• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

Arsenic

chubigans said:
Whoa whoa whoa, the purple lance in GOWII was easily the best weapon in the entire game. I loved the proximity mines, timed explosives, etc. you could lay with that thing. If it were only a bit more powerful I would have used it for the entire game (still did anyways).
I'm curious how much you got hit while performing the moves with the lance.
It might be a good offensive weapon, but it put you in position to get killed easily

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Arsenic said:
I'm curious how much you got hit while performing the moves with the lance.
It might be a good offensive weapon, but it put you in position to get killed easily

Couldn't you still evade with the lance? As long as you can evade, you can definitely get through the game taking minimal damage. The game itself isn't all that difficult, but the lance is pretty much useless on harder difficulties except to artificially create an even bigger challenge.

Arsenic

GuardianE said:
Couldn't you still evade with the lance? As long as you can evade, you can definitely get through the game taking minimal damage. The game itself isn't all that difficult, but the lance is pretty much useless on harder difficulties except to artificially create an even bigger challenge.
You can evade and im pretty sure you can block (the animation ends up being the blades though), but im talking about the sequence of moves you perform. Most of them leaves you out in the open and are unable to cancel.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Arsenic said:
You can evade and im pretty sure you can block (the animation ends up being the blades though), but im talking about the sequence of moves you perform. Most of them leaves you out in the open and are unable to cancel.

Yeah, I don't remember too well. I thought you could cancel the animations, but it's been a while since I tried them.

I do remember that the lance really wasn't powerful enough to be useful, and didn't have enough crowd control to really be useful. I certainly liked the concept of it though.

Arsenic

GuardianE said:
Yeah, I don't remember too well. I thought you could cancel the animations, but it's been a while since I tried them.

I do remember that the lance really wasn't powerful enough to be useful, and didn't have enough crowd control to really be useful. I certainly liked the concept of it though.
There's one heavy move that hit an enemy in the air (hold triangle, tap triangle i think) that leaves you in the open for a few seconds, and its one directional and affects only one enemy. Light types. it's extremely useless lol

I just picked this up. Was never really a fan of the God of War games, was always a DMC kinda guy. Prior to this, I've played maybe the first half of the first GoW, and maybe a quarter of the second, but that was so long ago, and I forgot so much of them in that time, that it's like I'm practically gonna play them for the first time. So far a little bit into the first game and it's great! Looks and feels awesome on the PS3. Figured I'd get a bit of backstory before GoW3 hits.

Should be funnnnn!!!

So I started God 1 on Hard mode, I'm not too far in but honestly I'm not having too much trouble with it. From reading this thread it sounds like there are certain sections later on that will absolutely punish me, and I already declined the "Easy" mode offer. Dammnnn..

Fuuu. Anyone got tips on protecting the first translator in Titan mode? First wave I can deal with. Second wave, I lock myself in translator's cage and deal with enemies. Third wave gets me everytime :(

I got hammer+2, Athena blades+3, medusa's gaze +3 and quake

kuYuri

Just finished GoWII and am on my way to getting the platinum. This is my second time finishing it, finished it once back on PS2.

I've forgotten how epic and badass the endgame of GoWII is, I'm so hyped for this Tuesday.

The boss battle with Lahkesis and Atropos are some of my favorite boss battles from last gen.

BiggNife

Tkawsome said:
So I just finished God of War II.

Why didn't Kratos just use the threads of fate to stop himself from killing his family, or at least stop himself from draining his god powers into the Blade of Olympus?
I was under the impression that
Kratos was so overcome with rage after Zeus' betrayal that the only thing on his mind was making sure Zeus would suffer. Remember that Kratos had been serving the Gods for over ten years, yet despite all that Zeus still kills him. I don't think anyone would be thinking clearly after something like that.

Also, if Kratos went back and stopped his family from being killed, he would still be eternally indebted to Ares, which I'm sure is not something Kratos would be satisfied with. It's probable that Ares would still try to ruin Kratos one way or the other.

And if Kratos never gave his allegiance to Ares, he surely would have been killed by the Barbarian King. So it's not like Kratos had a lot of good choices.

BiggNife said:
Kratos was so overcome with rage after Zeus' betrayal that the only thing on his mind was making sure Zeus would suffer. Remember that Kratos had been serving the Gods for over ten years, yet despite all that Zeus still kills him. I don't anyone would be thinking clearly after something like that.

Also, if Kratos went back and stopped his family from being killed, he would still be eternally indebted to Ares, which I'm sure is not something Kratos would be satisfied with. I'm sure Ares would still try to ruin Kratos one way or the other.

And if Kratos never gave his allegiance to Ares, he surely would have been killed by the Barbarian King. So it's not like Kratos had a lot of good choices.

Go back in time and kill the barbarian king, simple. Yeah it causes time paradoxes but taking the past titans to the present should pretty much have already done that; so he would be fine.

LakeEarth

MemoryofMaggot said:
So I started God 1 on Hard mode, I'm not too far in but honestly I'm not having too much trouble with it. From reading this thread it sounds like there are certain sections later on that will absolutely punish me, and I already declined the "Easy" mode offer. Dammnnn..
I hate the easy mode offer, because the only time it shows up is due to a pit/trap section which it won't help on.

Strider2K99 said:
Just finished GoWII and am on my way to getting the platinum. This is my second time finishing it, finished it once back on PS2.

I've forgotten how epic and badass the endgame of GoWII is, I'm so hyped for this Tuesday.

The boss battle with Lahkesis and Atropos are some of my favorite boss battles from last gen.
Yeah I saw you playing the game today, looking at your trophies I figured you were going for the God 2 platinum. I'm trailing behind you!:lol

How hard are the challenges in God 2? Reading through this thread it seems that people think it's not as hard as the God 1 challenges.

Schrade

shagg_187 said:
lol yeah. Once you do other stuff, it should be easy to get through. Roll your way out. It takes a little bit of luck. Definitely roll your way in the door, reserve the jumps (very rarely though cause roll works flawlessly).
So to follow up on my troubles in the spinning sawblades room in God of War, I found out why I was having problems. I was rolling left first then forward. I needed to do forward first then to the left. (From the start handswitch)

It fits the timing of the blades better. I kept trying left then forward over and over in different variations and no matter what I couldn't do it fast enough to get to the door in time.

I finally hit the Hades bladed spinning boards test and got through that pretty easily. I kept having problems until I realized I could jump on the catwalks and jump over the bladed boards.

Very impressive game. I never had a PS2 (I was purely a PC gamer back then) and playing these awesome and cinematic games is such a treat.

I hope/think I'm getting near the end of GOW so I can start GOW II and then finally play GOW III. I work too damn much so it's hard to get through these in the little amount of time I have.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
MemoryofMaggot said:
How hard are the challenges in God 2? Reading through this thread it seems that people think it's not as hard as the God 1 challenges.

They're like playing the game on hard mode. Nothing too crazy until the last one which is not getting hit. But once I youtubed how to do it it only took about 10-15 tries. Compared to the rest of the game though it is by far the hardest trophy, especially since you get every other trophy in the game just doing a run on easy.

badcrumble said:
One thing that really stood out to me on my GoW1 replay wasn't the Hades spike towers (which were honestly never that frustrating to me) - it was the box-pushing spikey-floor puzzle. If you don't remember it, you will. I never really remembered it being all that tough, but on my GoW Collection playthrough it felt BRUTALLY uncompromising.

this part was REALLY hard for me to pass...2nd hardest would be the two tower rotating spikes in hades...

anyways awesome games, i just finished playing them back to back and looking forward to 3 this week...

Amir0x

Banned
MemoryofMaggot said:
Yeah I saw you playing the game today, looking at your trophies I figured you were going for the God 2 platinum. I'm trailing behind you!:lol

KRATOS FEASTS ON THE BLOOD OF BAN EVADERS!

BiggNife said:
Kratos was so overcome with rage after Zeus' betrayal that the only thing on his mind was making sure Zeus would suffer. Remember that Kratos had been serving the Gods for over ten years, yet despite all that Zeus still kills him. I don't think anyone would be thinking clearly after something like that.

Also, if Kratos went back and stopped his family from being killed, he would still be eternally indebted to Ares, which I'm sure is not something Kratos would be satisfied with. It's probable that Ares would still try to ruin Kratos one way or the other.

It's way simpler than all that. He simply doesn't give a shit anymore. All Kratos wants is revenge. All he wants is to leave all of Olympus in ruin.

Meier

Since I don't know of a specific PS3 thread, can someone in this one answer a question for me? I just bought a second system and want to transfer some of the data.. I see the transfer utility says to connect the two with an ethernet cord which would be kind of a pain. Can I copy my saves, etc. with an 8GB memory stick? What options exist for transferring data?

EazyB

Banned
Finally broke down and bought the game off Amazon. Never played any of the GoW games so I'm pretty pumped to jump in. Hopefully it'll ship tomorrow so I can get the $5 off GoW3.

Meier said:
Since I don't know of a specific PS3 thread, can someone in this one answer a question for me? I just bought a second system and want to transfer some of the data.. I see the transfer utility says to connect the two with an ethernet cord which would be kind of a pain. Can I copy my saves, etc. with an 8GB memory stick? What options exist for transferring data?
You can either do an entire system back up (requires 40-50 GB, depending on how much data you have) or you can copy individual game saves. After you plug your USB stick in, just go to the game saves, press triangle and hit 'copy'. It will copy the save file to your stick.

Meier

RustyNails said:
You can either do an entire system back up (requires 40-50 GB, depending on how much data you have) or you can copy individual game saves. After you plug your USB stick in, just go to the game saves, press triangle and hit 'copy'. It will copy the save file to your stick.
Sweet, thanks! Girlfriend is using the TV that the old PS3 is hooked up to so I couldn't check yet. Now back to your regularly scheduled Kratos love. :D

I replayed through both games the other week. God of War 2 is so much better then the first. So many stupid block pushing puzzles with never ending enemies. Ugh. And Hades is still one of the most poorly designed levels in a game.

I also completed the game (well, both of them) a few weeks back. I had never played any of the GoW games but was thoroughly impressed! The whole game has this epic feel - CANT WAIT TILL TUESDAY!!

Man I played God of War II for almost six hours straight today in hopes of completing it before Tuesday but I think I'm getting burned out! And I still haven't finished! In the last two weeks it's been nothing but GOW1 and GOW2. Kratos is the ultimate badass though (and quite an asshole). How close am I to the end?

I'm so tired I don't remember what stage I'm on but here are the latest events that have occurred up to my save point:

1) Went through that stupid time warp wall to stop the old man from leaping to his death. Bashed his head in.

2) Got the warrior skull. Was sealed in a room with those asshole three-headed monsters who spawn little puppies. Later on the party was joined by lumbering oafs wielding those swinging spiky balls. It took about seven attempts for me to beat this damn part.

3) Left the room and got to a save point. Saved the game and decided to turn it off. The Kratos awesome has left me completely drained.

So far GOWII is one of my favorite games of all time. If Naughty Dog told me that GoWII was a main inspiration behind Uncharted 2 I would've believed him. The grand scale that Santa Monica managed to pull off on this PS2 game is a great achievement.

ACE 1991

PartlyCloudlike said:
Man I played God of War II for almost six hours straight today in hopes of completing it before Tuesday but I think I'm getting burned out! And I still haven't finished! In the last two weeks it's been nothing but GOW1 and GOW2. Kratos is the ultimate badass though (and quite an asshole). How close am I to the end?

I'm so tired I don't remember what stage I'm on but here are the latest events that have occurred up to my save point:

1) Went through that stupid time warp wall to stop the old man from leaping to his death. Bashed his head in.

2) Got the warrior skull. Was sealed in a room with those asshole three-headed monsters who spawn little puppies. Later on the party was joined by lumbering oafs wielding those swinging spiky balls. It took about seven attempts for me to beat this damn part.

3) Left the room and got to a save point. Saved the game and decided to turn it off. The Kratos awesome has left me completely drained.

So far GOWII is one of my favorite games of all time. If Naughty Dog told me that GoWII was a main inspiration behind Uncharted 2 I would've believed him. The grand scale that Santa Monica managed to pull off on this PS2 game is a great achievement.

You've got about 2, maybe 3 hours left.

Sidzed2

PartlyCloudlike said:

Hmm, from memory you have about 2 hours at most to go. Maaaaaaybe 3ish. You could certainly polish it off in one more decent night.

Oh, and it certainly is one of the best games of all time. It's one of those games which is dedicated to ensuring that the player is having fun for every second of its duration. There are a few patchy sections, but overall it is a masterclass of pacing.

G-Bus

Banned
Just beat GoW2 today. I forgot how awesome this game is. Tuesday can't come soon enough. Now, to take that day off work or not to. That is the question.

ACE 1991 said:
You've got about 2, maybe 3 hours left.

Thanks! Depending on how I do through the later stages, and knowing there will be at least one boss encounter, I plan to wrap it up tomorrow but won't be surprised if my task carries over to the next day. Either way I'll have GoWIII in my possession on Tuesday.

Sidzed2 said:
Hmm, from memory you have about 2 hours at most to go. Maaaaaaybe 3ish. You could certainly polish it off in one more decent night.

Oh, and it certainly is one of the best games of all time. It's one of those games which is dedicated to ensuring that the player is having fun for every second of its duration. There are a few patchy sections, but overall it is a masterclass of pacing.

Agreed. I almost never play games for six hours straight, and that includes multiplayer. But there's always something interesting presented to the user at every turn, and the puzzles are just interesting enough to keep my groans to a minimum (although playing in such a long stretch has had me say "damnit not another lever" on more than one occasion). Plus, it's a fun story. For example, I got a kick out of seeing old man
Icarus
...hadn't aged too well from his Nintendo days. ;)

god-of-war-ii-20060623050118778-000.jpg

I love this puzzle in GOW 2 :D

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Sidzed2 said:

Could not agree more. Isn't that Devilwillcry's avatar?

TheThunder said:
god-of-war-ii-20060623050118778-000.jpg

I love this puzzle in GOW 2 :D

That was a great puzzle...at first...

1) I try to pick up the loose body parts floating in the water thinking I could use those to weigh down the big button. No go.

2) I jump around flailing my athena's blade about wondering how the fuck to get past this. Then I see the grated lines that lead toward the middle button and think "oh if I drop the dead body in the water it'll flood the button and make it depress!

3) Drop the body in...body floats underneath...::doh:: I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but hey I passed it! :lol

Leotarius

I'm getting through God of War 2 right now.. I am still in amazement as to how much Santa Monica pumped out of the PS2. Looks better than Dante's in some parts. It also plays better, thats for sure.

kaskade

I finally got a copy. I'm probably half way through GoW. I would like to finish them both again before I start up GoW 3. With my copy arriving tomorrow I don't know if I'll be able to control myself. It's pretty amazing how well they hold up.

I got my platinum in both games this weekend. I picked this up for $20 at Best Buy and I couldnt be happier. Tomorrow is going to be so awesome. It just sucks that the BB where I preordered GoW III isnt doing a midnight opening.

kaskade

I just got to some glitch and a harpy keeps giving out orbs. :lol I have everything upgraded right now minus the undead power since I didn't get it yet.

Just finished GOW1 from the collection, fantastic game. Not sure when I will go back to it for Challenge Mode and the 5hr Trophy (that's all I have to get), as I want to crack on with GOW2.

Cool game though, wish I played it more before Xmas really went I actually bought it :) I had forgotten a fair amount from when I played it on PS2 back in the day.

Challenge of the Gods complete (easier than I thought it would be). Just gotta finish the game in under 5 hours now. Shouldn't be too hard..

I'm about to sell GoW3 so I'm forced to play through the collection, it's just every time I go to grab the Collection GoW3 is staring at me, teasing me.

slider

UnblessedSoul said:
You can now pre-order this from play.com for £18, it now has a release date of 30th April woot :D

Wow, that's cheaper than I expected. Shame the release is so belated; especially with 3 already out in the wild. I'm glad I picked it up locally. Shame it was about 2.5x £18. : (

I am loving God of War II in the collection. Unlike GOW1, I never picked this up on PS2 so it's all new to me, and I am very impressed. There are some nice enhancements in the controls and some of the new moves and weaponry are ace :D

I just got
my Icarus wings so I am in the huge underground area at the moment.

I've read there is a possible Trophy glitch with "Boss Batch 3" where it may or may not unlock. Apparently I am supposed to create a new save file (out of the 10 slots), but I am not sure where to do this, can anyone help?

JonnyBrad

I'm so fucking angry right now.

I bought GOW Collection so i could play these two pre God Of War 3. However i've made it thru to the "Courtyard of Atropos" on GOW2 and now the game is glitching at the crank ala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvoeVvWW6LI theres no way i can complete the game now as i can't do the puzzle and i only play off the one save.

So i either play through half the fucking game again and hope this time it doesn't glitch or just say fuck it and start GOW3.

Why didn't they fix this for the rerelease its a known bug!!!

ARGH!!

Top Bottom