• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War - 1up.com review

Endymion

Mama Smurf said:
Not according to Gamespot

Oh, you were being sarcastic? This is one fucked up thread.

It is, according to me (I played it too). That's why I am convinced that the game won't go down in history ad overrated. Of course, there will be people complaining just like every other game out (it happened for RE4, Ninja gaiden Halo 2, San Andreas). But as far as the overhyped comment goes, i think that's not true since it's up there with best in the genre (NG and DMC3). Tha's all ;)

Daigoro

Belfast said:
I would make some positive comment incorporating a clever theological pun, but I'll just say this: "FUCKING A, IF THIS LIVES UP, JAFFE, I'LL BE YOUR LOVE SLAVE FOREVER!"

you mean quip. there were no puns. otherwise, very clever!

i doubt this game will go down as an all-time classic or anything, but it should be awesome. you see 9.8, 9.5, 10 etc being thrown around everywhere but that kind of crap goes on with every game. for gods sake OPM gave mlb 2k5 a great grade. reviews are only one persons opinion, and sometimes those can be seen as poor opinions. this game will be a great game, but nothing revolutionary

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I really don't get this complain

The only part of the control scheme that isn't as user friendly is the evade technique you can perform by flicking the right analog stick. From whatever direction your character is facing, you can roll in four directions -- forward, back, left and right -- and most of the time this works well, giving you a quick escape. But because you can only move in four directions without changing the position of your character first, sometimes in the heat of a battle, you won't be able to roll exactly where you want because you won't have the half a second it takes to turn your character first. It's a small complaint, but it's interesting how this part of the control scheme is rigid when the rest is so fluid.

You don't have "to turn your character first" in order to evade in the derection you want. Whatever direction you are facing, DOWN means rolling towards the bottom of the screen, LEFT to left, RIGHT to right and so on. It's screen relative, not character relative. That's one of the thing I appreciated the most about the contro scheme actually.

Great review anyway.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Australian release date and info as follows;

Release date: 2nd january 2006
Features: 50hz big ass black borders with no pro scan.

Yes it sucks to be a PAL gamer, i want the game now.

Solid

:lol

Some people say the PAL-version will be out in June. I keep my fingers crossed for a Collectors Edition.

Borys

Banned
Ryudo said:
Australian release date and info as follows;

Release date: 2nd january 2006
Features: 50hz big ass black borders with no pro scan.

Yes it sucks to be a PAL gamer, i want the game now.

I want to kill myself for living in Europe.
Europe = dumpster of the world.

sly

Banned
Borys said:

Same here. I really can't stand Europe anymore. I'm moving to the States next year though, so I guess I'll have to endure till then................

Solid

Borys said:
Well, I wouldn't say that. Remember we got the best versions of both MGS3 and GT4 a couple weeks ago :)

But yeah, the wait is really annoying. But thank Germany, France and Spain for that.

acidviper

Banned
Mr_Furious said:
I just hope Sony doesn't fuck up how they market GOW. This game needs to be jammed down the consumer's throat because it's a new IP.

Its an M game so its gonna be on the usual channels and not on afterschool specials.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Mr_Furious said:
I just hope Sony doesn't fuck up how they market GOW. This game needs to be jammed down the consumer's throat because it's a new IP.

I was running through my Tivo'd eps of MXC this weekend.... there were God of War commercials at almost EVERY break.

DarienA said:
I was running through my Tivo'd eps of MXC this weekend.... there were God of War commercials at almost EVERY break.

They're running them on the major networks too, which is very rare for any game to get. The game seems to be getting a bigger campaign than GT4.

Drek

They're running them on the major networks too, which is very rare for any game to get. The game seems to be getting a bigger campaign than GT4.
Why wouldn't it though? GT4 sells itself, God of War is a new IP that can go either way in terms of sales. Prince of Persia offers Sony an excellent example of the major boost advertising can give a game. Sands of Time, lightly advertised, was widely considered an excellent game yet sold poorly. Warrior Within, heavily advertised, didn't get the critical acolades, but still sold significantly better.

The combination of a strong advertising campaign with a quality game like GoW can result in a new million selling IP for Sony. They can add it to their other new million sellers from this generation like Rachet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, and Socom.

Ofcourse GT4 really doesn't need the marketing, but after GT1 it really didn't need the marketing either but it still was Sony's main focus whenever a new game came out. I'm just saying that with GoW getting such a big push, it shows how important Sony sees it as and how they aren't going to let it fail. Remember when J&D's campaign? That's how I think GoW is going to be.

Che

Banned
If Sony doesn't market this game to death they'll be incredibly stupid. GoW deserves huge sales numbers.

Drek said:
Sands of Time, lightly advertised, was widely considered an excellent game yet sold poorly. Warrior Within, heavily advertised, didn't get the critical acolades, but still sold significantly better.

Except Sands of Time has sold much better than WW so far, at least in North America. I also don't remember WW having a stronger marketing campaign than SoT, at least not in terms of commercials.

Code:
Prince of Persia SoT (PS2)  |   615,854
Prince of Persia SoT (XBOX) |   376,107
Prince of Persia SoT (GCN)  |   [u]197,627[/u]
Total                       | 1,189,588
                            |
Prince of Persia WW (PS2)   |   284,444
Prince of Persia WW (XBOX)  |   271,050
Prince of Persia WW (GCN)   |    [u]78,468[/u]
Total                       |   633,962

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bogdan said:
My opinion, I played and beat the game. Have talked to many others that have played and beat the game. I just cannot understand the review scores, they are crazy inflated. This is going to be ranked up with the greats and it just isn't. In a year no one will be talking about it.

The game is quality all around, from intro to ending, great storyline and it is worked well into the game, but it isn't the be all and end all that people are making it out to be.

You make it sound as if everyone is going to suddenly realize they've been fooled upon playing...

Opinions are opinions, though. Prior to Halo 2's release, many a pirate ran off claiming that "Fako 2" was an absolute mistake and not worthy of any praise. By the way they were talking, you'd think it was a 1.5 out of 10 or something. Yet, it is easily one of the best FPS experiences I've ever had. Absolutely loved it. Reviews excite people, but the final judgement will not come to pass until others have really played it.

phrenal

Neo Member
You don't have "to turn your character first" in order to evade in the derection you want. Whatever direction you are facing, DOWN means rolling towards the bottom of the screen, LEFT to left, RIGHT to right and so on. It's screen relative, not character relative. That's one of the thing I appreciated the most about the contro scheme actually.

The general direction you go in is screen relative, but the exact point you hit when you roll is character relative. From whatever direction Kratos is facing, you can only move him in four directions. So if Kratos is facing the upper right part of the screen, there's no way to make him go in directly to the bottom of the screen -- you can only make him go to the lower left or lower right part of the screen.

ChristKiller said:
Except Sands of Time has sold much better than WW so far, at least in North America. I also don't remember WW having a stronger marketing campaign than SoT, at least not in terms of commercials.

Code:
Prince of Persia SoT (PS2)  |   615,854
Prince of Persia SoT (XBOX) |   376,107
Prince of Persia SoT (GCN)  |   [u]197,627[/u]
Total                       | 1,189,588
                            |
Prince of Persia WW (PS2)   |   284,444
Prince of Persia WW (XBOX)  |   271,050
Prince of Persia WW (GCN)   |    [u]78,468[/u]
Total                       |   633,962

That's not an accurate analogy because you're comparing a game that's been on the market for well over a year to one that's been out for only 4 (or so) months.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Plus SoT dropped in price sharply at some point. We'll have to see if WW does that too.

Even with a price drop though, I'd be surprised if WW can double its current sales.

Ranger X

I have a serious question about GOW.
I never dig DMC combat style enough to ever buy a Devil May Cry and i'm not really keen on Ninja Gaiden Xbox either.
I fear i may not dig God Of War fighting. What's in there for me you think? The rest of the game looks interesting.

Wyzdom said:
I have a serious question about GOW.
I never dig DMC combat style enough to ever buy a Devil May Cry and i'm not really keen on Ninja Gaiden Xbox either.
I fear i may not dig God Of War fighting. What's in there for me you think? The rest of the game looks interesting.

I only played the DMC1 demo and I can tell you that GOW is much better. You can link combos instantaneously and pull of some amazing moves. It is NOT a button masher like DMC. GOW also has a far better story/music/graphics etc.

Ranger X

Doom_Bringer said:
I only played the DMC1 demo and I can tell you that GOW is much better. You can link combos instantaneously and pull of some amazing moves. It is NOT a button masher like DMC. GOW also has a far better story/music/graphics etc.

Cause the fighting i like is when you pull-off moves separately but it is YOU that link them because you're good/fast. I don't like button chains that can change and link by modifiers etc etc...

Wyzdom said:
Cause the fighting i like is when you pull-off moves separately but it is YOU that link them because you're good/fast. I don't like button chains that can change and link by modifiers etc etc...

I have no idea of what you are talking about. Just rent the game :)

Mr_Furious said:
That's not an accurate analogy because you're comparing a game that's been on the market for well over a year to one that's been out for only 4 (or so) months.

Warrior Within is still considerably behind where Sands of Time was a year ago, even though it sells for a lower price on average ($45) than Sands of Time did at that point($48). (All these details are from the February NPD thread.) Anyways, I doubt it will pick up very many sales after a price drop, due to all the negative word of mouth and glitches.

ChristKiller said:
Warrior Within is still considerably behind where Sands of Time was a year ago, even though it sells for a lower price on average ($45) than Sands of Time did at that point($48). (All these details are from the February NPD thread.)
Ubisoft was initially disappointed by SoT's sales so I'm doubting what you're claiming. Do you have Feb 2004 NPD/TRST data for PoP: SoT to back your statement?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wyzdom said:

Then you would like the fighting system in Devil May Cry more, at least if I understand you correctly. God of War uses a fighting system like...well Rygar: The Legendary Adventure. It's a series of button combonations to pull off certain moves. Like triangle x 3 + square.

Devil May Cry is based off a system where the move you perform depends on the timing of your presses.

Ranger X

Anyway, i'm gonna rent the game that's for sure. Or whatever buy it and if i really don't like (wich would still be surprising i guess) i'll trade it that's all. Thanks guys.

Top Bottom