• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | Review Thread

What score do you predict God of War Ragnarök will receive?

• 0-10%

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 20-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 50-60%

• 60-70%

• 70-80%

• 80-85%

• 85-90%

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • 95%-99%

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • 100%

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thirty7ven

Banned
Hey, this game looks to be a ton of fun. So again, I don’t want to throw shade at the game. I do want to hold Sony accountable for their messaging and general decision making.
We should be playing PS5 games by now. They’ve said as much.

Sure but COVID happened and so far only Sony has delivered next gen exclusives. At the end of the day great games are great games and it seems suspiciously unfair that Sony is held to a different standard on handpicked issues.

Also Plague Rat Requiem is next gen only sure, but the game is a basic sequel to the first one and it’s running at 30 FPS while not looking better than say Horizon FW which is a cross gen game. Had a bunch of people calling it goty though, some of the same people then try to dog Ragnarok for not being a revolutionary sequel… it’s all console war narrative and you know it.

Moses85

I am ready.
we all do home alone 2 GIF

Even this game was PS5 only Ragnarök still be mostly about improving gameplay and formula from original 2018 game, the only thing PS5 only version do is more eye candy graphics.

If you expecting play vastly different game than original game yes you would be disappointed, they spend time developing new combat of course its sequel going to be about improving that new gameplay style not make entirely new game.
I honestly would like to know if there are game franchises out there that changed drastically from one game to another. I can really only remember the jump from Old GOW and 2018 GOW. It can't have been a reasonable expectation to have GOWR be as drastic a change as old GOW to 2018 GOW, right?

It will drop to 90 based on the usual suspects who will shift the Metacritic balance that always review late intentionally. Maybe 91.

Far too late for that, its already at 116 reviews at best it drops to a 93, if no one else gives it a 9 or 10

GoW 2018 only got 118 reviews and Horizon only got 126, it would have to get a slew of mixed reviews to drop and thats not gonna happen now

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I honestly would like to know if there are game franchises out there that changed drastically from one game to another. I can really only remember the jump from Old GOW and 2018 GOW. It can't have been a reasonable expectation to have GOWR be as drastic a change as old GOW to 2018 GOW, right?
There was also RE4. The point is devs spend lot of time making the new combat and people suddenly expecting abandon that make entire new combat for direct sequel?

I had some issues with GOW 2018 like lack of enemy/boss variety but I really liked core combat and I wanted the sequel improve up on that, I mean am I alone on this?

Edit: I hope people don’t get disappointed when FFVIIRiberth use improve version of Remake combat system.

Last edited:
Far too late for that, its already at 116 reviews at best it drops to a 93, if no one else gives it a 9 or 10

GoW 2018 only got 118 reviews and Horizon only got 126, it would have to get a slew of mixed reviews to drop and thats not gonna happen now

All it needs is two radical 6's (or below) and a few 7's and a couple 8's. There's always some radical reviewers for these types of games, and most of the 9 reviews are frontloaded.

All it needs is two radical 6's (or below) and a few 7's and a couple 8's. There's always some radical reviewers for these types of games, and most of the 9 reviews are frontloaded.

Considering the fact that it has 0 mixed reviews as of right now I don’t see that happening, anything negative it gets like a stevivor 6, will be outweighed by another 9 or 10 from somewhere like Edge

There was also RE4. The point is devs spend lot of time making the new combat and people suddenly expecting abandon that make entire new combat for direct sequel?

I had some issues with GOW 2018 like lack of enemy/boss variety but I really liked core combat and I wanted the sequel improve up on that, I mean am I alone on this?
Ahhh good one. I totally forgot what a change from RE3 to RE4 was. RE4 great game... then came the other RE's :messenger_grimmacing_ I think that's one franchise that could have done "less" with it's sequels LOL

I agree. GOW 2018 definitely suffered from lack of variety. I really liked the game, but remember playing it and thinking "I'm pretty sure I've killed this Ogre already..." and "maybe I'll unlock more finishers later..."

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hey, no skin off my back! GOW 2018 was my favorite Sony published game on the PS4. Great to see the sequel reviewing even better!

My guess was mostly based on the fact that samey looking sequels often review slightly lower....looks like I was wrong in this case!
Keighley said the first 5 hours were samey but after that the game is full of surprises.

Gamerguy84

Yea dick move by DF dropping spoilers. I dont usually watch them, is this normal for them or kind of a first.

Im now aware they announced that in the beginning if the video but like all videos i skip through introductions.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yea dick move by DF dropping spoilers. I dont usually watch them, is this normal for them or kind of a first.

Im now aware they announced that in the beginning if the video but like all videos i skip through introductions.
It also allows for trolls who didn't know, to run wild. Straight clowns, man.

Example:
A fucking spoiler scene right after the spoiler warning. I was smoking and couldn't close the video quick enough.
Wtf is wrong with these guys?

Last edited:

Danjin44

I personally never watch them because frankly tech talk bores me, I’m just going with performance mode like I always do when given the choice.

G-Bus

Banned

It's easily the stupidest argument I've heard against this game and makes absolutely no sense.

They did something incredible with this franchise in terms of going from old God of war to god of war 2018. Tons of praise and awards. Why on earth would they change anything drastically for a direct sequel.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Sure but COVID happened and so far only Sony has delivered next gen exclusives. At the end of the day great games are great games and it seems suspiciously unfair that Sony is held to a different standard on handpicked issues.

Also Plague Rat Requiem is next gen only sure, but the game is a basic sequel to the first one and it’s running at 30 FPS while not looking better than say Horizon FW which is a cross gen game. Had a bunch of people calling it goty though, some of the same people then try to dog Ragnarok for not being a revolutionary sequel… it’s all console war narrative and you know it.
Well, to be fair, Sony set that expectation themselves. They came out swinging at the PS5 reveal with the indication that this was a next-gen game, and were making a slogan out of "we believe in generations". Shouldn't we hold them to their word? Especially when they are using it as a way to jump on the competition, disingenuously so, right out the gate?

But to me, it's not about Playstation vs Xbox. It's simply about Playstation. I'll concede that some people make an argument out of this because they are console warriors - sure, but let's not treat everyone as the lowest common denominator. There are legit concerns to be had.

In regards to covid's effect - I'll give them the delayed release date, even though, in my heart, I don't believe they ever thought the game could release in 2021, but that's all the slack they get from me. The fact that this is a PS4 game has little to do with covid, if anything at all.

Last edited:

Danjin44

No, it wouldn't. There are things you can do on PS5 that you can't do on PS4. That's why we want new consoles in the first place, remember?
We had this conversation before…..

I hope you won’t be disappointed when PS5 only does come.

Top Bottom