• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War weapons and how they impact the gameplay [weapons spoilers]

RCU005

The biggest change in the new God of War game is the gameplay, and I believe it was a huge risk for developers to change the formula completely and design something that fans could very well oppose to. However, now that the game is out and people are playing it, they seem to love it! but what is not to love?!

The Leviathan Axe is powerful, it has a sense of weight and it controls marvelously. You feel in control the entire time, and fights don't get repetitive. There are many moves and combos you can do, and you can personalize your attacks via runes and talismans. I think this is the most satisfying change in combat. Every attack feels unique, and you can play the entire game experimenting different setups to further improve your techniques. The camera never gets in the way, and something I was really worried about was the indicators on the screen, but they work like magic, really! I have never got hit by an enemy that is behind me because of the indicators not properly working. All of this in combination with the shield and barehand combat it's just amazing! In the past games, you hit the buttons to form combos just like you would do in an action game or even a fighting game, and I know that GOW 3 improved upon it and there were people that could do crazy things and combos, but this one has a much more expansive canvas for those people, and I think they will enjoy the combat even more!.

But now I want to go to the most surprising part of the combat in the entire game, both for story and gameplay reasons: The Blades of Chaos. They return!

I was really surprised about this (even though I spoiled myself by looking at the trophies literally 5 minuts before actually getting it).

I can't believe how good they work with this new camera and gameplay style! I was completely shocked how well designed they were and how smooth the gameplay feels even when the combat with the axe is meant to be slower. You can still do many (every) move from past games, but they feel completely different, yet familiar, yet satisfying as hell! I can even go and declare the blades to work much better in this game than in the past. The only minuscule complaint I have is that you still get your shield out when blocking, and I hoped it wasn't the case. The first thing I thought when playing with the blades of chaos was about hitting enemies behind and all sides with them with the camera. In the introduction fight they actually put the camera further out so it looks a bit like the old games, but it doesn't happen again, but moving the right stick while attacking and it works actually very well.

What did you think about the combat in general and the Blades of Chaos? I think it was an amazing surprise and more amazing that they work absolutely amazing with the new gameplay and features that God of War offers. The combat is really a very satisfying experience and never gets old.

Top Bottom