• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Sells Over 3.1 Million Units in 3 Days, Becomes Fastest-Selling PS4 Exclusive

dragos495

I wish it nothing but the best! I want the numbers to be the biggest ever, so that other studios and devs see that and put more work into their own game.

And people said singleplayers are dead, lul.

I wish it nothing but the best! I want the numbers to be the biggest ever, so that other studios and devs see that and put more work into their own game.

But 3.1 billion skeletons have been killed in Sea of Thieves!

DbMhh1nX4AAtfM7.jpg

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

To me single player is what makes gaming interesting, if they really do disappear then there is no real reason for me to play games anymore.

thelastword

Banned
Will god of war stay ps4 exclusive? I'm waiting for the pc version of latest monster hunter. I'm done with 30fps in this lifetime.
There's a 60fps mode or high framerate mode. It averages around 55fps overall, stays high in combat and 60fps even in some boss fights. it's lowest drops are traversing the huge hub area in Midgard, mostly CPU related there, as there are so many draw calls just there, but the thing is you need a PRO to play the high framerate mode.....I've heard quite a few persons bought PS4 PRO's to play the title tbh.

Anyway, good job to GOW and SSM, played it on hard and it has some of the best combat in an action game for a good minute. The story was really good, especially three parts in particular, mimir is great, had lots of laughs at his expense. This game is really high quality and really engages you on several fronts; characters/story/lore/humor and of course combat. Let's be honest, it's one of the few action games where you become familiar with most of the characters along your way. That part is well done and you get a good pull into everyone's story.... Anyway......just cleaning up for the platinum, just completed the trials on muselpheim, need to clean up some items in Niflheim to get max armor and clear out the valks and remaininig birds.

SSM might be on vacation right now, but they still plan to patch the game a bit further thereafter....Photomode, NG+ et al.......Hope this sells well in excess of 15 mil+ when all is said and done. Everybody needs to experience this game. It's that good.

Last edited:
There's a 60fps mode or high framerate mode. It averages around 55fps overall, stays high in combat and 60fps even in some boss fights. it's lowest drops are traversing the huge hub area in Midgard, mostly CPU related there, as there are so many draw calls just there, but if you don't have a PS4 you need a PRO to play the high framerate mode.....I've heard quite a few persons bought PS4 PRO's to play the title.

That's cool. Not worth $500 for one game though, which is the price of the ps4 pro in my country. I will have to wait for it in the bargain bin. I can play 30fps if i don't pay full price. Only have a ps4 vanilla.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's cool. Not worth $500 for one game though, which is the price of the ps4 pro in my country. I will have to wait for it in the bargain bin. I can play 30fps if i don't pay full price. Only have a ps4 vanilla.

This title is fine at 30 FPS, if you had a PS4 Pro I would suggest you would use the supersampling mode hehe.

Cato

Banned
Well deserved. I just finished the main story and wow. Character building, arcs, suspense was all top notch.
Only trivial complaint is there were a couple of places where I thought the voice acting was lacking.
A few occasions of a few seconds at a time, in a 30+ hour experience. I can handle that.

This game goes to 11.

<spoiler>
At the end, when that thing is revealed to Kratos but not the boy, then shortly after the name-drop, it all make sense and brought tears to my eyes.
</spoiler>

Golmo

Neo Member
That's a good sign.
But you also have to consider: For Sony it is certainly easier to pump money into an exclusive game because their hardware sells much better.

petrus91

Well deserved, one of the best games in this generation imho. In addition to this, there's been such a marketing pump from Sony this time I'm not surprised by the end result. They were literally *everywhere*: TV, Facebook, Instagram, sports sites and so on.
That is how you promote your main game.

This title is fine at 30 FPS, if you had a PS4 Pro I would suggest you would use the supersampling mode hehe.

I played through GOW3 on the ps3 at 30fps and enjoyed every second. But playing the 60fps remakes of GOW1/2 on ps3 simply blew my mind, no comparison. This series was made for higher fps. But the new god of war is very pretty (as was GOW3 at the time) so i can overlook the fps.

Last edited:

petrus91

I played through GOW3 on the ps3 at 30fps and enjoyed every second. But playing the 60fps remakes of GOW1/2 on ps3 simply blew my mind, no comparison. This series was made for higher fps. But the new god of war is very pretty (as was GOW3 at the time) so i can overlook the fps.
I played the whole game on performance mode, it's just plain better imo. The quality mode felt so sluggish coming back from performance. Sometimes I felt some hiccups and slowdows in some areas but it was still ok.

That's a good sign.
But you also have to consider: For Sony it is certainly easier to pump money into an exclusive game because their hardware sells much better.

Last gen Sony was pretty much tied with 360 and they were still pumping money into their own games.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

You mean performance more? Supersampling implies >1080P which is resolution mode. It plays much better in performance, 50-60fps.

demigod

I like how they just say a number and not obfuscate it like "fastest selling rare game for first three days in months ending in y with box art with green..", MS loves to use marketing talk to hide things.

Im betting that game hasn’t hit 1mil yet.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
That's a good sign.

Yeah, but this has been true since the NES days with Nintendo 1st party games and it will probably always be the case.so.......yeah.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You mean performance more? Supersampling implies >1080P which is resolution mode. It plays much better in performance, 50-60fps.

I like the look of resolution mode better and the frame rate is locked and with plenty of nice motion blur. Indeed the frame rate mode is smoother, but not DOOM/MGS V like locked... I may have to replay it in both modes :D. Hopefully on PS5 it will run in resolution mode with 60 FPS.

Geki-D

Banned
It has to count digital sales right? No way it did this number in stores only!
Seeing as the numbers are from Sony themselves you can be pretty sure it also includes digital because they obviously have access to all of the numbers.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I wonder if GoW sold faster than any Rare games? :eek:

Codes 208

The first few days are significant part of overall sales though. That's how games sell.
Im not following. The game has had a huge launch, theres a ton of word to mouth saying great things and i still see ads everywhere. At what point do you think sales are just going to drop? 3mil in 3 days is amazing and its only going to get higher.

I mean, what other exclusives have sold this much within even a week?

Last edited:

demigod

Well, Horizon Zero Dawn sold 2.6 million copies in two weeks and went on to sell over 7.6M copies so by your metrics GOW should sell over 20 million!

Thats not what he’s saying. He thinks the game is front loaded and won’t have legs.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I tried performance mode and they really made some graphical sacrifices for that mode and it looked just too terrible on my 4K TCL TV.

As a result I kept it in Favor Resolution and never looked back.

Sony is moving towards total monopoly in console market. How can someone compete if they continue to release such amazing games. It's unfair imo

Eliciel

Sony is moving towards total monopoly in console market. How can someone compete if they continue to release such amazing games. It's unfair imo
;) under these standards it is unfair that anyone would win in anything, by simply being more precise, more engaged, more innovative, delivering better results and performance. It's called winning by competing. :p

thelastword

Banned
Im betting that game hasn’t hit 1mil yet.
According to Superdata, SOT had just shy of 2 million active users for it's first month. They estimate that half of those active users used the gamepass 14 day trial and have since let that subside. In essence, most of those active users for the month have since abandoned ship. As for NPD, it was later reported by Mat Piscatella that SOT sales were that of the Windows store and XBOX console combined...So play anywhere titles aggregate under the XBOX platform...

As for GOW, I think 3 days sales was a record breaker, so now we wait to see how it did after 1 week on the market and eventually 1 month.

jowell24

Well deserved. I think everyone (with a PS4) should give this game a try even if it proves not to be their cup of tea. It's an experience that deserves to played by the masses.

Lucky bastards will have the privilege of playing it for the first time ;)

Last edited:
There's a 60fps mode or high framerate mode. It averages around 55fps overall, stays high in combat and 60fps even in some boss fights. it's lowest drops are traversing the huge hub area in Midgard, mostly CPU related there, as there are so many draw calls just there, but the thing is you need a PRO to play the high framerate mode.....I've heard quite a few persons bought PS4 PRO's to play the title tbh.

Anyway, good job to GOW and SSM, played it on hard and it has some of the best combat in an action game for a good minute. The story was really good, especially three parts in particular, mimir is great, had lots of laughs at his expense. This game is really high quality and really engages you on several fronts; characters/story/lore/humor and of course combat. Let's be honest, it's one of the few action games where you become familiar with most of the characters along your way. That part is well done and you get a good pull into everyone's story.... Anyway......just cleaning up for the platinum, just completed the trials on muselpheim, need to clean up some items in Niflheim to get max armor and clear out the valks and remaininig birds.

SSM might be on vacation right now, but they still plan to patch the game a bit further thereafter....Photomode, NG+ et al.......Hope this sells well in excess of 15 mil+ when all is said and done. Everybody needs to experience this game. It's that good.
Shame that they are pushing the pro hardware beyond its limits. 55 fps average is nothing to write home about. Perhaps dialing back the resolution base would be best. It seems the pro is best suited for 1440p to maintain acceptable frame rates.

So, GOW bested Halo 3 launch numbers. Never thought that someday GOW would be bigger than Halo.

Astounding numbers, that's for sure

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Shame that they are pushing the pro hardware beyond its limits. 55 fps average is nothing to write home about. Perhaps dialing back the resolution base would be best. It seems the pro is best suited for 1440p to maintain acceptable frame rates.

The ~60 FPS mode is a 1080p mode, the 4K/supersampled 1080p mode rubs at the intended 30 FPS framerate pretty much locked 100% of the time (see DF review). This is actually how you properly design a locked frame rate game: you give it a decent amount of headroom to ensure that frame rate does not drop in whatever crazy scenarios the users may find himself or herself in... some of that headroom can be converted in a 55-60 FPS unlocked frame rate scenario or in higher resolution rendering. Likely the game is hitting more CPU side bottlenecks than graphics ones in the high frame rate mode and the game was never built to target locked 60 FPS.

Top Bottom