• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo PR: 40 million downloads of Super Mario Run in 4 days

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I remember seeing it's like 4%, but I think Nintendo should be above that.
It's a lot lower than 4%.

On average it never hits 2%.

Consider this, that 2% generally spends more than $10 on the game and a portion of that 2% subsidizes the other 98%.

Nintendo do doesn't want that whale mentality for MR, which is respectable.

Now I think Nintendo will have IAP games, but they will have it for games where IAP doesn't damage the value of actually playing the game.

I do not think you could do a Mario Platformer with IAP and not damage the value of the gameplay.
 

kmag

Member
Aug 27, 2012
7,154
0
0
I remember seeing it's like 4%, but I think Nintendo should be above that.
Sure but there's no real reason they'd be that much above it, especially with the 'high' sticker price. The overwhelming majority of users are conditioned not to pay for any app. Even the microtransaction behavioural crack approach has a pretty low cash conversion rate.

Nintendo will almost certainly pull a profit on this and it's essentially promotion for the brand. I'm not seeing a crisis or even much of an issue over it's reception.
 
Jul 28, 2014
13,406
24
415
would love to know how much Apple paid for the timed exclusive
The promise of better anti-piracy security and advertising measures to ensure its known in the App Store (Constant front page advertisement, being the centerpiece of the new iOS update with Mario Run branded messaging stickers, being the first game to utilize the store's Notify button, etc.)
 

infiniteloop

Member
Nov 6, 2006
10,176
0
1,045
The promise of better anti-piracy security and advertising measures to ensure its known in the App Store (Constant front page advertisement, being the centerpiece of the new iOS update with Mario Run branded messaging stickers, being the first game to utilize the store's Notify button, etc.)
Don't see what anti-piracy Apple would provide Nintendo in this instance that any other developer would not receive.
Front Page advertising, sure, but that benefits Apple from the 30% they take.
Wouldn't say the Mario Run stickers were in any way the centerpiece of iOS 10 more than any other sticker packs was.

Would be amazed if Apple didn't give Nintendo $$$ to keep it off Android for a limited time.
 

Davey Cakes

Member
Dec 5, 2008
14,511
535
1,160
Quincy, Massachusetts
I not only downloaded it. I bought it. Even after saying I wouldn't! That's what happens when you have spare credit.

I like forward to the nights where I curl up in bed with this simply fun game.

Nintendo need not dedicate themselves to a single model. I think they can survive serving multiple audiences. We already know their Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem efforts won't be premium-priced. It doesn't hurt to maintain a variety of experiences and price points so long as the games are quality.