• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

giveaway: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap for Nintendo Switch (US or EU)

Indelible

My favorite Metroidvania was Metroid: Zero Mission for the GBA, Nintendo went above and beyond in remaking the original Metroid. Everything about the game from the graphics to the music was exactly what I wanted out of a Metroid game.

Sweet little giveaway. :)

My favourite Metroidvania is Castlevania: Portraits of Ruin. Not because it is the greatest game ever and I can see clearly some people roll their eyes because of my choice. But the game was made special because I gave it to a good friend. She didnt have much money at the time and she wanted to try the game so badly. I got it and after i fibished it I sended it to her and she played through it and was so grateful. I think she completed it with 111% or whatever was possible.
But life is life and I lost contact with her in the last few years but whenever I boot up the game and see her name it makes me smile. :)

Oh and the greatest transformation for me is the one of Joel in the Last of Us. He lost his daughter and everything which was important for him. The life in the apocalyptic world made a cynical murderer out of him who lived every day like it could be its last one. But then there is that girl who he refueses at the beginning that he cares for her but in the end his stone cold heart beats for her and there is something in the world for him to live for. Sometimes the greatest transformation is inside your heart and not the clothes you change.

Podge293

Illusion of time. The requirements to switch between Will, Freedan and Shadow were amazing to me at the time. Especially since you needed to be in the special portals which made it all the more magical

Game still is a top tier game. Recently spent a chunk of change on getting a copy.

Fou-Lu

Super cool contest idea OP! Thanks!

AJutU3f.jpg

I don't think it is the best Metroidvania of all time, but my FAVOURITE Metroidvania would be Aquaria developed by Bit Blot. You play as Naija, a simple mermaid who has the power of song. The story is told through narration. She sets out on an adventure that ends up leading to her killing some gods that might as well be out of the Cthulhu mythos. It's one of the only underwater games I find enjoyable, the areas are incredibly varied, the story is touching, the soundtrack is great, the map is huge, and it can get really damn dark. Plus, it has a transformation mechanic that I really enjoyed too so it covers both possibilities in the OP! Naija gets transformations that allow her to shoot magic missles, eat her enemies, swim through harsh currents, or light up dark places.

Roxas

My favourite metroidvania is Axiom Verge. Cool game with great weapons, fantastic soundtrack, good story.. Blew my mind when I found out it was all done by one guy.

It's not original or a hidden gem but Aria of sorrow is for sure my favorite metroidvania. I played and loved super Metroid at the time but I do think Aria of sorrow has more depth and variety and can be considered a better complete game.

Not that super Metroid is bad in any way, but I think I remember Aria of sorrow more fondly even if super Metroid was more impactful and original at the time of its release.

Favorite transformation has to be from this game I discovered last year.
BulkSlash_title.png

A lot of games try to do the "plane/Mecha" thing but this game gets it right with fast paced action and speed, all in a 3d free range of movement on Saturn.

Theres a reason to transform as it feels like enemies are designed to be taken on in one form or another. The animation is good and the feedback from movement in both modes is perfect.

53956-Bulk_Slash_(J)-5.jpg

83a3d5f5.jpg

Play bulk slash in an emulator or burn a copy because it's way too expensive and never came out in the us.

Before anything, thanks for doing this!

So lets see, my favorite metroidvanias have to be with Castlevania Circle of the moon and mega man ZX.
I have this extreme found memory of CotM since it was my first ever gameboy advance game. I had no idea what I was getting my self into other than thinking, hey this must be like super castlevania... boy was I wrong! Everything about the game just amazed me from the music to the excellent sprite work it was stunning to say the least. Then the cool card system with the options of 100 different spells (I was a young and did not explore this as much I should have). The bosses where huge the fights where epic and thanks to this I never let a castlevania on the GBA DS ever pass me up. It was a gift I will forever love and still play to this day. Also sucks its not part of cannon anymore... WHY D:

The game that hits both categories is Mega Man ZX which had cool transformations and was a mix of mega man X and metroidvania gameplay. For some odd reason just like the GBA when I got my DS lite I also purchased mega man zx expecting something closer to mega man zero. Well this was one of the rare moments where 2 of my favorite games mega man x and castlevania CoTM blurred together into something just majestic. It had the biometals which transformed vent/aile into different armor with specific advantages. What makes them stand out for me is not the concept art but the sprites, I just love how fluid and streamlined it all felt.Specificaly Model H, the biometal of wind, it had the ability to air dash and used 2 sabers. I could not stop using that transformation till the game forced me to change to progress lol.

I like transforming into Curly Form in Aria of Sorrow (Which BTW To me is the best Metroidvania game within Castlevania party due to how the hell can they deliver this on GBA, the length and plot twist is prefect too) and rush into enemies . Actually i like any ( late game) transformation in where you can quickly dash into enemies and killing them in the process .

Souzetsu

My favorite transformations are any of the Majora's Mask transformations. They are really creepy, which matched the overall tone of the game pretty well.

Cool of you for giving the game away!

Has to be Castlevania Symphony of the Night for me.
I never got to play it on PS1 although I always wanted to, so when it was released on XB Live Arcade I bought it as soon as I could.
The game was blew my mind even though I had played through the GBA games and I've happily replayed the game multiple times and plan to play it again on my Xbox One.

Intel_89

My favourite Metroidvania is Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, the game received a lot of flack for having a fragmented structure with how you'd have dozens of areas to explore rather than one big area with interconnecting paths. It made for a more linear experience but not necessarily a bad one. Shanoa is a great protagonist and the story is pretty neat, the style is fantastic and the soundtrack is god tier.

Thanks maxcriden and good luck to everyone.

Dinjoralo

For my favorite Metroidvania, it'd have to be Dark Souls. The interconnected world just lead to so many "WOW" moments, like the elevator from the Undead Church to the Firelink Shrine. It made the whole game feel like a journey, and Dark Souls 2 dropping that for linear, disconnected areas you had to teleport around really kept me from getting hooked into it.

As for character transformations, Bayonetta. Crazy abilities that are snappy, simple, and add to the game's combat and exploration in big ways. The bird that can have projectiles orbit it is so coooooool.

I LOVE Cave Story 3D, you know - the one every persona says is ugly and inferior to the original art style. I really like helping the dog people and finding them is such a reward! The gameplay can be hectic, but the platforming and discovery is so tight. Everything syncs well and making it to Hell and out, is intense and fraught with a sense of personal perseverence.

In terms of character transformation, if not Kirby Epic yarn (so cute!) - Primal Fury, because becoming a beast and fighting in separate form is just so cool and underused today!

Also never played Wonderboy, is it like Kid Chameleon?

US here btw

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
My favourite transformation was probably oblivion when I turned into a vampire. I had no idea it was a thing and it took me completely by surprise.

Then you're faced with the usual vampire dilemma- keep powers but drink blood and avoid sun or hunt down a cure and never be able to become a vampire again.

So cool!

Castlevania circle o the moon was my first full finished game. Loved the level up system and card system too. Being a portable game and the art it had made it one of the best game Ive played. And up until this day, the game still remains playable.

Very generous of you maxcriden!

I've always loved the Metroidvania genre and although Super Metroid, Cave Story and Symphony of the Night remain my favourites one game has recently stood out: Ori and the Blind Forest.

The Xbox One's exclusive library can often feel like a dark forest of uninspired games manufactured to sell a million copies but Ori is the light in that forest. Like any good game in the genre it invokes a feeling of isolation through ripping Ori from the one person who cared for him and throwing him into the dark woods.

The feeling of progression and meaningful development is stronger than the vast majority of full priced releases and the escape sequences give Super Metroid a run for it's money. Ori is not only a masterclass in game design but it shows that you don't need millions of dollars to develop a good idea. It's my personal favourite Xbox One game.

I have the vanilla version digitally on Xbox One, the Definitive Edition on PC and the retail definitive edition on Xbox One (which I imported because it didn't release in the UK), I really adore this game.

It's also an artistic marvel from both a visual and audio perspective:

Best of luck to everyone!

Syril

I've got examples for both. For Metroidvanias, I have a hard time narrowing them down to a number one favorite, but one that I thought did some really cool stuff with the whole formula was Metroid Fusion. At the time, Fusion got a fair amount of flack for its more linear structure where Samus was being given specific objectives from an AI complete with objective markers on the map. Navigation rooms were totally unavoidable and locked you in until you used the computer to get your objective, and sections of the space station were locked after you had finished your objectives there.

The cool part is how as the game goes on, everything starts to go off-script. The unstoppable SA-X is rampaging through the station and making your planned routes impassible forcing you to go through unmarked areas not on the map to find another way forward. Samus begins to suspect that the AI is keeping information from her and starts ignoring her orders in favor of exploring hidden routes and obtaining weapons before she was supposed to. The more the mission derails, the more the game opens up and starts being more like a regular Metroid, where by the end the whole station is open to re-explore for extra items just like any of the other games.

For transformations, my absolute favorite one is the cat form from Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight.
CiI6CLdW0AEPAGV.jpg
CiI6CMFWEAExN0c.jpg
CiI6CMGWEAARocE.jpg
CiI6CMpWUAEuqBp.jpg

At a certain point in Momodora, our heroine Kaho is cursed into the form of a cat. You have to play a short segment stuck like this where you discover that you can now fit through tight spaces, making it the game's Morph Ball equivalent. After you're done, you find the Cat Sphere, which you can use as an item to switch between human form and cat form as needed. The game could have left it at that and had it as a more uniquely themed version of a traversal ability, but it didn't stop there. The only restrictions in cat form are that you can't use your bow or any other items besides the Cat Sphere. You are in no way prevented from using your movement abilities or from fighting with your standard-issue (for priestesses) sacred indestructible razor sharp leaf, which has a unique set of animations for Kaho wielding it in her mouth. In fact, fighting in cat form has a couple of minor unique advantages, as you are a smaller target and don't have the recovery time from long falls that you do normally. The imagery of this adorable cat beating up actually scary looking ghosts and monsters is priceless. I pretty much spent most of the game in cat form after I got it, and it's a testament to the game's strong design that the bow and magic are absolutely not mandatory to win fights. There's also a cool effect where if you talk to someone or use a save bell in cat form, it makes an apparition of Kaho's human self appear to do the talking or praying.

Hanmik

Guacamelee was a blast on the Vita and ps3. I actually platinumed the game, which I almost never do. I am to old for these kind of games. So old that I played the original wonderboy game on my c64, when I was around 15 years old..

Damn I Feel old now..

La Mulana is a 2D metroidvania style game FROM HELL. Seriously, if you love torturing yourself over and over while trying to get through some evil trap or solve some insane puzzle that Neil Degrasse Tyson would have problems with this game is for you! Prepare to have paper and pen as you jot notes and try to decipher code. It makes Dark Souls feel like Kirby Epic Yarn.

But it has incredible levels, all sorts of great gameplay moments, incredible bosses and the best sense of satisfaction you can have in a game. It's a beautifully evil designed game.

PhatStarr

Thanks for the this OP! I have to agree with anyone that said Ori and the Blind Forest. It's such a great game. It's beautiful and challenging. From the emotional opening on I couldn't put it down until I finished it. It's a truly great game.

Metroid Prime is my favourite Metroidvania. It lived up to sky high expectations, had some of the greatest art design and music of all time, and played like a dream. Jumping that controlled well in a first person game!

My post comp-sci night classes were spent on Tallon IV.

No love for Hollow Knight? It's an excellent metroidvania everyone should check out with beautiful artwork to boot!

As far as transformations go, I'd have to go with Wishy-Washy Banjo from Banjo Kazooie.

(19 year old game but I suppose I better)
I found it hilarious that
by doing all the puzzles, the last thing you were "rewarded" with was Banjo being turned into a washing machine

ViolentP

Mountain King on the Atari 2600.

May be a stretch as a Metroidvania to some, but it introduced me to Anitra's Dance which has been with me for the better part of 3 decades. Something like that shouldn't go without its due praise.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
My favorite Metroidvania is the one that helped me keep my focused when my marriage was falling apart many years ago. I'm referring to Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.

Things had gotten pretty bad when I was home. They'd always BEEN bad, but they had gotten markedly worse in a rather short length of time. This happened to coincide with my bumping up to the point with my paid time off from work where I was about to hit the cap and stop accruing. I wasn't about to let that happen, but I couldn't stand the idea of spending all that time at home with my wife, what with all the awkwardness regarding her repeated infidelity.

So every day for two weeks she'd drop me off at work and I'd walk to the public library about a mile away and just read and play Portrait of Ruin for like 6 hours. Every night I'd walk back to work and head home and repeat the sad process. It was a decent vacation though! I got some time alone to clear my head and just enjoy my own company. It gave me a chance to regroup and collect my thoughts while fighting back the forces of darkness.

To this day I love that game because
even though it is all "In the castle"
it has such varied environments to enjoy. There's no way you're going to be bored!

Well, thanks for the opportunity to tell my silly little story. Things ended in divorce and now everyone is much happier, so there's even a happy ending!

Sagitario

My favorite Metroidvania is Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

I was not a fan of the franchise when I was a child. The whole horror/monsters/blood/etc. setting turned me off and I just couldn't play them. Tried Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance and never got too far. I didn't enjoy them at all.

I don't remember exactly why, but when Aria of Sorrow released I decided to give the franchise another opportunity (probably because the artwork and protagonist looked fantastic).

And from the moment I started playing I felt something special. Sprites and art, music, characters, setting, controls, the soul system... everything just clicked and I loved every single minute of it. It instantly became one of my favorite titles ever and thanks to it I went back to the previous games I skipped and I actually finished and enjoyed them (which led me to Symphony of the Night after searching for more experiences like this).

When the sequel got announced for DS, I was so hyped and filled with joy. I bought the game waaaaay before getting the console (the 3 CV games for DS are among my faves too).

Aria of Sorrow conduced me to Michiru Yamane, Ayami Kojima and other 2D gems and it will hold a special place in my heart because of it (something not even Super Metroid could manage).

Hugstable

Banned
Alright since eveyrone will probably cover the Metroidvania bases, I'm gonna talk about my favorite game with character transformations.

One of my favorite SNES games that I had when I was young was Illusion of Gaia made by Enix.

You start out in the game as a normal boy who has some attacks with his flutes, by as you progress you gained 2 different transformation forms that would both power you can and help you solve the puzzles within the game. The first turned him into a badass knight know as Freedan, and would gain the powers of being able to cause earthquakes, having a protective barrier and being able to shoot power out of his sword. Later on in the game you would also acquire the Shadow Transformation which would allow you to liquify yourself in order to dodge attacks, and also solve puzzles as it could be used to fall through some floors to reach areas you otherwise would never have been able to get too. And the final battle itself gives Shadow even more power when it allows him to straight up shoot birds of fire at the boss.

Illusion of Gaia was one of my favorite SNES games growing up along with Zelda, and was one of the first games I can remember playing where I was able to have my character transform into cool beings that each had their uses throughout the game.

N30RYU

My favourite Metroidvania and transformations were the ones on Kid Chamaleon

Kid_Chameleon_Coverart.png

Loooved the ninja transformastion back in the day.

Bayonetta's cat transformation is Badass! It feels super fast and a natural extension of dodging. Best of all, if you hit one of the attack buttons, you'll perform a quick slash along with the default attack right as she transforms.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks for the giveaway!

My favourite Metroidvania is... a toss-up between Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Salt & Sanctuary. SotN is just such a joy to play, even to this day, and its soundtrack is still the greatest video game OST of all time as far as I'm concerned, even 20 years later. Salt and Sanctuary has superb level design, fun and challenging combat, and mixes the Metroidvania genre with Souls-like action-RPGs in a perfect synthesis.

Favourite transformation? I really enjoyed Kain's vampire powers in the original Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. Transform into a wolf for leaping over obstacles or quick traversal, into a bat for fast-travel (genius idea!), or mist to cross grated doors or hover over watery obstacles and the likes. The integration of those transformation powers were really cool and innovative (and pre-date SotN's vampire wolf/bat/mist transformations, too!).

Someone mentioned Rei's weretiger transformation in Breath of Fire III and I agree, that was really cool. High risk/high reward gameplay and Rei's screams as he changed just gave me chills.

Fredrik

Very generous of you maxcriden!

I've always loved the Metroidvania genre and although Super Metroid, Cave Story and Symphony of the Night remain my favourites one game has recently stood out: Ori and the Blind Forest.

The Xbox One's exclusive library can often feel like a dark forest of uninspired games manufactured to sell a million copies but Ori is the light in that forest. Like any good game in the genre it invokes a feeling of isolation through ripping Ori from the one person who cared from him and throwing him into the dark woods.

The feeling of progression and meaningful development is stronger than the vast majority of full priced releases and the escape sequences give Super Metroid a run for it's money. Ori is not only a masterclass in game design but it shows that you don't need millions of dollars to develop a good idea. It's my personal favourite Xbox One game.

I have the vanilla version digitally on Xbox One, the Definitive Edition on PC and the retail definitive edition on Xbox One (which I imported because it didn't release in the UK), I really adore this game.

It's also an artistic marvel from both a visual and audio perspective:

Best of luck to everyone!
You deserve to win! Made me want to replay Ori right now. Such a lovely game. You start off as a fragile cute little thing with no future and end up wooshing about like you own the place. Loved it from the first second to the very end. Pixel perfect controls, a unique way to traverse the levels, visuals that looks like artwork, beautiful music and a story that makes you cry. Among the top 5 best games of all times imo. Can't wait for the devs next game!

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Favorite Metroidvania is a difficult choice, there's like four games that immediately come to mind. Metroid Prime, Metroid Zero Mission, Dark Souls, and Guacamelee all stick out. I guess by default I'd have to say Metroid Prime because I think it's an almost perfect game. The backtracking in the endgame artifact hunt is probably the worst part, but on subsequent playthroughs you can collect them a bit more normally because you know where they are and how to find them. It just has an amazing sense of exploration and Tallon IV just feels so fleshed out and organic. The soundtrack is really excellent and atmospheric and it adds a lot to the feeling of being on this alien planet (though admittedly my favorite song is the menu theme, which isn't really an atmospheric thing at all, but I just love how it sounds and it reflects the vibe of the game very well regardless). A plus side is that I love so many of the boss fights, in particular Meta Ridley. Thardus and the Omega Pirate are some other particular standouts, and I appreciate how some of the encounters (Flaahgra comes to mind) are more of a puzzle than a boss fight.

I also wanna talk about Guacamelee a bit, just because it's probably my favorite 2D Metroidvania. I think where it most stands out is its combat system, this sort of beat-em-up/fighting game style where you just have a ton of options and combos that you can pull off as you fight hordes of enemies. It doesn't have quite the same sense of exploration as most Metroidvania games, but the levels are still very well designed and the fighting is a ton of fun. I haven't gotten around to trying out Super Turbo Championship Edition, unfortunately... I've been meaning to, someday I'll get around to it. It also has some exceptional boss fights, and the dimension swapping mechanic is really one of its best features that adds a lot of creative ideas to the level design.

As for favorite transformation in a game... for some reason I always really liked the car in Yoshi's Island. I don't really know why, it's probably just a nostalgia thing honestly. When I first found it as a kid I just really enjoyed the sense of speed I had while racing through the level (I don't think it's even the fastest thing in the game, I think the helicopter and super baby Mario are faster). I dunno, something about it just felt satisfying to me, I liked all of the transformations in Yoshi's Island but the car just especially clicked for me.

Some other transformations that I have fond memories of... UFO Kirby in Kirby's Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland. Nowadays UFO Kirby isn't especially interesting because every power has a ton of features, but in the context of Adventure, UFO was the most radical ability Kirby had ever had access to. Super rare, four different attacks, permanent flight... the norm for Kirby at the time was that abilities would have maybe two different functions if you're lucky. UFO was just super versatile and it felt like a real reward to find and eat a UFO enemy or to luck out and get it through a mix.

Also, this is a bit of a stretch in terms of "transformation", but I liked the segment in Metal Gear Rising where you hacked into and took control of a dwarf gekko. It was a funny change of pace and the animations for the little guy were pretty charming.

Dremorak

Banned
Castlevania aria of sorrow was always my favourite "vania" game :)
I really enjoyed the story and there was quite a bit of weapon variety, IMO its on par with Symphony of the Night, and wins it by a hair for me because of the story.

In terms of transformations...I think I liked the wolf in SOTN because I'm pretty sure it was my first transformation and I had NO IDEA that mechanic was even in the game. Blew my mind at the time.

Tyeforce

That's awesome of you to do this!

I planned on buying the game anyway since it captured my interest, but my husband and I both want to play it so ideally we'd both want copies of our own, so if I could win a second copy for him that'd be nice!

Picking favorites is always hard for me since I don't really like doing that, but if I were to choose a favorite Metroid-like game, hmm... Well, as far as actual Metroid games go, Metroid: Other M is my favorite, but since it's more linear than your typical Metroid and it's pretty much a crime to speak positively of it here, I'll skip that one in favor of Metroid Fusion. First played it on my 3DS as one of the free games from the Ambassador Program, and I absolutely loved it!

However, Cave Story might come out on top for me as far as Metroid-like games go—any version of it, be it the original, WiiWare, DSiWare, Cave Story 3D, Cave Story+, whatever. I've bought them all because it's such a fantastic game.

And for transformation games... Well, if The Wonderful 101 counts, then definitely that! I've still yet to experience a game that hits the highs that The Wonderful 101 does. It's wonderfully over-the-top and just all around awesome.

kami_sama

Thank you for the giveaway!
For the answer, my favorite metroidvania would be Metroid Fusion for the GBA, the last original 2D game on the series.
The atmosphere is just great and SA-x is just scary as hell.

gunstarhero

My favorite Metroidvania game has to be Zillion for the Sega Master System.

C4agKGK.png

This was my second type of Metroidvania-type game I ever played - with the first being the original Metroid. The anime character designs were what initially drew me in because it reminded me of shows like Robotech and Voltron. Anime wasn't really a big thing back in the late 80s, so anything carrying this look and feel immediately grabbed me.

But what really sealed the deal was the game setting itself. The whole idea of exploring this underground base, with the option of locating your 2 missing friends for extra support, was really engaging. Exploring the base was amazing at the time - finding secret passageways in the hallways, encountering locked rooms you would later need to revisit, with great platforming and combat mixed in. The code deciphering element was another nice hook - requiring pages of notes for me to take.

iFMwAt4.png

And of course the music was AMAZING. On top of all that it had multiple endings and some light RPG elements to it.

One of my favorite games of all time.

As for favorite TRANSFORMATION? Come on... there can only be one answer to that question: RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.

G7sOWtv.gif

Favourite Metroidvania is probably Metroid Fusion.

Came to it after being blown away by the scale and ambition of Metroid Prime, was too young for classic Metroid. However it's the one I judge all others by. Had the exact right mix of weirdness and familiarity needed in having to backtrack from one location to another. Hit all the Metroid tropes but did so in a fresh and invigorating way.

Honourable mentions:

Shadow Complex
Salt and Sanctuary
Blaster Master

Favourite transformation mechanic has to come down to Majora's Mask. In terms of a character's personal transformation, I'd say KOTOR.

Famassu

Guacamelee is my favorite Metroidvania. The setting is so unique, I love the combat system that feels responsive and like some Bayonetta in 2d, the powers are fun, there's a lot of great level design with fun platforming challenges and the audiovisuals are remarkably good for an indie game. I've Platinumed it twice.

oatmeal

Banned
Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance

Literally the first Metroidvania I played so I had fond memories when I really didn't have much else to play st the time.

Now I just replay Super Metroid all the time.

Furo

Hollow Knight is by far the best Metroidvania in recent years and if you haven't played it I can totally recommend it!
I love the artstyle, the "soul esque" system and the a lot of new mechanics!

Thanks for the giveaway btw. :)

joker3782

Neo Member
Struggling to think of a favourite from the ones I've played but one metroidvania like game that is coming to my mind right now is Dust: an elysian tail. Had a fantastic art style, interesting characters and great gameplay. Really enjoyed that game.

As for favourite transformations I would have to go with any of the transformation masks in Majoras Mask. Its one of the things that makes that game the greatest games ever made.

Ooh, that game looks neat, and I'm always raring for a good action adventure platformer. Might very well have to grab it if I don't get givaway'd, haha.

My favorite Metroidvania is, of course, Metroid Prime. A fantastic world full of life and intrigue, excellent environmental storytelling coupled with the scanning system that I adore, and a host of powerups that are just a ton of fun to collect and use. I only wish they hadn't went out of their way to discourage some sequence breaks - being able to get the Space Jump Boots first, for instance, is a fun way to play the game a little differently when going back to it, and only benefits the overall package.

Close second goes to Axiom Verge, the best Super Metroid game ever.

OmegaFax

My favorite character transformation:

ufokirby.gif

The UFO ability is overall sort of breaks the game, particularly if you use the glitch to exit the stage in the NES version with this transformation ... but it did inspire future Kirby games in the sense a single transformation has multiple moves. In Kirby's Adventure, every other ability was relegated to a single move. This Kirby had three different distinct firing modes.

Eh, runner up is Kirby's Solid Snake transformation because the bandana and six o' clock shadow.

kirby_snake.jpg

maxcriden

Struggling to think of a favourite from the ones I've played but one metroidvania like game that is coming to my mind right now is Dust: an elysian tail. Had a fantastic art style, interesting characters and great gameplay. Really enjoyed that game.

As for favourite transformations I would have to go with any of the transformation masks in Majoras Mask. Its one of the things that makes that game the greatest games ever made.

That's a good one. Majora's I mean, I haven't played Dust but have always hoped it would come to a system I own since it looks great. (Fake edit: it's on 360? Is it forward compatible to XB1?)

Anyway, I think the transformations in Majora's Mask are genius. Not the actual horrifying moment of transmogrification itself since it is so very unsettling, but rather the backstory of the characters whose lives you inhabit as well as their culture, and most importantly to the actual gameplay, their unique play styles. I really hope the 3DS version of MM comes to Switch somehow since for me the streamlined Bomber's Notebook makes it my preferred version.

Dragoshi1

My favorite transformation has to be the Daddy T-Rex from Banjo-Tooie for sure.

In terrydactyland, the transformation is the most unique Banjo has ever had I think. You start out only being able to become the baby T-Rex, who can't attack, and needs to learn to roar to open certain tunnels and talk to certain dinos.

When you get mumbo going, you can grow wumba's wigwam to let her change you into the Daddy T-Rex, granting you invulnerability, a massive enemy killing roar, and overall being a total badass tyrannosaurus. The only knock against it is you are limited to where you can go, being huge as hell, but my kid mind was absolutely blown, since at the time, there weren't a lot of games that let you play as as Rex.

gafneo

Banned
My favorite transformation in a game was Steve from Code Veronica. It seemed for a long time that him and Claire would hit it off. That unexpected mutation gave me chills.

Kinsei

Banned
My favorite Metroidvania has got to be Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. A lot of the reasons people malign the game are actually reasons I greatly enjoy it. The dark world adds a great atmosphere to the game. Most of the bosses are quite difficult (especially compared to other Metroid games) but I feel that this adds to the sense of being on a hostile alien world. Beam ammo being limited makes you really thik about if you want to use them early on and makes you feel incredibly powerful in the endgame when you can stockpile tons of ammo and decimate everything in your way. I also love the level design. Torvus Bog and Sky Fortress are two of my favorite areas in all of video games.

One of my favorite transformations actually comes from world 3 of Yooka-Laylee. I'll put it in spoiler tags since Y-L is such a recent game and world 3 was never shown off pre-release.
World 3 is a swamp level and naturally this means that the water hurts you when you touch it. Naturally I assumed the transformation would let you go in the water like in the swamp level in B-K but I was completely surprised to find out that the transformation was actually a school of piranhas. Becoming the thing that normally keeps you out of swamp water in video games left a huge grin on my face.

Top Bottom