• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

Sounds good I guess, but I'm highly skeptical of this more "grounded" approach after Uncharted 4. I hope it doesn't suffer from the same pacing issues that game did. Also, combat looks like it's changed for the worse and it wasn't even all that great to begin with. (looks like Ryse now)

Not sure how to feel about crafting and RPG elements. That can go either way really.

After the poor Scalebound showing Nier of all things is all we have left

Scalebound cuts so deep.

I was one of the people on this site who was staunchly against bringing Kratos back. But I have nothing but enormous credit to the Santa Monica team - they not only brought him back, but they made me care about him for the first time.

What an incredible and unexpected revival.

While the E3 demo was a quieter, more character-driven look at the game, Barlog assured me that the series isn’t shrugging off its bombastic, cinematic roots. The reason they didn’t focus the E3 demo on a huge, spectacle-filled set piece is that it's a given that the game will have those. Barlog and Sony Santa Monica have mastered those moments, so with this demo, they wanted to surprise fans and non-fans of the series with the unexpected.
Thank the Gods.

Because while what was shown certainly piqued my interest it really didn't look to have the moment to moment heart or soul of God of War. That fast, sweeping combat and crowd control and working the dynamics of several enemy types to your advantage. The EPIC scale of the levels and combat and boss battles. THAT is what Kratos brings to the table.

If they want to flesh out other areas and bring new things to the table, fine, as long as interactivity and play is front and center of the game I'm totally in.

could have improved on that instead of steering off completely.
I mean they did. The chains gameplay was a hundred times deeper between the first game and he most recent

But the problem was, it still felt the same. A big part of needing to reboot has been abandoning the chains IMO. If they can invest the level of complexity that went into the chains into other areas of combat it could be really special

That is one thing that potentially worries me though. The other weapons just never felt anywhere as good as chains

Bishop89

Of course there will be the spectacle. 😎 and that quote sounds great.

Only concern is the combat because it doesn't look hack n slashy, it looks similar to ryse :/

This went from being "Yeah, another God of War with rage filled Kratos acting like a fool. I'll buy it and enjoy playing through it but I will be glaring at Kratos the whole time" to "PUT ALL OF THIS INTO MY VEINS NOW!!!".

I detested Kratos and did not want him in. Now, I actually look forward to playing as him.

Blobbers

For some reason my mind is rejecting almost every single thing I've read in the OP and seen in the demo. GoW is one of my favorite franchises, I've replayed the trilogy a countless times. I guess I always thought the reimagining aspect with God of War 4 would be reserved for the battle system and the upgrade system. This +50 and RPG stuff just reminds me of other games they were tacked on, like Tomb Raider. I want no nonesense balls to the wall action. I hope most o fthe game is the grown up kid wrecking the shit out of Valhalla or Sovengarde or whatever and killing every god that stands in his way, which is every single god and mythical creature.

I am excited for the extended demo. Hope they show it to the public. I wanna trust the Balrog

Strike

Which is?
Gow2-2.jpg

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I know I'm in the minority but I hate that kid. It's going to be a long wait but this will be the first GOW I skip day 1 and wait for a sale. I'm a little bummed out by this tbh.

ironcreed

Banned
"Kratos, dear. I need you to babysit tonight while I go and do some shopping."

tumblr_o8qry44M2B1u10jf6o1_500.gif

That will make any man grow a beard and settle down. Even a demigod.

FelipeMGM

Its a sequel it takes place after gow(didn't say how many years)

Yea I read Marty write up about that, but Im still not sure lol

Would like to hear from Barlog's mouth, did he talked about on interviews? The way his PS Blog post is written does not sound like a sequel at all, the tweets the Playstation account has been putting about it also doesnt set up as a sequel

Im intrigued

Acorn

Gotta echo what the giant bomb guys said. I'm interested in God of War again, kudos to them for taking a risk instead of coasting like they could have.

The God

This all sounds really good, but I wish they'd talk more about the combat since it seems to have changed so much. Idk if I dig the slower paced fighting.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So if we're being honest, they're pulling a Nuts and Bolts. Different game using the God of War franchise name.

I'm sure it should still be a good game, but let's be completely honest here, this is not a "traditional" God of War game. Again, I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now. I loved Nuts and Bolts.

"Kratos believes that being a god is a disease, and that rage is a side effect of that disease, and he’s terrified that he’s passed it on to his son.”

Fantastic!

Gotta echo what the giant bomb guys said. I'm interested in God of War again, kudos to them for taking a risk instead of coasting like they could have.

Like I mentioned in the RE7 game, both GoW and RE reached a point where they were so fucking over the top that it was pointless to keep going in that direction. How can SSM really top the insanity that they did with GoW3? How could Capcom really top all the over the top sequences in RE6? The best thing that both franchises could do is dial things down considerably.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
So instead of a an action beat em up game that we're seeing in less and less of, we get what seems to be just another modern third person action game.

Im hoping they change their minds.

Also why is making a game like so many other games out right now being considered a risk?

I really like the concept of this game. It's weird how this is called GOW though. It's as if they made a new IP and just put in someone that looks like Kratos as the main character so they could call it GOW. I guess I don't understand why this isn't just a new IP.

Because it seems genuine and important to the team (specifically Barlog) that the prior perceptions of Kratos and the development of his character over the course of the last 6 games is something they are building upon with this game. The fact that we've only known Kratos as this angry, murderous, raging asshole over the course of the last 10 years might make the impact of the story they are trying to tell that much greater. I remember when (iirc) Giant Bomb was having a discussion on how you would make a new Duke Nukem in 2011 (or whenever Forever finally came out) and they thought the only way you could pull if off is if the developers were self-aware and really showed what an aging Duke would really be like in modern gaming. This sort of sounds like we are getting with Kratos here, in a weird way. We've had 6 games of the same formula. I love the series, but I am 100% fine with them trying something new with it. You can absolutely still have some of the hallmarks of the series (the brutal, satisfying combat, the spectacle and set pieces) within the kind of game Barlog is describing with this new entry. Maybe they won't pull it off, but the game was just revealed less than 24 hours ago, I'm not, right now, going to shit on them for trying.

ironcreed

Banned
"Kratos believes that being a god is a disease, and that rage is a side effect of that disease, and he’s terrified that he’s passed it on to his son.”

Fantastic!

The man has... seen things. Imagine carrying such a load while trying to start a new life far away and raise a son.

FoxSpirit

I hope Kratos will be less of a dick in this one. In GoW3 he was insufferable and brought on the end of the world because fuck mankind, I need my revenge.

Menitta

No loading screens should be a point on the back of a box.

I'm so much more interested in GoW now that it doesn't have the old combat system. I hated it before.

melkier33

Be legit if the old chain blades were a secret hidden item, and we crafted a new weapon from them. Maybe even just use them not sure if it would fit very well.

I'm sure it should still be a good game, but let's be completely honest here, this is not a "traditional" God of War game. Again, I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now. I loved Nuts and Bolts.

Good. The last time they made one of those, the response was tepid because the path had been trodden thin.

They needed to veer off in a new direction, and they've nailed it so far.

TalonJH

Says you can control the camera right there in the article. Though it remains to be seen to what degree.
They mean that the right stick now turns.i t won't change the perspective. Mentioning this is important because traditionally the camera is controlled by the scene in GoW games.

sn00zer

Everything about this (minus crafting) sounds amazing. So so glad they mixed up everything rather than doing God of War Norse and calling it a day.

Top Bottom