• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Gorky 17 is a really cool turn-based tactical game that should appeal to anyone who's into X-Com or Japanese SRPGs. I've only played it for an hour and the difficulty ramps up really quickly. Although I'm sure it's manageable once you get to know the game a bit better.

While I liked what I read and watched of X-Com it sadly wasn't for me, and I'm not very good with Japanese SRPGs. However what I've read of Gorky...interested me. The difficulty thing isn't discouraging me from it though =3

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just got Realm of the Haunting. Why? Aside from it being hella cheap, I have really been drawn to unique games. I guess I have enough of the standard genres. I also like how old game engines present more cartoon-like graphics. Something about the "flat" appearance despite 3D gameplay is something you can't really get with newer games.

Minsc

Gold Member
Defender's Quest is 60% off today, down to $6. It's really an incredible game (I'm working through new game +), and even if you don't normally like tower-defense games, it's got a fun story (best in the genre) and a bunch of rpg elements to it that are very well done. You earn gold from the battles as well as experience, and each level has 4 difficulty settings, you get special bonuses for perfectly clearing them on normal through the hardest, and the game has a nice variety of units that allow for various strategies. After battles you can recruit additional units or purchase better weapons/armor. The levels are a lot of fun and mix it up a bit as they go on and even the boss fights are well done.

If you ever found yourself enjoying Plants vs Zombies, Defense Grid, Kingdom Rush, or any other of the top-tier TD games, for $6 you can't go wrong with this one.

Tizoc

Defender's Quest is 60% off today, down to $6. It's really an incredible game (I'm working through new game +), and even if you don't normally like tower-defense games, it's got a fun story (best in the genre) and a bunch of rpg elements to it that are very well done. You earn gold from the battles as well as experience, and each level has 4 difficulty settings, you get special bonuses for perfectly clearing them on normal through the hardest, and the game has a nice variety of units that allow for various strategies. After battles you can recruit additional units or purchase better weapons/armor. The levels are a lot of fun and mix it up a bit as they go on and even the boss fights are well done.

If you ever found yourself enjoying Plants vs Zombies, Defense Grid, Kingdom Rush, or any other of the top-tier TD games, for $6 you can't go wrong with this one.

I dislike TD games as they don't appeal to me but I've been eying this game mainly becase of the RPG elements and that it has a hint of Point n' Click Adventure gaming.
Might bite down on that price @_@.

Tizoc

Man I need a gameplay vid of Defender's Quest to get me to buy it, the ones I watched on YT are scaring me =_=.

Minsc

Gold Member
Man I need a gameplay vid of Defender's Quest to get me to buy it, the ones I watched on YT are scaring me =_=.

There's a free in browser demo on the promo page and home page. The graphics work, they're obviously not Disney level or anything, but the in game animation is smooth and fits with the style nicely.

Conquest: Frontier Wars

Another I have nothing on. Again, looks a bit Homeworldy. Sounds like it's structured in a bit more of a 4X fashion, though.
Woah... Conquest? How did THAT happen?

As for your second part though, wrong on both counts -- Conquest is a traditional RTS at heart. It's not Homeworld or a 4X game, it's more like Warcraft or something, but in space. It's a great game; I bought it when it first came out, and it was one of my favorite non-Blizzard RTSes ever then. It was the first polygonal 3d RTS that I unoquivably liked; I had not thought too much of earlier ones like Earth 2150 or Ground Control. The game's 2.5d, so it plays on a flat plane, viewed from above. In the game you build bases around planets, where you can build your fleets from. Each planet has a limited number of building slots around it, helping the strategy. There are three somewhat different races. So yeah, gather resources, build fleets, explore and fight the enemy (each mission is made up of multiple star systems connected with warp gates), play through the story, get annoyed at the end that the s4equel still doesn't exist... Great fun game.

Unfortunately it didn't sell all that great, so the addon/squel that they had had in development was never completed or released, tragically. I still want to play it... and not that little test version that leaked, but a full version of it.

Anyway though, it's pretty awesome to see this here. Fever Pitch Studios had a pretty rough history -- first Conquest sold okay but not great, then the sequel was cancelled during development, then they got bought by Warthog, then Warthog got bought by Tiger Telematics (yes, THAT Tiger Telematics, of Gizmondo fame), then the company went under, then Eric Perterson (studio head, worked at Origin in the '90s) tried to piece something together, but his Conquest 2 kickstarter campaign last year failed. I guess now he's gone this. I hope that someday Conquest 2 actually happens. :)

Tizoc

There's a free in browser demo on the promo page and home page. The graphics work, they're obviously not Disney level or anything, but the in game animation is smooth and fits with the style nicely.

Oh cool will go dl it soon Hope it'll interest me in the game =)

Tizoc

Hah, that was fun, but there seem to be a lot of enemies during final waves, which I feel is unnecessary. Keeping an eye on 2 areas of the screen takes getting used to but man...now I wanna get it for the story X3. I'll buy it soon before going to bed.

For those that played and beat it, is grinding OK or does it affect later battles? Like the stronger you are, the stronger your enemy?

Minsc

Gold Member
Hah, that was fun, but there seem to be a lot of enemies during final waves, which I feel is unnecessary. Keeping an eye on 2 areas of the screen takes getting used to but man...now I wanna get it for the story X3. I'll buy it soon before going to bed.

For those that played and beat it, is grinding OK or does it affect later battles? Like the stronger you are, the stronger your enemy?

The enemies don't scale, but obviously later levels and higher difficulties use stronger enemies. I finished the game without grinding (replaying levels I beat on the same difficulty). There's a significant increase of difficult and also reward for finishing the higher difficulty settings, so do return to the earlier levels and replay them on harder settings once you've made a little progress to get all the gold stars (you might even find them easier than the normal levels further along)... the xp and rewards are worth it, and the levels play a little differently because the enemies are stronger (and so are your party). Just pay attention to the enemy level range prior to starting a level... it will say like 3-8 or something, and compare it against other levels. You'll know you're out of your league if it's vastly higher. There's a few special challenge levels that are optional and purposely impossible, which I haven't beaten, but you can return to them at any point, even after you start a new game +.

Lime

Thanks for the reminder! Demo seemed really entertaining. I might buy this when I get home from work tomorrow.

The enemies are the same no matter your level. There are multiple difficulties for each level, but you can pick them at the start and you can go back and play it on higher difficulties. If you beat or perfect a level in a high difficulty, it automatically gives you the rewards for beating/perfecting the lower difficulties, so no need for pointless replays. Later levels will be challenging on high difficulty no matter how much you grind (especially in NG+), but easier difficulties are do-able without grinding, so you don't need it to see the story.

Tizoc

Bought the game last night before going to bed =)

BTW that 500 games give-away is ending in an hour XO

wazoo

Considering the weird state of affairs for NeverWinter Nights 2, the death of Atari and its removal from steam, having a drm free version there should not be missed.

Minsc

Gold Member
It also includes the Mysteries of Westgate expansion (though it's no MotB), which is mainly notable as Steam never had that expansion or was really compatible with it. You can only really get Westgate running with the physical version afaik, even the Gold and Platinum physical bundles don't include it (which also sell on amazon for ~$25 / $100), so you had to buy it direct from their online store after getting a physical copy.

Durante

It's very nice that there's a truly complete, DRM-free edition of NWN2 available now. I recommended it to someone once who couldn't really find a good way to buy it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's very nice that there's a truly complete, DRM-free edition of NWN2 available now. I recommended it to someone once who couldn't really find a good way to buy it.
GamersGate has DRM on it? It's more expensive than gog's now but it was there for a long time and has had sales. I'd have bought it from there if I was interested, like I got the D&D Anthology previously despite having 2 of the games on gog.

Minsc

Gold Member
GamersGate has DRM on it? It's more expensive than gog's now but it was there for a long time and has had sales. I'd have bought it from there if I was interested, like I got the D&D Anthology previously despite having 2 of the games on gog.

GamersGate doesn't appear to be selling it as far as I can see (there's an alert me when available button), but the emphasis was on the "truly complete" point as the GamersGate version is not the full set of expansions like this one, and I don't think Westgate will install properly / easily on any non-retail version of the game (it certainly didn't on Steam's version), excluding this bundle obviously.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I want a Homeworld 2 HD port, is hell getting it to run properly nowadays

You install it... and run it....?

It works fine on Win 7 x64.

You can even set custom resolutions and easily downsample the hell out of it.

ik4HlAnDPhYTf.png

ifWOFICc8qLun.png

mclem

It also includes the Mysteries of Westgate expansion (though it's no MotB),

I do have a problem with that.

Westgate is a small seaside resort in the south-east of England; it's where I spent many a holiday when I was a child. It's near Margate, which is better-known.

As far as I'm concerned, "Mysteries of Westgate" involves rock pools.

cicero

It also includes the Mysteries of Westgate expansion (though it's no MotB), which is mainly notable as Steam never had that expansion or was really compatible with it. You can only really get Westgate running with the physical version afaik, even the Gold and Platinum physical bundles don't include it (which also sell on amazon for ~$25 / $100), so you had to buy it direct from their online store after getting a physical copy.

It was also available on GamersGate, they also had it on sale individually as well. People were able to take the file from Gamersgate and stick it in their Steam install.

I was waiting for hit a sale again because I missed multiple GG sale pricing errors but it never happened again before Atari lost the rights and Hasbro picked them up. Now we get a superior version on GOG, but at a higher price point. It will be a while before I pick this up in a heavily discounted sale.

Apparently the old Mysteries of Westgate page is still up at the GamersGate UK store. You just can't buy it now.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Is there any chance for the Discworld series to show up on GOG? I can't get my Discworld 2 to run. Who even owns the series now?

Lancehead

Here's my quick assessment of the game.

OC: Forgettable except the Crossroads Keep and the associated "stronghold" mechanics.
MotB: Excellent writing, story, and plot. The Spirit Eater mechanic keeps restspamming, killing-for-the-laughs at bay, and is a great mechanic that ties gameplay and roleplay.
SoZ: Has neat elements like creating your own party, overworld map travel, full party dialogue, trading etc. But the content is lacking. I never got myself to finishing it.
MoW: Some like it, I don't.

All of them suffer from clunky RTwP mechanics, mostly because they're using 3.5E D&D.

I'd buy it if it was $ 10, but I already have it on Steam.

cicero

For those interested in NWN2 complete, check out this deal on Gamestop:

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/dd-ultimate-pack/102768?loc=bestsellers_row2_col1

Pretty absurd... and it says every expansion ever made for NWN2 is included.

Wonderful deal, except for that whole "Gamestop app" needed to download and play your games. I will stick with my DRM Free GOG versions and buy NWN2 again when it hits the now obligatory GOG 60% off Weekend or 50% off Holiday promotions.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That's like 1 cent per gameplay hour, haha.

Honestly, higher prices at GOG are good to make sure you pace yourself with them. DRM free is always a win.

jb1234

I'd love to pick up NWN2 but that's a little too expensive for me right now. I'll wait for a good sale. Besides, I'm having a blast with modded Freespace 2. Looks terrific on my HDTV.

mantidor

God damn at Homeworld, I can't still believe my disc got stolen :( and those screens aren't even in the most beautiful scenarios of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom