• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 10/06/15

Yeah. I get what people are saying when they say that no one should've had high expectations going into THPS5, and I by and large didn't. But it's still such a hugely disappointing game for me because it's one of my all time favourite franchises, and this is more than likely how it goes out. And yeah, there's no other bad "mainline" THPS games, it's just that Activision milked it dry.

I knew it was going to be bad going by the pre-release footage and the mere fact that Robomodo (shithouse extraordinaire) was making it, and I didn't really mind because there were so many outright great Tony Hawk games already. I didn't think that having one bad one was that big a deal, but as more time goes by it's starting to really get to me.

Tony Hawk games are among some of the very best ever made, and the series as a whole has an incredible track record to the point that any of the first five or so games could be considered the best by a lot of fans of the series. Imagine a mainline Zelda being this bad. Imagine Super Mario Bros. 4 (or 5, if you consider World to be 4) coming out and being something you flat out couldn't enjoy. That's what this is like to me. Maybe I'm thinking too much of it, but it just seems tragic all around.

Myggen

I knew it was going to be bad going by the pre-release footage and the mere fact that Robomodo (shithouse extraordinaire) was making it, and I didn't really mind because there were so many outright great Tony Hawk games already. I didn't think that having one bad one was that big a deal, but as more time goes by it's starting to really get to me.

Tony Hawk games are among some of the very best ever made, and the series as a whole has an incredible track record to the point that any of the first five or so games could be considered the best by a lot of fans of the series. Imagine a mainline Zelda being this bad. Imagine Super Mario Bros. 4 (or 5, if you consider World to be 4) coming out and being something you flat out couldn't enjoy. That's what this is like to me. Maybe I'm thinking too much of it, but it just seems tragic all around.

Yeah, no doubt. I think I love that franchise more than most, so it sucks.

danm999

Wasn't THPS5 the game they mentioned a few weeks ago that was being handled by an external PR firm that basically raised red flags with them?

antitrop

I rented Tony Hawk 5 yesterday and actually played it all the way to the final level.

It's easily one of the worst games I have ever played, and I've played some real pieces of shit. Can't wait to hear how their thoughts match up to my own.

Wasn't THPS5 the game they mentioned a few weeks ago that was being handled by an external PR firm that basically raised red flags with them?

I do not remember, but an external PR house should not automatically be a red flag for a game. I don't think they would have said exactly that for any game.

So glad to hear Jeff's in depth thoughts on THPS5 now that he's had it for a week. The 'lol, game sux' that's been going around while funny has all kind of been surface level stuff, good to hear a core break down of the failings with the game.

Myggen

I do not remember, but an external PR house should not automatically be a red flag for a game. I don't think they would have said exactly that for any game.

The reason it was a red flag was because it's the same external PR house Activision more or less only use for their budget titles, Cabela's and the likes. So when they saw (at E3?) that Activision was using those exact same guys and not the internal PR people to market a full priced game like THPS5 it said something about the faith Activision had in the game. That's how I understood it.

The reason it was a red flag was because it's the same external PR house Activision more or less only use for their budget titles, Cabela's and the likes. So when they saw (at E3?) that Activision was using those exact same guys and not the internal PR people to market the game it said something about the faith Activision had in the game. That's how I understood it.

That makes sense. Thanks!

Phediuk

It is blowing my god damn mind how Tony Hawk 5, released in 2015, has less content and is basically worse in every way than Tony Hawk 2, which came out in 2000 on the fucking PS1.

Nachos

Bombcast said:
...and... yeah, OK, we only talked about Destiny a LITTLE bit.

That's like saying that a piece of bread is only a LITTLE moldy. The visible mold's just the decoy fungus that lulls you into false sense of security after being scraped off, masking that everything's contaminated.

(I actually haven't minded the recent Destiny talk; I just find the reactions to any mention of it funny.)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Try refreshing it. Unless Overcast is fucked again for GB podcasts it should show up, the RSS feed has been updated for well over an hour.
Weird, still doesn't show. Never had this problem before, hopefully it'll fix itself soon.

Edit:
Don't see it on itunes as well.

Myggen

Weird, still doesn't show. Never had this problem before, hopefully it'll fix itself soon.

Edit:
Don't see it on itunes as well.

Shows up on itunes for me now. Weird.

edit: Interesting info from Jeff at about 2 hour 15 minutes into the podcast about Skate: "So I actually posted on Twitter that EA should make a new Skate, as I do every 6 months or so. This time a couple of EA people responded and one of them was like 'we're trying to get it done!' Someone at ears made it sound like they were trying to get it off the ground."

Lingitiz

I wish Dan could talk more in depth about Undertale but there's a lot of stuff you can't say without spoiling some of the cool things in it. Hopefully the others will play it and they can talk about it in the goty casts.

Kirlia

Banned
I wish Dan could talk more in depth about Undertale but there's a lot of stuff you can't say without spoiling some of the cool things in it. Hopefully the others will play it and they can talk about it in the goty casts.

I can't see why Brad wouldn't play Undertale, although isn't there some stuff
certain game mechanics
in Undertale that might hamper Jeff since he's colorblind (I think)? But I hope Drew (put aside your mobile games!) and Jason give it a chance, too.

antitrop

Jeff preferred to play Destiny instead of THPS5 due to it's crappiness. Wow.

I would recommend playing just about anything instead of Tony Hawk 5.

I fucking raged all day yesterday, I've never sworn as much at a game as I did with this one. It was a game that kept getting worse, too. Like, the first level in the game is actually possible to have fun with, and then it just keeps getting worse... and worse... and worse.... and worse.

That fucking Rooftop level is absolutely the worst thing I've ever seen in a Tony game, it makes me angry thinking about it. It's like a level designed around making sure you can't combo for shit.

The first level and the Warehouse remake are the only levels that even come remotely close to having a playable framerate, too.

Jintor

The reason it was a red flag was because it's the same external PR house Activision more or less only use for their budget titles, Cabela's and the likes. So when they saw (at E3?) that Activision was using those exact same guys and not the internal PR people to market a full priced game like THPS5 it said something about the faith Activision had in the game. That's how I understood it.

weirdly though isn't transformers out from the same pr house?

so it's possible activision just has nfi what they're doing

RE_Player

In terms of news do they hit any of the big stories that have occurred this week? Microsoft buying Havok? Square Enix cancelling that god awful Deus Ex pre-order campaign? Twisted Pixel leaving Microsoft?

Recall

In terms of news do they hit any of the big stories that have occurred this week? Microsoft buying Havok? Square Enix cancelling that god awful Deus Ex pre-order campaign? Twisted Pixel leaving Microsoft?

Yes

Beast cast covered the Deus Ex stuff in depth on Friday's show

Vire

Sad that Destiny is now a hush word and can now only be spoken about in five minute segments. Don't be ashamed Bradley.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sad that Destiny is now a hush word and can now only be spoken about in five minute segments. Don't be ashamed Bradley.
The conversation is exactly the same every time. It's just boring. I'd rather suffer through Dan vomiting up some WWE history.

Robaperas

I would recommend playing just about anything instead of Tony Hawk 5.

I fucking raged all day yesterday, I've never sworn as much at a game as I did with this one. It was a game that kept getting worse, too. Like, the first level in the game is actually possible to have fun with, and then it just keeps getting worse... and worse... and worse.... and worse.

That fucking Rooftop level is absolutely the worst thing I've ever seen in a Tony game, it makes me angry thinking about it. It's like a level designed around making sure you can't combo for shit.

The first level and the Warehouse remake are the only levels that even come remotely close to having a playable framerate, too.

I'm sorry you had to endure such a mess, it sounds like a horrible experience :/

KarmaCow

weirdly though isn't transformers out from the same pr house?

so it's possible activision just has nfi what they're doing

It seems like the new Tony Hawk game, Transformers was also not a game a they were not willing to spend much money on, much less a big marketing push. The difference is Platinum managed to make a good game using those Groupons and worn shoelaces.

They had two different conversations about it in this podcast coming off an hour long discussion and an 8 hour video last week, I think Destiny fans needs are being met.

antitrop

I'm sorry you had to endure such a mess, it sounds like a horrible experience :/

It was basically "for science", I wanted to see how far down the rabbit hole of despair went. I replayed a good chunk of THPS3 last week in preparation.

THPS3 is still really good. If it wasn't for the whole soundtrack licensing thing, they could easily just put that up for digital sale in 1080p and it would still kick ass. I think that's really true of any of the Neversoft ones.

Top Bottom