• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

Endo Punk

There were plenty of rumours earlier which indicated that the next God of War game will feature multiplayer. I think it was better that they revealed it before E3, but I don't understand why they said the SP is shorter.

I mean, I appreciate their honesty, but for a God of War game I think many people would be turned off by that. I really hope they do a better job on the SP than God of War 3 even though it's supposed to be short; more variety and stuff. Otherwise I'm gonna blame the MP component for ruining the game.

He didnt compare it to GOW3 just the trilogy in general. So the game could be anywhere between 8-12 hours long. Honestly as long as its varied and exciting I don't care if its short. Just give me more adventure.

Loudninja

He didnt compare it to GOW3 just the trilogy in general. So the game could be anywhere between 8-12 hours long. Honestly as long as its varied and exciting I don't care if its short. Just give me more adventure.
He did metion GOW3 btw.

But like I said that varies from person to person.

Tambini

So I'm replaying Ghost of Sparta at the moment and damn, I forgot how good it was.
I think it's one of my favourite GoW games.

Kinyou

no we don't know, which is why I speculate the opening fight will be against Ares, Kratos lost and them imprisoned.
Ah, interesting.

Still a little worried though. I mean we already know stuff like that Kratos wont defeat Ares until way later in the story of the games, so I wonder where the real tension will come from.

This is pretty meh to me. I feel if they wanted to make a MP GoW game they should have just made it a downloadable PSN game and sell it for $15/20.

Ah, interesting.

Still a little worried though. I mean we already know stuff like that Kratos wont defeat Ares until way later in the story of the games, so I wonder where the real tension will come from.

Yeah, I really don't get this. Prequels that actually explain part of an untold story are fine, like MGS3. In this case we've already known what happens with Kratos and Ares since the first game in the series. How can they possibly present us with a compelling scenario when the outcome has already been hammered into our heads since the beginning of the series?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I like the attention to detail with Kratos been less buff and having different clothes.

Man this is going to be weird to see.
I wonder if he's going to have the ashes on at this point. It always looks so off when they show him before that in flashbacks. It would be cool if he didn't.

Maybe they'll also make some of the finishers look harder for him to pull off since he isn't as buff. Him struggling a bit more would make them more intense and maybe even a bit more brutal since he won't be able to do as clean of cuts and rips.

Multiplayer looks interesting, I'm not exactly champing at the bit to play God of War with other people but I'm glad to see something new for the series. Hopefully the single-player campaign will feel fresh, I personally really feel like it needs to after five games - as great as they are.

I only caught the tail end of the live stream but I'm just a little concerned that when asked what made Ascension their most ambitious title to date Papy's answer was merely the addition of multiplayer. Maybe he's just playing his cards close to his chest, though.

All in all I find myself much more interested in the title now than I was when the trailer debuted, so that's something.

Loudninja

I wonder if he's going to have the ashes on at this point. It always looks so off when they show him before that in flashbacks. It would be cool if he didn't.

Maybe they'll also make some of the finishers look harder for him to pull off since he isn't as buff. Him struggling a bit more would make them more intense and maybe even a bit more brutal since he won't be able to do as clean of cuts and rips.
All Todd said is that you will see him, maybe the game has flashbacks?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
After having watched the PS Blog stream and let the MP reveal settle I feel more optimistic. It really sounds like Santa Monica's "Uncharted 2", and Uncharted 2 turned out to be great SP, probably the best of the series.

Hopefully the improvements made to the combat system for the purpose of supporting MP (including all the technicalities related to better animation etc) will benefit SP as well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
All Todd said is that you will see him, maybe the game has flashbacks?

That would be an interesting way of doing it. You could have him flashing back to some of the big battles he was in when he was a general. By not doing the flashbacks in their entirety you could space it out through the game and build up to something huge.

Loudninja

After having watched the PS Blog stream and let the MP reveal settle I feel more optimistic. It really sounds like Santa Monica's "Uncharted 2", and Uncharted 2 turned out to be great SP, probably the best of the series.

Hopefully the improvements made to the combat system for the purpose of supporting MP (including all the technicalities related to better animation etc) will benefit SP as well.

But the game has single-player, too, this time with a "revamped" combat and weapon system, "promptless" mini-games and new puzzles. Sony mentioned "fluid, life-like characters, dynamic lighting effects, and world-changing scenarios".

That alone with the improved platforming is sounding real good.

B.O.O.M

Humans fear change. It's no different in gaming I guess. I think this is exactly why they did the MP reveal early and left the SP for E3.

Nizz

Anyone else feel a little for the Cyclops? He doesn't seem too threatening, and he's completely chained. Maybe seeing him snarl and reach out to swipe at the characters once in a while. But he seemed harmless, in a big oaf kind of way.

Glad to see the sense of scale in the game, even if it was just MP. I can't wait to see some single player footage of this.

Loudninja said:
That alone with the improved platforming is sounding real good.
So the platforming will be similar to something like Uncharted? As far as climbing around?

Pranay

Anyone else feel a little for the Cyclops? He doesn't seem too threatening, and he's completely chained. Maybe seeing him snarl and reach out to swipe at the characters once in a while. But he seemed harmless, in a big oaf kind of way.

Glad to see the sense of scale in the game, even if it was just MP. I can't wait to see some single player footage of this.

So the platforming will be similar to something like Uncharted? As far as climbing around?

Not the platforming but the way you climb

I don't know why, but I'm getting Dark Souls vibes from the sound of this.

if you expect the game to suddenly be slower paced requiring more deliberate action and not arcadey button mashing combat you'll be very disappointed.

it's God of War, Kratos will still use his Blade of Chaos (although the multiplayer won't have any chained blades) one of the combat lead said that many of the revamped/improvement are under the hood, in the programming to ensure the game is very responsive even in online match.

biggest addition to combat is probably with the sword/hammer/spear/etc weapon that are used in multiplayer will also appear in sp as well. past GoW also have side weapon although they are usually limited or less useful than the blade of chaos. hopefully with those weapon are fine tuned to work on multiplayer, it will carry on to be a fun and expansive weapon in SP too.

Kinyou

Yeah those chains through the arms and neck are freaking brutal. That guy isn't going anywhere.

image_god_of_war_ascedpd52.jpg

kuroshiki

I don't know about others,

but I don't give a shit what game developers think. It doesn't matter how much talk they do, it is end product that will speak for themselves.

Nizz

Yeah those chains through the arms and neck are freaking brutal. That guy isn't going anywhere.

Jesus, he's huge. Almost a size of a Titan or the same? He seems to be slightly smaller than Gaya and the other Titans. Slightly

Nizz

this worries me more than mp addition. because 3d requires more resource no matter what and I can only hope it won't hurt GoW SP too bad.
Hopefully they'll have plenty of time to work on this. I was kind of desperate for this to hit this Fall but now I'd be fine with a March 2013 release if it means plenty of time for polish.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
this worries me more than mp addition. because 3d requires more resource no matter what and I can only hope it won't hurt GoW SP too bad.
3D mode will likely have a few compromises to get it to run but the 2D mode should be exactly the same as if 3D wasn't included.

Irish

I like how he is wearing Corpses around his neck. Gives it added character.

Did I hear Todd say that the cyclops was Polyphemus? Isn't that the Cyclops that Odysseus blinded?

thelastword

Banned
That titan is huge, the real question is who or what got him chained up like this. I doubt there were any tranquilizer darts around at that time, lol.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

That is some funny stuff.

Now, I could be drawing too much attention to such a minor moment of the demo -- even if Mr. Megaclops clearly acted as the preview's centerpiece and bullseye for logo placement. But when the lights went up for questions, I felt like I needed a shower, and clearly wasn't ready to dig into the free lunch provided for us afterwards (luckily they did not include peeled grapes in the fruit selection). I've always been peripherally aware of the God of War series, but I never really assumed the violence had such a sadistic angle -- though I do remember a description of eye-gouging during God of War 3's preview coverage had me making a mental note to avoid it at all costs.

Bwahaha

So Kratos is trying to break his bond with ares?

That isnt really the great origin story I was hoping for.

Thats set after Kratos kills his family so he will still be the rage filled ash skinned chain blade swinging guy he was in every other game.

I was expecting a pre Ares and pre chain blades Kratos. a true origin story that forced them to reinvent the god of war combat.

This seems like just another "kratos goes on a adventure" game like Chains of Olympus that doesnt really add anything to the fiction and just exists because they wanted another god of war game on ps3.

I would be ok if this game was being made by ready at dawn and the SSM team was working on something new but have SSM wasting there talents on this is just disappointing.

Oh and it has Multiplayer......

nib95

Banned
Lol what the hell. Based on that snippet, he's never played a GOW game, only seen some preview coverage? Why did they put him on this if he's squeamish lol.

Robot Pants

Wow so all they showed was the lame Multiplayer?
who cares. did they at all talk about what the game is going to be about (aka the single player)?

Top Bottom