• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG Galaxy 2.0 - Argos update (December 2019) - multi-launcher friend list is in.

Dontero

Banned
inB4: GOG galaxy 2.0 is still in closed beta, you can apply here but you need to wait for invite, it will eventually reach you. NO text chat is still not finishes and not announced. So for now you can only see who is playing what but you can't talk to them from GOG galaxy launcher.

Amazing update. GOG Galaxy just added multi-launcher friends list.
Which means you can see now people online from other launchers not just gog galaxy and what they are playing.
Also if you change your status in GOG galaxy it changes status for all those platforms.

That is the second huge update this year after they added time tracking for ALL games not just launcher games. Thanks to that update you can even track your emulated games time, old dos games etc.

How does it look like:

unknown.png

New features
  • Cross-platform friends: See your friends’ online status and which games they're currently playing without switching between multiple clients and launchers.
  • Share your stats: Show your cross-platform gaming stats by sharing on social media the number of games owned, achievements earned and hours played, once you connect all your platforms.
Changelog
2.0.10 Closed Beta (December 05, 2019)
Known issues:
  • All Games view - some games may appear as "Unknown" in the games library
  • All Games view - Grid view - scroll performance is subject to significant improvement in upcoming releases
  • Syncing bookmarks between devices doesn't work yet
  • Certain features from GOG GALAXY 1.2 are still missing (launching games with parameters)
General:
  • Fixed showing incorrect background for newly registered users
  • Fixed issue with backgrounds sometimes not changing correctly When navigating history
  • Increased default width of the GOG GALAXY 2.0 window to 1740px
  • Added a button for order history in avatar dropdown
  • Security fixes
Friends:
  • Added Friends Sidebar on the right side of the application (only on resolution with width bigger than 1500px) Global search:
  • TWeaked input brightness Recent view:
  • Added a button in the top navigation allowing you to share your statistics (game time, achievements, etc.) with your friends
Library:
  • [List view] Added a visual hint showing you how many games are in a stack
  • [List view] Fixed showing Platform icon and name for some games
  • Will no longer show DLCs as games when launching GOG GALAXY 2.0 offline
  • Improved the sorting of dupliCated games in a stack
Game View:
  • Added a tooltip to show the name of the game in release switcher
  • Fixed an issue with overriding images for some games
Integrations:
  • Improved the stability of connections with plugins
  • Fixed an issue with retrieving game times for some platforms
  • Fixed an issue with authentication window appearing before actually trying to connect
Settings:
  • Added a setting to hide the store from the sidebar
  • Added a setting to disable Friends Sidebar

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I like that the friends list thing can be easily collapsed and tucked away. Valve should take note - give your users options. I've still only really booted up the new Steam client a handful of times (and only then to actually launch games) because of their huge fucking "What's New" section at the top of the library that you can't get rid of.

GOG Galaxy 2.0 is miles better.

MadYarpen

Finally!

And I have a question. Does it mimic Steam's big picture mode somehow? So that I can use DS4 without any additional app?

Last edited:

Lucumo

So is it still Win 10 only or should I hold out hope some future version will run on Win 7?
On what OS can I use GOG GALAXY 2.0?

Currently, GALAXY 2.0 supports MacOS and Windows 8.0 or newer. People reported it's also working on Windows 7, though as it is not supported, this might change any time. There are currently no known plans for Linux support.
...it says.

adamosmaki

I have been using it for a couple of months and love it so far. My only nit pick is that it needs to launch the client [steam,Epic etc ] when it needs to update a game . Other than that the last couple of months is been smooth sailing and feels less convoluted than steam while still having more features than freaking Epic store

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Still no integrated community tab like the old client?

Does installing gog games from the back up option (it's understandable from the integrated install) still launch the client from the shortcut (so you need to manually make a shortcut from the game exe yourself if you want that, which then may have a different icon if you pin it to Start)?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What do you mean? A list where it has all your friends from all the integrated platforms?
No, the old client has the gog forums integrated just like the main store page, you click community and it takes you there. Gog forums can be useful like Steam forums for patches, mods, and so on.

Last edited:

GHG

No, the old client has the gog forums integrated just like the main store page, you click community and it takes you there. Gog forums can be useful like Steam forums for patches, mods, and so on.

Ah gotcha. Can't see anything like that in the client (or if it's there it's not immediately obvious).

I'm sure it will make it over eventually since they previously stated they want this to eventually have all the features of the old GOG launcher.

GHG

So what's the deal with this tracking time played in games? Does it do it on it's own accord or does it hook into the data produced in the launchers it connects to?

For example I just played about an hour of Modern Warfare but it didn't seem to track any time played. I assume that's because the battle.net client doesn't track that as a metric?

zeorhymer

So what's the deal with this tracking time played in games? Does it do it on it's own accord or does it hook into the data produced in the launchers it connects to?

For example I just played about an hour of Modern Warfare but it didn't seem to track any time played. I assume that's because the battle.net client doesn't track that as a metric?
OMG!!!! The client is accessing information from a different application! Who knows what else it's reading!

GHG

OMG!!!! The client is accessing information from a different application! Who knows what else it's reading!

It literally tells you this when you connect it to the other networks...

Are you worried it will reveal your fetish to the world?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Different integrations have different rules. Here's a pretty good compatibility matrix:

One of the best things I've found with GOG Galaxy and playtime tracking is that it will track play time for games where you just link the executable on your PC. So I have been playing Final Fantasy XI (not the Steam version) and I have the executable linked to GOG Galaxy 2.0. The client tracks my play time (in addition to looking awesome) so I'm pretty excited about that personally.

GHG

Different integrations have different rules. Here's a pretty good compatibility matrix:

One of the best things I've found with GOG Galaxy and playtime tracking is that it will track play time for games where you just link the executable on your PC. So I have been playing Final Fantasy XI (not the Steam version) and I have the executable linked to GOG Galaxy 2.0. The client tracks my play time (in addition to looking awesome) so I'm pretty excited about that personally.

Awesome, thanks for that link.

Had no idea you could also connect emulators to the client as well, looks like I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Anyone know why I don't get screenshots/videos in some of my games in my library in the "OVERVIEW" section? Happens on two different systems.

Martian Dreams:

YK2oVtQ.jpg

Savage Empire:

r6HT19o.jpg

Ultima Underworld:

jjWLxjP.jpg

Top Bottom