• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glowing spots around the edge of a laptop screen... what are they?

sazzy

(not my laptop pictured below)

NJykgW.png

Look at the bottom edge of the screen. There are at least 4 glowing spots on the bottom edge.

The picture is from a youtube video, but I have the exact same problem on my laptop, and a friend of mine has the same issue.

The weirdest part is that the glow disappears if you change your vertical viewing angle.

Is there a way to fix this?

kinggroin

Banned
That's what's lighting your display.

You may see more or less of those lights (and their light bleed) depending on the quality of the panel build.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Just lightbleed from the backlight of your monitor, nothing to worry about, but from a cosmetic perspective it can be annoying. My monitor does that too. Just one of those inherent issues with backlit LCDs

cireza

Have it too. Bad build quality.

You can see more of them if you push the plastic on the bottom of the screen.

Ecto311

Just got a lenovo laptop with this shit going on. Searched and found this recent thread. Just got the thing from officemax. Worth swapping? Any long term issues? Mine is a bit worse than this and shows up in light colors along with dark. Super distracting but being my second laptop swap (first one had a right click that felt like mashing a crunchy part of plastic) now this has light bleeding all over.

Just got a lenovo laptop with this shit going on. Searched and found this recent thread. Just got the thing from officemax. Worth swapping? Any long term issues? Mine is a bit worse than this and shows up in light colors along with dark. Super distracting but being my second laptop swap (first one had a right click that felt like mashing a crunchy part of plastic) now this has light bleeding all over.

If it's really distracting and bad, might as well swap it out while you can. I personally can't stand it and have returned many screens over it myself.

If you feel comfortable returning an item multiple times, you could just keep swapping them out until one is satisfactory. Build quality varies, so you could get a better one or an even worse one, but I'd imagine if it's really bad compared to your first one it might be a fluke.

I had a similar bleeding problem with an led tv a few years ago, and I returned the model twice before becoming too "embarrassed" to continue. Each model had the same issue, all in different spots around the edge of the display. Some products just have this shit going on with their whole production cycle.

My older laptop had light bleed, but it was insignificant when I lowered the brightness. Just learned to live with it.

anddo0

Be happy they don't have a yellowish tint like the ones on my laptop screen...

It's correctable in some cases. My Sager laptop had this issue. I took a credit card and ran it underneath the bezel and the yellow tint is pretty much gone. In many cases all you need to do is resit the bezel, sometimes it's too clamped.

Top Bottom