• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla Resurgence confirmed to be a complete reboot. No ties to the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sci fi Japan

Also new shots! You have to view them on the site though for now.

Since the release of the original GODZILLA (ゴジラ, Gojira) in 1954, nearly 100 million people have bought tickets to see Godzilla in Japanese cinemas. The monster’s popularity has spread far beyond Japan, resulting in the 2014 Hollywood version of GODZILLA which grossed approximately ¥57 billion ($529 million) worldwide, making him the international “King of the Monsters”. The Japanese government’s Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry has even presented Godzilla as one of the symbols of “Cool Japan”, a campaign promoting the country’s growing impact on world culture.

And now, Toho answers the growing demand for the Japanese version of Godzilla with their first new Godzilla movie in 12 years.

In the years since Toho put the Godzilla series on hiatus following the 50th anniversary production GODZILLA: FINAL WARS (ゴジラ ファイナルウォーズ, Gojira Fainaru Uoozu, 2004), the Japanese film industry has made a tremendous leap in visual effects technology. Toho has been involved in a number of high quality works and, with pride in the growth of Japanese film, has taken up the challenge to produce a new Godzilla.

The writer and director of GODZILLA RESURGENCE is Hideaki Anno, the renowned creator of the anime NEON GENESIS EVANGELION (新世紀エヴァンゲリオン, Shin Seiki Evangelion, 1995) whose works has earned him fans all over the world. In 2007 he revived his franchise with the first in a series of “Rebirth of Evangelion” feature films that have all been major hits as the box office — EVANGELION: 1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版: 序, Evangerion Shin Gekijooban: Jo) earned ¥2 billion (approximately $19 million), EVANGELION: 2.22 YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版: 破, Evangelion Shin Gekijoban: Ha, 2009) ¥4 billion ($38 million) and EVANGELION: 3.0 YOU CAN (NOT) REDO (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:Q, Evangerion Shin Gekijooban: Kyuu, 2012) ¥5.3 billion ($50 million). Despite this success, Anno decided to postpone the fourth and final “Rebuild” in order to make GODZILLA RESURGENCE.

Co-directing GODZILLA RESURGENCE is Anno’s longtime ally, Shinji Higuchi. Shortly after graduating from high school, Higuchi joined the film industry as a staff member on THE RETURN OF GODZILLA (ゴジラ, Gojira, 1984). After working with Anno on EVANGELION, he directed the special effects on the acclaimed Gamera Trilogy (1995-99). He has also directed blockbusters; SINKING OF JAPAN (日本沈没, Nihon Chinbotsu, 2006) made ¥5.34 billion ($50 million), THE FLOATING CASTLE (のぼうの城, Nobo no Shiro, 2012) ¥2.84 billion ($27 million) while the two live-action ATTACK ON TITAN (進撃の巨人, Shingeki no Kyojin, 2015) movies earned a combined ¥4.93 billion ($46 million).

Anno and Higuchi will introduce the largest Godzilla to date. Standing 118.5 meters (389 feet) tall, the new Godzilla takes the crown from the previous record holder: the 2014 Hollywood Godzilla (108 meters/354 feet). The monster also features a new design to instill “great fear” in its victims.

While previous Godzilla movies have linked back to the 1954 original, the makers of GODZILLA RESURGENCE chose to present a story in which Godzilla appears in Japan for the first time. With a staff of 1000 peopleand shooting on an unprecedented scale for the franchise, Anno and Higuchi aim to bring the overwhelming reality of Godzilla to the big screen.

WNo2s7k.jpg

I'm sorry, but that silhouette just looks bad. The lava motif and overall scarier approach is cool, but between the googly eyes, the baby arms, the stub tail, and now the thunder thighs silhouette, I'm not a fan of this design.

Toxi

Banned
How many reboots has this franchise had anyway?

You got Heisei era, Godzilla 1998, God knows how many reboots in the Millennium era, Godzilla 2014, and now another reboot.

geomon

I'm sorry, but that silhouette just looks bad. The lava motif and overall scarier approach is cool, but between the googly eyes, the baby arms, the stub tail, and now the thunder thighs silhouette, I'm not a fan of this design.

Have to agree. That design is just...meh.

Godzilla must have gotten fake butt implants and is scouring Japan searching for his money back.

Definitely a weird design from lots of angles. Seems like it was designed for close-ups and camera trickery first.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The design actually makes a bit of sense. A creature that fucking big would need a far stronger, larger lower half to support its bipedal frame. I can imagine the top half of the creature wouldn't be nearly as gigantic in comparison the lower half.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Looks fucking amazing! I can't wait to see it, I hope it comes to North America...

JdFoX187

Banned
Really, really looking forward to this, but goddamn, the design just seems to get worse and worse the more I see it. Those fucking arms.

Mully

The design makes sense in context of who's directing/writing for the film. This Godzilla shares many features of the monsters from Evangellion.

gamz

I have to agree. It looks terrible.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Eeeehhhh, I liked that first teaser, but damn those thighs look ridiculous.

Sephzilla

Hmm so I guess this throws out the theory that this is actually a Godzilla that survived the Oxygen Destroyer.

Oh wow, yeah from that angle Godzilla looks really... eh

How many reboots has this franchise had anyway?

You got Heisei era, Godzilla 1998, God knows how many reboots in the Millennium era, Godzilla 2014, and now another reboot.

Heisei Era reboot
1998 remake
Godzilla 2000 reboot*
Megaguiris reboot*
GMK reboot*
Godzilla against MechaGodzilla reboot*
Final Wars reboot* **
2014 remake
Resurgence reboot

*The Millennium Series went way overboard with reboots

**There's a fan theory that Final Wars Godzilla is actually Godzilla Jr from the end of Vs Destroyah. So if that was true this wouldn't be a reboot

Sephzilla

I'm actually surprised it's a complete reboot, even disregarding the 1954 movie. All of the other Japanese reboots still adhere to the 1954 movie

Final Wars is cool, but it loses a million points for turning Hedorah into a jobber.

Everyone is a jobber to Godzilla in Final Wars. The only way you were a kaiju who didn't job hard to Godzilla in that movie was either

1) Be Ghidorah
2) Not be in the movie

So MechaGodzilla, Biollante, and Destroyah were safe. Mothra technically didn't job to Godzilla in that movie but instead Mothra put up an L to Gigan.

Blader

**There's a fan theory that Final Wars Godzilla is actually Godzilla Jr from the end of Vs Destroyah. So if that was true this wouldn't be a reboot

IIRC that was actually written into the first draft of the movie, but never made its way into the final cut.

Sephzilla

IIRC that was actually written into the first draft of the movie, but never made its way into the final cut.

I think you're right. I also remember Biollante and MechaGodzilla being in the early drafts too but had to get cut out. Man, Final Wars Godzilla being a canon Godzilla Jr would have been fucking awesome. I hate it when good ideas get cut out of a movie. Like, for example, Godzilla vs Space Godzilla in one version of the script was going to end with Space Godzilla fighting both Godzilla and a rebuilt MechaGodzilla 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom