• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 10/06/15

Joeku

I don't consider the PS+ games free, but when I pay $35-$40 for a year of PS+, about $3 a month for a for a slew of games is close enough it might as well be. Time to put into them is more of a factor than anything.

That goes for all those questions that I see getting made as GAF topics now, too. Is Arkham Origins worth $8? Is AC: Unity worth $10? The answer is entirely dependent on your interest relative to how valuable your time is.

Sure, but if they're allowed to feel as if the games are bonuses, then people who were PS+ users back when they gave away Uncharted 2 have a right to feel as if the quality of the games they pay for - as part of their PS+ subscription - have dramatically decreased.

Heck, I know there's an old Bombcast where they talked about how PS+ improved because of all the good games they were offering. So there was a time when Jeff and Ryan were talking about PS+ as a monthly rental service or however you want to think about it.

I never said they weren't. It's all perception and semantics. It's a dumb thing to get upset over.

ArjanN

When are people going to understand that PS+ games are NOT free? We are paying for them.

Dan's view of PS+ was horrendous. I pay for multiplayer and the free games are just a bonus. Really? Ugh. Those games are not a bonus, you are paying for them.

The games are definitely not free, the people complaining about indie games are definitely a bunch of huge babies though.

Liamc723

The games are definitely not free, the people complaining about indie games are definitely a bunch of huge babies though.

I agree with them to a point, but it's pretty dumb of them to just ignore some of the fantastic smaller games we've gotten out of the service.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I would really love to see Jeff do another talking head video review for Tony Hawk 5, to add to the rest of the ones he did. Maybe even bleach his hair again for the occasion.

Massa

But if you signed up for PS+ during the PS3 era, you were doing it for the games and for the discounts. The quality of the games have clearly dropped since the launch of the PS4 - on all three platforms covered by PS+.

Disagree there. The quality of games on Plus is better than ever. This is the first year my GOTY may end up being a free game on Plus, and it was free at launch. That's fantastic.

Fjordson

Great episode. And thank you Jason for talking about Read Only Memories. I didn't even know it existed until listening to this Bombcast.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Disagree there. The quality of games on Plus is better than ever. This is the first year my GOTY may end up being a free game on Plus, and it was free at launch. That's fantastic.
Meanwhile, I haven't touched any of the games because the ones that I'm interested in I already played on PC and I have no interest in Rocket League.

PS+ Vita year one gave me Uncharted, Wipeout, Gravity Rush, Hot Shots Golf, and I think Disgaea. PS+ singlehandedly made it worth owning a Vita. Now? It's a sea of indie game ports and tears.

TxdoHawk

I remember watching these when they came out and thinking that THPS3 getting a 10 was crazy. THPS4 was my personal favorite but it was also the game that slowly evolved into the THUG games with the dumb jackass-like missions.

4 is also my favorite. 3 is almost perfect in this very pure and simple way, but 4 introduced C-O-M-B-O goals which I couldn't get enough of, even the second set that are crazy hard.

I almost never enjoy this kind of frustratingly hard gameplay that demands near-perfection, but there was something intoxicating about slamming my face into those goals a million times trying to nail the entire combo.

Joeku

Meanwhile, I haven't touched any of the games because the ones that I'm interested in I already played on PC and I have no interest in Rocket League.

PS+ Vita year one gave me Uncharted, Wipeout, Gravity Rush, Hot Shots Golf, and I think Disgaea. PS+ singlehandedly made it worth owning a Vita. Now? It's a sea of indie game ports and tears.

There aren't that many Vita releases anymore. Dragon's Crown got on PS+ and that was a game I had a mild interest in but never bought. Since then I've put like 6ish hours into it and it is a blast. That's awesome!

patapuf

The PS4 not being backwards compatible makes what can be offered on PS+ limited. New console, new library needs to be built up. Publishers won't give up their 60$ games for free in the year they release in and even Sony ain't willing to do that.

The Vita only gets indie nowadays because.... that's the only thing that gets released on Vita.

I also don't doubt that MP being required now makes them more reluctant to pay big bucks to a publisher to get a game on the service.

yami4ct

The PS4 not being backwards compatible makes what can be offered on PS+ limited. New console, new library needs to be built up. Publishers won't give up their 60$ games for free in the year they release in and even Sony ain't willing to do that.

The Vita only gets indie nowadays because.... that's the only thing that gets released on Vita.

I also don't doubt that MP being required now makes them more reluctant to pay big bucks to a publisher to get a game on the service.

Vita also gets quite a few Japanese titles as well, but I guess niche publishers like XSEED and NISA don't really want to deal with cannibalizing their already niche markets by offering PS+ titles. For instance, I think it would've been great to have seen one of the Corpse Party titles on PS+ last month to drum up support for Blood Drive, but I guess they're gonna get what sales they'll get regardless. Same for Trails in the Sky FC when SC finally arrives.

Top Bottom