• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | News and Updates 2017 - Back to the basics

Tizoc

Silent Hill PC ports is at the top of my list for old game downloads.

Dark Souls DRM free would also be pretty cool.

Seriously if they somehow manage to get the SH PC games on gog, even if it's the old ones that can be modded, that's gonna get a lot sales for gog :p

But the games mentioned are classics so I'm keep things simple and assume they're old PC games that hadn't been released before on a digital service
NOLF!

Does anyone here in the US use pay as you go credit cards for GoG? The reason why I'm asking is my bank's credit card doesn't want to work internationally anymore. Well, every time I want to use it internationally, I have to call and get it pre-authorize and then it takes 72 hours to be attached. I wish I could just get a blanket approval for GoG. I thought maybe one of those reloadable credit cards might work.

ShadowOwl

Honestly the one Bamco title I could see on there is Dark Souls [...]
The hints from the GOG forum point to classic/old games. Also, Dark Souls just switched to Steamworks for multiplayer, which took ages to be done, so that's highly unlikely.

It's a bunch of D&D games.

Edit:

Eye of the Beholder 1, 2 and 3
Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Hillsfar
Secret of the Silver Blades
Pools of Darkness
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures
Dungeon Hack
Menzoberranzan

ricki42

And they are all on Linux, Mac, and Windows. My wallet is crying.

Edit: Actually, the third collection is Mac and Windows only so far.

jvm

Gamasutra.

Edit:

Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Hillsfar
Pools of Darkness
Dungeon Hack
Menzoberranzan
Wow.

Wow.

Persona7

Banned
Does anyone here in the US use pay as you go credit cards for GoG? The reason why I'm asking is my bank's credit card doesn't want to work internationally anymore. Well, every time I want to use it internationally, I have to call and get it pre-authorize and then it takes 72 hours to be attached. I wish I could just get a blanket approval for GoG. I thought maybe one of those reloadable credit cards might work.

They will work if the pre-paid card allows international transactions. You can also use paypal without a account and the transaction will be based in the US.

Persona7

Banned
If I remember correctly Konami ended up solving all the legal issues even with Silent Hill 3 so they are just sitting on money for no reason. I have no problem with SH3 because it's a great port but the other two games need heavy modifications and GOG could easily do that. I wish I could create a installer for SH3 that I could just install instead of messing with a bunch of disks.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If I remember correctly Konami ended up solving all the legal issues even with Silent Hill 3 so they are just sitting on money for no reason. I have no problem with SH3 because it's a great port but the other two games need heavy modifications and GOG could easily do that. I wish I could create a installer for SH3 that I could just install instead of messing with a bunch of disks.

Somebody said the Konami and Bamco entries were there after the site had its redesign back last September. So, there's presumably nothing actually going on on that front. Which is all a bit deflating.

ShadowOwl

So I just did some digging on GOG's site to see if I could figure out what tomorrows announcement might be. My investigation proved fruitful. There are several new publishers listed under the games catalog who all have no games currently listed on the site:

[...]
Well, something has happened 2 days ago:
From MaGog's logs for 21 August:

[...]

The directory names of the download links for Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics have been renamed from
fallout, fallout_2, and fallout_tactics
to
fallout_classic, fallout_2_classic, and fallout_tactics_classic
Source: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_what_did_just_update_thread/post10064

Very suspicious change, maybe we're going to see Bethesda - or at least the classic Fallout games including the updated versions by Bethesda - on GOG again after all.

Persona7

Banned
Wow, I can get SOMA on GOG. Luckily I did not pre-purchase it anywhere.

I would definitely buy a bunch of Bethesda games on GOG if they were to come.

Danny Dudekisser

Very suspicious change, maybe we're going to see Bethesda - or at least the classic Fallout games including the updated versions by Bethesda - on GOG again after all.

Could be really cool. I just hope Bethesda support extends beyond the games that were already on the platform. Some of their newer stuff wouldn't hurt, either...

Seriously, Wolfenstein: The New Order DRM-free? Would be nuts.

Could be really cool. I just hope Bethesda support extends beyond the games that were already on the platform. Some of their newer stuff wouldn't hurt, either...

Seriously, Wolfenstein: The New Order DRM-free? Would be nuts.

Oblivion / Fallout 3 would be enough for me for a very long time. I love both of those games, but they need a bit of that GOG love and polish to make them run better on newer versions of Windows.

Danny Dudekisser

Grandia II port's got some issues, but it sounds like they'll get fixed, so I'm tempted to buy the game while it's on sale. Sounds like, minor bugs notwithstanding, this will actually be better than the Dreamcast original.

jumper

Edit:

Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Hillsfar
Pools of Darkness
Dungeon Hack
Menzoberranzan

Awesome! Now I can finally finish Curse of the Azure Bonds.

I hope digitized versions of the original manuals are included.

Dsyndrome

GOG Galaxy 1.0 Beta's Preview's out. Notable things:

- Rollbacks - option to manually rollback your game to a previous version
- Installation screen - manage more installation options before download begins
- Pause/Resume functionality
- Friends search - search for new friends without using the forums
- Improved application wide back/forward navigation
- Improved performance (CPU and RAM usage, application launch)
- Better HiDPI support
- New sidebar compact style
- Double click to launch game in sidebar
- Various minor bug fixes and stability improvements

Interface seems sleeker IMO, haven't extensively tested thus far.

mclem

It's Bethesda. Doom, Quake, and a big pile of Elder Scrolls. Oh, and the Fallouts are back.

Notable, the Elder Scrolls thing includes Redguard and Battlespire. Arena and Daggerfall are not quite free, only being given away 'with any Bethesda purchase'.

It's Bethesda. Doom, Quake, and a big pile of Elder Scrolls. Oh, and the Fallouts are back.

Notable, the Elder Scrolls thing includes Redguard and Battlespire. Arena and Daggerfall are not quite free, only being given away 'with any Bethesda purchase'.

Very happy with this.

I already own the Fallout games from when they went free (when Interplay held the rights). Them coming back means GOG has a reason to keep them up-to-date and Windows 10 compatible. Never played Morrowind (never came to PS2, unfortunately), but heard a lot of good things. I'd expect it should be able to run on my i3 Surface Pro 3.

Head says buy Morrowind and play it until the others go on sale, heart says just get all three now and sod waiting around.

Danny Dudekisser

Okay, this I can get behind. Hopefully, it'll lead to some of the newer stuff, as well.

One thing that sticks out to me is Quake -- it sounds like it has the Trent Reznor soundtrack. Wasn't that taken out of the Steam version of the game? If it's in this release, I'm over the fucking moon.

Knurek

One thing that sticks out to me is Quake -- it sounds like it has the Trent Reznor soundtrack. Wasn't that taken out of the Steam version of the game? If it's in this release, I'm over the fucking moon.

There's a community patch to add the NIN music to Steam version, so really, no sense in purchasing the GOG one just for that.

Kinda weird how GOG acts like I don't already own the three Fallout games they put up again, even though they're in my library. I do notice they're now "Fallout Classic" instead of just Fallout...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Kinda weird how GOG acts like I don't already own the three Fallout games they put up again, even though they're in my library. I do notice they're now "Fallout Classic" instead of just Fallout...

They are different versions. The new Bethesda ones have some fixes built in.

MrFortyFive

They are different versions. The new Bethesda ones have some fixes built in.

Unless more changes have been found, I think GOG has updated the classic versions to include the fix(es) found in the newest Bethesda ones. The difference seems to lie in what's missing from the *new* versions This is the official word on it from the GOG forums:

"The only difference between the Classic editions and the Fallouts from Bethesda is that the Classic versions (as we've decided to call them) have more bonus goodies and support one additional platform - OS X. Other than that, those two editions should be identical. The main reason for this difference is that the approval process for the remaining bonus goodies takes a lot of time and we didn't want to hold up the release just because of that. ;)
To answer another question - will we ever have them included in the Bethesda versions? We will do everything in our power, of course, but I can't say for certain that we will."

From my own digging, the hi-res patch does appear to have been added to the now "classic" versions:

5dtXIOe.png

lXLX9Eq.png

draetenth

TBH, I don't think it really matters if the hi-res patch has been added or not. I would recommend using Fallout Fixt for Fallout 1 and the Unofficial Patch/Restoration Project for Fallout 2 anyway. Fallout Fixt and Unofficial Patch/Restoration Project already includes everything that Bethesda added (like the hi-res patch) in addition to fixing the numerous bugs and glitches still left in the game as well as cut content (certain installations of Fixt/Restoration Project).

MrFortyFive

TBH, I don't think it really matters if the hi-res patch has been added or not. I would recommend using Fallout Fixt for Fallout 1 and the Unofficial Patch/Restoration Project for Fallout 2 anyway. Fallout Fixt and Unofficial Patch/Restoration Project already includes everything that Bethesda added (like the hi-res patch) in addition to fixing the numerous bugs and glitches still left in the game as well as cut content (certain installations of Fixt/Restoration Project).

I'm sure you're right. I've just been curious all day to find out for sure if the classic and new versions both have the same fixes/problems etc.

Danny Dudekisser

GOG added World in Conflict today. It's $10. I'm over the moon.

I love this game, and I've wanted to see it come to the platform for years.

Persona7

Banned
Okay, this I can get behind. Hopefully, it'll lead to some of the newer stuff, as well.

Wow, I missed this. I definitely need to get Quake on GOG.

From what I can tell, the GOG version of Quake does indeed include the soundtrack... if you run the original DOS software renderer. By default it seems to use a GLIDE port (...interesting choice) that doesn't play the music for whatever reason. That said, the music seems to be misaligned a bit - using the "CD PLAY n" command in the console, I've noticed a second or two seem to get cut off of the start of most of the tracks - most glaringly, the level clear music, which is very noticeable.

Although really, if you're playing Quake these days, it should probably be with Quakespasm, with Quake Injector for more custom maps than you can shake an axe at. The old, official hardware renderers have proven to have a few graphical deficiencies over the years. Namely: some of the palette is supposed to be 100% bright all the time as per the software renderer, but isn't in the hardware; walls close to light sources are supposed to get "overbright", and do in the software renderer, but don't in the hardware... both of these are fixed by Quakespasm. Also Darkplaces, but Quakespasm has better support for newer custom maps than Darkplaces does, if you can believe that.

Danny Dudekisser

Hrmm... so it looks like that whole Bamco and Konami thing is going nowhere. Or Microsoft, at this rate.

What I wouldn't do to see Dark Souls on there...

Persona7

Banned
Hrmm... so it looks like that whole Bamco and Konami thing is going nowhere. Or Microsoft, at this rate.

What I wouldn't do to see Dark Souls on there...

I would not give up another chance to buy another version of dark souls.

Does anyone ever have issues with GOG support? I keep seeing threads about people not getting any replies. I guess I have been lucky because I contacted them three times this week and received quick responses.

Top Bottom