• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War won't have multiplayer, won't be Kratos' final game

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Surprised that they confirmed this won't be Kratos' last game. Seems like the sort of thing they wouldn't even comment on.

Not surprised at the lack of MP though. The Ascension MP was kind of fun but it wouldn't work with the new approach to combat and camera.

And for the large part, they have mostly been right. Only the biggest of biggest franchises have have managed to be a success while being single player only.

The only real exceptions have been Witcher 3 and Shadow of mordor.

And Fallout 4. And the upcoming Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. And Dishonored 2. And Resident Evil 7. And Horizon: Zero Dawn.

So, it's still a viable option then. It's true that many games have a MP component, but there are also plenty that do not.

I want more God of War sequels until I'm playing Angry Grandpa Kratos, with a beautiful beard down to his knees.

At any rate, I'm fond of ol' Kratos. I'm absolutely fascinated to see what they do with him character wise, and assuming he nor the son dies, there could be a lot of interesting sequel potential there with their relationship. One of my most memorable moments in the GoW series was with Kratos and Calliope in the Elysium Fields, so I hope she eventually gets mentioned to his son. I'm so curious about the son's mom, too.

MaxHouse

Banned
So Kratos hasn't told his son about his Greek past. Do you think he will tell him that he killed his first family out of blind rage think of how intense that would be

Corpsepyre

Banned
Surprised that they confirmed this won't be Kratos' last game. Seems like the sort of thing they wouldn't even comment on.

Not surprised at the lack of MP though. The Ascension MP was kind of fun but it wouldn't work with the new approach to combat and camera.

I'm assuming Kratos's death isn't even a plot point if they're confirming he's around to stay. They'd rather clear it up from the get-go so people don't start thinking the kid's being groomed to take on the mantle when Kratos perishes. It allows them to be creative as far as the story goes.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
No multiplayer is fantastic.

More Kratos is fantastic too. People that think he's all anger anger rage frown weren't paying attention the last six games. He's an angry cunt to be sure, but there is a lot of characterization and growth across the games, in particular God of War 3 and Ghost of Sparta show a very human side of Kratos compared to GoW1 and 2.

From what we've seen of the new one, they appear to be fleshing him out even more. Wha does a man do with his life when he's gotten the vengeance he thought would bring him peace? He didn't want to be a pawn of the gods, something I thought atheist GAF could appreciate. He literally severed his ties to them, and was left empty. This is now a story about him finding what he lost. It's intriguing, and a side to him we've never seen in depth. I was surprised at how different this game is, from top to bottom. In very interested, but Kratos is an iconic character whether you like him or not. Like Master Chief, Mario, and Link.

Elandyll

Banned
GoW 1-> 3 : The Greek years
GoW 1-> 3: Kratos in Vallhala
GoW 1-> 3: Adventures in Egypt
GoW 1->3: Mayan gods rising
GoW 1->3: Kratos is now named Dean, rides a '67 Chevy Impala (March 2044, exclusive PS8 eXD)

Aces&Eights

I cannot overstate my enthusiasm for devs going back to SP only games. So glad we are getting a game where all time and assets are devoted to telling the SP story. This game is sounding better and better every day.

I still think Kratos dies and we take over as the son, though.

Veelk

Banned
Norse Kratos is tolerable though, so it's easy to forgive based on what we've seen so far.

It looks like with this reboot they're trying to give Kratos more character beyond mutilating people. I'm actually interested in how it turns out.

Would have agreed before E3, but I can get behind this new Kratos.

It is amazing to me how waving a child in front of people's faces and having Kratos not rip his face off makes people act like Kratos never had any mellow moments in the previous trilogy.

He did. They were just awfully written. Which could still easily be the case with GoW4

Honestly, I'm surprised at how okay I am with them keeping Kratos, especially now that they're trying something with the character. I'm more worried about the kid. If Norse God of War 2 features a co-lead through Krato's angsty teenage son, then that would be worrying
although, that's a better alternative than killing his family, AGAIN

jayu26

GoW 1-> 3 : The Greek years
GoW 1-> 3: Kratos in Vallhala
GoW 1-> 3: Adventures in Egypt
GoW 1->3: Mayan gods rising
GoW 1->3: Kratos is now named Dean, rides a '67 Chevy Impala (March 2044, exclusive PS8 eXD)
Hell yeah! I hope I'm alive to see that.

MaxHouse

Banned
People need to stop calling this a reboot I know the gameplay is different but it's a continuation of gow 3 same Kratos still a spartan. it's just a pet peeve at the moment

Most mid-sized teams (200 or less developers) making major titles this generation tend to focus on either singleplayer or multiplayer, at least when they first start a new series or reboot an old one.

For mega developers, doing both on the first go is not uncommon, but that's a lot easier when you have 400 people to do everything instead of half that count or less.

Just looking at Sony's published line-up this generation:

-snip-

Multiplayer Only:
- Rigs
- Kill Strain

-Snip-

You will notice that the games with one or the other tend to be new IPs or heavy reboots.

We see this among third parties as well with CD Projekt intending to add multiplayer to Cyberpunk while Titanfall 2 is adding a campaign and Battlefront is heavily hinted to do so as well.

I'm pretty sure RIGS was confirmed to have a single player mode?
Battling up through the ranks and gaining AI pilots etc.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The guy literally almost unleashed spartan rage on his kid.

He got angry for a second and then calmed himself. Even normal people do that sometimes.

I know you've written reams of pages about how much you hate Kratos, but don't let that blind you to the obvious changes they're trying to make to his character.

I think with Cory at the helm of this game, SSM has doubled-down on the pass-through line of this franchise being Kratos as per his vision. And if they're going to do more, it will revolve around Kratos and no one else.

A bit sad about no multiplayer it was really fun in Ascension but IIRC it died pretty quick. But im glad he said this isn't Kratos last game this early so we can get the complaints out of the way.

Still this just makes me wonder what the sons role will be in the future.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm pretty sure RIGS was confirmed to have a single player mode?
Battling up through the ranks and gaining AI pilots etc.

Double checking, it does seem there's some kind of singleplayer element, yes, though I'm not sure how extensive it is. Good catch.

SilentRob

I still find it hilarious they think it's a good idea to explore the "human" side of Kratos. It's like if Fast & Furious just suddenly decided Fast & Furious 8 will be about Vin Diesel's character raising his son after his wife's long fight with cancer, turning it into a heartfelt family drama.

That doesn't work. Both of these characters are parodies of what they originally were supposed to potrait at this point.

Kratos is not only far beyond any redemption in universe because of what he did in the past games (oh, hey! A random, innocent woman! Guess I'll jam her in between this lever so I can keep the door open while crushing her in the process and listening to her screams) but also because he turned into such a terribly written character.

I find the thought hilarous seeing Kratos of all people accidently screaming at his son because that's supposed to show the remains of his rage. That's a College Humor sketch, not an actual storyline I can take seriously. Whatever story they plan on telling with this new God of War - it would work better if it wasn't Kratos.

Gurish

Kid is gonna die, Kratos will avenge the shit out of everything in part 2.

I really preferred the original theory of saying good bye to Kratos with this game, to see how he trains his kid, how the kid gets older and stronger and by the end of their journey Kratos dies and the kid becomes the new god and (anti) hero of the next few games, maybe we will even take control of him for the final boss fight, that could be awesome, a whole game that will tell us the origin of the new god of war through Kratos's eyes, shame.

What the point to spoil us that he will not die....

wtf... or this is a surprise....

Main character death speculations can quickly start to dominate all conversation pre-release. Look at the the TLoU conversation, MGS4, Uncharted 4 and others. And it's been a very common conversation already for GoW 4. Everyone thinks they are being clever making some variation of "Calling it now, Kratos dies halfway through and you play as the son the rest of the game" or "Kratos dies at the end and his son takes over in the next game." I think it's a smart move to get ahead of things and state:

1) You play as Kratos the entire game
2) He won't die at the end.

Steven Spielberg just said the same thing for Indy 5 and it was probably a smart move there too.

MaxHouse

Banned
I still find it hilarious they think it's a good idea to explore the "human" side of Kratos. It's like if Fast & Furious just suddenly decided Fast & Furious 8 will be about Vin Diesel's character raising his son after his wife's long fight with cancer, turning it into a heartfelt family drama.

That doesn't work. Both of these characters are parodies of what they originally were supposed to potrait at this point.

Kratos is not only far beyond any redemption in universe because of what he did in the past games (oh, hey! A random, innocent woman! Guess I'll jam her in between this lever so I can keep the door open while crushing her in the process and listening to her screams) but also because he turned into such a terribly written character.

I find the thought hilarous seeing Kratos of all people accidently screaming at his son because that's supposed to show the remains of his rage. That's a College Humor sketch, not an actual storyline I can take seriously. Whatever story they plan on telling with this new God of War - it would work better if it wasn't Kratos.
well seeing as Kratos literally destroyed the Olympians and caused the whole world to flood that seems like a pretty big change that could cause Kratos to change don't you think

Veelk

Banned
But he didn't. He got angry, he calmed down, happens to real people all...the...time.

You don't have to play it if you don't want to.

Rage of Sparta has been exclusively used to rip enemies faces off in GoW. People get mad. Not everyone uses Rage of Sparta. Kratos almost used Spartan rage.

I know that by his actions, he just got mad, but I don't know why they showed the Rage of Sparta meter filling up if not to imply the consequences of what he'd do if unleashed.

He got angry for a second and then calmed himself. Even normal people do that sometimes.

I know you've written reams of pages about how much you hate Kratos, but don't let that blind you to the obvious changes they're trying to make to his character.

I'm not blind to them, I just don't see them anywhere near as significant as others. He's different, so what? Kratos 1 is different from Kratos 2, who is different from Kratos 3, who is different from Kratos Ascension. 2 is when he is at his rageyest and most screaming, 3 shows him with a bit of a sardonic sense of humor and a showing affection for a child, while Ascension has him slightly more considerate of others. I wrote up what I thought of the reveal in the E3 GoW thread, but honestly, people overblow this "HE FOUND HIS HEART" bs quite a bit. He had plenty of 'I am feeling emotions" scenes in the previous games as well.

Besides, my problem, if I were to put it in a nut shell, isn't that Kratos is angry, it's that he's goddamn stupid. That, if the trailer is anything to go by, hasn't changed.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds

Well good thing you're not writing the game. Because what we saw at e3 was great.

Kalentan

Double checking, it does seem there's some kind of singleplayer element, yes, though I'm not sure how extensive it is. Good catch.

I think they said it was something like Sports games. You have seasons and you can even draft other characters.

Norse Kratos better have sex in this game

icon-esrb-em.png

It may have a Norse setting, but apparently it's still a proper God of War game.

Top Bottom