• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok Writer Champions Angrboda as Part of "Our own spin" on Norse mythology

Jaysen

Banned
I think what most people get upset about is that something is done for a very specific reason that everyone knows and at the same time the developer says that is not the reason.

It doesn't really matter what it's about. Nobody likes to be lied to or fooled, even if it's about something trivial.
Oh sure, people would have totally been cool with the character if the writer had been honest. Yep, that’s how it works.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Guys twisting himself into a pretzel trying to explain away forced diversity.

No one would have an issue if the game was geographically set in southern lands, but it’s the opposite. Mythical or not, a level of grounding is expected in any fantasy to make it relatable - this nonsense just acts to subvert it.

It’s the lack of logic and being told 2 + 2 = 5 that is frustrating.
You have a GREEK God invading a Norse mythology and literally fucking with it, and you draw the line at forced diversity?

Kratos being in that universe has already bastardized the Norse mythology. It is no longer accurate. Kratos being Loki's father is simply inaccurate. Kratos killing Baldur is inaccurate. This is their interpretation of the myth, and it is not trying to be geographically or historically accurate.

WitchHunter

Banned
Why does it matter that this character is black? Why is that offensive in the slightest?
Blacks were mostly slaves amongst scandinavian tribes if I'm not mistaken. Not that people who are complaining are aware, and they are not complaining about this, but if you put things into context, well, that sounds like an insult towards black people... And they might not be aware.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No it isn't. As a write your job is to tell an engaging story, create interesting worlds and character the audience cares about, that's really it. But in modern world it's way too much to ask for all the energy and focus goes into politics and driving agendas.

That being said, I really feel the girl will be used to transition the action from Norse to Egyptian mythology.
The politics in media and entertainment has been big the past I'd say 5 years.

And you can see this by watching TV, sports, gaming etc.... There is a giant trend to representing the Black community. Not Latinos, Chinese or Indians who there are more of. But to an American demographic that is about 13 or 14% of the US population.

Just to prove how wide the trend is, it's not like all media companies get together and agree amongst themselves which tv channels or game companies will have Black reporters or game characters..... ok everyone, we 40 companies are going to shake hands and mandate 35% of all media representation to be Black community and it'll be divvied out like this. Instead, they all work independently for the most part (unless it's divisions under a parent company initiative calling the shots for every department).

So for the influx of pandering all coming at once past bunch of years goes to show many are all thinking the same thing in their siloed companies and board meetings.

The same can be seen on LInkedin. When June Pride Month s coming, no joke I'd say about 30% of companies change their logo to rainbow. When June is over they change it back to normal. The company may or may not have anything to do with Pride month or supporting gays and lesbians, but to brownie point it, they change the corporate logo for a month. If nobody believes me, check linked in now. I bet you'll see all normal logos. Next year around May (leading up to June), go log into your linkedin account. You'll magically see rainbow logos everywhere. Then check in July when it's over.

GymWolf

lol haha. Thats exactly what I was thinking. She is by far the best looking character model in the game and we are trashing it.
Well, to be absolutely fair, they also defended their thor saying that he is the most faithful version to the mithology but when people attack another not faithfull character you say that you wanna put a spin on it?!

It doesn't sound like a coherent vision.

But i onestly don't give a fuck, i'm more mad for the technical aspect.

Even Faye looks Egyptian

fASa8Dn.png

This looks like their way of bridging the two for the next saga

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
The politics in media and entertainment has been big the past I'd say 5 years.

And you can see this by watching TV, sports, gaming etc.... There is a giant trend to representing the Black community. Not Latinos, Chinese or Indians who there are more of. But to an American demographic that is about 13 or 14% of the US population.

Just to prove how wide the trend is, it's not like all media companies get together and agree amongst themselves which tv channels or game companies will have Black reporters or game characters..... ok everyone, we 40 companies are going to shake hands and mandate 35% of all media representation to be Black community and it'll be divvied out like this. Instead, they all work independently for the most part (unless it's divisions under a parent company initiative calling the shots for every department).

So for the influx of pandering all coming at once past bunch of years goes to show many are all thinking the same thing in their siloed companies and board meetings.

The same can be seen on LInkedin. When June Pride Month s coming, no joke I'd say about 30% of companies change their logo to rainbow. When June is over they change it back to normal. The company may or may not have anything to do with Pride month or supporting gays and lesbians, but to brownie point it, they change the corporate logo for a month. If nobody believes me, check linked in now. I bet you'll see all normal logos. Next year around May (leading up to June), go log into your linkedin account. You'll magically see rainbow logos everywhere. Then check in July when it's over.
One whole character in a game is pandering? One?

Larlight

For everyone wanting the writers to admit that they are forcing diversity or pushing a political agenda by including a jotunn that has some color to her skin can you at least admit that’s a bit racist?

"Admit it Santa Monica! Admit forced diversity is a thing so it can confirm my own biased beliefs!!!"

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Oh sure, people would have totally been cool with the character if the writer had been honest. Yep, that’s how it works.

Would people be upset because the person is black or because the person was implemented for subjective political reasons?

If you answer that question honestly, you'll know and(!) understand why some people complain about it.

No one cares about skin color or gender, but no one wants to be patronized either.

yurinka

Own spin…spin…spinoff!

Angerboda ”Legs” Morales incoming!
A spin-off? How about if they go TLOU2, kill Kratos and replace him with Angerboda and a non-binary trans/gender fluid Atreus?

Would people be upset because the person is black or because the person was implemented for subjective political reasons?

If you answer that question honestly, you'll know and(!) understand why some people complain about it.

No one cares about skin color or gender, but no one wants to be patronized either.
Something that proves this is that if the next GoW is in Egipt most characters there would be black, arab, etc. and nobody would complain about it. As in the case when they made an AC in Egipt.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Well, to be absolutely fair, they also defended their thor saying that he is the most faithful version to the mithology but when people attack another not faithfull character you say that you wanna put a spin on it?!

It doesn't sound like a coherent vision.

But i onestly don't give a fuck, i'm more mad for the technical aspect.
Its not mutually exclusive. But this is what they said

We just want him to be a big boy, you know. There’s Marvel’s interpretation of him is one thing. It’s interesting. We wanted to, you know, go a little deeper into the mythology itself. They [gods] have a presence immediately. And it’s not always because of muscles. They’re just like that is a wall of a human being, you know. So this is a wall of a God, you know, and that’s why it was very important.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Totally.

Its like what the user said above. why the hell is Matt Damon in a Chinese action movie? The reason is to sell tickets. A more reasonable plot would be a writer making a story with a Chinese actor playing the mercenary hero, so the movie's setting sticks together as an Asian themed movie.

Who knew when it comes to Chinese myths and stories, there's white guys in it.

Last edited:

Interfectum

I think there is a bigger issue bubbling from the surface with this. Of course this character is fine... I can't imagine anyone truly losing sleep over it.

The big issue here is a lot of people here take issue with the reasoning and seem to have outright contempt for the writer. Conversely it also feels like the writer of the game has contempt for the fanbase of the game. I'm noticing more and more it feels like games media and even game developers hate the majority of their audience and the majority of their audience hate them.

ethomaz

Banned
While they were accurate with Thor.
Angrboda let me down.

She is supposed to be a Giant and she is mostly described as a mid to old age woman... from what we saw in the trailers she doesn't look like a Giant and/or mid to old age woman.

But seems like Loki is a child yet... so maybe they are focusing in that age that makes it even weird because Loki only meet Angrboda after he is already married.

Last edited:

Shmunter

You have a GREEK God invading a Norse mythology and literally fucking with it, and you draw the line at forced diversity?

Kratos being in that universe has already bastardized the Norse mythology. It is no longer accurate. Kratos being Loki's father is simply inaccurate. Kratos killing Baldur is inaccurate. This is their interpretation of the myth, and it is not trying to be geographically or historically accurate.
The fantasy is not the issue, nor is it’s accuracy. It is where the familiar, real world crosses over that things become lesser than. Random mishmash of real things does play out the same as fictitious things.

WitchHunter

Banned
In Norse mythology are there any Black figures?
Amongst northern germanic tribes, there were darker skinned people, but blacks were almost always were african slaves. But I'm not an expert on the topic.

I think there is a bigger issue bubbling from the surface with this. Of course this character is fine... I can't imagine anyone truly losing sleep over it.

The big issue here is a lot of people here take issue with the reasoning and seem to have outright contempt for the writer. Conversely it also feels like the writer of the game has contempt for the fanbase of the game. I'm noticing more and more it feels like games media and even game developers hate the majority of their audience and the majority of their audience hate them.
I'm not really sure that the fanbase is complaining. People will buy the game nonetheless.

ethomaz

Banned

Look's father is Fárbauti.
Odin adopted him.

Kratos when written in runes is Farbauti... coincidence? Seems like Kratos name is the link between both mythology.... I don't think it is a coincidence.

In Norse mythology Loki made and guided the Höðr/spear/arrow that kills Baldur... in GoW Loki arrow is what broke the curse that allowed Baldur to be killed... in a more freedom view you can see Loki is the main reason Baldur was killed.

Last edited:

Its fucking amazing that we have to explain this to people.

I'm all for being against forced diversity where it is too blatant, this is not one of them.

Using "it's not historically accurate" as an argument against the character in this game - where accuracy was thrown out the window from the start - is a dumb hill to die on.

Dabaus

Banned
When the inevitable god of war Egypt happens they won’t treat Egyptian gods like this. Kratos will have to play humble and meek before the black gods. “Learn his place and learn wisdom.” The token white god will end up being the villain trying to take over the world from the black gods. Hell Nuangropa Might already start the conversation with kratos about his anger and only she can get through to him.

I’m pretty sure in Greek mythos angropa is the mother of Loki’s children so you can already imagine what the next god war main character will look like.

By the way I’m all for it. I love diversity and want to see as many white people written out of their own history as possible because I’m progressive. Biden Harris 2024 Chuds.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

I'm all for being against forced diversity where it is too blatant, this is not one of them.

Using "it's not historically accurate" as an argument against the character in this game - where accuracy was thrown out the window from the start - is a dumb hill to die on.
Well I explained that his points were still accurate with Norse mythology.

When the inevitable god of war Egypt happens they won’t treat Egyptian gods like this. Kratos will have to play humble and meek before the black gods. “Learn his place and learn wisdom.” The token white god will end up being the villain trying to take over the world from the black gods. Hell Nuangropa Might already start the conversation with him.

I’m pretty sure in Greek mythos angropa is the mother of Loki’s children so you can already imagine what the next god war main character will look like.

By the way I’m all for it. I love diversity and want to see as many white people written out of their own history as possible because I’m progressive. Biden Harris 2024 Chuds.

Going full retard over a single dark shaded character

God help you when we do go to Egypt

Shmunter

What sense of time period do you see here? Jet setting tourism from continents far and wide or horse and cart? Should Kratos wear an Apple Watch and order Domino’s?

Why not, it’s fantasy anyway. The argument for no need of any cohesion to the presented setting holds no water.

The setting is incongruent for casual inhabitants of African descent. If there is a story arc explaining this, then this conversation is moot and everything is in fine and in place.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
While they were accurate with Thor.
Angrboda let me down.

She is supposed to be a Giant and she is mostly described as a mid to old age woman... from what we saw in the trailers she doesn't look like a Giant and/or mid to old age woman.

But seems like Loki is a child yet... so maybe they are focusing in that age that makes it even weird because Loki only meet Angrboda after he is already married.
Thats silly too. But the writers have their reason the classic Angrboda character is a 180 now.

I totally get writers want to mix things up for reasons xyz, but sometimes it's better to just stick to the core material.

It's like Ninjas being Japanese in games and movies. But when there's some content where it's a blonde haired American being a ninja (like some 1980s action movie), it gets pretty dumb. Are there real life awesome martial artists that arent Japanese? Sure. Are there real life ninjas that arent japanese? Dont know. Maybe. If there are, probably not too many in history. Then why white ninja movies? To sell tickets.

Last edited:

NewYork214

I don't have anything to add besides. I don't give a fuck. Just a character in the game. And her being black will be no different to story then if she was white

Pejo

I don't give a single shit that she's a black girl in the story, but what I have issue with is the way the trailer clearly used her as bait for this exact type of discussion. It was like a, "oh and we have time for just one more surprise!" at the end, and it was a super fast closeup to accentuate WHOAH A BLACK GIRL. This way they look super forward thinking and inclusive by having her featured at the end of the trailer. Then they have a PR department ready with the usual "so dragons are acceptable but a black giant isn't?" chaff that they respond every single time to this type of stuff. Free PR, they look like good guys. Absolutely manufactured and designed.

And you guys are all dancing in the palm of their hand about it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Poor Atreus, imagine the state of her fanny after shes given birth to a giant wolf and a fucking serpent the size of the world:

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Reaction GIF
After she gives birth?

Hasnt she already because we already saw that damn serpent?
6572172-0997899348-32471.jpg

Atreus out doing his dad in being a bad father, he doesnt even remember his own offspring?

Ohh wait this isnt a direct like for like telling of fucking mythology?

Gaelyon

Gold Member
So yeah as an european guy i'm not used to see black people in European Mythology, though there's dark elfs so dark skinned giant...
But demi-god Kratos wiped out the entire greek pantheon before fleing to norse lands and become Loki's father... So it's poetic licence and totally inacurate anyway. I'm fine with it as long as the game is cool and well written.

Kuranghi

After she gives birth?

Atreus out doing his dad in being a bad father, he doesnt even remember his own offspring?

I don't understand, are you taking what I said seriously and getting angry about my big vagina joke? I have to say I wasn't really considering the timeline when I made it.

The joke was an appeal to absurdity, I would presume even in the mythology she didnt physically pass a world sized serpent through her poon.

Alternative version of this post:

In that case I'm glad it wasn't a full body shot of her at the end, but I'd bet her clam is still in better shape than most of the 15 year olds that live in my area. Not speaking from personal experience ofc, its just I live in Scotland so its a fair assumption to make.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
After she gives birth?

The one guy who can straighten out all this shit....

EJ3Dp9SX0AMfDNv.jpg

Top Bottom