• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The thing is making GOW a open world game is bigger fuck you to GOW fans than add MP is any day of the week .

Frankly, I wouldn't mind an open-world GoW game. Darksiders was.. it wasn't a great game, but it was OK. I wouldn't mind something like that, but set within the GoW universe. I'd take that over an MP mode any day of the week.

Derrick01

Banned
The thing is making GOW a open world game is bigger fuck you to GOW fans than add MP is any day of the week .

Well it doesn't have to be open world. But it needs to be something massive and earth shattering like that.

But as far as the linear-open world thing goes I wouldn't be enraged if they tried it. I've done the ultra linear god of war formula for 5 games now, it's old. Something has to be changed about it and I hope they come up with something other than multiplayer.

I'm not gonna say I agree with you but you're an example of why this multiplayer reveal was really the wrong move. A lot of the fanbase was already down on the game because of the news that it's yet again another prequel in the series and will be retreading a lot of the same old-ass themes we know. And the next announcement is multiplayer? Shoulda shown single-player footage.

On a personal level I agree with this, but I expect that they wanted to push the idea that the multiplayer isnt just tacked on, and they feel that showing the SP would take a lot of attention away from that.

I suppose they will show an extensive amount of both sp and mp at e3....despite some misgivings, I expect I will be placated eventually.

Yjynx

I totally would dig that multiplayer. The idea sound fantastic - honestly some people just too stubborn to take back what they said...

Endo Punk

So GoW CoO takes place after he murdered his wife and left Ares and this one will be before it. Please show a lot of Kratos's family life! This has the potential to be a great family drama on top of the raw gory action.

I have a feeling the game Stig is making will be a more open world action game. nothing to base this on, just a guess, whatever it is, I doubt it's another linear cinematic game like GoW. and if he is the director, I don't think it'll be a shooter, Stig has experiences in action genre, no reason why to throw it all away and make shooter.

.la1n

Multiplayer details sound pretty neat, at least they are trying to do something somewhat unique with it. Wish we had gotten some single player footage.

Endo Punk

I am 50% certain the opening of the game would be the battle against the barbarians, though Im not sure if its enough to top the openings of the sequels. I guess it depends on the execution.

So GoW CoO takes place after he murdered his wife and left Ares and this one will be before it. Please show a lot of Kratos's family life! This has the potential to be a great family drama on top of the raw gory action.

this game takes place 6 months after he kill his family, he's locked, bound in chain and imprisoned somewhere and he start having nightmares of what he's done. it's the nightmare he keeps wanting the gods to erase in later games.

my guess you will get lots of flashback to his earlier days before he made deal with Ares which is why Tod Pappy said you'll see normal Kratos from time to time, although it's unknown whether the flashback will be playable.

jett

D-Member

This game takes place six months after Kratos kill his family. He's stuck in some sort of titan-sized prison controlled by the Furies, sentenced to a life of suffering.

Or some stupid bullshit like that. I imagine the game ends with Kratos pledging allegiance to the Olympian gods. Remember he does their bidding for 10 years before GOW1.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind an open-world GoW game. Darksiders was.. it wasn't a great game, but it was OK. I wouldn't mind something like that, but set within the GoW universe. I'd take that over an MP mode any day of the week.

Well it doesn't have to be open world. But it needs to be something massive and earth shattering like that.

But as far as the linear-open world thing goes I wouldn't be enraged if they tried it. I've done the ultra linear god of war formula for 5 games now, it's old. Something has to be changed about it and I hope they come up with something other than multiplayer.

I play GOW for many reason but set pieces and awesome gfx are the biggest reason making it open world get rids of both .
At least if i don't like MP i still have SP that made me love GOW in the first place what you asking for is to change what GOW is .
If your tired of the series no problem but i like my linear experiences and i don't what it to change .
I don't want GOW SP to change to much if i want that i will play another game or series.

I am 50% certain the opening of the game would be the battle against the barbarians, though Im not sure if its enough to top the openings of the sequels. I guess it depends on the execution.

I actually think the beginning will be fight against Ares but Kratos completely defeated, captured and imprisoned by Ares.

You are kidding yoursef if you think ND makes whole new engine from scratch for each new game. That's not how development works. They did create a brand new one for first Uncharted though.

In this game they improved what most needed improving in terms of tech (traversal animation and collision detection) so I'm happy.

With each iteration of Uncharted games, there is a new version of the Naughty Dog Engine going from NE 1.0 to 2.0 to 3.0 and not just 1.5 or 2.5 (you can check) and now it is a whole new engine with The Last Of Us with way better characters models and more open areas. It is like shifting from Unreal Engine 2 ro 3 or from 3 to 4 but on the same gen and on the same console. If Assassin's Creed 3 did it by building a newer version of the Anvill Engine and Kojima with MGS3 on PS2 or with his next game with Fox Engine, why wouldn't SSM do the same? I am just seeing a revamped GOW3 game, yes ok a betetr looking game with better details but it is just like GOW3, more like an addon and not an entire new game. That is THE REAL REASON why it can't be called God Of War IV !

Don't get wrong, changing the game director for each episode may be cool and bring up fresh and new ideas, but I think the master minds of the series are not present to lead it to the right direction. The focus this time is only on multiplayer. I am totally agreeing with David Jaffe about GOW getting some elements from Zelda. This requires a new engine with vast areas and controllable cameras to allow good quests in open areas. maybe we will see that in the REAL GOWIV on the Orbis. Until that, My hype meter dropped from 100% to 50% for this game. At least they could have followed the story of the comics, they had a great story and atmosphere with epic armies' battles and epic giants Centmani like Gyges even bigger than the titans. It would have been cool. Oh I forgot, they can't do that with THIS engine. This megalop is as big as Cronos, my ***. There won't be any wow factor in this gamelike the previous ones, just the focus on multiplayer. Sogh*. I see the limits of this team and director.

Combichristoffersen

I play GOW for many reason but set pieces and awesome gfx are the biggest reason making it open world get rids of both .
At least if i don't like MP i still have SP that made me love GOW in the first place what you asking for is to change what GOW is .
If your tired of the series no problem but i like my linear experiences and i don't what it to change.
I don't want GOW SP to change to much if i want that i will play another game or series.

I'm not tired of GoW, and I'm fine with GoW as it is, I'm just saying I wouldn't be opposed to making a more open GoW game, whereas I simply don't care about online gaming, multiplayer, co-op and all that, so I really just consider an MP mode as something unnecessary for a series that has always been SP-focused. Either way, I'll be there day 1 for GoW: A, but I'll ignore the MP mode.

This game takes place six months after Kratos kill his family. He's stuck in some sort of titan-sized prison controlled by the Furies, sentenced to a life of suffering.

Or some stupid bullshit like that. I imagine the game ends with Kratos pledging allegiance to the Olympian gods. Remember he does their bidding for 10 years before GOW1.

the thing is, Kratos pledge allegiance to Olympion gods in Chain of Olympus (well not exactly pledge, but Atlas told Kratos not to believe Olympians, Kratos are undecided and later on he told Atlas he made his decision to serve the Olympian Gods). Kratos probably get the offer to serve the Olympion Gods at the end of Ascencion but hasn't made the decision.

am i the only one who keeps reading "After he murdered his family."

jett

D-Member
the thing is, Kratos pledge allegiance to Olympion gods in Chain of Olympus (well not exactly pledge, but Atlas told Kratos not to believe Olympians, Kratos are undecided and later on he told Atlas he made his decision to serve the Olympian Gods). Kratos probably get the offer to serve the Olympion Gods at the end of Ascencion but hasn't made the decision.

Oh ok, I haven't played that game.

I'm not tired of GoW, and I'm fine with GoW as it is, I'm just saying I wouldn't be opposed to making a more open GoW game, whereas I simply don't care about online gaming, multiplayer, co-op and all that, so I really just consider an MP mode as something unnecessary for a series that has always been SP-focused. Either way, I'll be there day 1 for GoW: A, but I'll ignore the MP mode.

Someone here posted fake information about GOW:A, how there would be sections where you would control armies and shit, ravaging the lands and other armies, following Ares's orders. That sounded more interesting than anything we know about the actual game. :lol

Mikey Jr.

They are STILL fucking talking. I missed like the first half hour, so decided not to watch until it was over.

But he is still going on an hour and a half later.

FUCK.

Any single player footage I missed?

Kinyou

this game takes place 6 months after he kill his family, he's locked, bound in chain and imprisoned somewhere and he start having nightmares of what he's done. it's the nightmare he keeps wanting the gods to erase in later games.

my guess you will get lots of flashback to his earlier days before he made deal with Ares which is why Tod Pappy said you'll see normal Kratos from time to time, although it's unknown whether the flashback will be playable.
Is there a reason why Kratos is locked up? Did I miss something?

Who cares what they think if they going to act like that over a d mutiplayer reveal.

People were going to complain no matter what.

So true. Many videogame fans just love to complain. Not just GAF, but everywhere.

BTW, was the stream stored? I'm at work and was unable to watch it.

Loudninja

I would not mine one either but I doubt we will see the same quality and scale.

But hell yeah I be there if they ever make one.

Combichristoffersen

Someone here posted fake information about GOW:A, how there would be sections where you would control armies and shit, ravaging the lands and other armies, following Ares's orders. That sounded more interesting than anything we know about the actual game. :lol

Almost sounds like a GoW RTS. Would be an interesting experiment, at least :p

Ah huh.

Man you are so annoying.

Dude, you don´t have to defend against every post that did not like the reveal. Geez. It was underwhelming, and i am one the biggest GOW fans. The underwhelming reveal 2 weeks ago and this don´t do the game any favors. They should have showed SP mode and wow everyone with it.

Loudninja

Dude, you don´t have to defend every post that did not like the reveal. Geez. It was underwhelming, and i am one the biggest GOW fans. The underwhelming reveal 2 weeks ago and this don´t do the game any favors. They should have showed SP mode and wow everyone with it.
I agree with that.

But I am not defending anything though,look at the multiplayer topic. :)

Edit: However I do apologize for that annoying comment.

Dude, you don´t have to defend against every post that did not like the reveal. Geez. It was underwhelming, and i am one the biggest GOW fans. The underwhelming reveal 2 weeks ago and this don´t do the game any favors. They should have showed SP mode and wow everyone with it.

I don't see them wowing anybody with SP footage if this game has a year more to go.
Remember how it was when GOW3 was first showed off.
Even thought we all know the game has a year more to go people would still bitch about it not looking good.
Get MP out of the way so people can talk about it and come E3 have them work on a demo to wow people .

nib95

Banned

This happens with pretty much every PS3 exclusive. It's better Sony does it this way. So much more crow to feast on. That said, Sony's losing their edge, because this was actually really impressive. They need worse looking initial reveals, ala KZ2, GOW3 etc.

Loudninja

This game definitely sounds like a 2013 game.

I don't see them wowing anybody with SP footage if this game has a year more to go.
Remember how it was when GOW3 was first showed off.
Even thought we all know the game has a year more to go people would still bitch about it not looking good.
That is true, but just going by the multiplayer footage its very impressive.

I'm sure that they knew that there would be some backlash against the multiplayer mode when it was initially announced, so it was better for them to just get that out the way now. When E3 swings around they can roll out the single player footage and give people what they expect from the series without having to worry about about divided opinions on the multiplayer drawing all the attention.

I saw someone posting here some artworks of this game from Eurogamer. I searched for the gallery but didn't find it. Can someone give me the link to that gallery of Eurogamer?
And does someone know a site that posted the artworks shown in the live stream? They were epic. Maybe Andy Parks official blog or something.

AAK

In the livestream they did say that it takes place after the Barbarian fight. So he has his Blades of Chaos from the beginning.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
There were plenty of rumours earlier which indicated that the next God of War game will feature multiplayer. I think it was better that they revealed it before E3, but I don't understand why they said the SP is shorter.

I mean, I appreciate their honesty, but for a God of War game I think many people would be turned off by that. I really hope they do a better job on the SP than God of War 3 even though it's supposed to be short; more variety and stuff. Otherwise I'm gonna blame the MP component for ruining the game.

You can customize different parts of your character including the weapon (not different weapon types, but the same type is customizable). Pretty sweet. I just hope it's not the terrible customization that U3 has.

Loudninja

There were plenty of rumours earlier which indicated that the next God of War game will feature multiplayer. I think it was better that they revealed it before E3, but I don't understand why they said the SP is shorter.

I mean, I appreciate their honesty, but for a God of War game I think many people would be turned off by that. I really hope they do a better job on the SP than God of War 3 even though it's supposed to be short; more variety and stuff. Otherwise I'm gonna blame the MP component for ruining the game.
Todd said the script is shorter and thats the way it worked out.

Top Bottom