• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Given their history, why doesn't NetherRealm Studios make a horror fighting game?

Metallix87

Seeing as Freddy Krueger appeared in Mortal Kombat 9, and now Jason Voorhees and the Predator are appearing in Mortal Kombat X, it dawned on me that maybe the studio's next non-Mortal Kombat fighting game should be based entirely on iconic horror film characters.

Picture this roster:

- Freddy Krueger (A Nightmare on Elm Street)
- Jason Voorhees (Friday the 13th)
- Predator (Predator)
- Xenomorph (Alien)
- Michael Myers (Halloween)
- Leatherface (The Texas Chain Saw Massacre)
- Ash Williams (The Evil Dead)
- The Creeper (Jeepers Creepers)
- Candyman (Candyman)
- Chucky (Child's Play)
- Pinhead (Hellraiser)
- Count Dracula (Dracula)
- Frankenstein's Monster (Frankenstein)
- The Wolf Man (The Wolf Man)
- Gill-Man (The Creature from the Black Lagoon)

And that's just off the top of my head. I think this concept would lend itself well to the style of games they make, as well as playing on what clearly interests the studio and their fan base.

Thoughts?

Chindogg

Licensing's a nightmare.

For The Cabin in The Woods, they wanted to add as many horror cameos as possible for the third act. However licensing was so complicated that they decided to just can the idea altogether.

AlexBasch

If licensing is a problem, at least they have some horror characters locked down. Might as well get creative and build the rest in a different vibe than MK.

That said, Terrordrome is an amazing fan game. I love the round naming conventions of "returns" and "revenge", IIRC.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'd love to see this. Always wanted a horror fighting game. Add in a lengthy story mode that plays like a fan's wetdream, and all will be good in the world. So much potential there.

Licensing's a nightmare.

For The Cabin in The Woods, they wanted to add as many horror cameos as possible for the third act. However licensing was so complicated that they decided to just can the idea altogether.

I never knew this. It's a really cool concept. Would have been fantastic if they managed it.

Top Bottom