• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godfall requires an internet connection (PS+ not required for solo play - see OP)

vkbest

Division 1 & 2 can be played 100% solo and can't be played without PS+. Diablo 4 when it comes out will guaranteed be online only on all platforms.

You don't need PS+ for playing Division 1 or 2 solo. You only need if you are playing with other people

RedVIper

Banned
can someone explain why in this day and age this is a big fucking deal? i mean when you switch your console on its pretty much connected to the internet, well mine is anyways and most of us carry an always connected phone in our pockets so why are the usual gamer cunts getting their knickers in a twist over this? fuck me if its playing a trannie in a video game or swapping out textures from a reveal trailer... some cunts need a fucking slap

Personally I don't want the game to stop working 5 years from now because the servers went off.

Basically it's a game preservation issue for me,

Last edited:

GymWolf

martino

I readed recently that they confirmed is not a gaas, don't remember where tho...

Also, does having preplanned dlc and content make every game a gaas? It's pretty confusing nowadays...

there not clear definition but when you pay for the dlc if you unlock all the content and if it's playable offline when multiplayer support end not by mine.

Aight

Does anyone actually know 'why' these single player games have to be online?

Almost all these threads boil down to people bitching at each other that they're somehow right but no one ever seems to know why..

WHY was the Crew online only?
Hitman?
Need for Speed?
The Division?
That ps3 Ace Combat game?

Just why? Do we have a conclusive answer? I wont accept 'because reasons', neither should you. There is zero reason for it.

They all whant your Data and full Controll over the environment you play in.

MMaRsu

Banned
Lol who seriously doesn’t leave their console connected to the internet like all the time? The only way this is an issue is if your modem is a potato and keeps disconnecting.

Lmao who cares if they want always online drm, want all your data and come over to your house and fuck your mom?

Our moms have already been fucked once already anyway its not like they are virgins

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
If everything is handled server side, you can change things server side without the need to push a patch through the certification process.
Player and enemy damage can be adjusted instantly, weapon damage, drop rates, enemy occurrence frequency (rare enemies) and it also makes it impossible to cheat, since nothing is stored on the console (aside of, maybe, game settings).
There are advantages in doing things this way.
Which I can understand but for single player games? I'm not so sure.

cormack12

Gold Member
Which I can understand but for single player games? I'm not so sure.

The issue is people creating hacked characters/items, then using them in co-op online etc. They'd have to create some dedicated offline mode which they probably didn't scope out or want. Maintaining one unified codebase is easier rather than balancign offline/online and bugtesting both.

MrS

Banned
Progress will be stored server side instead of on your console. Not a big deal by any stretch regardless of the number of concern trolls in this thread who do nothing but shit on Godfall 24/7.

Concern

I haven't paid for PS+ since the first year of PS4 when I wanted some free games. That's not going to change any time soon.

I missed the part where you needed plus for single player. Thats a shit move, i agree. The always connected part is where I don't see a big deal unless you travel a lot like someone else pointed out.

Roufianos

Always online is kind of stupid but ok, not too big of a deal.

Needing PS+ to play a game in SP is straight up trash though. Let's be honest, most people don't give a shit about Godfall in isolation but this could be the start of an awful precedent.

MastaKiiLA

I'm still curious to hear about the co-op features of this game. I haven't heard anything since the announcement. I wonder if it's even going to be a part of the game now. Anyway, the game might have more online-related features than people think. It would help to explain the need for an internet connection.

In any case, if you don't like that, just don't buy the game. Low sales will do more to deter this sort of behavior than any amount of whining in a thread. What's not going to help is complaining about it, and then going out to buy the game anyway. That's just self-sabotage. I'll have PS+, so this is a non-factor for me. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm still surprised that there are so many people who get Playstations and don't get PS+. It's pretty cheap, and the free games alone are worth the asking price. Always a few gems you get for free each year.

iorek21

This game is a complete mystery for me, even with those gameplay videos.

I prefer betting in AC Valhalla than this

VertigoOA

Banned
It’s one of the many reasons. Corrupt saves and cheaters breaking the pve portion affects the quality of the game.

If the Godfall devs want to do the right thing for their game it’s to have server side saves. No doubt about it

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Lol who seriously doesn’t leave their console connected to the internet like all the time? The only way this is an issue is if your modem is a potato and keeps disconnecting.

The same people who wouldn’t want to live there.

Journey

Banned
MMXIII
full-circle.jpg

martino

It’s one of the many reasons. Corrupt saves and cheaters breaking the pve portion affects the quality of the game.

If the Godfall devs want to do the right thing for their game it’s to have server side saves. No doubt about it

you have 4 borderlands games fine doing it.
if the game is not a gaas like they say it is then there is no good reason this game cannot be like borderland especially when the same publisher is behind it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
you have 4 borderlands games fine doing it.
if the game is not a gaas like they say it is then there is no good reason this game cannot be like borderland especially when the same publisher is behind it.
He seems to just want to support anti consumer practices. Isn’t the first time and won’t be the last.

VertigoOA

Banned
The only solution with local saves is to have multiplayer separate.

That would be a huge mistake and complete defeat the purpose of making a game intended to be an online cooperative multiplayer experience.

You want to use the gear and loot you earn in solo queue and take it into high end activities which will most likely be multiplayer only.

When you have cheaters modifying their save files they’re corrupting the entire experience.

There’s more benefit to server side saves on the player end as well long term. You never lose your data.

Dozer831

Neo Member

First time I heard this. This is even required for offline, single player. The information can be found on the official PlayStation site. I still plan on getting Godfall, but for me this unexpected and even disappointing.
Who cares lol? When you turn on your console you're automatically connected to the internet anyways....get over it already.

sainraja

You don't need paid PSN to play Destiny, just the multiplayer of course, but you can run through the campaign on your own without paid PSN.

If this just needs networking, no big deal, but if it requires paid PSN for solo play that's odd.

Oh interesting. I didn't know you could play Destiny without being subscribed to PS+.

Division 1 & 2 can be played 100% solo and can't be played without PS+. Diablo 4 when it comes out will guaranteed be online only on all platforms.

Seems to be on a game to game basis then...

EDIT

Destiny is free-to-play. F2P games dont need PS Plus for online. Godfall is not F2P

Ah, yeah....duh! I knew this.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
If all this game ends up being is a single player brawler campaign who’s co-op portion is just playing the campaign with damage scaling that would be incredibly lame.

I don’t expect it to be. Ideally you can be in solo queue for a number of activities and engage with other players as much as possible.

Just because Gearbox is involved I don’t expect this to be anything like borderlands.

You guys make me laugh. No one is going to give a shit about Godfall in 5 years.

I disagree. So no one is going to want try out or purchase this older game at an inevitable discount several years later or revisit it in 5 years, especially for online? Lots of people play older games on a regular basis. People still play games like Warframe, Destiny or SF5 even to this day regularly.

Sony team has entered the chat.

Paying in 2020+ to play online is the dumbest shit ever. Well to be fair, it always has been but suckers will be suckers.

Ps+ includes hundreds of games* and online comes on the side, at least that is how I see it.

Paying ~3-5€/month for random games + library of old games is now being a sucker?

This is like complaining about big patches. It is 2020, data caps havent been a thing in 15-20 years on 1st world countries.

If using ~50€/$ year is too much for a hobby, then it is what it is.

People spend more in shit like bars, restaurants, booze, weed, taxi rides and so on in a single weekend. Should they stop doing it because I dont do those things? No.

Different priorities, there are bigger problems like non-free education or healthcare, paying for a hobby should not be so big of a deal.

Yeah, it is weird to need ps+ for single player, but almost everyone have internet connection anyway.

I'm not buying this game so Its not personal agenda for me.

*For long term customers

Ar¢tos

They might add PVP later on, without server side saves pvp would be a shit show, specially if there is crossplay with PC.

VertigoOA

Banned
Second wave of games as service made a huge mistake by cowtowing to the complaints of the first gen games from casuals who rejected them.

Instead developers focused on single-player needs like campaigns and completely fucked their games and only few recovered from that. Avengers is the latest victim. It’s actual online component is broken and half-assed.

Each and every aspect of these games from a design core should be to engage players with other players as much as possible. Each moment you would spend playing “single-player” activities should be to entice the player to engage in multiplayer only end game activities.

Those high end activities should be expected to be where these dev teams invested the best of the game into.

If Godfall is just a another campaign that is replayed co-op than these server side save complaints would be valid. Hopefully it’s nothing like that... because it’ll just be another dead game

Who cares lol? When you turn on your console you're automatically connected to the internet anyways....get over it already.

Not everyone has 24/7 fast capable or reliable internet especially in different parts of the world. Some people may travel often or have internet that goes down occasionally. It’s one thing needing internet for a game, but what sense does having to pay for a subscription service just to play it offline make? There’s no reason for that. These companies just want more control over the games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom