• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

giveaway: Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap for Nintendo Switch (US or EU)

My favorite Metroidvania is Super Metroid, with a close second being Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Both games are two of my all time favorites. Symphony is great, but Super Metroid is an amazing, fantastic video game.

Also just wanted to give a shout out to Dust: An Elysian Tail for being so damn charming and a very underrated Metroidvania. Love that game.

Duxxy3

My favorite Metroidvania game has to be Zillion for the Sega Master System.

C4agKGK.png

This was my second type of Metroidvania-type game I ever played - with the first being the original Metroid. The anime character designs were what initially drew me in because it reminded me of shows like Robotech and Voltron. Anime wasn't really a big thing back in the late 80s, so anything carrying this look and feel immediately grabbed me.

But what really sealed the deal was the game setting itself. The whole idea of exploring this underground base, with the option of locating your 2 missing friends for extra support, was really engaging. Exploring the base was amazing at the time - finding secret passageways in the hallways, encountering locked rooms you would later need to revisit, with great platforming and combat mixed in. The code deciphering element was another nice hook - requiring pages of notes for me to take.

/

And of course the music was AMAZING. On top of all that it had multiple endings and some light RPG elements to it.

One of my favorite games of all time.

As for favorite TRANSFORMATION? Come on... there can only be one answer to that question: RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.

/

A Zillion mention?!?

YAY!!!

Also...

https://youtu.be/mEsE42YRtws

maxcriden

So few have played it. Bums me out. :(

I think that will change significantly when it hits Switch. It will be at best one of very few such games on the system at that point. Heck, I don't usually play games day one but that is one I would very much like to play as soon as possible. I have a Mac and don't game on it so I'm waiting for it to drop on Switch. The stellar reviews are very hype-inspiring.

Growing up, Metroid always gave me mixed feelings. One on hand, the game was challenging and exciting in ways that few other games could claim. The aura of mystery around the main character, the multitude of paths to explore, the ease of getting lost - all of these things were very different to someone who had only really started playing games on the Xbox. Since then, not much had managed to rekindle the love/hate relationship I had with the original Metroid games.

And then Axiom Verge came out. It was a love letter to a series long laid dormant. Going back to the roots of Metroidvania, the game understood how important the relationship between environments and upgrade were. It understood the connection between excitement and challenge; enigma and curiousity; gameplay and aesthetics.

The game is instantly legible as an ode to the original Metroid, but it doesn't allow itself to be pinned by that. Axiom Verge manipulates the genre making it richer and bigger. Bosses are terrifying, Giger-esque abominations that feel just as much a part of a CAVE shmup as a Metroidvania but the exploration reminds you exactly where the game stands. Along with that, the soundtrack rolls over you bringing scents of trepidation and excitement at just the right times while also overflowing with little details and variety that give the enemies and world a richness that isn't often found in the genre.

Honestly, I don't know if Axiom Verge is my favorite Metroidvania. But it certainly reminded me of why I was drawn to the genre in the first place.

Bonus favorite transformation: Being forced to turn into a chicken by Carlos Calaca in Guacamelee only to find out it was a new gameplay mechanic was prettttty sweet.

Mknzy

My favorite transformation has to be for the main character in The Guardian Legend. You start the game in what seems to be a standard forward scrolling shoot em up, but then after you clear the first area, you find yourself in what seems like a science fiction version of Zelda. It's not until you go into your first corridor that you realize that the main character IS the ship you were flying in the first sequence, she transforms into it. It blew my mind when I first played it, and the game is still one of my five favorite games of all time.

As far as my favorite Metroidvania game, that is harder to decide. I would probably have to go with Axiom Verge. Amazing atmosphere, interesting story, well sculpted world with tons of secrets, and incredible soundtrack. There was nothing about this game that I didn't love.

hertog

Castlevania symphony of the night. Played it for the first time in my life last January. It is that damn good, it felt like a AAA indie darling.

ultrazilla

Mine would be Odallus: The Dark Call Not only a love letter to the genre but it happens to be *one of the very best* the genre offers! Do yourself a favor if you haven't played this yet, GET IT NOW! :)

http://joymasher.com/odalluspreorder/

Odallus is a NES inspired exploration game with lots of action. It brings elements of classics such as Ghosts’n Goblins, Demon’s Crest and Castlevania while subverting some modern twists. The game features:

Eight levels open to exploration
Huge bosses
Sharp controls
Rad 8-bit graphics
Thrilling atmosphere
Veteran mode (after release)
Two endings
4+ hours of gameplay
50+ types of enemies

odallus4-thumb-480x271-16016.png

hqdefault.jpg

03.gif

An amazing indie game!

Oh and thanks for a chance at winning Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap!

ramparter

Banned
Batman Arkham Asylum.

Didnt have much hope for this game, then played the demo and bought the game right away. Perfect balance between combat, exploration and story and imo the backtracking was very subtle and felt natural. Loved the gadgets and stealth taking down villains one by one. Wish the other arkham games stayed the same. Oh and the scarecrow parts were really good. Perhaps my favourite 360 game.

Thanks for doing the giveaway! Very kind of you!

I'll go with metroidvania and transformation via Megaman ZX.

It had a lot of the same metroidvania vibes I got from the Zero series without being as soulcrushingly hard.

The game uses "biometals" and the "M.E.G.A. System" to transform into various different MegaMan Zero esque suits that use different weapons, sometimes also being element based.

ZX_Promo.jpg
Team_Megamen.Jpg

(coulda made a pretty cool anime too I think)

0racle

latest

Without a doubt, Chameleon kid

This game, addition to wonder boy for the master system are the fondest gaming memories I have as a kid playing with my father. The sense of discovery and exploration brought us together as if we where two buddies, the same age playing together. Obviously for me as a kid everything is a new experience, but gaming was also new to my father as well. Together we shared the same genuine laughs, frustrations and excitement with with this game.

Here are some highlights;

-103 levels
- Killer sountrack
-10 different avatars that you transform into by finding masks throughout the level
- a varied and unpredictable warp system allowing you to traverse thought the games/levels. You could beat each level by getting to the end flag marker, or step on one of the many warp platforms you encounter. These would either warp you forward a level/levels, even back a few levels and on occasion, mere feet forward.
-zero way to save the game, no password system

It was one hardcore game even for today's standards and that is one of the reasons it was released for numerous platforms after the genesis.

Here are the transformations you could assume in the game, and each one had their own abilities and powers.

latest

Eusis

Are we including 3D games? because Dark Douls 1 may be my favorite implementation of that kind of world design. Demon's Souls was basically 5 individual little worlds while DSII onwards was either more linear or just less interconnected, and when a lot of the fun is coming back to a locked door and finding a whole new area behind it being more linear tends to deflate that, and take away some of the awe of the world.

For 2D games... probably Symphony of the Night with Super Metroid close behind. Hit at the right time and I loved all the gear and powers you could get.

And to throw it in too: transformations? Terra's Esper transformation definitely stands out along with the MC of The Guardian Legend.

EDIT: And I hesitated to mention THIS since it probably ties more into gender identity feelings, but... I do like how something like Dark Souls II let's you switch gender.

EDIT 2: And because I got my T Mobile refund today I got the game already, so if by some fluke I'm selected go ahead and pick someone else (or remove me if you can, whichever.)

NimbusD

Idk if it counts as metroidvania, I think it does... But one of my favorite games ever is knytt and knytt stories. They're flash (I think) games from nifflas. At least it's metroidvania with just exploring and no combat. Its all about atmosphere and discovery. It's really great actually just thinking about it is making me want to play it again. Man it would be great if somehow those games came to the switch.

IrishNinja

despite growing up with an SMS & playing the original Wonder Boy in the day, i missed out on III back then so Wonder Land for the Genesis was my first proper entry. i'd played Metroid at a friend's house so i got the concept, but man was it cool finding hidden doors & going back to others with new abilities. the OST & world itself was fantastic too, just a great feel to it - so glad i finally got to play IV on PSN a few years back.

you're awesome for this giveaway too, OP!

Cerium

Well I admit that the first Metroidvania that came to my mind was Dawn of Sorrow, and the first transformation I thought of was Fierce Deity Link, but since I was beaten by the third and fourth posts I decided I'd go a little more old school.

I really want to win this giveaway, after all.

latest

Stepping across the threshold into 3D gaming is something that happens once in a lifetime, and like many others, for me Mario 64 was that gateway. The discovery of Metal Mario remains one of my earliest and strongest gaming memories. The tangible weight of it, the way it influenced the physics of the character and and how he (and by proxy you) can interact with a 3D virtual space was nothing short of mindblowing in 1996.

I don't think I can emphasize enough how new this was back then. At the time everyone else was fumbling clumsily into the 3D space but here on launch day Nintendo fucking nailed it with a perfectly performing Mario who, through the flip of a switch and hitting a green block, could actually transform to feel like he was metal. This transformation was enjoyable just for its own sake, and it probably felt more badass than it really was in terms of practical power.

A big part of what made it so memorable was Koji Kondo's iconic Metal Mario theme. While much of the soundtrack was more ambient, the moment you put on the metal cap this god damn tune served notice that shit had gotten real. You weren't just Mario anymore. You were Metal Mario, and you deserved only the hottest beats.

The transformation was so good that it actually became its own character in Mario spinoffs and a Super Smash Bros. single player boss.

latest

Have I mentioned that I really want to win this giveaway?

Here, for the nostalgia.

Metal-Mario-super-mario-64-13614445-490-599.jpg

Metal Mario.

SSPssp

Lame answer but my favorite is still the original Symphony of the Night. Still love the animation and the music to this day! My favorite transformation was the bat of course!

dearodie

My recent favorite Metroid like game is "environmental station alpha" on steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/350070.
The graphics are not for everyone and it does have quite a bit of back tracking, but it is very satisfying, varied, the music is great and likely you will get stuck, which I like, and requires you to think, remember and be observant.

I just found out the dev is working on a sequel with improved graphics... And honestly what could look more enticing than "block", the turtle.
maud0kS.gif

Azriell

My favorite Metroidvania is definitely Super Metroid, but for something less obvious I suppose I would have to pick Castlevania - Circle of the Moon. Circle of the Moon tarot system was so cool that it instantly earned a special place in my heart. For anyone who doesn't know, you pair any one of 10 elemental tarot cards with any one of 10 weapon tarot cards to create unique elemental weapons. Each weapon has different properties and behaviors, and I thought it was so fun and cool to experiment with all the combinations and possibilities.

As for my favorite transformation in a game, I think i have to go with Prototype. It's not an outright transformation, but rather a progressive thing that occurs over the course of the game. I love the monster you turn in to. You're such a bad ass, and such a hideous abomination. I used to get on top of a high building and watch the innocent bystanders walk by, before gliding down and snatching one, and carrying them away to my rooftop nest to devour them. I seriously wasted hours doing this stupid thing. I don't know why, but it was so fun for me to play as a predatorial monster, preying on the weak.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I also have to go with the obvious and boring choice. As much as I would love to tell you about some unknown gem nobody has ever heard of, Super Metroid just takes the cake for me.

I played Super Metroid at an age where I really shouldn't have played it. The game was big, scary (yes, scary), big, hard and big. I still remember being TERRIFIED after the first "boss fight" with Ridley. And then suddenly a timer started and it was just way too much for me. I put (or rather threw) the controller on the ground and ran away, leaving Samus to a certain death. I was a pretty big chicken as a kid, so the fact that I picked the game up again is almost a miracle. But as much as it scared me it was also intriguing at the same time, especially the OST. So I just sat around in the first tunnel, listening to the score for hours before I tried the whole thing again.
Super Metroid for me was an almost impossible task but I just refused to give up. I think even if the "You only get one game every 6 months" thing hadn't applied to me back then I would have continued. The whole world felt so mysterious to me, it was basically my introduction into Sci-Fi.
Also this was at a time where I had no idea what games can and cannot do which kept the game mysterious. I wouldn't have been too surprised if there was a lost city you could find, or if you could fly to a different planet or befriend enemies or suddenly ride Ridley through a black hole into our world. I think I must have shot at every single wall at least once, cause in my mind that black hole could have been behind each and every one. Sometimes I was sure there were puzzles in a room, because of some part of the architecture and I spent HOURS trying to "solve" them. And very, very rarely I actually found an missile tank and I don't think I ever felt that proud before.
I actually haven't replayed Super Metroid since then because the few times I tried to do so, it kinda felt like ruining that experience.

So yeah, Super Metroid is a fantastic game. I also don't think I ever was that scared of a game ever again. Having never experienced anything like it before, it just blew my mind.
Oh, have I mentioned I only got the game because my mom bought the wrong one? I'm pretty sure I told her to get "Super Mario" and since she had no idea that 99% of the SNES' library started with "Super" she just assumed I must have made a mistake.

suikodan

Thanks for the giveaway.

One of my favorite transformation was Amagon. I loved how the puny, 1-hit guy could transform into a muscle head with the entertaining music that played along.

I was on a trip that year (1990?) and had time to lose so I imagined a game that mixed Amagon with Zelda 2.

250px-Amagon_Cover.png

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I've always had a soft spot for the walrus transformation in Banjo-Kazooie. You didn't get any abilities really aside from being able to swim in icy water, but I just like how endearingly dumb you look and the bouncy noise you make when you walk. https://youtu.be/eSUqMu20ilM?t=124 just very charming.

tumblr_mn343oNsX71ru09vqo5_r1_500.gif

BigBusiness

Neo Member
I'm gonna have to go with Ori and the Blind Forest for sure. I honestly think the game went above and beyond any of my wildest expectations for a game in the genre, and ended up being as good as, if not better, than the classics in the genre. For those who haven't played it, I urge you to pick it up on Steam or Xbox!

Anastasis

As a kid, Final Fantasy II (aka IV) blew my mind. Cecil's transformation, the battle that brought about that transformation, I had no idea that games could do what that game did at the time. It's still one of my favorite moments in gaming decades later.

Quake 4's campaign may as well be defined by the horrific Strogg transformation scene. It's ultimately a pretty mediocre game (especially by id FPS standards), but it's still an incredibly memorable experience. It all plays out in real time, and you're forced to watch every part of the gruesome process. There's a real sense of dread to each moment; blood stains the walls along every step of the process, and you can see another captive just ahead of you go through the mutilation that awaits. It's a surprisingly well-crafted cutscene, considering that the series has never been known for cinematic story beats.

As you might expect, the game takes on a slightly different complexion after the transformation. There are narrative implications, of course, but what makes this my favorite transformation in a game is how it actually permanently impacts the gameplay. There are nice little touches like being able to read the previously illegible Strogg language and the HUD having a totally different style, but more importantly, you have 25% more health and can move much more swiftly. This might not sound like much, but after 3 or 4 hours of the slowest burn in the whole Quake series, it's a godsend. Your improved mobility and defense means combat takes a significant step up, as the game decides to take the kid gloves off and finally give you a decent amount of enemies to fight. It never reaches the highs of the original campaigns, but after becoming a Strogg, the pace of the combat begins to feel less like a Quake-themed Doom 3 mod and more like an honest-to-God Quake game. As a singular moment, the Stroggification is shocking and grisly, but the lasting, positive impact it has on the entire campaign is what elevates it.

I don't have a Switch.

gappvembe

MAGICIANS & LOOTERS
You switch between 3 different people so not a transformation perse.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/284180/

While not my favorite (SOTN), it is the best $1 I spent on XBLA. Now it's like $10 for whatever reason... but whatever.

The most memorable part for me was the audio track. The enemies quote "Slicey Slicey". I joined the sub-reddit and asked the devs and they sent me the audio for the whole game.

I even got stuck. It was odd because this game is so under the radar, nothing was out there. Felt good and refreshing to have power through it without help.

Pastry

Banned
I think Guacamelee is one that particularly resonated with me. I'm Mexican-American and it's pretty rare that I feel represented in a game other than the occasional side character with a Hispanic last name. There are probably several Metroidvanias overall that I think are better but it's pretty rare to feel represented in video games when you're a POC.

Piscus

MAX, BABY!!!!!
I love when you do these things. It's good to have you back!!

I really stretched my brain trying to think of a unique answer for this one. So many good answers already! In an effort to introduce something new, I decided to go WAY back - 23 years back, exactly, to an age where there was no internet and I couldn't just buy whatever I wanted and the monthly game rental was the most anticipated aspect of my life. Back in those days, video games had entered an exciting era of 16-bit graphics, and I couldn't wait to try out everything I could jam into my
dad's
Super Nintendo system. Games with transformation elements, especially, filled my mind with wonder and awe, regardless of whether it granted new abilities (like Mario soaring in a cape) or was merely a color swap (like Link trading his green tunic for a blue one). During a rare sleepover at my grandmother's house, we happened upon a Blockbuster video, and for reasons unknown, I decided to pick up this little gem by an unknown company called Atlas USA:

Super_Widget_cover.jpg

I'd never heard of Widget. I didn't know where he was from or what he did. In retrospect, I'm pretty sure the game wasn't even that great. But as a child, that game was incredible to me! Widget wasn't just a punchy, platforming purple alien. Widget was a boss! By gathering certain collectibles, he could transform into all sorts of crazy creatures, each with their own special abilities! We're talking:

Bird creature!

Bee creature!

Tentacled creature!

Centaur knight!

Alien alien!

Every transformation was new and exciting
(and probably pointless, haha)
! I couldn't wait to see what the next level held! He even turned into a Sonic-like character whenever you got the invincibility coin!

I still remember beating the game, even now, and being so excited for the airplane-like creature Widget turned into. I mean, he could fly in that form!! There was such a charm to this game, and that charm left quite an impression on me. If you have a pure-minded 8 year old and a working Super Nintendo system, I recommend finding this game. Find it and watch that child discover the wonders of Super Widget. You won't regret it!

Biske

Going to have to go with Wario Land 3.

One of my favorite games ever. A true gem. It's a real pitty we havent gotten more of these.

nynt9

Not a full on metroidvania, but a transformation in a sense. I'll take a play on the concept. Here's my favorite transformation in a game:

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2.

header.jpg

The thing is, in this game, you don't transform. The entire world transforms around you. You can shift between the spectral realm and the real world, being half-dead. The thing is, you can do this everywhere in the game, which means the devs effectively made two entire game worlds. The spectral realm usually helps you platform around and has creepy enemies, whereas the real world has more normal enemies. When you die, you're automatically dumped into the spectral realm and you must recover souls to re-materialize. You can also pass through doors in the spectral realm.

Here's some gameplay to demonstrate the mechanic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY0ENJAQ7NA

The game also has metroidvania elements in that you time travel a lot throughout the story, and you will latern return to previous areas with new abilities that will let you open previously closed areas.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I am changing my entry and saying Rise of the Dragon. While only being a point and click game, the premise enticed me. A drug is let loose on the streets that turns people into reptilian monsters? The scenes that showed people transforming really gripped me as a teen, and created an atmosphere that was part horror and part sci-fi. The only game i know of that had a villain drug lord also be a dragon god...or something.

When you said transformation, this is the first game that came to my mind for some macabre reason. Those scenes really stuck in my mind.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
One of my favorite games is Clive Barker's Undying. Visually it was incredible for the time. It was an Unreal Engine 1 powered game that actually had characters with individual fingers, instead of mitten hands, and facial animation! But one thing that really impressed me, was a particular scene where a character morphed into a hulking, monstrous version of themselves, that was fully rendered in engine. Many games, even now, cheap their way out of showing character transformations by hiding them behind a flash or light, or some other visual effect, so that they could simply swap the models. Not Undying, here you saw the character in question swell and contort as his body changed shape, no sparkly obfuscating effects in the way.

Scene in question:
https://youtu.be/AdaUdEonmtw?t=99

Rurunaki

Wonderbooooooooooy.. tell me the secret of your powers.. Favorite metroidvania hmm.. does Kirby count? If so then Kirby and the godlike Wheel transformation.

Well I am going to do both, first my favorite Metroidvania has to be Castlevania SOTN (yes I know it's a cop out). BUT I will say my favorite transformation hands down has got to be this transformation right here from Breath of Fire 3.

WdxXnP8.jpg

Ryu's Warrior/Myrmidon form from Breath of Fire 3, just something about this transformation be it the super fast punch that it has for it's attacks or the Aura breath it was just something about that transformation made me fall in love with it. To tell the truth I have always loved the Breath of Fire series for it's dragon transformations and I hope we get another real entry into the series someday.

Meier

If we only consider non Metroid games, my favorite far and away is Shadow Complex. One of my absolute favorite games last gen -- adored it! Fantastic progression, great story and certainly very impressive graphics at the time.

Thanks, Max!

As much as I loved Ori, it doesnt come close to capturing the magic of SOTN for me. I think the trial and error escape segments just barely stop it from reaching those heights.

SOTN just holds . It's great finding new equipment, the music is second to none, the bosses are intimidating yet satisdying to beat, has a great opening and a great twist mid way.

Instro

There have been many great ones over the years, but for me it will always be Super Metroid. It's still set apart all these years later for how incredibly well designed it is, but it also has a lot of uniqueness to it that hasn't really been tried since. In particular the jumping physics are pretty much non-existent elsewhere in the genre. It's floaty, but you have complete control of the character at all times, which makes for a really nice feeling to moving around the environments because you have such a degree of control in the air. Of course that's what also opens up a lot of the sequence breaking that is possible in this game, which again is still something that is sort of ignored in the genre. I know the game by the back of my hand, and I love coming back to it at least once a year. Tons of memories with that game as a kid, and throughout my life.

For something different on the transformation side, I'm going to go with Frog from Chrono Trigger.
VYzPIJ5.jpg

Obviously it's not something player controlled, but the scene itself has so much impact. You watch this montage of Glenn/Frog and Cyrus adventuring together as best friends, fighting monsters, gaining the Hero's Badge, etc., only to finally come up against Magus and get wiped out. The music, and visual direction is fantastic. His transformation, and the death of Cyrus, drive his character and actions throughout the game. It's a particularly nice touch that the player is later given the option to fight Magus 1 on 1 later in the game, which also affects how Frog/Glenn appears in the ending.

Gleethor

Yooka-Laylee world 3 spoilers:
my fav transformation in the game, the school of piranha. I love how most of the fish are green like Yooka but a few are purple like Laylee, and I love shredded the underwater enemies to bits.

Kept an eye on it one ever since its reveal, but I was taken aback over just how good this one turned out to the point of becoming my genre favorite. More than the majority of other of its modern-day peers in the genre, Hollow Knight nails the essence of what makes a Metroidvania stand out. Recent-ish games like Ori & The Blind Forest, Guacamelee, Headlander, Outland or Momodora are far removed from being bad games and even excel in different areas Hollow Knight does not primarily focus on, but to me they've always resembled pseudo-action platformers rather than an iteration of a gameplay model that innately instils wanderlust, a notion attributed to their hackneyed handholding habits which subsequently remove a gratifying sense of exploration.

Hollow Knight, much like Breath of the Wild shortly before it released, understood the principle importance of leaving players to their own devices. You're dropped into a massive, interconnected and densely packed world to explore by your own choosing - one finely crafted to potentially allow for wildly differing routes between multiple players - and it does not coddle you in the process. By the developer's own admission, Hallownest is a playground where 60% of its content is entirely optional and this in a game where the map system deliberately leaves out information you'd otherwise find in a Metroidvania, like pinpointing your current location... or even initially showing the next portion of the map. What could easily be perceived as a genuine flaw works here, because the lack thereof is substituted by ample landmarks on the map itself as well as sufficient in-game signposting (sometimes literally) as you're gallivanting about. It is not an adventure devoid of guidance, especially if you want a nudge in the right direction to continue treading the main path, but you either have to specifically seek these other means out via the correct NPC's or through other optional methods (which require a minor balancing act) without it being forced down your throat. It's a withdrawn trek if the player wants it to be and Hollow Knight's kingdom of Hallownest is very much built to respectfully keep this sort of immersive, borderline isolated experience in mind.

banner_pics_0003_3.jpg

banner_pics_0002_4.jpg

What made traversing through Hallownest such a joy for me, is how rewarding it is to meander off to the wayside. Hollow Knight does not fall for common trappings that are almost ubiquitous (to a fault) to the genre by now; unlike even the classics such as Super Metroid, side-collectibles do not largely consist out of generic health / mana / ammo upgrades for starters. In fact, those are surprisingly kept to a minimum! Instead you meet new charismatic faces who could prove valuable, new objectives or events that adequately encourage revisits, new tools which could help create a specialized build due to a Materia-lite sort of system, sighting one of the 130+ enemy types tied to a contextually appropriate bestiary and more. Benches, known as the de facto save points, are also relatively scarce without feeling too rare in number. Significant shortcuts are fairly prominent as well; fast travel stations need to be earned and there exist a healthy number of wrap-arounds that tightly weave together large chunks of the overarching layout so that areas don't feel disposable in the long run. Most of these elements, but especially the latter two, are a stark contrast to how most of the aforementioned modern-day Metroidvanias handled their mechanical or structural vision. It's quite frankly refreshing!

To top it all off: the setting just feels wholly cohesive. The presentation is already top notch in between the outstanding soundtrack + audio design, the cutesy yet somber hand-drawn aesthetic, the slick interface and a puzzle-like narrative that isn't excessively opaque, but what really drives this point home is Hollow Knight's attention to detail. Oft negligible yet frequently employed for the sake of believability or visible culture, these touches (be it on your character or elsewhere) demonstrate the craftsmanship put into this game down to even miniscule elements you wouldn't think twice about anymore by today's standards. I mean, shit; trivial as it may be, there's even a plausible explanation as to why coins automatically gravitate towards you should you have the corresponding perk equipped:

geobugs_smalltvkf9.gif

Given the meager crowdfunded budget the bite-sized development team asked for, their debut title is nothing short of a legitimately impressive accomplishment.

javadoze

My favorite Metroidvania probably has to be Castlevania Aria of Sorrow.

Not only is it great as one, but it did some neat things for a Castlevania game following Circle of Moon and Harmony of Dissonance. The story set in the future and the new cast of characters all did it a favor to set it apart. Not to mention the soul system is pretty good in its own right (perhaps my favorite subweapon gimmick of a Metroidvania title).

Darkrider

Personally, I enjoyed Shadow Complex quite a bit. It came out at a good time in the 360's life cycle where independent games were still relatively scarce. I remember playing through it in two or three sittings and being blown away.

Wonderful game, I should go play through it again...

atbigelow

My favorite transformation has always been the main character from Guardian Legend turning into and from a ship. When I was a kid watching that, I was absolutely entranced with it. I was terrible at the game, but always kept playing the first 30 minutes because I was so enamored.

I kept trying to recreate the character with my Legos, pausing the game to try and discern more details. Tried and tried to even make it transform, but couldn't figure it out.

Azubah

I'll always love Super Metroid. The music and atmosphere always draws me in and I seem to always find something new with each new play through.

As for transformations, turning into that fire dude in Illusion of Gaia was rad as hell. You turn into from a badass with a flute into ghost rider.

Very generous of you. The game looks very interesting so I'll definitely be entering.

My favourite metroidvania game is probably Shadow Complex on the 360. Shame we never got a sequel.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I always loved the Michael Jackson transformation in Moonwalker on the Genesis, it is so janky it bad. Game was great and still puts a smile on my face to this day.

vsJyQt8.gif

My favorite Metroidvania has to be Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. While I like the earlier 2 and the most recent one, Pirate's Curse is the one that hit the sweet spot the most. Amazing pixel art, one of the best soundtracks out there and super fun upgrades make it for a great portable title. Funny enough, this is like the only Shantae game without transformations, which I also love, but it does make the game very action-oriented and faster to not have them. It's honestly very engaging with just the right amount of shortness, it really tells that Wayforward knows exactly what they're doing.

(I already have The Dragon's Trap on Switch, but I like these threads so I always try to contribute)

My favourite transformation is Wizkid on Amiga/Atari ST (also PC). You have to grind breakout-style levels where the blocks have gravity and the player acts as the ball with special powers. Once you've collected enough musical notes you then transform by gaining a body and then spend any coins you've collected to buy items that help you solve puzzles in platform levels on your way through a surreal adventure. They even throw in some mini-games, too. Phew.

More info:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/wizkid-the-story-of-wizball-ii
http://hol.abime.net/1744/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizkid_(video_game)

Here's a full review I wrote some (5!) years ago:
http://dreampast.tumblr.com/post/7882526864/wizkid

Here's a full playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9A3F29BDCF2E48AF

nLIBXdi.png

A review I wrote some years ago:
gingerbeardman said:
Title: Wizkid: The Story of Wizball II
Year: 1992
Developer: Sensible Software
Publisher: Ocean
Platform: Atari ST, Amiga, PC

The greatest video game ever sold?

Wizkid was born in a time when British video game developers ruled the world. That such a time existed may seem strange today, as developers from Japan and the USA roll out one blockbuster game after another whilst British development companies quietly wonder where it all went wrong. Back in the early 90s a video game could be made by a small team of individuals rather than a team of hundreds - it was a much simpler time. To put things into perspective, at the time Wizkid was released the home computer scene was in decline and video game consoles such as the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and Sega Mega Drive were invading UK homes.

A product of bedroom-based development house Sensible Software during the peak of their creative output, Wizkid was an ode to everything British. It was Monty Python, seaside arcades, Fawlty Towers, tabloid newspapers, The Young Ones, punk rock, Viz and so much more – all wrapped up in a game that can only be described as, well, completely bonkers. It was fun, but perhaps more importantly it was funny. My initial play session left me bewildered, but as I settled into the weirdness it dawned on me that I was witnessing the most wonderful game I’d ever seen.

At this point in time Sensible Software were a household name, an established company and burgeoning brand who were coming off the back of a string of considerable successes. Most recently they had scored a hit with Mega-lo-Mania and were deep into the development of Sensible Soccer, the game that would turn out to be their magnum opus. Wizkid may seem like an unlikely stop gap, not helped by the fact there are only a tenuous link to Wizball - the older game by the company mentioned in the subtitle. You’d be right to wonder how such a crazy concept was sold to the executives at Ocean, but back then it was quite common for a publisher to sign a developer on the strength of their previous games with nothing but blind faith - or perhaps just trust - in their capability to deliver. A lot like the music industry works - the record company or publisher sign an artist to make an album before they ever hear it. Jon Hare – one half of the original Sensible Software team – has described Wizkid as a game that shows the height of the team’s collective expression and imagination, a game that was undiluted by the publisher and showed just how much they were capable of achieving. The result is a game so quirky it feels almost Japanese in its execution.

Right from the off you’re in no doubt that the game is a little bit left of centre, as you witness Wizkid conduct a pair of cannon to an excerpt from Tchaikovsky’s “1812 Overture”. You can’t help but raise a smile - perhaps as a reaction to the confusion that’s slowly setting in, or maybe just because the act of conduction a pair of cannon looks so damned fun - in much the same way as the parade scene in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. The game combines two decidedly old-school concepts: block-breaking and the adventure game. You play an odd variation of Breakout, where instead of a paddle you control a disembodied head whose job is to dislodge blocks so they collide with enemies. Success results in the appearance of a musical note, of which there’s a whole tune’s worth to collect. Once you complete the melody the game switches into adventure mode, where you gain control of the fully formed Wizkid and can walk him around a series of platform-based adventure screens, collecting items and solving a series of obtuse puzzles. Between these two forms of gameplay, you’ll collect a bunch of cats, solve some crosswords, buy some useful and not-so-useful items from a shop, row a boat, ride a donkey and much more besides. If ever there was a case where a game was more than the sum of its parts this is it. The game is unforgiving at times and if you’re not careful you’ll do well enough get to the end, but not well enough to see the “real” ending. You’re unlikely to see everything the game has to offer in your first play-through so there’s a chance to discover more in subsequent replays. If you’re not going to be able to play it, make sure you at least watch the play-through videos linked below.

Could a game like Wizkid be successful today? It’s hard to say, but it would have its work cut out. The types of games it’s comprised of have long since fallen out of favour. Publishers don’t take risks any more, preferring to instead push out identikit games that cater the latest trend. On the other hand, there does still seem to be occasional room for off-the-wall presentation and humour in a game, as shown by the likes of Peggle and Tomba! - a combination of which would be a pretty good match to the madness of the world of Wizkid.

Whilst it’s not my favourite game, or even anywhere near what you might consider to be a perfect game, the sheer scope and ambition seen in Wizkid means it’s my choice as the greatest game ever sold.

(That’s not to say it’s the end of this blog, though!)

dvXGJxe.png
SoPQd0m.png
gJIJmn8.png
53Q0AR1.png
5nJnZgk.png
zoPtsmc.png
Hefyd3n.png
edtXyuY.png
RdAkpLZ.png

KeRaSh

I'd have to say it's Guacamelee for me. It's the first one I've actually completed and boy did it feel good to overcome some of the more difficult jumping puzzles.
The art style and music is amazing and I even enjoyed the little meme references.

Top Bottom