• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5 Live Quick Look

I think we should all pour one out for the death of the Tony Hawk franchise.

Dn7UEFU.gif

RIP in pieces.

Vire

Seriously, fuck Robomodo.

Literally killed one of my all time favorite childhood series. We will probably never see another one again because of this game.

At the end of the stream there wasn't even anything to make fun of anymore, they showed all the bad things and we had a laugh. Then it was just sad and depressing.

I don't think even funny youtubes or streams can save this

Durden77

Activision just shipping this game to be eaten alive at 60$ in the last year of Tony's contract almost seems like a sick twisted way for Kotick to cock slap Tony and just say "fuck you you weren't as nearly as useful as you should've been you are NOT CALL OF DUTY FUCK YOUR LEGACY".

SkylineRKR

Its dead, Jim.

Tony Hawk was a good franchise... over 10 years ago.

This game is the final nail in the coffin. No doubt about it. And Activision must know what they're selling, and they set the price. I'd say they send this to die and gain profit on anyone who lets nostalgia get the better off him. It would've sold like shit at 30 as well, might as well go full buck.

wintergwen

Neo Member
I've really liked THPS since I first started playing video games in general, and kept casually playing good installments up until now. This is pretty big fucking bummer

zeioIIDX

Thrasher Kickstarter... GO!
"I'm the king of rock, there is none higher! Sucka MCs should call me sire!"

I would LOVE another Thrasher. The system they had for breaking boned and shit was so entertaining and my brother and I would sit for hours just totally wrecking our skater to see who can get hurt the most.

Dunkley

Favourite line so far:

"This game is 60 dollars. 60 dollars! That's insane to me. This game feels like someone is trying to make a Tony Hawks-style game in 2015, and they launched it on early access on Steam, and also four people worked on it. That's what it feels like"

Was gonna post this, it really describes the game pretty well.

Apdiddy

I can't imagine someone somewhere at Activision actually greenlighting as a final, retail, publishable game. I thought the rumors of it being bad were just rumors until I saw the QL.

Either Bobby Kotick really doesn't give a fuck or someone thought it was ready.

I fear for Transformers Devastation at this point.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm watching the QL and... it's not so bad so far.

I mean, it's by no mean a great game, but it's not the mess I was promised.

dreamfall

Well all the skate games are on sale on XBL. Hoping they'll be backwards compatible with the XBO. This game just makes me sad. That Quick Look was brutal. When the game is $10 I'll get it.

Stop Robomodo from developing anything further on this franchise. It was dying, and they've probably killed it.

Why bring back the Pro Skater name 13 years later just to shit on it?
Activision has piss poor brand management, they either milk a series to death or let them die quivering on the floor.

This looks terrible. Whoever decided this should be a $60 game is an asshole

Fixed.

kotick-from-forbes-490.jpg

"I'm back, bitches!"

Via Dan Teasdale

This is the asshole, Activision and Kotick know how to make money. They are not foolish for gouging people and selling them a turd sandwich of a game, some would say he's actually kind of smart for being able to pull it off. He's certainly an asshole though for milking an excellent franchise that still has potential legs, and could have in all honesty been rejuvenated at a time when there's a serious dearth of skate games.

Even if the visuals were subpar, there's really no reason for not polishing out of major bugs, and at least shipping a fun product. I'm sure Robomodo are largely to blame for that part though, they really seem to miss the point of what makes a good Tony Hawk game from what I've seen. Also, even with a tiny budget, how could they seriously not be able to at least ship a functionally decent game considering they already had the core game made for Tony Hawk HD? all we needed was that with new levels.

This hurts me to watch this. THPS2 is like my top 5 most played Playstation games. This hurts.
For one, it's indisputable proof that budget and the amount of work put into a game has nothing to do with the $60 price tag. So that's one argument that can be more easily shot down in the future.
True, but when a game like OlliOlli only cost $10 and has the heart and soul of a fun Tony Hawk game than......this, I think we can make an exception.

Dineren

Banned
Has anyone tried the THPS HD on PC? Hearing about this game is really making me want to jump back into a Tony Hawk game and it is available for $10. I've only had time to watch part of the Giant Bomb ql for it and the biggest complaints I have seen so far seem to be that it took away the improvements that 3 brought. I don't really mind if it is not all that refined, I just want to make sure I'm not throwing $10 away on complete garbage.

Top Bottom