• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - | 10-30-2012 |

I agree, actually. As long as they are not currently doing jobs for those companies, I do not see a problem. But it is easy to make that line call when you have not done it. It is much harder to say "no swag." I am not convinced that doing mock reviews compromises you more than your exceptance of swag or your PR relationships. It is just a convenient stance since nobody at GB has actually done mock reviews.

So... They are wrong and I'm right because opinions...?

obonicus

So I still have no idea if this is true, but someone made an accusation that said that Konami paid or gave some benefits to the guy who made the MGS4 OT years ago. I have no idea if that's true or not, but even on GAF, I wouldn't be surprised if some weird shit is happening.

BruceLeeRoy made that thread, and he's still around. I have no idea if it's true, but he still has the fancy title I believe Evilore gave him for the MGS4 OT -- which is kinda my point. People would make fancy OTs for the GAF cred. But I don't even mean OT people. I mean the crazies who populate OTs, the folks who are 100% in love with a game they've never even played and have it preordered before they've even seen actual gameplay footage. Honestly, virals are probably mostly unnecessary.

So... They are wrong and I'm right because opinions...?

Opinions are not all equal. I have tried to express mine in this thread. I hope people want more out of their media. I do not see a problem with that as long as what they want is reasonable. Corporate influence in media is more dominant than ever so it is easy for those involved to say "no big deal, I am not nearly as bad as ____."

I try to live my life in a way that I practice what I preach. I could give personal examples but that is not what this thread is about. I will say shortly that I used to be a utilitarian in my world view but I switched to a Kantian persective becaue I ultimately concluded that living my life by principles matters more to me than the cop out excuse that what I do does not matter. Yet even if we were to view it from a utilitarian perspective, I frankly think that what we consume (both in terms of information and physical goods) matters way more than even how we vote given larger capitalistic influences at hand. If I were in their position, I would not accept this shit. I would try to uphold tradition journalistic standards because I think they had value. That is me. Ball is in their court.

Opinions are not all equal. I have tried to express mine in this thread. I hope people want more out of their media. I do not see a problem with that as long as what they want is reasonable. Corporate influence in media is more dominant than ever so it is easy for those involved to say "no big deal, I am not nearly as bad as ____."

I try to live my life in a way that I practice what I preach. I could give personal examples but that is not what this thread is about. I will say shortly that I used to be a utilitarian in my world view but I switched to a Kantian persective becaue I ultimately concluded that living my life by principles matters more to me than the cop out excuse that what I do does not matter. I frankly think that what we consume (both in terms of information and physical goods) matters way more than even how we vote given larger capitalistic influences at hand. If I were in their position, I would not accept this shit. I would try to uphold tradition journalistic standards because I think they had value. That is me. Ball is in their court.

But you are not, and you also casually dismiss the opinions of the ones that actually are in this position.

I try to live my life in a way that I practice what I preach. I could give personal examples but that is not what this thread is about. I will say shortly that I used to be a utilitarian in my world view but I switched to a Kantian persective becaue I ultimately concluded that living my life by principles matters more to me than the cop out excuse that what I do does not matter. Yet even if we were to view it from a utilitarian perspective, I frankly think that what we consume (both in terms of information and physical goods) matters way more than even how we vote given larger capitalistic influences at hand. If I were in their position, I would not accept this shit. I would try to uphold tradition journalistic standards because I think they had value. That is me. Ball is in their court.

Just out of interest (and I'm not trying to "GOTCHA!" you here, I'm legitimately curious), what video games/electronics do you buy and play? Consumer electronics in general is an industry with tons of problems, international business ethics in manufacturing especially.

Guys, he seems to just be a typical self-righteous young man in the throes of early exposure to philosophy and politics. He knows not what he says.

Guys, he seems to just be a typical self-righteous young man in the throes of early exposure to philosophy and politics. He knows not what he says.

I am 35 years old. I have degrees in both philosophy and literature and I currently teach at a major state university. I would never have brought any of this up except for your ridiculious attack ad hominem. Also, in regards to young students who have just been exposed to the world of ideas, their opinions count too. I do not dismiss people.

I am 35 years old. I have degrees in both philosophy and literature amd I currently teach at a major state university. I would never have brought any of this up except for your ridiculious attack ad hominem. Also, in regards to young students who have just been exposed to the world of ideas, their opinions count too. I do not dismiss people.

Well none of that was experience was apparent to myself or seemingly to a myriad of other folks in the thread. If I insulted you I do apologize, but I don't think I was alone in my characterization of your position throughout the thread.

I am 35 years old. I have degrees in both philosophy and literature amd I currently teach at a major state university. I would never have brought any of this up except for your ridiculious attack ad hominem. Also, in regards to young students who have just been exposed to the world of ideas, their opinions count too. I do not dismiss people.

Except when people said that in their line of job they found mock reviews a little shady... that a giant viking statue probably is more annoying in the long run than cool... that the subconscious is not an Instant Win Card and your actions are still your own responsibility until certain reasonable degree...

Just out of interest (and I'm not trying to "GOTCHA!" you here, I'm legitimately curious), what video games/electronics do you buy and play? Consumer electronics in general is an industry with tons of problems, international business ethics in manufacturing especially.

It is. And we all play a "utilitarian calculus" game of sorts. I just no longer use that as the ultimate end all be all of my guiding principles. It can serve as an easy cop-out, especially in a world where it is easy to feel like nothing you do really matters. I try to pay attention to when games are produced under horrible circumstances. Same with hardware. That is hard, though, since nobody reports on it until way after the fact. I buy digital products where possible, even if it costs me the same amount (or even when it costs me more) because I care about the waste factor.

But I am scatter brained and leave lights on when I should not, for example. I am not perfect. Nor do I demand that the people who produce the media I consume be perfect either. But I do hope they think about these sort of things and wrestle with them individually and give me intelligent responses to why they approach things the way they do. In this particular case, I just wish we had more introspection and less defensiveness from the GB crew. Because I think GB is a great outlet, I was disappointed they didn't set a better example in this regard.

It is. And we all play a "utilitarian calculus" game of sorts. I just no longer use that as the ultimate end all be all of my guiding principles. It can serve as an easy cop-out, especially in a world where it is easy to feel lime nothing you do really matters. I try to pay attention to when games are produced under horrible circumstances. That is hard, though, since nobody reports on it until way after the fact. I buy digital products where possible, even if it costs me the same amount (or even when it costs me more) because I care about the waste factor.

Este... You are still using electronics to play this products. This electronics that use materials from militia or are made by, what is in practice, "slave labor" from a Chinese manufacturer.

Jintor

It feels as though they already more or less habitually ignore most of the free crap they get - throw it in the corner, more or less - and would be unable to operate at the level they currently do without the rest (Skyrim statute notwithstanding).

I don't buy it. They had to scan the negative in at some insane resolution before they could do all that Special Edition work, right? There has to be an archive of the films prior to the additions. Not preserving the original footage would just be insane.

But is Lucas, insanity is always a possibility.

I don't buy it. They had to scan the negative in at some insane resolution before they could do all that Special Edition work, right? There has to be an archive of the films prior to the additions. Not preserving the original footage would just be insane.

They could, at the very least, hunt down someone with an original film reel print. Those still exist and are shown at quasi-legal gatherings, and from what I hear they're still in great condition. I'm sure people who still own that sort of thing would willingly give/sell it back to Disney for transfer work.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
I find this whole thing to be stupid. They restore films from 1900's but somehow can't for something from 1970's? lol

inky

So is Lucas.

It is. And we all play a "utilitarian calculus" game of sorts. I just no longer use that as the ultimate end all be all of my guiding principles. It can serve as an easy cop-out, especially in a world where it is easy to feel like nothing you do really matters. I try to pay attention to when games are produced under horrible circumstances. Same with hardware. That is hard, though, since nobody reports on it until way after the fact. I buy digital products where possible, even if it costs me the same amount (or even when it costs me more) because I care about the waste factor.

But I am scatter brained and leave lights on when I should not, for example. I am not perfect. Nor do I demand that the people who produce the media I consume be perfect either. But I do hope they think about these sort of things and wrestle with them individually and give me intelligent responses to why they approach things the way they do. In this particular case, I just wish we had more introspection and less defensiveness from the GB crew. Because I think GB is a great outlet, I was disappointed they didn't set a better example in this regard.

Did you know there is a thread for all things Giant Bomb related? No one should have a problem with you expressing your opinions about the site as a whole, but these individual weekly threads are meant mainly for discussions about specific episodes.

I know you're talking about points they discuss this week, but keep in mind that these threads usually don't last very long and you can have a more ongoing discussion here.

He might be confusing the negatives with the original masters, which would very likely be dust by now. I mean, they did the same thing very recently with the Indiana Jones Blu-rays: they did a new 4K digital transfer of an original negative which obviously didn't have any of the Special Edition touch ups that were made to Raiders (at least) and left them out. Same thing happened with E.T. as well, but in that situation I believe Spielberg specifically recanted on the changes during a Q&A. When asking the audience if they were fine with just the theatrical cut he was met with a resounding "Yes".

Proof of what Anth0ny's saying:

Click to Expand said:
k7pg2370-x3fho69.jpg

k7pg2415-x3hko23.jpg

k7pg2317-x3x8r2b.jpg

k7pg2439-x385pr6.jpg

k7pg2478-x3a2ps4.jpg

k7pg2434-x3ayrsv.jpg

My argument was that Skyrim is the most robustly successful execution to date of the Bethesda RPG formula, a formula that I think is currently the best thing going in games (and I'd be thrilled to see someone else come along and do it better, because lord knows Bethesda's implementation ain't perfect). Saints Row is kind of a trifle as open-world games go, and the humor missed for me as much as it hit. I really enjoyed it but in my mind it's not GOTY material just because of its (admittedly delightful) subversive qualities.

If you've been with the podcast from the beginning you can't have missed the Fallout 3 discussions that took place for months on end ad nauseam, so you know we all sincerely really like that kind of game. Please take this as evenly as possible, but the idea that a stupid statue entered into the thought process in any way, even subconsciously, is offensive.

The bolded part of your quote is the most distressing, though. If we aren't capable of deciding for ourselves which games are a "big deal" and how much coverage a game warrants, purely based on how much the audience cares about it and how much we're interested in it, we shouldn't be doing this job in the first place. I like to think the number of QLs and reviews we post for smaller downloadable and indie games is a good offset to coverage of big, hyped retail releases.

As has been pointed out in the other thread, you're creating a no-win scenario in which we either admit we're compromised, or it turns out we're compromised anyway and just don't know it. The only solution at that point is to decide whether you trust us enough to keep listening to what we have to say. I do hope our track records speak for themselves in that regard.

I will back Brad on Skyrim until the end of days. The reason is because I went in hating Oblivion and Fallout 3 expecting it to suck. I think I put more than 200 hours into Skyrim last year and this year. I also played SR3. While I thought it was a really fun open world game that was way better than GTAIV, it just didn't live up to the hype for me. RDR is still my favorite open world game of all time. The irony is that SR3 on PC was way buggier than Skyrim for me. I had to play the whole game in DX9 because the frame rate was horrid. That and I tried to go back and do the second ending and my weapons loadout screen was bugged so I could only equip pistols.

Curufinwe

Hey Brad, don't listen to Patrick and Jeff's advice to not collect all the feathers in Assassin's Creed 2. They just don't understand.

If you follow a map it only take a few hours, and is kind of fun, especially if you have some music or a good podcast playing in the background. If you use your "DNA" info in the pause menu, you can see how many feathers you have found in each city, which helps you track down the ones you are missing.

http://www.gamesradar.com/assassins-creed-ii-feathers-and-treasure-chests-guide/?page=1

And with the full sync requirements, multiplayer achievements, and DLC that all the Assassin's Creed games after 2 have, AC2 is the last realistic chance most of us will have for S-ranking a game in this series.

Rlan

On the talk of game journalism and so forth -- one of the things I think a lot of the people who are very critical about the whole ordeal is to see those in the industry treat the industry like adults, and for them to treat the allegations like adults. Jeff clearly takes this shit seriously and despite being very juvenile about a lot of stuff, he's serious about his job.

Now what you see about those who are under scrutiny, such as Wainwright or Justin from Joystiq is that it's also an industry filled with people who act like children on a regular basis who don't seem to be able to take much seriously at all.

Suggestion for brad, don't think some knowledge or what not is 'Too inside baseball', if it's something you won't get in trouble about, post it, or talk about it :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Didn't that Amazon guy get banned for that?
He got banned for offering to hook OT creators up with publishers (who are "very interested" in OTs for marketing purposes).

BruceLeeRoy made that thread, and he's still around. I have no idea if it's true, but he still has the fancy title I believe Evilore gave him for the MGS4 OT -- which is kinda my point. People would make fancy OTs for the GAF cred. But I don't even mean OT people. I mean the crazies who populate OTs, the folks who are 100% in love with a game they've never even played and have it preordered before they've even seen actual gameplay footage. Honestly, virals are probably mostly unnecessary.
The way it was mentioned in the thread, I assumed he got some money or at least the game for free from Konami.

This is bullshit.

I know people with technicolor prints (of the original, unaltered Star Wars) in pristine condition that look assloads better than the current blu ray release.

Lucas lying?! NO WAY!

Lombax

Banned

As I understand it Lucas considers the re-release cuts of the original trilogy as the "definitive versions" and only wants to "improve" the movies from there.
Thankfully you can still find the original theatrical releases of the films on DVD [they are the included 2nd disk] from the first set of DVD's that came out after the first re-release of Star Wars in the early 2000's
Also if you want to go another route there is always the de-specialized cuts.

My hope is Lucas no longer has a say in what happens with the franchise [post sale] and someone at Disney realizes people want the original theatrical releases.

Nizz

I honestly assume that would be the case. I'd say that most likely happened.

This is bullshit.

I know people with technicolor prints (of the original, unaltered Star Wars) in pristine condition that look assloads better than the current blu ray release.
That's the first thing I thought of, as is those pics that EmCeeGramr posted. That looks like a great print of New Hope. But I wonder if there are other prints in the wild of that quality for Empire and Jedi?

As I understand it Lucas considers the re-release cuts of the original trilogy as the "definitive versions" and only wants to "improve" the movies from there.
Thankfully you can still find the original theatrical releases of the films on DVD [they are the included 2nd disk] from the first set of DVD's that came out after the first re-release of Star Wars in the early 2000's
Also if you want to go another route there is always the de-specialized cuts.

My hope is Lucas no longer has a say in what happens with the franchise [post sale] and someone at Disney realizes people want the original theatrical releases.
I remember hearing Lucas mention this as well. The special edition versions of the original trilogy are what he considers the default versions from here on.

Top Bottom