• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War - Road to E3 2017 (IGN)

vivekTO

God of War shocked us at E3 2016 when it made a surprise appearance on the Sony stage. Will we see it again this year?

youtube link

I am expecting a Boss battle reveal with New Weapon and Fighting system, Also Tackling of large Horde of enemies In a pretty Great Vista with a Heart pumping Soundtrack played by the Live orchestra.

Whats Your Expectation for this Years God Of War E3 .

Cinematic trailer followed by a boss battle with launch window/date.

Didn't GOW3's reveal have something where everyone was like "Oh, it's cgi/pre-rendered" and then it was like "Holyfuckingshit". Like i'm hoping we see something like Kratos fighting Jormungandr you could sorta see in the background of the trailer and everyone's like "Beautiful but...oh shit, this is real-time?". Some sort of face-melting spectacle that God of War excels at.

I can't see it being anything other than full combat demonstration along with a setpiece boss fighter. The demo from last year was made to hook those that had lost interest in GoW or never had interest in it before, so it'd make sense for this demo to remove any fears that hardcore fans of the franchise may have after that demo.

Lingitiz

"Fall 2017"

(and then a delay into spring 2018)

I'm actually half expecting a vague 2018 date, which well then become early 2019. Sony doesn't try to launch their biggest AAA action games in the fall. Spiderman seems more likely for early next year but it could go either way.

vivekTO

Cory has Continuously reiterated that "the game will come out when it is done.:)"
So i think they will reveal the release date late rather than revealing it early and than delaying it back. My thoughts.

Full gameplay demonstration against a shit ton of fuckers (people aren't quite sure about how the camera will work in large battles), maybe a boss fight and perhaps another weapon. The whole thing will end with a "March 2018" on the big screen.

mas8705

Hopefully for whatever is shown, it might be faster pace here. Not to say it was a bad thing when it was first shown last year, but it did feel really slow in comparison to the other GoW games (And hell, even if we were to say "Well, this was likely at the start of the game," you can argue that several of the other GoW games did hit the ground running at the start).

Can't wait to see it, but if we were to have a small section where something happened like "Son runs away from father" or "Son kidnapped while father gives chase" then we might see a bit more of the action that will be coming later on.

Logash

Cory has Continuously reiterated that "the game will come out when it is done.:)"
So i think they will reveal the release date late rather than revealing it early and than delaying it back. My thoughts.

I feel like I read some where that they had a full playable build start to finish. Am I crazy or is this true. If so I wouldn't be surprised with a Fall release.

bombshell

I'm actually half expecting a vague 2018 date, which well then become early 2019. Sony doesn't try to launch their biggest AAA action games in the fall. Spiderman seems more likely for early next year but it could go either way.

It was said to be fully playable from start to finish, obviously still with lots of things unfinished, some time ago. Not a chance this is later than first half 2018.

Looking forward to this one - though I think it will release next year to give it breathing room, too many big AAA games coming out already as is.

Ein Bear

I really wasn't feeling the new direction shown in the demo last year. It was super scripted press conference stuff though, so I've got my fingers crossed that we see more general gameplay this year which eases my concerns.

Yoshida has said that they're going to try to avoid that from now on. It's why last year we saw TLoU:pII, Days Gone, Spider-Man, and GoW all get announced without any year for release attached to them. He said that they're going to try to announce dates from now on when they're sure they can hit them.

vivekTO

I feel like I read some where that they had a full playable build start to finish. Am I crazy or is this true. If so I wouldn't be surprised with a Fall release.

you heard it Right. its playable from start to finish but that doesn't mean the game is closed to finish, maybe what they played was "greybox" kind of thing with Dead AI and No Assets. The game is likely to be released in Q1 2018.

I'm hoping to really see some cool level design and combat encounters. Puzzles are still around but platforming seems to be gone which is concerning. Makes me wonder for how gameplay set pieces will play out.

Plum

This is the game with the most to prove for me this E3. Hope we get a more mid-game, representative-of-the-majority-of-gameplay demo at the conference, wanna see how things are once the story's got going.

Lingitiz

It was said to be fully playable from start to finish, obviously still with lots of things unfinished, some time ago. Not a chance this is later than first half 2018.

Without any insight into SSM's development, it could mean a lot of things. It doesn't necessarily mean content complete. I don't want to be too cynical but I also don't want to read too much into what's been said so far.

God of War, Days Gone, Spiderman, and Detroit are all kind of in this nebulous spot where we don't know how far along they are or what's ready to launch anytime soon. 2017 is done for any Sony first party, but I think any one of those games could be positioned in Sony's signature first half AAA blockbuster spot. With the current PS4 library now, Sony can be really picky and give devs as much time as they need.

Mifec

Didn't GOW3's reveal have something where everyone was like "Oh, it's cgi/pre-rendered" and then it was like "Holyfuckingshit". Like i'm hoping we see something like Kratos fighting Jormungandr you could sorta see in the background of the trailer and everyone's like "Beautiful but...oh shit, this is real-time?". Some sort of face-melting spectacle that God of War excels at.

lmao that would be pretty small and underwhelming for how big it's supposed to be.

truth411

Without any insight into SSM's development, it could mean a lot of things. It doesn't necessarily mean content complete. I don't want to be too cynical but I also don't want to read too much into what's been said so far.

God of War, Days Gone, Spiderman, and Detroit are all kind of in this nebulous spot where we don't know how far along they are or what's ready to launch anytime soon. 2017 is done for any Sony first party, but I think any one of those games could be positioned in Sony's signature first half AAA blockbuster spot. With the current PS4 library now, Sony can be really picky and give devs as much time as they need.
GT Sport says hello. 😊

Lingitiz

GT Sport says hello. 😊

Right I should have clarified that GT Sport is probably their big November first party game. It's one of the most packed fall lineups already with RDR2, Destiny 2, and promising AC and COD and FarCry games, so I think in terms of their traditional action AAA games they're not going to push anything out for holiday.

vivekTO

2017 is done for any Sony first party, but I think any one of those games could be positioned in Sony's signature first half AAA blockbuster spot. With the current PS4 library now, Sony can be really picky and give devs as much time as they need.

knack 2 and Gt sports are likely this Year, so its not done yet.

Logash

you heard it Right. its playable from start to finish but that doesn't mean the game is closed to finish, maybe what they played was "greybox" kind of thing with Dead AI and No Assets. The game is likely to be released in Q1 2018.

Yeah but it could also mean that they do have a build that is close to finish no? I'm not trying fight for Fall 2017 or anything but I feel like both scenarios are just as likely. Regardless, I don't see it being later than Spring 2018.

vivekTO

Yeah but it could also mean that they do have a build that is close to finish no? I'm not trying fight for Fall 2017 or anything but I feel like both scenarios are just as likely. Regardless, I don't see it being later than Spring 2018.

hopefully it shouldn't be later than 2018 spring.

The previous games had unlocked framerates and targetting 60 FPS (that the remasters managed to maintain). I wonder if this GOW will be locked 30 FPS instead since it will be mostly 2160p checkerboard on PS4 PRO like for Horizon.

vivekTO

The previous games had unlocked framerates and targetting 60 FPS (that the remasters managed to maintain). I wonder if this GOW will be locked 30 FPS instead since it will be mostly 2160p checkerboard on PS4 PRO like for Horizon.

This will be 30 fps.no way its going to be 60 fps at those visuals.

Show me a big battle. I wanna see how the combat and camera work when you are fighting 5-6 enemies at the same time. Also, show a bit of platforming and exploration. Prove that the game still has GoW's DNA.

Show me a big battle. I wanna see how the combat and camera work when you are fighting 5-6 enemies at the same time. Also, show a bit of platforming and exploration. Prove that the game still has GoW's DNA.

The game may have 100 enemies at once in some battles. The only way to do it is through the classic camera, unless they manage another good view.

Top Bottom