• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | Review Thread

What score do you predict God of War Ragnarök will receive?

• 0-10%

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 20-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 50-60%

• 60-70%

• 70-80%

• 80-85%

• 85-90%

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • 95%-99%

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • 100%

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spartan30gr

Any tweets from Phil Spencer congratulating Cory and the team at Santa Monica?
Video Games Gamer GIF by Call of Duty

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
FH5 wasnt nominated for goty. Death stranding was alot more understandable due to how unique it was. A top 10 game for me but many people I know hated it.
i am talking about overall goty awards. Not the VGAs.

Uncharted and Death Stranding lost to overwatch and Sekiro at Keighleys GOTY awards, but won the most overall GOTYs.

I'm shocked its reviewing so highly. Saw so much discussion about how it wasn't ambitious and was sticking to the formula.

GOW 2018 is one of my favourite games so I'm really excited about the sequel. A more refined version of that game with some twists and turns is perfect for me.

Still expect Elden Ring to be GOTY, mainly because it'll have Xbox and PC publications voting for it.

Caio

90-95%. My bet is 94.

Edited : I just came here, and I didn't watch Meta before, believe it or not.
I watched now, it's 95 LOL...for the time being

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Yup, typical honeymoon period for a Sony title is 1-2 months then the people that actually played it come out in droves to tell everyone how it's all hype and the game is MEH to OK.
This is a weird take. Not every people will like everything. Of course the people who didn't like will be more vocal. Imagine if every person that like a game. After 2 months comes in droves tell you how amzong it is. It would be unbearable.

jaysius

Banned
This is a weird take. Not every people will like everything. Of course the people who didn't like will be more vocal. Imagine if every person that like a game. After 2 months comes in droves tell you how amzong it is. It would be unbearable.
You're all taking offense or something with this comment now, but it's like a clock, wait and see a month or 2 we'll see the "GoW RANGAROK actually sucked" threads.

It's what happens when game reviewers pad out scores, then people that aren't typically into a certain genre buy a game that they won't like, but due to "peer pressure" or whatever their weak minds consider it, they buy a game outside their comfort zone genre, then they realize the reviewers weren't 100% honest or buried some of the worst points of the game and ignored them in their final scores.

Gamespot review
Kratos's aggression is reflected in the enemies, which hit much harder than before and aim to overwhelm. In the early hours, this is fine, but as the game ramps up and trickier enemies appear, the mechanics can struggle under the pressure of the increased speed and aggression. These enemies often absorb much more damage, have multiple phases, or move around and attack from a distance, and in many cases, there can be multiple of them. Because of this, it can often feel like you're being pulled in multiple directions and cracks in the defensive options form. I often found myself in the middle of a series of attacks and then suddenly an enemy would appear from behind, forcing me to disengage either by turning around or rolling out of the way. The quick turn input is now L1 and down on the directional pad, and even as I approached the end of the game, it felt awkward and unreliable to execute, especially in the heat of battle. You can remap this, but I never found a place where I was completely comfortable with it.

This also felt like it was breaking the flow of combat, especially since the intensity made it easy to lose track of the on-screen arrow that indicates an attack from behind is coming. The indicator switches from yellow to red to provide some idea of timing, but I still found myself getting clipped a lot. Although this isn't a big deal for much of the game, in the latter half, enemies can stunlock you, so there were numerous occasions where a single enemy would open me up to being pummeled by multiple and I'd die in an instant. These moments arose in a way where I felt ill-equipped and incapable of making Kratos react in a way that could deal with what was being thrown at me, as opposed to not being able to execute because of my own skill. Since there are high-level challenges equivalent to Valkyries from the previous game–and more than a few that are even trickier–this is the kind of thing that can be the difference between life and death. Thankfully, for boss fights at least, God of War Ragnarok is much better about checkpointing as you move through phases. And when you're getting stuck into the combat, Atreus is much more capable this time around. Along with Mimir, he will either do callouts to keep you informed, or fire off some arrows at your command or of his own volition to get threats off you–he's a good lad.
  • Combat can occasionally become a bit too busy and unmanageable due to readability

That's one of many glossed over issues that is in these reviews right now.

It speaks of flawed combat mechanics that are deep in the game's core.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
You're all taking offense or something with this comment now, but it's like a clock, wait and see a month or 2 we'll see the "GoW RANGAROK actually sucked" threads.

It's what happens when game reviewers pad out scores, then people that aren't typically into a certain genre buy a game that they won't like, but due to "peer pressure" or whatever their weak minds consider it, they buy a game outside their comfort zone genre, then they realize the reviewers weren't 100% honest or buried some of the worst points of the game and ignored them in their final scores.

Gamespot review

Who gives a shit?

Gamespot review

You can have an unsolicited dick along with all the reviews that scored less than 10 too

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Gamespot review

It speaks of flawed combat mechanics that are deep in the game's core.
Or... they didn't pop enough Adderall to multitask.

But yes, carry on. The most important bullet point for you now. The hill you will die on.

Bragr

Banned
You had no trouble saying in this very thread GoW is not on ER level. Maybe you should follow your own advice.
I am solely talking about the reviews here. It's not on ER level.

Look at this thread, filled with people that think 20-year-old overused and abused jim ryan laughing and kratos dancing gifs are awesome. It's the most casual crowd in gaming.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the first and can't wait to play this. But I was replying to people saying this is GOTY over ER just because of the scores, but that makes no sense because the scores are clearly below. We haven't even played God of War Ragnarok yet, maybe it is better, but let the game come out first.

I said there was no chance I would do it but fuck it pre-ordered. Hopefully some kind of transmog this time as the high end armors were ugly compared to the unleashed nips.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:
Top Bottom