• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

mr_nothin

Banned
Play in SD so my impressions are pretty limited. (You really NEED HD this gen to fully experience these games). I can tell the graphics would be OMG AWESOME in HD. Kratos model is like the best model I've seen this gen, so detailed.

The demo was pretty good. It was Ok, it's GOW. Thats the best way I can describe it. I'm hyped though. Want to play in HD with surround sound when I play it again. I wont touch the demo again until I'm able to do so.

gogogow

BeeDog said:
Well, I don't necessarily agree with you, but let me put it like this; at least you don't have to worry about having to handle a shitty camera like the one in Ninja Gaiden.
I'm just talking about the quick time event moment, not the camera during the majority of the game. I have no problems with fixed camera viewpoints a la DMC/classic RE games.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
OMFG. Jaffe, I know you're maintaining radio silence and all but consider your haters officially SILENCED. This game will sell 5mil at least, brutal stuff people are gonna eat it all up. Love the sound when you hit the ground, amazing bass! The music somehow reminds me of Lost in some parts.

Would it be too much to ask for different QTE finishing moves for each weapon? Replay value would go way up then :D

Kaako

Felium Defensor
More quick pics:

4058869771_c087b3b04a.jpg

4059614494_284a0e9782.jpg

4059614568_4407c3d587.jpg

4058869973_05f76e2bf9.jpg

4058870045_22d5dd5ea4.jpg

4059614784_6a662ff544.jpg

Sorry for the crappy lighting...I was using 1 hand for camera and 1 hand for controller.

gogogow

dchavez said:
Sony Santa Monica are easily in the top 5 game devs in the industry. I assure you that nothing they do on the PS3 is "easy". The way they utilise a spline-based camera is also highly cinematic, so yeah, I reckon it's a 'deal with it' issue.
Easy as in using the exact same system as in GOW 1, 2, COO. It's not a game breaking thing, but it just looks weird when the characters are rotating.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Demo was great. Delivers. Didn't notice stuttering and the frame rata is solid most of the time.

Wario shot has nice facepalm crop. Someone do the honors.

Volcynika

Nice looking game, and runs nice.

Still don't have any pull towards this, I just kinda fell out of it after beating the first game, maybe I'll change my mind closer to release, but right now, I'll just kinda stay the course and see if anything changes.

lupinko

Negaiido said:
Hmm after playing Uncharted 2 a lot, the controls of GOW3 just suck. Nothing seems logical, also the second stick(R3) is so annoying. They should have done rolling with O. Guess I just have to get use to normal God of War controls.

I like how you are comparing apples and pot roast.

Zophar

Teetris said:
OMFG. Jaffe, I know you're maintaining radio silence and all but consider your haters officially SILENCED. This game will sell 5mil at least, brutal stuff people are gonna eat it all up. Love the sound when you hit the ground, amazing bass! The music somehow reminds me of Lost in some parts.

Would it be too much to ask for different QTE finishing moves for each weapon? Replay value would go way up then :D
Jaffe hasn't been involved with GOW since the first one.

beast786

1st: I hope they slow down QTE action parts. Not because they are hard. But because i really want to fully enjoy each of those hits.

2nd: I cant even imagine the Moving titans part.

I don't enjoy the new way that QTEs display on the sides of the screen - on a bigger TV, it makes them easier to miss. I appreciate the reasoning behind it, but it's definitely not the best interface for those actions - especially since the O to initiate is still hovering around an enemy's head.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Zophar said:
Jaffe hasn't been involved with GOW since the first one.
Yeah I meant the painting stuff. It doesn't stop looking amazing, you really gotta play this on a 50+ inch TV.

badcrumble said:
I don't enjoy the new way that QTEs display on the sides of the screen - on a bigger TV, it makes them easier to miss. I appreciate the reasoning behind it, but it's definitely not the best interface for those actions - especially since the O to initiate is still hovering around an enemy's head.
Sorta agree with this, had to try the first QTE several times.

Zanosuke

After playing through the demo three times, and knowing that the final release will look even more amazing, well that makes me feel all warm inside =)

I do wonder if they will tone down the amount of QTE's...

Maybe it's just me, but i felt like Superman in the final flight sequence :D

KZObsessed

Visuals were better than I thought. Wasn't feeling the screens/vids from this build at E3 but in person it looks very impressive. Love the fact there's hardly any aliasing at all. HATE aliasing so much.

beast786

badcrumble said:

I will have to get used to it. But for the long run its much much better because you dont even have to know which button just the blick of the placment and you will be on it. Hence you will then be able to concentrate on the action in the middle without any QTE interference.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I think the new QTE layout is just something you have to get used to, I had problems the first time too but after that it was smooth sailing

FoxSpirit

Yeah, this game looks absolutely fantastic. Gameplay is as usual but in all new glory... and much more gory. Oh, and more enemies. And more epic.

Can't wait for the full release :D

SamBishop

Banned
Kagari said:

Right back atcha!

beast786 said:
BEYOND !!!!!

How much improvement between the old and new version?

BEAAAAST! BEYOOOOND!!!!!!

I'm not sure; I haven't been able to grab the demo yet. I'm too busy dying of Swine Flu or whatever the hell this is. Hopefully I'll be on the mend this weekend enough to give it a go. It does definitely look improved, but then the E3 build was already really polished over the stuff I saw at the beginning of the year anyway. I'm genuinely psyched to see what March will bring in terms of further polish. Santa Monica is crazy game dev talent central as far as I'm concerned.

For those of you playing, make sure you really goof around with swapping out weapons mid-combo; mix up juggles, the ability to use the Blades to pull yourself up/down to enemies and use all four face buttons for the new grapple system. Try using the bow to light an enemy on fire, then grab 'em and turn them into a battering ram and watch the fire spread to the rest of a group.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
SamBishop said:
Right back atcha!

BEAAAAST! BEYOOOOND!!!!!!

I'm not sure; I haven't been able to grab the demo yet. I'm too busy dying of Swine Flu or whatever the hell this is. Hopefully I'll be on the mend this weekend enough to give it a go. It does definitely look improved, but then the E3 build was already really polished over the stuff I saw at the beginning of the year anyway. I'm genuinely psyched to see what March will bring in terms of further polish. Santa Monica is crazy game dev talent central as far as I'm concerned.

For those of you playing, make sure you really goof around with swapping out weapons mid-combo; mix up juggles, the ability to use the Blades to pull yourself up/down to enemies and use all four face buttons for the new grapple system. Try using the bow to light an enemy on fire, then grab 'em and turn them into a battering ram and watch the fire spread to the rest of a group.
:D

I tried mixing it up and switching weapons mid combo...sick stuff. Grapple system is awesome as well. I also like how Kratos' dash/roll animation changes depending on the weapon. Roll with Blazes and Dash forward with lion heads.

SamBishop

Banned
Kaako said:
:D

I tried mixing it up and switching weapons mid combo...sick stuff. Grapple system is awesome as well. I also like how Kratos' dash/roll animation changes depending on the weapon. Roll with Blazes and Dash forward with lion heads.

Yeah, I dig that the pacing and reach changes depending on what you're wielding, too. It's nothing huge, but the quick swap is a nice touch, for sure.

Kagari said:
LOL, wow, that ending damn you! What a tease.

I'm guessing it still ends right before the big impact? It really is a big cliffhanger. If that's the kind of (literal) momentum the game's going to have, it's going to be pure, balls-out digital testosterone.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SamBishop said:
I'm guessing it still ends right before the big impact? It really is a big cliffhanger. If that's the kind of (literal) momentum the game's going to have, it's going to be pure, balls-out digital testosterone.

Yeah, you fly out of this huge tunnel and it ends right as Kratos is about to strike the titan.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The ending is a tease but at least you feel very satisfied with the demo for the most part. Lots of good stuff in the demo to leave you wanting more, in a good way

Awesome demo. I wish I had never watched gameplay videos from E3 because the entire demo seemed very familiar to me while playing it.

demolitio

DIrtyWeasel said:
Awesome demo. I wish I had never watched gameplay videos from E3 because the entire demo seemed very familiar to me while playing it.
Same here. It sucked knowing what was coming around the corner.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DIrtyWeasel said:

Glad I only saw the small segment during Sony's conference.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I need to upgrade to cable internet. Download faster!!! All these impressions are making me insane with anticipation

SamBishop

Banned
DIrtyWeasel said:

I just keep imagining your avatar is saying this, and now I feel like I need to know what's going on news-wise here in the Bay Area.

But yeah, I know the feeling. I think they'd shown off that section three or four times by the time I finally went hands-on and pretty much knew exactly what to do from start to finish. Hence the goofing around with all the combo stuff. I think at one point I tried to get through the whole thing without taking a single hit. I say it's time for new preview code!

Facism

Listening to Helios gurgle as his head leaves his body.

Impressed at how clean the textures and lighting is. It's the same old GoW gameplay, so i'm not complaining. Lovely feedback from weapon hits, like that spiltsecond pause as a hit lands. Conveys an impact rather than a sharp weapon cutting through things with ease.

DIrtyWeasel said:

But it's nice that they aren't showing too much of the game though. I would love a new level in the demo, but it's better to discover it all while playing.

Negaiido

lupinko said:
I like how you are comparing apples and pot roast.

I know U2 and GOW3 are total different games, but still I dont really like the controls and also the camera sucks :O

Graphics: U2 >> GOW2 ;)

Top Bottom