• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Let me just say that Kratos's ingame model is incredible! I'll try to take some closeup shots to show off the armor and bare skin. Very well done.

Erebus

I really enjoyed the demo!:D

Not many things have changed from GoWII but that's not necessarily bad. Graphics are awesome, lighting is amazing (I love how Kratos' blades illuminate the surroundings) and most textures are highly detailed. My only problem is the frame rate that dips quite often, hopefully by the time the game comes out they will have fix it though.

Wish the demo was a bit longer.:lol

I must admit, the demo got me pumped for the GoW HD collection.:D

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Gamestops in Boston are so slow, called 2 of them and they do not even know what I am talking about.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
- Kratos model is incredibly detailed and gets covered in blood.
- The lighting effects are ZOMG category. Needs some Naughty Dog magic tho to give the whole visual a little bit more depth.
- The handycam effect when camera follows Kratos from behind si a welcome addition. Perhaps a bit overdone.
- Plenty use of Depth of Field, especially during QTE. Should be used even more.
- Animations look just as good as like the PS2 versions. This is not a bad thing, but could be improved.
- IQ is nearly perfect.
- Frame rate is pretty much fine and not annoyingly fluctuating between 60fps and 30fps (and no tearing AT ALL). The only instance when it skyrocked to 60 is after you shoot dawn Elios and the Titan almost stomps on you. They should stick to 30fps IMO AND add motion blur. There is NONE, which is a pity.
- About the frame rate... there is some minimal constant stuttering going on a la Trine. Me don't like this at all. Better be fixed.
- Textures are ok. Not Uncharted 2 level but not ugly either.
- Controls need to be simplified a bit. There is no point in having to press R1 to hold up Elios head and then having to operate the analog stick to direct the light. Just have it so that Kratos automatically rises his arm and points when operating on the right analog stick.

TTP said:
- Kratos model is incredibly detailed and gets covered in blood.
- The lighting effects are ZOMG category. Needs some Naughty Dog magic tho to give the whole visual a little bit more depth.
- The handycam effect when camera follows Kratos from behind si a welcome addition. Perhaps a bit overdone.
- Plenty use of Depth of Field, especially during QTE. Should be used even more.
- Animations look just as good as like the PS2 versions. This is not a bad thing, but could be improved.
- IQ is nearly perfect.
- Frame rate is pretty much fine and not annoyingly fluctuating between 60fps and 30fps (and no tearing AT ALL). The only instance when it skyrocked to 60 is after you shoot dawn Elios and the Titan almost stomps on you. They should stick to 30fps IMO AND add motion plus. There is NONE, which is a pity.
- About the frame rate... there is some minimal constant stuttering going on a la Trine. Me don't like this at all. Better be fixed.
- Textures are ok. Not Uncharted 2 level but not ugly either.
- Controls need to be simplified a bit. There is no point in having to press R1 to hold up Elios head and then having to operate the analog stick to direct the light. Just have it so that Kratos automatically rises his arm and points when operating on the right analog stick.

Under "IQ is nearly perfect" do you mean that there are no jaggies and textures aren't blurry (AF?)?

Pachimari

Goldrusher said:
Questions:

- is this a level from the final game ? or a special one-off level for the demo ?
- how long is the demo ?

- The level will be in the final game, though the build is not final.
- The demo is apparently 20 minutes long, I have only played 6 minutes of it so far.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Goldrusher said:
Questions:

- is this a level from the final game ? or a special one-off level for the demo ?
- how long is the demo ?

- It's exactly the E3 demo, from Kratos close up to Kratos vs Titan cliffhanger.
- It's "ok long" for a demo.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Took some quick photos for others that haven't downloaded and played yet.

4059499290_bf186ecf2f.jpg

4058755997_4474ee7b54.jpg

4058755905_b33279703d.jpg

4059499954_853a4042b5.jpg

4059499866_43b174a9b7.jpg

4058755629_64d48502f8.jpg

4059499652_9312d64e4e.jpg

4059499552_6b75e2c0a9.jpg

4059499436_02e176a25b.jpg

4059499210_fe8e139ce8.jpg

^^Painting come to life, mothafuckaz!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Forgot to add some some bits.

- During QTE, button prompts appear on the side of the screen corresponding the respective button position on the controller (Triangle appears in the upper part, Circle in the right one and so on). This is great cos it allows to actually focus on the action without having to actually look at the buttons.
- Those little pauses that occur when hitting someone are probably to long than they used to. I'm not sure, but they definitely feel wrong, somehow.

C'moooon TTP, I know you're ecstatic. You need to show it a bit more.

I'm very pleased about it considering it's the E3 build or close to it. But they need to fix the stuttering. Is very annoying. And add motion blur. Just add it, ok. Thanks.

Under "IQ is nearly perfect" do you mean that there are no jaggies and textures aren't blurry (AF?)?

Basically, yeah. I can see some flickering along Kratos outline and on the crates, tho.

Snowball

Banned
Are the codes unique or sharable as the PSN games?
I'm looking for a hero that give me the code for the demo :I
Respect.

Erebus

TTP said:
- Those little pauses that occur when hitting someone are probably to long than they used to. I'm not sure, but they definitely feel wrong, somehow.
Noticed that as well but I thought they did it on purpose for people who suck at playing. :lol Don't forget that it's the E3 2009 demo after all.

jett

D-Member
TTP said:
- Frame rate is pretty much fine and not annoyingly fluctuating between 60fps and 30fps (and no tearing AT ALL). The only instance when it skyrocked to 60 is after you shoot dawn Elios and the Titan almost stomps on you. They should stick to 30fps IMO AND add motion plus. There is NONE, which is a pity.

I don't get it. Is it 30 or 60 or what?

gogogow

I can't believe Santa Monica still haven't fixed the quick time event finishing moves.

Kratos and the enemy still rotates to a fixed position and then starts the quick time event.
Why can't they keep it at the angle at the moment you grab the enemy?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
dragonflys545 said:
The first picture:lol Anyway it's only a demo.
Yup...left it in for the heck of it. Caught them off-guard while they were running all over the place I guess.
Also, I LOVE how your weapons lights up the stage.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gogogow said:
harpies controls are difficult to remember, why not make it as simple as jump and grab like Uncharted?

Yep. I'd add that to the list of control simplifications I was referring to in my previous post about helios' head.

BeeDog

gogogow said:
I can't believe Santa Monica still haven't fixed the quick time event finishing moves.

Kratos and the enemy still rotates to a fixed position and then starts the quick time event.
Why can't they keep it at the angle at the moment you grab the enemy?

It's obviously trickery, they want to stage the action at their leisure. They probably save some work when the camera is static, and since they also want to show off the cool stuff in the QTE event they simply rotate the models instead of the camera.

gogogow

BeeDog said:
It's obviously trickery, they want to stage the action at their leisure. They probably save some work when the camera is static, and since they also want to show off the cool stuff in the QTE event they simply rotate the models instead of the camera.
Better yet, let the player control/rotate the camera. Because as it is, the finishing moves gets old and fast. It just looks odd when kratos and enemy is rotating.

SamBishop

Banned
Ah, excellent, you guys will finally have a chance to check this out. It really is a great little slice of the full game, and lets you ride enemies, try out the new grapple system, weapon switching and all the base mechanics. Glad to see Sony reneged on their original decision to not release the E3 luv to the public; it 's a great way to see how things have come along.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jett said:
I don't get it. Is it 30 or 60 or what?

In between I suppose, with spikes. What sticks out more is the odd stuttering when the scenery moves. That really detracts from the whole smoothness.

BeeDog

gogogow said:
Better yet, let the player control/rotate the camera. Because as it is, the finishing moves gets old and fast. It just looks odd when kratos and enemy is rotating.

You should forget about that. God of War is obviously a setpiece game, and they choose to frame every shot with a static camera; not having a movable camera saves them work when they don't need to model every part of the surrounding environment, while also showing stuff exactly as they intend. It's part of the GoW formula, deal with it. ;p

BeeDog

TTP said:
In between I suppose, with spikes. What sticks out more is the odd stuttering when the scenery moves. That really detracts from the whole smoothness.

Hmm, the only stutters I got were some semi-major ones inbetween the bigger areas (for example, after you leave the cave and use the wings to glide to the "titan" area). Kratos froze for a split second, then the game continued on like usual. Is this what you mean?

gogogow

BeeDog said:
You should forget about that. God of War is obviously a setpiece game, and they choose to frame every shot with a static camera; not having a movable camera saves them work when they don't need to model every part of the surrounding environment, while also showing stuff exactly as they intend. It's part of the GoW formula, deal with it. ;p
Well, yeah, I doubt they would change it. It's already like this since the first one, but still I thought for a "nextgen" (current gen) game they could come up with something new and better, but instead used the old and easy method.

obaidr said:
4059499436_02e176a25b.jpg
Holy fucking shit. Shit got real. This looks much better then painting, this looks fucking real life. Damn i love my PS3 right now :D

reminds me of the Medusa section of Clash of the Titans, for some reason. :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SamBishop said:
Ah, excellent, you guys will finally have a chance to check this out. It really is a great little slice of the full game, and lets you ride enemies, try out the new grapple system, weapon switching and all the base mechanics. Glad to see Sony reneged on their original decision to not release the E3 luv to the public; it 's a great way to see how things have come along.

<3

Negaiido

Hmm after playing Uncharted 2 a lot, the controls of GOW3 just suck. Nothing seems logical, also the second stick(R3) is so annoying. They should have done rolling with O. Guess I just have to get use to normal God of War controls.

dchavez

gogogow said:
Well, yeah, I doubt they would change it. It's already like this since the first one, but still I thought for a "nextgen" (current gen) game they could come up with something new and better, but instead used the old and easy method.

Sony Santa Monica are easily in the top 5 game devs in the industry. I assure you that nothing they do on the PS3 is "easy". The way they utilise a spline-based camera is also highly cinematic, so yeah, I reckon it's a 'deal with it' issue.

beast786

SamBishop said:

BEYOND !!!!!

How much improvement between the old and new version?

Den_John

Wonderful AA, impressive lightning, high-res textures, ...

The only thing that was disappointing for me: March 2010 at the end of the demo

htsdon.jpg

BeeDog

gogogow said:

Well, I don't necessarily agree with you, but let me put it like this; at least you don't have to worry about having to handle a shitty camera like the one in Ninja Gaiden.

Top Bottom