he gave was that he'd be able to sort it by all games on a certain console that have a specific concept as well as another specific concept. The idea was that it'd make searching for specific games based off of vague memories much easier.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Err, pretty sure the 'complaints' were that it's, for the most part, the same search. Nobody was expecting it to run smoothly off a laptop.

Running off a laptop has nothing to do with... I should just stop reading this thread.

Salsa

I should just stop reading this thread.

that internet mentality of getting a lot more affected over the negative stuff when you're a known guy always kinda interested me. I personally like the design and it seems a lot of people here do, cant say about the search since I barely used it but you shouldnt bum out like that when reading impressions based on a video that didnt even feature the finished product.

The internet is what it is, I dont think people here are trying to get mad over something that was promised and not yet delivered (allegedly) as much as trying to just get feedback across, even if people somehow fuck up the way to put it in words.

Nert

Running off a laptop has nothing to do with... I should just stop reading this thread.

Given the sizes of this thread, the Quick Look thread, and the weekly Bombcast threads, it's clear that there are a lot of GiantBomb fans here on NeoGAF. You could always choose to interact with, say, the more positive and constructive posts, as opposed to repeatedly getting hung up on a handful of negative comments.

You were great on this week's Tested podcast, by the way.

Is there a way to watch their preview of the site redesign? It was at 3AM so I couldn't view it live. Did they say they'll post it before the BLLSL?

Duffyside

Banned
Is there a way to watch their preview of the site redesign? It was at 3AM so I couldn't view it live. Did they say they'll post it before the BLLSL?

Dave actually said it would not be archived, as they would be showing it off again during the BLLSSLLSLLSL Live.

This will be my first BBLSL. How long has it gone on for in the past?

10 hours? 9 hours? I bet this one is more like 7 or 8.

Gomu Gomu

I'm expecting a lot of the BLLSL, because it ate all the other content this week.

I'm not. Tested fellas were always the stars of the BLLSL. And this time, they won't be a part of it, afaik. Also, I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of time dedicated to the Cards Against Humanity BS, which stopped being funny long time ago. Also, Vinny is going to be behind the scenes, manning the cameras, which means no Vinny in the midst of the show. Also, Patrick Klepick.

I have the lowest of low expectations for this year's show. I hope I'm wrong though, because who wouldn't want a good show, at the end of the day?

Wunder

Hmm interesting opinions here. Why do people not like CAH that much? I found the TNTs where they played it pretty great - and I really like the actual game itself. Really sad about Tested not being on there, and I'm worried about the amount of ComcVine presence since out of the four sites from WhiskeyMedia, comics interested me the least.

Hopefully it'll be pretty rad though, looking forward to it and also most likely renewing my subscription.

Gomu Gomu

Hmm interesting opinions here. Why do people not like CAH that much? I found the TNTs where they played it pretty great - and I really like the actual game itself. Really sad about Tested not being on there, and I'm worried about the amount of ComcVine presence since out of the four sites from WhiskeyMedia, comics interested me the least.

Hopefully it'll be pretty rad though, looking forward to it and also most likely renewing my subscription.

I found the TNT to be fun, too. However the novelty wore off pretty quickly, since then. Now, Every time Ryan brings it up, it's just boring and feels old.

Rapstah

Oh, what, the preview won't be archived? If they're going to show it during the Live Show anyway then they could just not have bothered from my perspective. Mostly because it was in the middle of the night.

Rapstah

Chat for the BLLSL just went up, with more than six hours left, but the interesting part is the ticker for the amount of premium members.

It's currently 18497 PREMIUM MEMBERS. Let's see what it is after the show.

We're nearly at 20k post with this thread so a new thread is gunna have to be made either way.

Yeah. Thats why I think a BLLSL thread would be good.

THEN after that we can make the GiantBomb |OT3| GiantBomb With a Vengeance thread with all the new info that they will hopefully announce at the live show about how they are going to make premium memberships worth a damn again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom