• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War has gone gold

Manus

Lackluster and repetitive combat, but 8.5 out of 10? Seems weird.

Weren't people praising the change in the combat because the other God of War games had lackluster and dull combat? This combat looks terrible. Especially if this game is supposed to be over 25 hours.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I can totally balance my family, guitar, MLB The Show, and God Of War... right?

Use your guitar (axe) as a weapon, teach your son/daughter to fight like a god, have your sig. other help you with stuff, and .. as much as I love MLB, I can’t find a tie in.

Weren't people praising the change in the combat because the other God of War games had lackluster and dull combat? This combat looks terrible. Especially if this game is supposed to be over 25 hours.
That reviewer said he beat it in 15 hours, if he's being honest.
As someone that's heavily into action games the new one has left me unimpressed. Solid animation work though.

DonF

I believe that this game´s harder difficulty will be the real game. Its a mainstream game, normal will be kinda easy and flashy.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I believe that this game´s harder difficulty will be the real game. Its a mainstream game, normal will be kinda easy and flashy.
Thats how it was with pervious GOW games. Sure the actual combat was never deep or as complex as DMC or NG but if you play GOW in hardest difficulty you will see how clever those enemy replacements are. It truly becomes like puzzles of which enemy you go after first or keep right enemy alive to use its abilities against others. I'm still skeptical about this GOW but if they give me that and crazy puzzles like Pandora shrine like in first game I will be happy.

Last edited:

DonF

A fair warning about reviews, from SkillUp.
Now I'm not looking forward for the reviews. Just the scores.

Bryank75

Banned

LOL, the guy hates Dark Souls and the review is very inaccurate in many places. He is also playing on the easiest difficulty if that is him in footage.Although many say it's all 4chan leaked footage with his logo pasted over it.
I've seen the trophy list, first fight and a few other bits and pieces... hype is justified imo.

Trogdor1123

Got this for 50 on a preorder, hope it's worth it. Might cruise through it and then trade it in to minimize any risk...

I hate my own post lol. Wtf... Just enjoy the damn game!

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

A fair warning about reviews, from SkillUp.
Now I'm not looking forward for the reviews. Just the scores.

That's one thing that worries me with watching any footage or viewing Kotaku. Is that the main images they show are typically spoil heavy images. I've seen Kotaku outright spoil things in their article title.
That video makes it sound like there's a lot of information we don't know yet. I get the gist of this game, but knowing how I played through the original series without something being spoiled was worth the experience.

I'll probably head to GameStop on my lunch break and pick it up on the 20th.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
I have this tiny hope that all of the footage that we've seen in this game up to now was just for the tutorial/opening stage. Then at the end of the first level, the son dies and Kratos' axe breaks. Then the camera cuts back and he pulls out the Blades of Chaos/Athena and it's classic GoW. Then the rest of the game would be a revenge story.

Anyways, I'll probably pick this up, but I would be lying if I said I liked the look of the new combat. Still, as long as the spectacle is still there, it's probably at least worth a playthrough.

Codes 208

Schreier and Barlog have both said that review isn't legit.
Ok, maybe in this context it means nothing, but it's still a fairly accurate criticism in general that many published reviewers seem to inflate their scores or drop them based on a personal non-issue (Like polygon, gamespot and IGN) which i expect to see with GoW

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Ok, maybe in this context it means nothing, but it's still a fairly accurate criticism in general that many published reviewers seem to inflate their scores or drop them based on a personal non-issue (Like polygon, gamespot and IGN) which i expect to see with GoW

In the current socio-political climate, nothing would suprise me.

Phear

The Axe can't be everything. Every God of War Had at least some Diversity through different weapons. I kind of hope and bet that at least you'll get the Blades of Chaos Back at the end of the Game and can use them for the second playthrough. 50 hours (or 100 with 2 playthroughs) Just Axe would be a huge bummer.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
The Axe can't be everything. Every God of War Had at least some Diversity through different weapons. I kind of hope and bet that at least you'll get the Blades of Chaos Back at the end of the Game and can use them for the second playthrough. 50 hours (or 100 with 2 playthroughs) Just Axe would be a huge bummer.

:) Don't worry!

Ar¢tos

As long as we can freely use other weapons/weapon types/dmg type, unlike what Ascension did. I really hated how I was forced to change to another weapon with another element to kill one enemy then switch again for another, or I would have to be there bashing the guy for hours because it wasn't the dmg type he was weak to.
I can sort of accept something like that for some boss fights, but not groups of general enemies.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

Early reviews have stated-

There are other weapons

Reviews are releasing now, IGN gave it a 10/10. Anyone making the thread?

Last edited:

Maxximus

Neo Member
I live for PS4 exclusives. It's time to dust off the PS4, put Horizon Zero Dawn back in its case, and put a dust cover on the Switch. I can't wait for this new adventure.

Top Bottom