• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of war combat system - ain't so good

I've finally rented this game and it's not exactly living up to all the kissass people have been throwing at it. Anyways, I find that GoW suffers from something I like to call "NO HITTY SYNDROME".

You know final fight? When you hit a guy, there's a big WHACK, they have a momentary damage animation, maybe move back, they pause, and theres an "impact" sprite letting you know that you hit him. They're at least stunned for the duration of the hit.

You know street fighter? When you hit a guy, there's a big WHACK, they have a momentary damage animation, maybe move back, they pause, and theres an "impact" sprite letting you know that you hit him. They're at least stunned for the duration of the hit.

You know dynasty warriors? When you hit a guy, there's a big WHACK, they have a momentary damage animation, maybe move back, they pause, and theres an "impact" sprite letting you know that you hit him. They're at least stunned for the duration of the hit.

You know virtua fighter, when you throw a punch while your opponent is blocking? There's barely a sound (if any, as i recall), and they just kind of bob back. There's no tactile response, not much indicating that the hit did or didn't land. You'd think even if a guy is blocking, my attack would rebound off of him, there'd be a thump, or something.

That's what GoW feels like. Pretty much the only thing letting me know that the enemy is being damaged is the combo meter. There's no "oomph" to the combat, I don't feel like I'm damaging them, I just do combos until "O" appears over their heads and move in for the kill. I think the combat is dissapointing because of this, so many animations but it's not really satisfying to HIT the opponent.

So fuck you all, this game isn't as good as people have hyped it up to be. There, I said it.

sly

Banned
C-Warrior a.k.a Ninja Gaiden is still no longer da best in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.................

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
/me turns on the c- warrior symbol

edit:

"You know virtua fighter, when you throw a punch while your opponent is blocking? There's barely a sound (if any, as i recall), and they just kind of bob back. There's no tactile response, not much indicating that the hit did or didn't land, and there's nothing really showing if a move is swishing or not."

uh, guards in vf are very obvious looking and depending on the it being blocked there are different animations.

sp0rsk said:
"You know virtua fighter, when you throw a punch while your opponent is blocking? There's barely a sound (if any, as i recall), and they just kind of bob back. There's no tactile response, not much indicating that the hit did or didn't land, and there's nothing really showing if a move is swishing or not."

uh, guards in vf are very obvious looking and depending on the it being blocked there are different animations.

have one guy gaurd and the other guy mash punch, there's barely shit going on.

ge-man

That's reminds me, I hope they tone down the impact in the new Zelda. Wind Waker over did it. While it looked cool and very anime like, you felt like a you're in a slide show in battles featuring a several enemies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Go Go Ackman! said:
have one guy gaurd and the other guy mash punch, there's barely shit going on.
yeah youre guarding a jab, what is it supposed to look like? this isnt dbz duder.

I rented GoW last weekend, and loved every second of it. I do understand what you mean about the hit animations though. Also, the game had a LOT of similarities to Ninja Gaiden.

I definitely would'nt mind a next gen GoW 2 though, thats for sure.

newsguy

God of war combat system - ain't so good
ajcpic14.jpg

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
NO HITTY SYNDROME??

What the hell?

Have you not knocked an enemy on there ass?

Have you not knocked an enemy up in the air?

Have you not grabbed an enemy?

Is your volume turned down?

You want the attack on a group of enemies to bounce away if even just one is blocking? That'd make some sequences absolutely frustrating to get through
second-to-last boss sequence, anyone?

Besides, if an enemy is blocking, there are attacks you can use to milk that. Launchers work wonders when they're turtling.

I don't understand the no "whack" thing you talk about, but God of War's combat is shallow, button mash friendly, and unorganized.

As in, you do the cool moves in GoW not to survive, but just because you get bored of mashing square. This is mostly due to the game's amazingly easy difficulty.

If anything, I disagree with the whole "whack" argument. God of War is all flash in it's combat, very visceral and pleasing.

The problem is it lacks substance to superior games like Devil May Cry 3 and Ninja Gaiden.

C-warrior strikes again!

Bitches! beware11!11

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I kinda agree. It's a bit like Demon Stone (though not nearly as bad) in that it doesn't feel like you're fighting enemies, but paper.

Not to mention the combo system was boring and completely wasted on this game (at least on Normal level, where only one enemy actually required a specific combo to kill.)

Top Bottom