• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Mest30 said:
Are you referring to the part right after the fight with
Medusa's sister? I dont recall there being a mirror at all. I walk in the room, slow down time and jump to a platform. Once on the new platform, I pull the lever and a gate opens up under water. I swim through that gate before the slowing down of the time runs out and then there is another lever to the right when you clear the gate. You pull the lever and it keeps that gate open for the duration. Then if you keep swimming, there is another lever and to the right of that lever is 2 gates. When you pull the lever, I attempt to swim thru the first gate (which is easy) and then thru the second gate but most of the time when I get to the second gate it's closed. I have made it before it closes but it wont let me go through.
. I have no idea what to do and dont remember seeing any mirror.

Are you aware that you can do a charge-dash underwater by holding and then releasing R1? At least I think it's R1; it's been a while.

Also, there's no mirror involved. He must have thought were you talking about something else.

FunkyPajamas said:
Heads up, my GAF brothers: God of War Collection is now U$29.99 @ Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NN7AKU/?tag=neogaf0e-20
:D I think it's a great price for two awesome games now in HD. For those still undecided, enjoy! I'm not sure if this has been posted already (apologies if it has), but the search is acting up on me. I didn't want to create a new thread (there seems to be quite a lot of things on sale @ Amazon.com, saw Uncharted: Drake's Fortune @ U$18.00) but if anybody wants to do it, go ahead.

I don't think this is a sale, I think it's the new MSRP since Best Buy has it for the same price. I was looking around to see if it was on sale yet and nice to see it dropped to $30. I may pick it up now.

OldJadedGamer said:
I don't think this is a sale, I think it's the new MSRP since Best Buy has it for the same price. I was looking around to see if it was on sale yet and nice to see it dropped to $30. I may pick it up now.
I got it from Target at $30, so I think its the new price too.

Yes 30 is the new price everywhere it seems. Picked it up yesterday at Play N Trade and they just said it had a price drop everywhere.

So far been blown away with how good it looks. Was playing the original on PS2 on HDTV recently and never did play part 2. Started it up and it's a vast improvement and the slick framerate.

crispyben

Blu_LED said:
I have a problem. I'm up to the
Mt. Olympus
part of GoW1, right after you beat
Ares
, and I need about 1,000 orbs to max out my last magic. Is there anyway to get it, or am I completely out of chances?
Too late, get back to your previous save and abuse the first phase of the battle...

snap0212

Blu_LED said:
I have a problem. I'm up to the
Mt. Olympus
part of GoW1, right after you beat
Ares
, and I need about 1,000 orbs to max out my last magic. Is there anyway to get it, or am I completely out of chances?
Can you fight
Ares
again?

Mest30

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Are you aware that you can do a charge-dash underwater by holding and then releasing R1? At least I think it's R1; it's been a while.

Also, there's no mirror involved. He must have thought were you talking about something else.

I am aware that R1 lets me use a dash but it still wasn't working. I did finally get through it the other day. When first entering the room,
I cranked the switch which lifted the first colum, jumped to the other platform and pulled that switch and went under water to the next room over. I pulled the switch to the right to keep that first gate open the entire time, jumped out of the water and cranked the second switch which lifted the second colum and went under water again to tackle the double gates.

Same thing happened a good 10 times in a row. I got to the second gate before it closed and the game would not allow me to go through it.

So I shut the game off and restarted it and tried again but this time I did not
crank the switches that lifted the colums and I got through the double gate on the first try. After I was through, the double gates stayed up and I returned to crank the switches.
Man was that a pain to figure out.

Alex

I went ahead and sold my PS2 games and bought this.

I had beaten GoW on normal mode prior, way too easy, so I decided to kick up on hard this time.

Jesus Christ this is harder than I expected, it's kind of a canyon between the two modes. It's neat because it's really designed around using your full arsenal on hard+ which is something I love about GoW and not-so-much the more combo string, filler happy Japanese beat 'em ups of modern day. (just IMO)

Most of it has been extremely legit and balanced difficulty so far except this one room of absolute cheapness. Grr. Well, back to toil. It's nice to be challenged.

Oh I did have this crash, well, pseudo crash. Screen went black, only played audio. Kind of bizzare.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So I finally popped this in and starting playing through the two games again, despite having purchased this day 1.
I've been on a MASSIVE action game trip since the beginning of this year. I've completed Darksiders, Bayonetta, DMC1, DMC2 (twice), DMC3, Dante's Inferno, EDF 2017, and last night, DMC4. Since I only played through the three GoW games last summer, I decided to save this new collection for last.

I must admit, I'm amused to see that GoW's many glitches seem to remain intact. I only just got off the ship after killing the Hydra boss, and I've already managed to glitch myself enough red orbs to have my Blades of Chaos at level 3, and Poseidon's Rage at level 2. They're the only two powers available to me so far.

So awesome. :lol

Mejilan

:lol

I'm still in the room where Aphrodite grants you the Medusa's Gaze power, and I've already got Poseidon's Rage maxed, Medusa's Gaze maxed, and the Blades of Chaos up to level 4, and halfway to getting that maxed too!

So cheap! Can't believe they didn't fix these red orb farming exploits!

Edit - All 3 available powers are now maxed. I think I'll stock up an additional 20 bars worth of red orbs, and finally move on! Should have no problems maxing all powers before the end game at this point! :D

playing thru GOW1 has me ripping my hair out (mind you im playing t on hard but still) some of the battles and traversal segments are just horribly designed, its more unforgiving than demons souls and just downright cheap at times. pushing a cage uphill while there infinite respawn of enemies? having me fight 3 waves on enemies no health chest and then fight another wave? really? damn I cant wait to play GOW 2 cuz i know this bullshit wasnt in the second one.

Mesijs

Just finished GoW II, already played I before.

WOW WOW WOW!!! I enjoyed the HELL out of it. The level design is exceptionally great. You have a lot of moments that you return to previous areas through different paths with new powers, they managed to do this perfectly.

In the beginning I thought the story was a bit worse than the first one but it really picked up at the end.

I think II is more polished, balanced and paced than I. A lot of very fun and well thought-out puzzles and platform segments as well. I immediately jumped into New Game + and I think I'm going for the Platinum. Great, great game.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Domcorleone said:
playing thru GOW1 has me ripping my hair out (mind you im playing t on hard but still) some of the battles and traversal segments are just horribly designed, its more unforgiving than demons souls and just downright cheap at times. pushing a cage uphill while there infinite respawn of enemies? having me fight 3 waves on enemies no health chest and then fight another wave? really? damn I cant wait to play GOW 2 cuz i know this bullshit wasnt in the second one.
Only part I hate about either of the games. So frustrating.

MoxManiac

Yeah GoW1 has a lot of really annoying, irritating bullshit that makes it hard for me to want to replay it. GoW2 on the other hand, doesn't have the same problem, depsite the fact that it too spices up the fighting with room/enviroment puzzles. I guess GoW2 is just that much better design/gameplay wise.

ACE 1991

MoxManiac said:
Yeah GoW1 has a lot of really annoying, irritating bullshit that makes it hard for me to want to replay it. GoW2 on the other hand, doesn't have the same problem, depsite the fact that it too spices up the fighting with room/enviroment puzzles. I guess GoW2 is just that much better design/gameplay wise.

Yeah. I played the first and second back to back on the collection and I'd have to agree.

i just broke my brand new silver DS3 while attempting the second challenge on GoW2.

i only have ONE. TROPHY. LEFT. im afraid that even if i were to get past that challenge i would end up breaking something far more important than a controller...

Mejilan

So in GoW I, 200 bars = 60,000 red orbs = absolute max allowable!
Yeah, now that I'm replaying the games, GoW I definitely fails to hold up as well as II and CoO, IMHO.
Enough of that. Now it's time to kill the Minotaur!

ACE 1991

God dammit,
the fight against zeus
is so fucking long and I keep dying, losing like 10 minutes of progress... I'm just going to screw it until God of War III comes out.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
ACE 1991 said:
God dammit,
the fight against zeus
is so fucking long and I keep dying, losing like 10 minutes of progress... I'm just going to screw it until God of War III comes out.
I just did this yesterday (on normal) so it's fresh in my mind. I'm assuming you beat the siren part since you can just spam Atlas's Rage to rock him but
when you are fighting in phase 2, just kind of stay back and keep reflecting his bolts back at him. If you go on offense you'll get hurt a lot. Plus each reflection gives you extra health and magic. Once you get the blade be careful and pick your shots. Too much attacking can hurt you, just gotta be patient. The third phase is pretty easy.

Hope that helps a little bit.

ACE 1991 said:
God dammit,
the fight against zeus

parry his fireballs and shoot them back at him, they take away a lot of his health

ACE 1991

NameGenerated said:
I just did this yesterday (on normal) so it's fresh in my mind. I'm assuming you beat the siren part since you can just spam Atlas's Rage to rock him but
when you are fighting in phase 2, just kind of stay back and keep reflecting his bolts back at him. If you go on offense you'll get hurt a lot. Plus each reflection gives you extra health and magic. Once you get the blade be careful and pick your shots. Too much attacking can hurt you, just gotta be patient. The third phase is pretty easy.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Alright, thanks. I
got to the part where you hit him with the large pillar, but I keep dying after that and then getting frustrated that I have to start all way at the part where he turns small

Wolf23

Neo Member
Just finished God of War II last night and suffered the Boss Batch 3 glitch.

Does anyone know of anyway around this? I keep reading that I will have to do a bonus play but would just like to go back to my save before the Krakken and try and get it to work.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

joesmokey

So I'm at the final battle in GoW2 (
Zeus
) and I have no idea what to do. I'm at one of the last phases (so GameFaqs tells me) and I just flung the boss through the ruins and he disappeared. The GameFaqs guide tells me to do this:
Watch the mini-cutscene and go to the base of the column, to the far left, marked by the shining white dot. Press R1 to scale the column and lift and tilt the teetering horizontal slab. The slab will crash onto Zeus.
However there's nothing for me to do. No shining dot, no R1 button press, I'm just running around aimlessly. Is this another glitch? I already had the battle freeze on me when doing Atlus' ground pounds :(.

Is there something I'm completely missing here, or am I forced to start over again? :(

Edit: Going to try restarting from last checkpoint, can't think of anything else.

Edit2: Glitched again :(. Going to quit the game and restart I guess, if it glitches again then I think I'm screwed :/.

Yet Another Edit: Finally worked :D

GatorBait

Can anybody speak to how bad the zooming and cropping for widescreen is in this game? I hate playing games that use zoom/crop to achieve widescreen for the same reason I don't like watching widescreen movies in 4:3.

GatorBait said:
Can anybody speak to how bad the zooming and cropping for widescreen is in this game? I hate playing games that use zoom/crop to achieve widescreen for the same reason I don't like watching widescreen movies in 4:3.
There's only a little bit of cropping, but to me, any cropping is stupid so I don't use widescreen mode. I don't want to see less of the game, just zoomed in.

WaltJay

I started up GOW1 the other day, and I ended up doing the EXACT same thing I did when I first played it on the PS2 years ago.
With Ares in the background, I ran to the right to the locked gate, rather than going to the left where the action is.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
WaltJay said:
I started up GOW1 the other day, and I ended up doing the EXACT same thing I did when I first played it on the PS2 years ago.
With Ares in the background, I ran to the right to the locked gate, rather than going to the left where the action is.
:lol same here every time I play the game.

burgerdog

WaltJay said:

I did the exact same thing and I was stuck for about 10 minutes. :lol :lol I'm pretty sure I did it on the ps2 version, too.

GatorBait

CrayzeeCarl said:
There's only a little bit of cropping, but to me, any cropping is stupid so I don't use widescreen mode. I don't want to see less of the game, just zoomed in.

Wait...so can you play the GoW Collection in non-widescreen? I was under the impression that you couldn't switch from widescreen mode.

Weenerz

Banned
I tried playing GoW1, it was just not very much fun, so I went headfirst into GoW2 and loved every minute of it. Really well made, at least when I compared it to my other hack and slash genre games (Conan and Dante's Inferno). So glad I only have a short wait compared to you GoW vets out there, not even a month and I get to play more and you guys have had to wait years. :lol

GatorBait said:
Wait...so can you play the GoW Collection in non-widescreen? I was under the impression that you couldn't switch from widescreen mode.
Sorry, I don't remember exactly what the settings were, but there was one setting that would zoom and crop some. If I left it off, there was about a 1" black bar on each side (on a 50" TV), so it was still "widescreen," I guess. If I turned it on, there were no black bars and part of the top and bottom were cut off. I left it off so I could see the top and bottom of the playing area.

Wolf23 said:
Just finished God of War II last night and suffered the Boss Batch 3 glitch.

Does anyone know of anyway around this? I keep reading that I will have to do a bonus play but would just like to go back to my save before the Krakken and try and get it to work.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Curious, what is the Boss Batch 3 glitch? Because I thought I should have earned it and I didn't,
I thought I beat all 3 sisters, but that huge fat one with all memory strings attached to her counts as the last sister and I didn't know that, so once I did that I got the trophy.

Shurs

I'm about 8 hours in to God Of War and now the game gets stuck in a loading loop. It loads my save file successfully, but when it goes to load the section I'm in it never follows through. It reminds me of myself.

I guess I'll just watch some YouTube clips of the end of the game then move on to God of War 2.

I'm frustrated. It's been a really great experience so far.

Shurs said:
I'm about 8 hours in to God Of War and now the game gets stuck in a loading loop. It loads my save file successfully, but when it goes to load the section I'm in it never follows through. It reminds me of myself.

I guess I'll just watch some YouTube clips of the end of the game then move on to God of War 2.

I'm frustrated. It's been a really great experience so far.

Dirty disc / lens / both?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Just finished GoW1 and yes, I do agree. I never beat it before, and now I know why. The game borders on annoying as time goes on. Gameplay wise it's fine, but puzzles in a game that rely on time (I'm looking at you
spike box puzzle
) can go die in a fire. Not sure how that made it through playtesting. There were a couple more annoying like that, but that's the one I recall most clearly.

I'm only 2 hours into GoW2, but it's infinitely more fun than GoW1. I'll probably never play GoW1 again.

Shurs

Philanthropist said:
Dirty disc / lens / both?

The disc looks fine. It goes from the case to the PS3 and back each time. I've had no problem with any of my other games. I think I may try to delete any game (not save) data and try it again.

Mest30

Banned
Am I one of the few that likes GOW 1 much better than 2? I havent even finished two yet because it's so annoying. The puzzles in GOW are hard at times, but you always know what you have to do, it's just a matter of doing it. In GOW 2, I walk around aimlessly at several junctions wondering WTF I'm suppose to do. It's to the point where I dont even want to play anymore.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Mest30 said:
Am I one of the few that likes GOW 1 much better than 2? I havent even finished two yet because it's so annoying. The puzzles in GOW are hard at times, but you always know what you have to do, it's just a matter of doing it. In GOW 2, I walk around aimlessly at several junctions wondering WTF I'm suppose to do. It's to the point where I dont even want to play anymore.

Really? Both games are incredibly linear. I do think that GoW1 is better than GoW2 at times, but you're definitely in the minority as far as thinking GoW2 is less directed than GoW1. GoW1 just closed more doors after completing an area.

You're either probably A) not aware that you can use an item on a particular door or B) backtracking too far.

-viper-

Banned
are cutscenes skippable in this game? i remember in the ps2 you couldn't skip them. I've just purchased the GOw collection now and would like to know if you can skip them.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
-viper- said:
are cutscenes skippable in this game? i remember in the ps2 you couldn't skip them. I've just purchased the GOw collection now and would like to know if you can skip them.
You can't skip them the first time but you can on other playthroughs or after reloading a checkpoint.

I just got the collection and I'm very impressed with their rework of the graphics. Also it's amazing how playable the game still is, I beat it twice back in the day and I've got no problem it seems plowing through it again.

-viper-

Banned
Having a great time with GOW1 so far. Reached the Temple of the Oracle. Just one question.

Does GOW1 feature a New Game+ feature? If I decide to play a second playthrough, will I have all my upgrades?

Top Bottom