• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God! Nolan's Dark Knight Rises is such a terrible movie!

While not the best superhero movie or a great movie to end the dark knight trilogy, it is still by far the best super hero trilogy we have seen.

samn

If Nolan wants to put 'ideas' and 'big themes' into a superhero movie then fine but it can't be overlooked when they turn out to be conservative propaganda.

Also the third act is ripped straight out of the final episodes of 24 season two.

Yeah not like there was a scene where Alfred explains he goes on holiday there every year and goes to that specific cafe every Friday evening hoping to see Bruce. Totally just happened to be there!

Alfred said he went there during Bruce's time away before Begins not that he goes every year, and he went on "Any fine Friday evening" (whatever that means) not every Friday. He doesn't even specify which cafe it is or time so presumably Bruce and Selina sat there for hours waiting.

The whole thing is really a stretch.

With the Dark Knight's "hey, the Patriot Act is necessary to save lives" thing and TDKR framing Occupy Wall St as the bad guys, Chris Nolan has some weird-ass politics.

I mean...is it really about politics though in a Batman movie?

I personally love this movie. TDKR>Begins>TDK

Love ALL of them.

reckless

Alfred said he went there during Bruce's time away before Begins not that he goes every year, and he went on "Any fine Friday evening" (whatever that means) not every Friday. He doesn't even specify which cafe it is or time so presumably Bruce and Selina sat there for hours waiting.

Goes there when Bruce is gone. He's gone at the end of TDKR.

And plenty of information for a movie. Saying an address or date or time is something like no movies do since it's a waste of the audiences time.

And this is a batman movie saying that's a stretch is hilarious.

Goes there when Bruce is gone. He's gone at the end of TDKR.

And plenty of information for a movie. Saying an address or date or time is something like no movies do since it's a waste of the audiences time.

And this is a batman movie saying that's a stretch is hilarious.

Hey I'll meet you at that cafe in Florence on Friday evening. See you there.

reckless

Hey I'll meet you at that cafe in Florence on Friday evening. See you there.
Hope you complain about pretty much every movie and tv show ever then since they all do similar things.

Yeah let's stretch out an already long movie to add some pointless dialogue.

Social

Tried watching Begins, bored me to tears and I was rolling my eyes at Katie Holmes.

Watched The Dark Knight in the cinema when it was released and I couldn't believe the bullshit I was seeing in that one, even though Ledger did an awesome Joker.

Haven't seen that third one though.

ascii42

Hope you complain about pretty much every movie and tv show ever then since they all do similar things.

Yeah let's stretch out an already long movie to add some pointless dialogue.

"And they didn't even say goodbye before hanging up the phone!"

WatTsu

There are great parts in it but it's all over the place thematically and politically to a degree that still bugs me. It felt very much like a reply to the Occupy Wall Street protests that were contemporary around its release but I don't think it was a particularly good reply.

That said, I liked Bane a lot. Not my ideal version of the character but Hardy's take was very entertaining (and it's fun to talk like him).
That said I still hated how he was ultimately Talia's lackey. Bane is nobody's henchman, and I was annoyed that they ultimately made the same mistake Batman and Robin did but more artfully.

jmood88

Rises was one of the most disappointing experiences I've had in a theater and it was so bad that I actually took notes on the problems I had before I went home, just so that I wouldn't forget them.

mrkgoo

That's basically the idea. The idea of Bruce Wayne being a superhero should be about as outlandish as hearing that Charlie Sheen spends his nights fighting crime.

It is one of those 'obvious outside of the universe things', like the fact that people wouldn't expect Superman to have a secret identity seeing as he seems to be everywhere all the time.

This is true (I don't like dark knight rises). The disguise isn't just about appearance but personality. Clark kents glasses are probably the least aspect of his disguise.

DOWN

Banned
I found it to be the most truly comic book of the three and that’s no compliment. Ridiculous secret ninja prison, a burly thug group to fight, CGI sunrises and snow everywhere, the city somehow allowing a private nuclear project be under the city center, Bruce somehow magically regrowing cartilage,and somehow every single cop being sent into that tunnel?

What the fuck that is so bad and comic book cheesy

Neith

Banned
I liked parts of it. Catwoman was okay, but Burton's Catwoman is SO MUCH BETTER in every way.

In fact, Batman Returns is tied for me as the best Batman there is. Probably with Dark Knight or Begins depending on my mood.

No. I'd rank it above Suicide Squad but below Man of Steel and BvS. It's way way below WW.

EHHH IDK. I would rank it above all of those and I don't particularly like it.

Flawed but was still a great movie, he's a very consistent director. You have to really dig deep into his movies to get detailed criticisms where most other Hollywood films you can a level them one a surface level and then dig really deep. The ones I wasn't too fond of was Interstellar and the Prestige. Though Interstellar grew on me but that was because of that amazing soundtrack and cinematography.

That being said the Dark Knight Rises does have a lot of glaring plot holes and pacing issues, and jumps in the narratives where I totally get where people can't get pass because they are very noticeable.

ZeroX03

Banned
I can't with GAF's ridiculous hatred of this movie

Critical and commercial success that put it in the top tier of superhero movies, but let's completely misuse the word terrible

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It's by far the worst film in the trilogy. It was such a letdown compared to the first two films. The acting is all over the place, it gets really goofy when it shouldn't be. Talia's death and WHERRRRE'S THE TRIGGGGEERRRRRR really stick out in this regard. Bale's Batman voice was pretty goofy at times in the first two films, but the latter scene takes the cake in terms of how awful his voice is.

I still think that it's an alright film overall, though, it's just disappointing compared to what came before.

jett

D-Member
The last time I tried to rewatch it I gave up after an hour.

It's just so fucking boring. TDKR is Nolan's worst movie, no doubt.

cyba89

This is a whole new level of nitpicking.

It's the worst Nolan Batman movie, but it is still 1000000x better than any DC movies since.

The movie feels lazy. The city of Gotham is a character in the 3rd act yet is basically Manhattan. Really?

At least make look like the 1st nolan movie.

Can't hold a candle to Burton's Moody Gotham city which is still the standard.

It was average at best. I had to watch it 3 times on theaters because I was dating a Nolan fan when it came out. Thank god we broke up and I don't have to see any fucking Chris Nolan film ever again in my life.

TACPhilly

Banned
This is the main thing I felt throughout the movie. Ledger affected so much :(

yeah it felt like all the right ideas were there but they had to make up for such a huge missing piece and came up with a lot of stuff that was sort of just... whatever. but yeah, joker wouldve been absolutely amazing in this scenario, tota anarchy etc had occured and it would have been glorious. i still think they shouldve grew a pair recasted him for sake of the story.

TACPhilly

Banned
It was average at best. I had to watch it 3 times on theaters because I was dating a Nolan fan when it came out. Thank god we broke up and I don't have to see any fucking Chris Nolan film ever again in my life.

wait, WTF? hed made a lot of different movies... not a single one is good to you?! youre seriously never going to watch Dunkirk?

Davide

One thing that really takes me out of the movie for this and Iron Man 3 is having a fake president of the United States.

Snaku

Banned
"I missed the point of the movie!"

I too found myself clamoring for needless exposition about Harry Styles' girl back home and his postwar plans.

Naw, I got it. Just didn't give a shit about any of them. Closest I got to any of the characters was mildly pained expression boat captain.

TDKR is Nolan's worst movie, no doubt.

I think I agree. And I wouldn't watch it now unless I was on a Dark Knight trilogy rewatch. But that being said, I don't hate it and think it has some good moments. And I was absolutely smitten the first time I saw it in theaters. Of course back then I was younger and the hype alone probably would've made me love it even if it was complete shit.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sooo many montages/exposition. Too much in terms of suspension of disbelief. Cheap shitty cgi football stadium with a guy outrunning explosion, vs. awesome practical effects blowing up an actual hospital in tdk. Cotillards death. Bruce magically fixing his destroyed spine over and over. Batman finding time to setup the pyrotechnics on the bridge while people die. Batman walking in on the ice that's too thin to support people. Batman getting chased from every angle perfectly into an alley where his massive vehicle is magically hidden perfectly without anybody ever finding it. Bane's death. So on and so on. I haven't seen it in quite some time now, but there was a ton about this movie that wasn't good.

Didn't the joker die at the end of TdK?

I seem to recall a bit in the novelization of Rises where despite most criminals being sent to Blackgate, the Joker was still kept in Arkham Asylum. And even Bane was apparently not crazy enough to let him out.

They keep it pretty vague whether or not he escaped, and I don't blame them for keeping his whereabouts secret for the sake of mystery.

Azoor

The movie has 3 plot twists and only one of them works, the one that works is
that Batman lives in the end
, here are the two the don't work

Robin: What was the point of that reveal other than being a nod to the fans? It serves nothing in the context of the plot.

Talia: Again, this reveal doesn't really change the plot in any meaningful way, she could have been anyone and the story wouldn't change.

The Dark Knight is his best film, and Ledger is why.

edit: I edited out "hack", but it's darn near the truth. The Prestige and Dark Knight are good movies, but after the disappointment of TDKR and Interstellar I started having doubts about his elite status. Begins is nowhere near as good as people say it is.

The thematic angle of his "rise" is so laughably bad in how It's handled I dont think it needs to be said.
What's curious is that David Goyer essentially recycled his own material. Or at least material he worked on.

Lest we forget that the Goyer-penned Call of Duty: Black Ops featured Reznov (Gary Oldman) and Mason (That guy from Avatar) escaping from a Russian gulag, with the crowd shouting, "Ascend from darkness!" Black Ops was a really good game with some really sharp writing. TDKR was elevated by Hardy's performance as Bane.

This, alongside Superman Returns, Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, and Spider-Man 3 are the worst movies ever made and they ruined my childhood forever.

I liked it.

Top Bottom