• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 4 art leaks (Norse setting, Kratos w/ beard) [Up2: Polygon says real]

Which part of God of War 4 are you most excited about?

Results are only viewable after voting.

kyser73

If you're an average Gaffer, I've played twice or three times the games you have (sounds ridiculous but I've played a lot for a long time), and Kratos is still distilled poop. In fact, the fact I've been a hardcore gamer since well in the 80s lets me appreciate the fact that Kratos is worse than almost any AAA protag. Most of the worst ones just bland or slightly ridiculous. Kratos is like an annoying parody of the thing he tries to be, a 90s grimdark Spawn-age superhero stuffed into an otherwise amazing game series.

Yeeeeeeahhhhh....don't try some appeal to geriatric authority re: Kratos mate. I'm 43 and started playing games in the 80s too, and I fucking love Kratos for precisely the reasons you don't - that he is a one note rage-driven killing machine, and one surprisingly true to Classical Greek literature for it. Pre-Santorini storytelling, where most of the Grecian pantheon were laid down & described, characters were largely one-note ciphers for the element of humanity they were a metaphor for.

Between this thread, people being emotionally repulsed by the end of TLOU and the likely resurgence of Nate The Murderer, today has been an interesting one for PacifistGaf...

The Lamp

Oh god, YES!

But we know in this day and age of P.C. bullshit, they'd never do it. They'd be too afraid of backlash from bible thumpers.

Yeah, it's kind of insensitive to make a game about murdering an influential piece of modern culture. Considering how many Christians are in the world today and revere Jesus, you're kind of a jerk if you don't get that.

CrazyDude

Yeeeeeeahhhhh....don't try some appeal to geriatric authority re: Kratos mate. I'm 43 and started playing games in the 80s too, and I fucking love Kratos for precisely the reasons you don't - that he is a one note rage-driven killing machine, and one surprisingly true to Classical Greek literature for it. Pre-Santorini storytelling, where most of the Grecian pantheon were laid down & described, characters were largely one-note ciphers for the element of humanity they were a metaphor for.

Between this thread, people being emotionally repulsed by the end of TLOU and the likely resurgence of Nate The Murderer, today has been an interesting one for PacifistGaf...
Great, but Norse mythology is not Greek mythology and it would have been a perfect opportunity to get a new character a chance to shine. But heaven forbid we try a new main character. How can we replace a character whose only traits are being an asshole and angry.

Tengrave

Really interested in the setting. Really disappointed with Kratos being back. I almost feel like the Dante Nero switch would actually work here.

MisterR

This. But hey, you gotta listen to the vocal minority that was never interested in gow to begin with. You know what? Also make it a charachter action game while you're at it (i have nothing against charachter action games, i love them, just not every game need to be one, exactly like not every protagonist needs to be likeable and have to appeal to everyone). And ditch the violence also, i want to see petals coming out of the enemies.

I will be really angry if all of this is true.

Yep, the last thing they should do is listen to a bunch of people who seem to hate GOW to begin with. Kratos is iconic and people like GOW for a reason. The vocal minority isn't going to buy the game anyway.

Wasn't the idea in GOW III
that he physically dies but his spirit still exists
?

Maybe
he wakes up one day in Valhalla and decides "Fuck this shit".

Yeah, I could see something like this happening. More than Kratos being tied only to the Greek mythos, he ends up being some spirit or personification of anger/regret/etc. in other mythologies.

BumRush

If it's all true, I'm extremely excited for a new setting. Indifferent to Kratos being back, although I'm excited to see how he went from one mythos to another.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Yep, the last thing they should do is listen to a bunch of people who seem to hate GOW to begin with. Kratos is iconic and people like GOW for a reason. The vocal minority isn't going to buy the game anyway.

actually, there're a few of us non-kratos fans who likely would've been giving this game a shot had they come up with a new protagonist, but now won't be. maybe not a whole lot of us, but at least a few of us :) ...

actually, there're a few of us non-kratos fans who likely would've been giving this game a shot had they come up with a new protagonist, but now won't be. maybe not a whole lot of us, but at least a few of us :) ...

Could actually be close to 50% (pulled out my arse) of gamers who have played GoW that think Kratos is whack. A stupid character in an otherwise very good game series. For the love of god they need a new main hero that actually enhances the games, not detracts from them like Kratos has been doing since after GoW1.

kyser73

Great, but Norse mythology is not Greek mythology and it would have been a perfect opportunity to get a new character a chance to shine. But heaven forbid we try a new main character. How can we replace a character whose only traits are being an asshole and angry.

There is no different character called a God of War.

It doesn't matter whether they're male, female or vegetable, Greek, Norse or Babylonian they represent the essence of conflict & death and there is no depth to that, only unbridled rage & hate with absolutely no quarter or remorse.

To think otherwise is to simply not understand what war is.

Lemondish

So much this.

Unsure why people are so upset about Kratos. Maybe this series just isn't for them That's okay. Lots of other action games out there.

Lemondish

Could actually be close to 50% (pulled out my arse) of gamers who have played GoW that think Kratos is whack. A stupid character in an otherwise very good game series. For the love of god they need a new main hero that actually enhances the games, not detracts from them like Kratos has been doing since after GoW1.

How is he "a stupid character"?

Also, good things numbers from thy ass are worthless.

I don't think the generalizations are necessary. I've played all the PS3 GoW games and I platinum'd the third. I clearly like the game.

I just have an issue with the main character. He lacks substance and he is boring. I would prefer not to play as him. If I have to play as him, he needs to be reworked. At least add some layers on top of his rage and anger.

Eylos

Banned
people who love kratos to be in the new game doesn't like character development and story, only wants gameplay, kill gods, badass deaths and blood

well the gameplay will be fun, but will be idiotic to see angry kratos calling for vegeance for whatever reason they will create

I'm genuinely loving the Kratos salt.
Even previous GoW speculation threads, people couldn't handle the idea of Kratos being back lol.

MisterR

Well, when you have facts like that, it's hard to argue with you.

Very excited for the new setting, don't mind Kratos though I would've prefered a new character, I said yesterday in the speculation thread that I was counting on him to return even if they changed the setting.

What I need to know is if they're still going for fixed camera angles, I hope not.

zeemumu

I like the idea of moving towards another mythology for it. Honestly I'm gonna miss the Blades of Chaos/Athena/Exile. I hope that axe can do some cool-ass shit. Hopefully Kratos has had some time to calm down after reopening his chest wound. After what happened in the last game I expect him to change in some way personality-wise.

OléGunner;200206038 said:
I'm genuinely loving the Kratos salt.
Even previous GoW speculation threads, people couldn't handle the idea of Kratos being back lol.

Kratos himself was always such a small part of what I enjoyed of GOW games

They could literally replace him with a silent created your own protag.

So yeah Im not exactly invested in playing Kratos again but whatever

I am far more concerned on whether they plan of building something new in the gameplay department

I have a feeling they will still lean on the core pillars of design for a GOW game

And there's probably just as many people who wouldn't buy it if Kratos was not in it. Six of one; half a dozen of the other.

It doesn't matter whether they're male, female or vegetable, Greek, Norse or Babylonian they represent the essence of conflict & death and there is no depth to that, only unbridled rage & hate with absolutely no quarter or remorse.

You mean like Mars? Or specifically in Greek Mythology.
Edit: Aztec God of War would be a really cool setting I think

zeemumu

it's a descendent of Kratos

But if it's a descendant then that means that he got a tattoo based on a tattoo based on a birthmark, and then wrapped chains around his arms.

And that he'd have someone close to him that he didn't directly/indirectly kill
like his mom, his dad, his brother, his half sister, his half brother (he didn't care about him though), his wife and kid, his fake kid, his #1 nameless spartan guard, and his best pal from Ascension.

Kratos himself was always such a small part of what I enjoyed of GOW games

They could literally replace him with a silent created your own protag.

So yeah Im not exactly invested in playing Kratos again but whatever

I am far more concerned on whether they plan of building something new in the gameplay department

I have a feeling they will still lean on the core pillars of design for a GOW game

Yeah my preferred option is Kratos coming back but I was also cool with a new main character. With the gameplay aspect though if that axe in the pictures serve as the new blades of chaos then there will be a radical shake up in combat.

Very interested to see how SSM can make that weapon as visceral, tight and give that powerful feeling... I mean it's just a godamn axe lol.

What a paradox of a post.
Gives definite data but pulled from own ass?

Killyoh

Guys, seriously.

I think the "My boy" part is important.

King confirmed.
theking-myboy.png

Agreed. If the protagonist is the literal God of War, he should be 100% rage, death, and revelry in combat. I don't give a shit about characterization beyond that. Any "woe is me" or "why must this violence happen" storytelling does not fit the tone. It didn't work when they did it with Kratos, it wouldn't work with a new protag. If they do it right, we shouldn't feel bad about killing the gods because that's the tone of the series. Kill them because they're assholes, that's it.

kris.

Banned
norse setting. all i want. could not care less about whether or not that is actually kratos. i just want rad af viking shit. hype.

ShutterMunster

Agreed. If the protagonist is the literal God of War, he should be 100% rage, death, and revelry in combat. I don't give a shit about characterization beyond that. Any "woe is me" or "why must this violence happen" storytelling does not fit the tone. It didn't work when they did it with Kratos, it wouldn't work with a new protag. If they do it right, we shouldn't feel bad about killing the gods because that's the tone of the series. Kill them because they're assholes, that's it.

Because they can't fucking write...

Shabad

Norse is cool, whatever happens with Kratos/Not Kratos us fine with me, but what I would really dig is a move towards ARPG, somehting akin to Darksiders maybe. Would love that.

people who love kratos to be in the new game doesn't like character development and story, only wants gameplay, kill gods, badass deaths and blood

well the gameplay will be fun, but will be idiotic to see angry kratos calling for vegeance for whatever reason they will create

Dude, I see you in tons of GoW threads complaining about the game, you're either trolling for lols or you're just hating for the sake of hating.

There are people who like Kratos and the type of gameplay in GoW games, get over it - the critique of the one note personality has been noted very thoroughly by this point

This! ( though I'm 24)

#StandwithKratos

kyser73

You mean like Mars? Or specifically in Greek Mythology.
Edit: Aztec God of War would be a really cool setting I think

No, as in the basic character traits across mythologies are the same because of what war is as a form of human behaviour. You can trace direct lines between Babylonian > Egyptian > Greek/pre Christian Roman as well as traces into Northern Europe. The Chinese pantheon is slightly different as there's a lot of crossover between outright mythology (Chiyou) and human deification - but the essence of violence without quarter is still prevalent. Hinduism ascribes godhood down as far as gods-for-weapons but again among the highest the same principles of character apply.

Tl:dr - war gods are almost universally one-note assholes for whom apparent motivation is merely an excuse to express their truest natures.

Corto

Norse is cool, whatever happens with Kratos/Not Kratos us fine with me, but what I would really dig is a move towards ARPG, somehting akin to Darksiders maybe. Would love that.

Though I would absolutely love something like this. I think it would be such detour for the franchise that old fans would react pretty badly. Unfortunately...

SDCowboy

This is exactly what I want from the new one. Some area exploration, loot finding, etc.

Top Bottom